MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > We're All But Done

Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 409   Go Down

Author Topic: We're All But Done  (Read 284606 times)

blue2

• Hero Talker
Re: We're All But Done
« Reply #6060 on: July 09, 2018, 08:58:08 AM »

Well John, when the United States has been taken as suckers for the last 50 years its going to take some time to even things out.  It may even hurt some people for a while.  But in the long run it will right things again.  Russia cannot feed the world.  Maybe temporarily but the rest of the world needs the U.S. and Canada.

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6061 on: July 10, 2018, 08:43:27 PM »

Well John, when the United States has been taken as suckers for the last 50 years its going to take some time to even things out.  It may even hurt some people for a while.  But in the long run it will right things again.  Russia cannot feed the world.  Maybe temporarily but the rest of the world needs the U.S. and Canada.

Right on. No pain no gain. But the thing to remember is we are the ones with the huge trade deficit, not them. If we're exporting a country $ 100 a year and they're exporting to us $ 300 a year, and trade is cut off, our economy would lose $ 100 in exports and their economy would lose $ 300. Who loses more in this exchange. Easy math right?

Well there is something else to consider. If a country's GDP is less than a 10th the size of ours the ratio of harm to each countries economy also has to be factored in, in a trade war. Why, because while we are both suffering losses, their losses have a 10 times greater negative impact on their much smaller economy than it does ours. In others words, if we have a little patience, they'll be calling us to see how to fix things between us, and we'll "tell" them how. Now, we don't have to grind them into the dust, but the days where we're getting hosed are over.

This is how it's done when your looking out for your folks.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 10:04:30 PM by John Kopke »
John Kopke

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6062 on: July 12, 2018, 06:19:03 PM »

You need to read the following column by Victor Davis Hanson. Nobody cuts to the chase better than Victor. I expect to create a number of posts working off this column, as I expect others that read it will. 
--------------
Trump approaches NAFTA in the same reductionist way. The 24-year-old treaty was supposed to stabilize, if not equalize, all trade, immigration and commerce between the three supposed North American allies.

It never quite happened that way. Unequal tariffs remained. Both Canada and Mexico have substantial trade surpluses with the U.S. In Mexico's case, it enjoys a $71 billion surplus, the largest of U.S. trading partners with the exception of China.

Canada never honored its NATO security commitment. It spends only 1 percent of its GDP on defense, rightly assuming that the U.S. will continue to underwrite its security.

During the lifetime of NAFTA, Mexico has encouraged millions of its citizens to enter the U.S. illegally. Mexico's selfish immigration policy is designed to avoid internal reform, to earn some $30 billion in annual expatriate remittances, and to influence U.S. politics.

Yet after more than two decades of NAFTA, Mexico is more unstable than ever. Cartels run entire states. Murders are at a record high. Entire towns in southern Mexico have been denuded of their young males, who crossed the U.S. border illegally.

The U.S. runs a huge trade deficit with China. The red ink is predicated on Chinese dumping, patent and copyright infringement, and outright cheating. Beijing illegally occupies neutral islands in the South China Sea, militarizes them and bullies it neighbors.
All of the above has become the "normal" globalized world.

But in 2016, red-state America rebelled at the asymmetry. The other half of the country demonized the red-staters as protectionists, nativists, isolationists, populists and nationalists.

However, if China, Europe and other U.S. trading partners had simply followed global trading rules, there would have been no Trump pushback -- and probably no Trump presidency at all.

Had NATO members and NAFTA partners just kept their commitments, and had Mexico not encouraged millions of its citizens to crash the U.S. border, there would now be little tension between allies.
Instead, what had become abnormal was branded the new normal of the postwar world.

Again, a rich and powerful U.S. was supposed to subsidize world trade, take in more immigrants than all the nations of the world combined, protect the West, and ensure safe global communications, travel and commerce.
After 70 years, the effort had hollowed out the interior of America, creating two separate nations of coastal winners and heartland losers.
Trump's entire foreign policy can be summed up as a demand for symmetry from all partners and allies, and tit-for-tat replies to would-be enemies.

Did Trump have to be so loud and often crude in his effort to bully America back to reciprocity?

Who knows?

But it seems impossible to imagine that globalist John McCain, internationalist Barack Obama or gentlemanly Mitt Romney would ever have called Europe, NATO, Mexico, and Canada to account, or warned Iran or North Korea that tit would be met by tat.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 06:20:55 PM by John Kopke »
John Kopke

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6063 on: July 12, 2018, 07:03:26 PM »

Working off the part about Mexico in the Victor Davis Hanson article.

Mexico has a $ 71 billion trade surplus with us, and the millions of their citizens whom mostly have entered the U.S. illegally send home another $ 30 billion. That equates to an outflow from us to them of $ 101 billion. Now I realize, to be fair, I have to subtract the money illegal American immigrants in Mexico send home to the U.S. from that figure. After making the calculation the amount I end up with is a $ 101 billion outflow from us to them. Understand?

80% of illegal narcotics in this country come from Mexico. They may not produce it all, but it transits into this country via Mexico. Oh, and 90% of the heroin being sold in this country comes via Mexico.

Then there is growing evidence that Mexico is becoming a failed state. The Drug cartels may not completely run the country, but the government dares not take them head on. First, the cartels bring multi billions of dollars of cash into the country, 2nd they use big money to corrupt government officials, and 3rd, if government folks push back too hard they're dead.

To me that's a failed state. So I ask, why in the world wouldn't we want to completely shut down the border with this country? If we did, Mexico couldn't dump their poor on us to their own benefit, further the cartels would see a dramatic reduction in profits, which would significantly reduce their power, and give Mexico a fighting chance against them. Further, we could offer them our assistance in putting the hammer down on the cartels.

If these actions were successful, we would have a much less toxic Mexico able to focus on improving the lives of their people. For us, all's to the good. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 07:24:04 PM by John Kopke »
John Kopke

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6064 on: July 12, 2018, 07:15:24 PM »

John, but but but

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6065 on: July 12, 2018, 09:41:35 PM »

John, but but but

Yeah, ain't that the truth. The refined diplomats of the past told us about how they had fruitful talks. I guess that's good. What happened after the "fruitful talks"? Nothing. Is that good? Does it change anything? If not, what's the point? 
John Kopke

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6066 on: July 12, 2018, 10:37:30 PM »

The one story I keep hearing is the poppy farmers need the money.  What a joke. Spray the fields with agent orange and give the farmers all the money we use to fight drug abuse

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6067 on: July 14, 2018, 07:37:01 PM »

Little snippet from a Breibart article about neighbors protesting at Jared and Ivanka's house:

Ivanka Trump was not at home, but her husband Jared Kushner was allegedly at the couple’s Washington, DC, residence on Wednesday night when a couple dozen of their neighbors in the wealthy Kalorama neighborhood lit candles and held signs to protest President Donald Trump’s “Zero Tolerance” policy at the U.S.-Mexico border.

Sounds rather rude wouldn't you say. I expect Ivanka's young kids would have enjoyed the experience if they were home.

What gives these people the right to harass someone at their home, or when they're out to dinner? We disagree on an issue, and because it isn't going their way, they feel they have the right to join a mob and shout outside someone's home? To what end? Do they believe that if they're intimidating enough their opponents will reverse course and agree with them? Is that the way we want to roll in this country. And these same folks call ME a Nazi.

As an aside, the left calling conservatives Nazi is old news. Back in the 1944
campaign Roosevelt said something like why should we fight a war to defeat the Nazi's in Europe, only to elect them here?

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 07:59:33 PM by John Kopke »
John Kopke

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6068 on: July 15, 2018, 06:45:51 AM »

I'm afraid if the radicals keep it up something really bad is going to happen. They are almost out of control now.  They are harassing more people that work at Fox. Tyrus says they haven't bothered him yet..

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6069 on: July 15, 2018, 08:39:44 PM »

Russia hacked the DNC computers and then exposed all the information damaging to the Clinton campaign. The proof? The DNC hired a company named Crowdstrike which found the evidence. The FBI asked for access to the server, but the Dems told them they had it covered. The FBI said, ok if you've got it covered. This calls for a big "are you freaking kidding me" response!

Yet one time Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort has the law breaking down his door with guns draw in a pre-dawn raid to get his records. He and his wife were asleep in bed! "Are you freaking kidding me."

What's the deal? If you're a Republican the Feds come down on you like a ton of bricks, and if you're a Dem the Feds ask you nicely if you'd like to cooperate, and if you say no, they say, OK!
John Kopke

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6070 on: July 16, 2018, 08:16:35 AM »

Little snippet from a Breibart article about neighbors protesting at Jared and Ivanka's house:

Ivanka Trump was not at home, but her husband Jared Kushner was allegedly at the couple’s Washington, DC, residence on Wednesday night when a couple dozen of their neighbors in the wealthy Kalorama neighborhood lit candles and held signs to protest President Donald Trump’s “Zero Tolerance” policy at the U.S.-Mexico border.

Sounds rather rude wouldn't you say. I expect Ivanka's young kids would have enjoyed the experience if they were home.

What gives these people the right to harass someone at their home, or when they're out to dinner? We disagree on an issue, and because it isn't going their way, they feel they have the right to join a mob and shout outside someone's home? To what end? Do they believe that if they're intimidating enough their opponents will reverse course and agree with them? Is that the way we want to roll in this country. And these same folks call ME a Nazi.

As an aside, the left calling conservatives Nazi is old news. Back in the 1944
campaign Roosevelt said something like why should we fight a war to defeat the Nazi's in Europe, only to elect them here?

Don't harass me, I might shoot ya. ;D
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6071 on: July 17, 2018, 07:49:46 PM »

Don't harass me, I might shoot ya. ;D

D:

Are you talking to me? Are you talking to me! If so you might see me showing up at you place with my 22 loaded for bear. Watch out!
John Kopke

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6072 on: July 19, 2018, 08:17:24 PM »

Every year the SS "Trusties" tell us SS is going to go broke. I say Duh. Hell, SS is already broke. Now that we're taking in less than we pay out we have to hit the so called trust fund to make up the difference. But there is no trust fund. Over the years the past surplus of payments wasn't put into a bank account earning interest. The government reached in, took the money and spent it. They left behind "special" bonds paying interest. But the money they, on paper, paid in interest was borrowed money, forget about paying down the principle. I mean really, how can you pay down a loan principle with borrowed money? 

This is big! If nothing is done, until ultimately the Shiite hits the fan the national debt will be exploding exponentially and the government will crash the dollar. This will be a huge hit for working folks. As for seniors, the government will give them a 3% cost of living increase when inflation is running at 9%.

So what are our leaders in Washington doing? Literally nothing. Why is this?
Well, over the years, the pukes made some moves to do something, nothing really major, but something, and the Dems absolutely buried them. "The pukes are going to "take away" your SS. You'll starve to death!!!!

With Dems poised to carve them up, the pukes realized that even bringing up the problem with SS, much less offering fixes, was a political loser. The
Dems won. Trump took SS reform off the table in his campaign.

Today we're told SS will go broke in 2034. In 2005 they told us SS would go broke in 2054. My guess would be around 2026.

John Kopke

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6073 on: July 21, 2018, 03:26:18 PM »

I won't be here to worry about it most likely.  I figure by 2026, the country will be insolvent anyway.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6074 on: July 21, 2018, 03:28:58 PM »

D:

Are you talking to me? Are you talking to me! If so you might see me showing up at you place with my 22 loaded for bear. Watch out!

Not you, I refer to the Maxine Waters crowd.  What a turd.
Pages: 1 ... 403 404 [405] 406 407 ... 409   Go Up