MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > Good u-cut Christmas tree farms in Monroe County

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good u-cut Christmas tree farms in Monroe County  (Read 2402 times)

phoff4

• Veteran Talker
  • Beep Beep!
Good u-cut Christmas tree farms in Monroe County
« on: November 17, 2010, 07:57:52 PM »

It's not to early to start planning ahead for Christmas tree season. What u-cut farms in the county have the best prices? I know Mathis Tree Farm is a great family experience, but I think their tree prices are higher to offset the entertainment. We are just looking for a large selection at a good price.

MM1

• Hero Talker
Re: Good u-cut Christmas tree farms in Monroe County
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 09:31:03 AM »

We used to do the tradition on Thanksgiving weekend to go to Mathes Tree Farm and pay for and tag our tree then go back the 1st or 2nd weekend of Dec to cut it down.  I agree their prices weren't cheap, but I just SO enjoyed their entire setup from the trees to the highschool bands playing Carols and the Santa for the kids and the hot cocoa and ciders.

All the little ones are now grown, so the "tradition" is now just a memory.  BUT, it's a great memory.  (and worth the added dollars IMO)

Hope you find the perfect tradition for you and your family.  I LOVE the memories we have from ours.

Brewer

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 10:30:36 AM »

We got ours at Bliss in Ida (map).   I did some research last year on the best needle retention trees (article here).  Fraser Fir is one of the best, and one of the top sold trees each year.  Granted, they're pricey ($50-$60), but you'll get almost no needles on the floor.  We're going to go that route every year, it was a huge difference over the $30 trees we used to get..  What a mess!   We did stop at the popular tree farm out that way, and while the music was cool, their trees were $20-$30 more.  I was glad we shopped around a bit.   

choff4

• Hero Talker
  • R.I.P. Ina
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 11:29:17 AM »

We used to do the tradition on Thanksgiving weekend to go to Mathes Tree Farm and pay for and tag our tree then go back the 1st or 2nd weekend of Dec to cut it down.  I agree their prices weren't cheap, but I just SO enjoyed their entire setup from the trees to the highschool bands playing Carols and the Santa for the kids and the hot cocoa and ciders.

All the little ones are now grown, so the "tradition" is now just a memory.  BUT, it's a great memory.  (and worth the added dollars IMO)

Hope you find the perfect tradition for you and your family.  I LOVE the memories we have from ours.

We did enjoy Mathes tree farm but when the girls were little but now they are older. We still make sure we take them with us when we do go somewhere to get a tree though.It just seems like the places we do find are not there the next year so we are looking again for a place to find a tree.

MM1

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 11:48:40 AM »

I finally went over to the "other side" and bought a big, thick, gorgeous artificial tree a few years ago.  Making the decision was the hardest part.  But, I swear NOBODY believes it's artificial once it's all decorated.  It's really OK with me now.  And, you can't beat the absence of needles driven into the carpet for 3 months after Christmas either!  :D  :D

(Not to mention that now I can keep it up as long as I want to  :)  :)  :) )

No, I now put my money into the sparkly decorations I get to keep year after year  instead of a tree that we end up tossing to the curb. (literally)

NOT TO SAY I don't appreciate a real tree.  I really DO!    :)

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 03:23:41 PM »

We went the artificial route several years ago once the kids really didn't take interest in the family event of going out and tagging a tree. 

I think I was more hurt by the lack of interest in the tradition, but hell, kids grow up and get lives of their own.

We fill the void by getting a small, real tree and setting it up as well.  To MM1's point, the confinement to a smaller area of needle scattering has made that issue more tolerable.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

naomi43

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 03:37:33 PM »

My cousin has a tree farm on Strasburg Rd between Rauch rd. and county rd. 151. The trees are $15.00 u cut. This might be the last year she is going to do it because her dad passed away last March and they are going to sell the farm.

MorningStar

• Active Talker
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 04:16:15 PM »

So - Hubby and I ventured out this morning to search for our Christmas Tree.  We have been going to Matthes for years, but, decided to check out a few other tree farms this year. Our first stop was Bliss Nursery in Ida.  Really did not have a big selection of tall trees - we like at least a 7 - 7 1/2' tree. And to be fair we are, also, very "picky" and just want that "perfect" tree :-)                               
Our next stop was Ryans Nursery - just down the road from Bliss.  Very, very nice trees.  We found a beautiful tree on the first lane we went down. It is a Douglas Fir.  Tall and Oh, so full! You can cut your own tree down or they will cut it for you - same price. Total cost including tax, shaking and wrapping was $66.00.  We will definitely return there next year!
Pages: [1]   Go Up