MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > We're All But Done

Pages: 1 ... 421 422 [423] 424 425 ... 454   Go Down

Author Topic: We're All But Done  (Read 357767 times)

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
Re: We're All But Done
« Reply #6330 on: January 18, 2019, 02:53:31 PM »

Sure it does.

OC earlier in the week said that we weren't going to be Argentina.

You say we are.

I can only assume that she is smarter than you - she did manage to get elected to Congress after all.

OK, I'll now admit it did have something to do with what I was talking about, but the part about OC being smarter then me was cold. After all, do you think someone from this district could get elected to Congress spouting the stuff she does? Folks here aren't loony. Thank God.   
John Kopke

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6331 on: January 18, 2019, 03:23:08 PM »

Catch this headline. *Feminists reject pu**y hats as offensive to women with penises." Sounds like the politically correct have discovered they were being politically incorrect and are berating themselves for it.

All this politically correct stuff makes your head spin. Say the wrong thing. and if it gets public, your life and career can be ruined. How long will it be before neighbors, or even your children, start reporting you to the state for something you said? And what happens to you if you hear something and don't report it? Scary stuff isn't it. Well in my opinion, if this insane PC stuff doesn't get rained in at some point we could be there in 10 years.     
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 04:12:09 PM by John Kopke »
John Kopke

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6332 on: January 18, 2019, 03:58:40 PM »

Sending my sister in Ft. Worth, TX an email and here is my opening paragraph. Hope you can relate, but also find a little amusement in a
gallows humor kind of way.

Sue,

Well moving into the teeth of the winter. 1" snow today and 3-5" Saturday. I have a routine this time of year. I get up, make my bed, and start the coffee. Then I go into the room with the picture window in it, where I press up against the window spreading my arms like Jesus on the cross. I then mouth the words "help me" to any passing cars for 5 minutes. Then I get a cup of coffee. Can you imagine how bummed I'll be by the middle of February? I told my shrink it may get so bad I'll be suicidal. He told me he wanted me to start paying in advance.

John Kopke

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6333 on: January 18, 2019, 04:35:06 PM »

OK, I'll now admit it did have something to do with what I was talking about, but the part about OC being smarter then me was cold. After all, do you think someone from this district could get elected to Congress spouting the stuff she does? Folks here aren't loony. Thank God.   

Sarcasm John.

With that said it is a fact that she found a way to become one of the most powerful people in this country.

There has to be some degree of intelligence to pull that off.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6334 on: January 22, 2019, 03:35:09 PM »

Sarcasm John.

With that said it is a fact that she found a way to become one of the most powerful people in this country.

There has to be some degree of intelligence to pull that off.

MN:

I know you were being sarcastic I just feigned that you caused me an indignity calling her smarter.

Some degree of intelligence you say. Well what she has is she's brave enough to step forward and speak publicly about her ideas, such as they are. Now regular folks give people who speak in public credit for intelligence they don't necessarily have, which would be the case with her. Further, in her district whoever wins the Dem primary wins the general election. Her opponent was a long time, big shot congressman who didn't think it was necessary campaign much. She knocked on the doors. He thought she was a joke. He was wrong.

The turn out was really light. Nobody went to the polls because big shot was
going to win like always. Lastly the folks in this district don't know much about economics and government policy, they're Dems. So when Cortez knocked on their door she didn't need to be Einstein to impress them. Further, you add her friendly smile and the fact she showed up and we've got a winner.

Now that's she on the big stage spewing this stuff what she's saying has to make sense. It doesn't.
John Kopke

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6335 on: January 22, 2019, 04:34:19 PM »

Was listening to Rush. Here is my take on what he was saying about the shutdown.

Vast majority of laid off federal government employees are Dems. They’re part of the Dem base, if you will. So think about this. Whether, Trump caves, and they go back to work, or if Trump holds firm and their circumstances get gradually worse, they aren’t going to vote for him. Oh there may be some Republicans having to wait a little while for some government services, but they’ll be able to buy groceries and pay the rent, like always.

Trump is willing to give Nancy some of the things she’s wants in return for some things he wants. She says I offer nothing. These is no middle ground.
Meanwhile the employees aren't getting a check. You might say nobody is getting anything they want.

Nancy's solution is Trump caves and employees get back pay and start getting their checks. Trump get's nothing.

Trump offers more money for non-barrier border security enhancements and relief for DACA kids, in return for money to build his barriers. Nancy gets
non-barrier security enhancements which she (choke) says she wants, and
help for DACA kids. Lastly the checks start flowing to government employees. Everybody wins.

Bottom line is Trump and Nancy have to come to a solution, or these folks don't get paid. I think this works in Trumps favor. At some point it will boil over and the laid off are going to say solve this NOW. Trump says I'm willing to sit down and hammer out a solution. Nancy refuses to negotiate saying there is nothing to talk about. The wall is immoral and racist, period. Who do you think the laid off people are going to pressure. The one willing to negotiate, or the one unwilling to negotiate?

John Kopke

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6336 on: January 22, 2019, 04:54:40 PM »

I like Rush.

I think 2112 was their best album - but then many of the live albums are just awesome.

I listen to Rush alot too.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6337 on: January 22, 2019, 08:47:06 PM »

Pee-Lousy isn't playing with a full deck.  In fact, her card box is empty.  I really want to see DJT smoke her sorry arse.

Pee-Lousy is the prime example of what is wrong with Washington politics today.

...and we all thought that the Lansing cabal was dysfunctional.  Pennsylvania Avenue has Lansing beat by a mile.

What a mess.  I don't believe that Trump will back down, it's not his style at all.

Fine with me actually and appears to be fine with a lot of America as evidenced by the stock market and the general economy.

I think most people view government employees as expendable and in fact, many are.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6338 on: January 22, 2019, 09:54:52 PM »

Pee-Lousy isn't playing with a full deck.  In fact, her card box is empty.  I really want to see DJT smoke her sorry arse.

...and we all thought that the Lansing cabal was dysfunctional.  Pennsylvania Avenue has Lansing beat by a mile.

What a mess.  I don't believe that Trump will back down, it's not his style at all.

Fine with me actually and appears to be fine with a lot of America as evidenced by the stock market and the general economy.

I think most people view government employees as expendable and in fact, many are.

D:

Spot on. I'm not saying these government employees are doing nothing. I just want to make sure that those that are doing nothing get shown the door.
John Kopke

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6339 on: January 23, 2019, 10:26:40 AM »

For me Government Employees are defined by how difficult it is for me to actually do business with the Government when I need to do so.

City of Monroe Hours - 8 AM - 4:30 PM.
Monroe Township - 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM.
Monroe Social Security Office - 9-4 - except Weds which is 9-12.
County of Monroe - Varies by Department - some open at 8:30 until 5, others 9-12 and 1-5.
State of Michigan - 9-5 or 11-7.

My point is - I don't see a 9 hour window anywhere in there - or at least an 8.5 hour window.  Apparently Government employees either get paid lunches and breaks - or they don't get breaks - which I don't believe.

When I do go into the office - I don't see anyone hustling to move the line.  They just kind of plod along at a leisurely pace, and if you act like you are in a hurry - like you are trying to get something done on YOUR lunch - they just move slower.

Frankly - besides the stuff that Government mandates that I have to do for them - what do I need them for?

They sure as heck didn't put down salt on the roads last night so I could go to work today.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6340 on: January 23, 2019, 12:19:46 PM »

Here we go again....

Aryanna Hering didn’t have pay stubs or tax forms to document her income when she shopped around for a mortgage last year—a problem that made it tough for her to get a loan.

But the nursing student who works part time providing home care for children and the elderly eventually hit pay dirt: For a roughly $610,000 home loan, a mortgage company let her verify her earnings with 12 months of bank statements and letters from clients.

Ms. Hering’s case highlights how a flavor of mortgage once panned for its role in the housing meltdown a decade ago is making a comeback. These loans, aimed at buyers with unusual circumstances such as those who can’t provide the standard proofs of income, are growing rapidly even as rising interest rates and higher home prices crimp demand for mortgages.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/no-pay-stub-no-problem-unconventional-mortgages-make-a-comeback-11548239400
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6341 on: January 23, 2019, 03:37:24 PM »

For me Government Employees are defined by how difficult it is for me to actually do business with the Government when I need to do so.

City of Monroe Hours - 8 AM - 4:30 PM.
Monroe Township - 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM.
Monroe Social Security Office - 9-4 - except Weds which is 9-12.
County of Monroe - Varies by Department - some open at 8:30 until 5, others 9-12 and 1-5.
State of Michigan - 9-5 or 11-7.

My point is - I don't see a 9 hour window anywhere in there - or at least an 8.5 hour window.  Apparently Government employees either get paid lunches and breaks - or they don't get breaks - which I don't believe.

When I do go into the office - I don't see anyone hustling to move the line.  They just kind of plod along at a leisurely pace, and if you act like you are in a hurry - like you are trying to get something done on YOUR lunch - they just move slower.

Frankly - besides the stuff that Government mandates that I have to do for them - what do I need them for?

They sure as heck didn't put down salt on the roads last night so I could go to work today.

if you come right down to the bare bones approach, none of the 'laid off workers' need to go back.  They are all part of the problem, not the solution.

The solution is fiscal and political responsibility to the citizens but that won't happen because crony politics won't let it happen.

Far as salt goes on the road, you might as well have urinated on it. ;D

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6343 on: January 23, 2019, 03:40:26 PM »

D:

Spot on. I'm not saying these government employees are doing nothing. I just want to make sure that those that are doing nothing get shown the door.

Won't happen.  The very unnecessary politicians won't let that happen.

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6344 on: January 23, 2019, 03:45:53 PM »

Here we go again....

https://www.wsj.com/articles/no-pay-stub-no-problem-unconventional-mortgages-make-a-comeback-11548239400

Yeah it's scary. There is also problems in the auto finance sector. Car Co.
were selling expensive vehicles offering really cheap financing. Even so they still needed to extend payments for up to 7 years so people could make the payments.

In my opinion, anyone that needs 7 years to pay for a new vehicle shouldn't be buying a new vehicle. Further financial institutions would be wise not to extend credit to these folks. They're a roll of the dice. We hit a good recession and these folks will start defaulting. The people ruin their credit further, and the institution takes a loss. 

My advice to these people is don't do that.

Here is a way for people with let's say a marginal credit score. You should think about buying a vehicle that's a little older, with reasonable miles,   running good and in the $ 6000 range. You can get years out of it with some repairs, much, much lower insurance cost, and pay the darn thing off in 2 years. In two years you have a vehicle, no payment and a vehicle worth say $ 4,500. Sure beats being a mule that's been hauling a financial load for two years and still has 5 more years to go.

They should have a class in school called Practical Economics so kids getting out of school have a clue about things like buying a car, real estate, interest rates and on and on.   
John Kopke
Pages: 1 ... 421 422 [423] 424 425 ... 454   Go Up