MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Hobbies & Arts > What are you reading right now?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you reading right now?  (Read 28874 times)

CatLady

• Hero Talker
Re: What are you reading right now?
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2011, 10:47:07 AM »

Finally getting to the Harry Potter series - very enjoyable reading.
I'm trying to like people but it's hard to get past the STUPID ones!

“I've never had a humble opinion in my life. If you're going to have one, why bother to be humble about it?”
Joan Baez

Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid.

PXaiver

« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2011, 12:11:21 PM »

Just finished The Blind Assassin by Margret Atwood.  It was really good but different than any other novel I read of hers.  Now I need to find something light before I dive in to Oryx and Crake.

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
  • 1972 - 1975
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2011, 12:34:32 PM »

Finally getting to the Harry Potter series - very enjoyable reading.

I could read them all over again and again.  In fact, I have!

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2011, 12:47:34 PM »

Just finished The Blind Assassin by Margret Atwood.  It was really good but different than any other novel I read of hers.  Now I need to find something light before I dive in to Oryx and Crake.
Oryx and Crake is a GREAT book! I read it about 7 years ago or so and I still find myself thinking about it. Margaret Atwood is brilliant. Enjoy!

AngelaK

• Hero Talker
  • Justice for Julia!!
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2011, 04:49:37 PM »

OMG I want to read this!!  Lemme borrow it when you are done!

PXaiver

« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2011, 02:06:52 PM »

OMG I want to read this!!  Lemme borrow it when you are done!

I'll let you borrow it if you promise to give me back Baltimore. ;D

AngelaK

• Hero Talker
  • Justice for Julia!!
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2011, 02:44:54 PM »

I'll let you borrow it if you promise to give me back Baltimore. ;D

I have it in my pretty little hands right now.  I'll bring it home with me tonight and if you ever decide to come and drink that 12 pack with me, it's yours LOL.

Seriously though, I just can't stomach The Stand.  It's boring the hell out of me.  I need a good thirller preferably post apocalyptic.  Nothing has satisfied me since reading Swan Song.  Well, except for H.P. Lovecraft.  But those are just short stories.  I need a good long read! 

Collegekid

• Hero Talker
  • Doing the impossible makes us mighty.
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2011, 03:09:43 PM »

I have it in my pretty little hands right now.  I'll bring it home with me tonight and if you ever decide to come and drink that 12 pack with me, it's yours LOL.

Seriously though, I just can't stomach The Stand.  It's boring the hell out of me.  I need a good thirller preferably post apocalyptic.  Nothing has satisfied me since reading Swan Song.  Well, except for H.P. Lovecraft.  But those are just short stories.  I need a good long read! 

Try The Road, from Cormac McCarthy.  I only read part of it for a class, but it was pretty post-apocalyptic and all.   I might still have my copy around here somewhere.  After my move if I find it, it's yours.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road
http://daveherndon.blogspot.com/

You believe in life after death, I believe in death after life

I swear it upon Zeus; an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.

- Socrates

Non Illegitimati Carborundum

"Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they are going to collapse. But the very best know the mind tires before the body and push themselves further and further, beyond all limits. Only when these limits are shattered can the unattainable be reached."

AngelaK

• Hero Talker
  • Justice for Julia!!
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2011, 03:14:10 PM »

Try The Road, from Cormac McCarthy.  I only read part of it for a class, but it was pretty post-apocalyptic and all.   I might still have my copy around here somewhere.  After my move if I find it, it's yours.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road

Already read it and LOVED it.  Not as good as Swan Song but very disturbing indeed.  There were a few parts I had to actually close the book.  I saw the movie also and loved it!  They did a great job!

Collegekid

• Hero Talker
  • Doing the impossible makes us mighty.
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2011, 03:16:40 PM »

Well I tried. lol.
http://daveherndon.blogspot.com/

You believe in life after death, I believe in death after life

I swear it upon Zeus; an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.

- Socrates

Non Illegitimati Carborundum

"Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they are going to collapse. But the very best know the mind tires before the body and push themselves further and further, beyond all limits. Only when these limits are shattered can the unattainable be reached."

AngelaK

• Hero Talker
  • Justice for Julia!!
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2011, 03:30:22 PM »

Well I tried. lol.

That's all that counts my squishy  ;)
At least you tried lol.

PXaiver

« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2011, 07:36:17 AM »

A thriller that's post apocalyptic.....I would say play Fallout 3 but I know you don't like video games.   Hmmm....well there is a book called Night Watch.  Its a book by a Russian author who's name escapes me.  There's actually a full series though I only read book 1.  I liked it but I can't remember where my copy is.

AngelaK

• Hero Talker
  • Justice for Julia!!
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2011, 09:39:55 AM »

A thriller that's post apocalyptic.....I would say play Fallout 3 but I know you don't like video games.   Hmmm....well there is a book called Night Watch.  Its a book by a Russian author who's name escapes me.  There's actually a full series though I only read book 1.  I liked it but I can't remember where my copy is.

Oh, its not that I don't like video games.  I was addicted at one time.  Since the kids got older and my Playstation became obsolete, I just never invested in a new system.

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2011, 06:26:39 PM »

The Inner Circle by Brad Meltzer. Then I'll be caught up with all of his novels.
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

PXaiver

« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2011, 10:26:30 AM »

I picked up Moneyball at the airport to read on the plane.  Very good book so far.  It has a lot more statistics than I thought it would but despite that the over-lying story is excellent.  I can't wait to see the movie now.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up