MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > We're All But Done

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 419   Go Down

Author Topic: We're All But Done  (Read 306645 times)

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
Re: We're All But Done
« Reply #1590 on: January 15, 2013, 07:21:23 PM »

When "cost of living" omits food and fuel, something is definitely off the mark.

I'm embarassed, I did not know that!
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

sammy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1591 on: January 15, 2013, 07:26:39 PM »

I'm embarassed, I did not know that!
They don't make it easy for ya!

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #1592 on: January 15, 2013, 08:01:37 PM »

Now that I know that....what a bogus number to toss around with that major factor missing.

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

sammy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1593 on: January 15, 2013, 08:28:52 PM »

Now that I know that....what a bogus number to toss around with that major factor missing.
As one who is on Social Security,(retired, doncha know) that bogus number is probably more important to me than it is to you, but at some point, it will rear it's ugly head to you, as well.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #1594 on: January 15, 2013, 08:54:41 PM »

I totally understand.....was implying that it is a bogus number because it key parts of the equation are missing.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1595 on: January 16, 2013, 07:53:21 AM »

As one who is on Social Security,(retired, doncha know) that bogus number is probably more important to me than it is to you, but at some point, it will rear it's ugly head to you, as well.

Sammy,

Sorry if you think those of us that work aren't affected by the bogus number.  We are FAR more affected then you are by the collapse of the system.

I think Social Security got a 1.7% increase this year - of course far less then the true number.  On the other hand the maximum Social Security wage that they withhold to went up 3.3%.  I unfortunately didn't get a raise as big as either of those numbers - despite good performance reviews.  The company says times are tough - we are just lucky to be working for such a great employer don't you know. 

My savings aren't growing at a rate fast enough to keep up with inflation and increase the true principal in accordance with the historic returns that you probably enjoyed during your career.

The Politicians are destined at some point before I retire to means test Social Security - and those of us that saved for our retirements will be punished with reduced SS Benefits because we don't "need" it as much, despite paying in more and being responsible.  Are you facing that?  Are you facing a higher mandatory retirement age before you can draw anything out?

My Pension Plan was frozen at the end of last year - and the company is going to put a fraction of what they used to fund the pension into my 401K plan and into the lottery - I mean stock market to replace it.

Would you care to change places with those of us still working?

Oh - that is right, I'm not affected.  I can just keep working until I am 72 instead of retiring at the age you got to.

If you don't think we are affected by all the BS that is going on you are dead wrong.  We are MORE affected.

The sad thing is our generation did less to bring on this bomb then yours.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1596 on: January 16, 2013, 07:59:53 AM »

Bulls**t!  Assuming we are in the same generation (I'm 44), we have enjoyed low cost student loans, low rate of income tax, child tax credits, earned income tax credits along with a ton of other "gimmes" from Uncle Sugar.  All of us, as American's, have a stake in what is / has caused the decline of our economic future.  I don't think it is fair to place a greater level of "blame" on one generation to the next. 
"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1597 on: January 16, 2013, 09:29:17 AM »

Bulls**t!  Assuming we are in the same generation (I'm 44), we have enjoyed low cost student loans, low rate of income tax, child tax credits, earned income tax credits along with a ton of other "gimmes" from Uncle Sugar.  All of us, as American's, have a stake in what is / has caused the decline of our economic future.  I don't think it is fair to place a greater level of "blame" on one generation to the next.

Will,

What generation passed the laws that you took advantage of?

I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1598 on: January 16, 2013, 09:48:34 AM »

I get your point but we will see it different. My generation has been voting for 26 years now and sadly many in my generation have elected those folks. 
"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1599 on: January 16, 2013, 10:11:23 AM »

I get your point but we will see it different. My generation has been voting for 26 years now and sadly many in my generation have elected those folks.

You are thinking of the electorate.

I am thinking of the people who are elected and making the laws.

Most of the people in the legislator that are around my age that I can think of are the ones beating the reduce spending drums.  I think that is why states are ahead of the curve - probably a younger group of legislators around our age.  Randy is 53.  I think Bill Lavoy is closer to our age group.  Washington is a little older group.  Dingell would never vote to stop the spending.  Dingell is 86 years old.  Walberg is 61.  Average age of Congress looks to be 50-54 range.  Average age of the Senate is 57-58.

The "greatest" generation and the boomers passed the entitlements and set us down the path we are on.  Our generation is standing on the train, perhaps trying to stop it, but failing.

Like Romney said - 47% are now in their pocket, and once people start voting to keep the gravy flowing it is hard to stop the gravy.

So my point in our generation hasn't really had a big effect in the halls on Congress yet.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1600 on: January 16, 2013, 10:30:17 AM »

I do blame the electorate just as much as those we elected.  We are a community that, IMO, has little knowledge of civics and even less of an understanding on the long term impact of legislation.  I think we are lulled into a near sleep with what is happening.  Elections have become about what is in it for "me" instead of following the advice of JFK; "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country". 

sammy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1601 on: January 16, 2013, 10:37:14 AM »

Sammy,

Sorry if you think those of us that work aren't affected by the bogus number.  We are FAR more affected then you are by the collapse of the system.

I think Social Security got a 1.7% increase this year - of course far less then the true number.  On the other hand the maximum Social Security wage that they withhold to went up 3.3%.  I unfortunately didn't get a raise as big as either of those numbers - despite good performance reviews.  The company says times are tough - we are just lucky to be working for such a great employer don't you know. 

My savings aren't growing at a rate fast enough to keep up with inflation and increase the true principal in accordance with the historic returns that you probably enjoyed during your career.

The Politicians are destined at some point before I retire to means test Social Security - and those of us that saved for our retirements will be punished with reduced SS Benefits because we don't "need" it as much, despite paying in more and being responsible.  Are you facing that?  Are you facing a higher mandatory retirement age before you can draw anything out?

My Pension Plan was frozen at the end of last year - and the company is going to put a fraction of what they used to fund the pension into my 401K plan and into the lottery - I mean stock market to replace it.

Would you care to change places with those of us still working?

Oh - that is right, I'm not affected.  I can just keep working until I am 72 instead of retiring at the age you got to.

If you don't think we are affected by all the BS that is going on you are dead wrong.  We are MORE affected.

I'm glad you think my generation is on easy street. I had no retirement plan at all until just a few years before I retired. Then I lost half my 401k twice before I retired. Yes, we got a raise in Social S ecurity this year. Let me see; the raise was in the 20 dollar range. Then, more quietly than the raise, they raised my Medicare premium by 5 dollars. So, with my new-found wealth, I think I'll go out and buy me one of those new Corvettes everyone is raving about.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1602 on: January 16, 2013, 10:38:54 AM »

I do blame the electorate just as much as those we elected.  We are a community that, IMO, has little knowledge of civics and even less of an understanding on the long term impact of legislation.  I think we are lulled into a near sleep with what is happening.  Elections have become about what is in it for "me" instead of following the advice of JFK; "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country".

I totally agree with you.

However - when Romney pointed out that 47% of the electorate was going to vote for whoever would give them the most what happened?

The percentage may have been wrong and could be debated - but certainly a part of the electorate votes for their own personal short term interest.

What do they care if the system comes down?  The never bothered vesting themselves in it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1603 on: January 16, 2013, 10:40:06 AM »

I'm glad you think my generation is on easy street. I had no retirement plan at all until just a few years before I retired. Then I lost half my 401k twice before I retired. Yes, we got a raise in Social S ecurity this year. Let me see; the raise was in the 20 dollar range. Then, more quietly than the raise, they raised my Medicare premium by 5 dollars. So, with my new-found wealth, I think I'll go out and buy me one of those new Corvettes everyone is raving about.

I never said you were on easy street.

I am just saying that your situation will be better then the one I face.

That seems to be a fact.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1604 on: January 16, 2013, 10:45:08 AM »

However - when Romney pointed out that 47% of the electorate was going to vote for whoever would give them the most what happened?

Gov. Romney's assessment, IMO, was wrong.  I say that because it implies that people are not able to be educated. 

If Gov. Romney felt this way and apparently he did, he should have communicated the reasons why such governmental spending was not only wrong but could cause increased economical pressure on the US (downgrades and such). 
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 419   Go Up