MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > $50K Raise For School Superintendent Sparks Controversy

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: $50K Raise For School Superintendent Sparks Controversy  (Read 490 times)

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
$50K Raise For School Superintendent Sparks Controversy
« on: October 19, 2010, 10:36:24 AM »

District Faces Large Deficit; School Board Believes Superintendent Is Underpaid

LIVONIA, Mich.  — Parents and teachers in a suburban school district are outraged over a district superintendent’s $50,000 pay raise.

The scandal is developing in Livonia, a school district with a ballooning deficit. District leaders are now doing damage control; telling the community the raise is necessary to hang on to the man that could save their schools.

Monday night, the Livonia School Board voted five to two to approve the raise, giving superintendent Randy Liepa a close to $50,000 raise.

District records indicate Liepa currently makes around $150,000 a year.

Sources tell Local 4 he went to the board a couple weeks ago, saying he was being recruited by another district.

The board reviewed his compensation package and found, according to their research, that Liepa was underpaid, sources said.

The school board argues that Liepa is too valuable to lose, but parents like Eileen McDonnel tell Local 4 that the timing isn’t right.

“When it comes down to it, it’s the community and the kids that are supposed the matter and unfortunately in this case, they’re not,” McDonnel said.

Leonard Smolen is a district employee who has seen harsh cuts.

“There are school bus drivers who have lost their medical insurance and have lost $4 an hour. They’re still working and yet we’re going to give this man $50,000? If he can’t live on his $137,000 maybe he doesn’t need to be here,”

Sources said the raise is being based on what other superintendents of districts close to Livonia’s size are making.

Liepa has been with the district for 7 years.

The raise takes affect next year.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39739359
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Re: $50K Raise For School Superintendent Sparks Controversy
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 10:56:37 AM »

I'm surprised, because I thought this ploy only worked in the business world - you make more money when you shop yourself around for the highest bidder if you are truly good at your job.   Sometimes the place you work for will pay, but most often it requires you to move to get the next level of pay.   
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi
Pages: [1]   Go Up