MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > We're All But Done

Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 414   Go Down

Author Topic: We're All But Done  (Read 300035 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: We're All But Done
« Reply #6105 on: August 03, 2018, 01:39:11 PM »

I guess there really are people that hate the United States and want everyone in poverty.  Doesn't seem possible.

Been that way for a long time.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6106 on: August 03, 2018, 02:44:48 PM »

I can only guess the dictator thinks if he keeps his people in poverty he will remain in power.    There aren't many other reasons not to use the country's resources.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6107 on: August 03, 2018, 03:57:05 PM »

The problem with free stuff with other peoples money is at some point you run out of other peoples money.

This is the lesson of Argentina.

The Progressive Democrats - or Republicans for that matter - aren't very good at learning lessons.  They want to try on their own to see if the same thing happens.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6108 on: August 08, 2018, 06:34:46 PM »

Marie Nunn submitted a rather convoluted letter to the editor August 6th entitled "This Election Year is vital for Medicaid and Medicare." She also discusses SS in her letter, but that was left out of the title.

She starts out by saying "it is not about the Democrat or Republican party"
it's about the country. Then she goes on to trash the Republican party.

She says that speaker Paul Ryan says we have to do something about entitlements. She then says Paul's talking about SS and Medicare. Any discussion of Medicaid is left in the dust as she goes on.

Then she says that SS does not cost the U.S Treasury anything because SS has it's own fund. Then she acknowledges the SS trust fund has no money, but would have billions in the fund (more like $ 2.5 trillion) if the United States had paid back the money it borrowed. True, but how can it not cost the treasury anything if the Trust Fund has no money? Whining about how the government should have paid the money back doesn't fix anything, and it doesn't mean that SS does not cost the U.S. Treasury anything. Of course it will. Who else is going to redeem $ 2.5 trillion in SS bonds, not me!

Oh, I got carried away. I forgot the U.S. Treasury doesn't have any money,
that's on me, and you.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 07:25:41 PM by John Kopke »
John Kopke

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6109 on: August 08, 2018, 07:24:21 PM »

Something I didn't hit. She used Speaker Paul Ryan statement that we need to reform entitlements as proof Paul and the Pukes are going to cut SS and Medicare. Excuse me, I just wet myself. Paul Ryan has been all hat and no cattle ever since he entered congress. Problem is the folks Marie got through to don't know what all hat and no cattle means. 
John Kopke

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6110 on: August 10, 2018, 12:29:10 PM »

It's all about free this and free that.  problem is, nothing is free.

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6111 on: August 10, 2018, 08:03:18 PM »

It's all about free this and free that.  problem is, nothing is free.

I know that, and you know that. And you know why? Because you and I are the folks paying for the free stuff. As for the folks who aren't paying for free stuff, why not have more free stuff? Problem is, as time goes by, there are a growing number who don't have to pay. They'll vote to have those that do pay, pay more, and more. 
John Kopke

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6112 on: August 10, 2018, 08:08:39 PM »

Most of the people getting the free stuff aren't smart enough to understand where it cones from and whose paying.  And they don't care.

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6113 on: August 10, 2018, 08:10:30 PM »

Most of the people getting the free stuff aren't smart enough to understand where it cones from and whose paying.  And they don't care.

And that's the way Dems want it.
John Kopke

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6114 on: August 10, 2018, 08:29:52 PM »

Not going to look it up to be precise, but recently a leftist, liberal elite type east coast reporter went to a Trump rally. He came away to report the folks in the audience were essentially toothless garbage. Response from MSM, no big deal. Of course not, they agree. If someone on the right side of things had said something similar of the left, the leftist press would have absolutely destroyed them. Political correctness is only enforced against the right. Those on the left get a pass. Now that my friends is real Fascism.   

John Kopke

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6115 on: August 10, 2018, 09:10:15 PM »

Here is an article about Crazy Joe Clark. A principle that brought order to an inner city school back in the 1980s. See if you agree with me that we need more Principles like Crazy Joe. Most especially in our awful big city schools.

Tough Principle Tames Rough Jersey School

last year, he found that much of what had been said and written about the school was true.

''It was a blackboard jungle,'' he recalled today, using the term a special New Jersey state prosecutor had applied in a report three years ago.

''There were fights and stabbings. Students carrying guns inside the school. Students were having sex in the corridors and bathrooms. Drugs were being bought and sold and used openly inside and outside the classrooms. Teachers were constantly threatened, and consequently many were unable to do their jobs.''

Now those days are gone, he said, and along with them many of the students who refused to abide by his rules.

In his first week as principal, 300 of the school's 3,000 students were expelled. Within weeks, word circulated throughout the school and the community that troublemakers would not be tolerated at Eastside and that anyone ''caught or suspected'' of causing trouble would have to answer to Joe Clark. 'Troublemakers Would Be Hurt'

"I let it be known that troublemakers would be hurt,'' Mr. Clark said with a devious smile, ''but I never explained what I meant by hurt.''

Under Mr. Clark's administration, automatic suspensions are handed out for drug possession, fighting, vandalism and assault or profanity against teachers. Lesser infractions, such as tardiness or disrupting classes, are punished by barring students from classes and assigning them to chores at the school. Offenders' names are announced each day over the school's public address system or at assemblies.

The 18-man security force that once patrolled the hallways of the schools has been reduced to four men stationed outside the school.

Students were asked - and more than 1,000 have agreed - to wear distinctive uniforms: blue slacks and white shirts for the boys, blue skirts and white blouses for the girls, and navy blue jackets with the Eastside logo for all of them. Teachers and administrators were ordered to be more visible and more accessible to students. Teachers were required to assign homework each school night. And a few teachers, whom Mr. Clark said ''did not belong at Eastside,'' were encouraged to leave. They did.

While Mr. Clark's disciplinary approach has earned him such nicknames as ''the drill sergeant'' and ''Crazy Joe'' among students, he has also won the respect and admiration of many, including President Reagan.

On Wednesday, Mr. Reagan telephoned Mr. Clark to commend him on a job well done and to urge him to keep up the ''good work.'' The President made the call after watching a segment on Eastside High School that was broadcast on the CBS Evening News Tuesday night.

When Governor Kean visited Eastside last February, he called it a ''model school.'' And Dr. Frank Napier Jr., the superintendent of schools in Paterson, has had nothing but praise for Mr. Clark and has been quick to defend him against some people who view his disciplinary tactics as extreme.

''He may be unorthodox in his approach, but it's hard to argue with success,'' said Dr. Napier, who said he was close to closing the school until Mr. Clark agreed to leave Paterson's Public School 6, where he was principal, and take over at Eastside. ''People have told me that the only way to solve the problems at Eastside was by throwing money at it. But Joe Clark has come in and got the job done without the addition of one new dollar.'' 'He Calls Us Into His Office'

Kevin Baker, an 18-year-old senior, attributed Mr. Clark's success to the respect the principal instills in his students. ''He knows most of the students by name,'' Mr. Baker said. ''If any of us has a problem, he calls us into his office. I don't think I ever was invited into the principal's office to talk prior to Mr. Clark.''

James Stewart, a 16-year-old senior who said he used to walk the halls of Eastside in fear, observed: ''Eastside was sick and slowly dying and Mr. Clark was the doctor that had the right medicine to cure it.''

Others have suggested that one has to look no further than the bullhorn Mr. Clark carries as he roams the hallways of the school during intervals between classes, barking out orders to students and teachers alike, to find why things are different at Eastside. 'Perplexed at the Violence'

To Mr. Clark, however, the explanation is quite simple.

''I'm perplexed at the violence that exists in our schools,'' said the 45-year-old Newark native. ''That it exists is a clear-cut example of managerial incompetence. A school is only as good as its administrators.''

''Students here and at other schools want to be disciplined and they want to learn,'' he continued. ''They just weren't given the chance. Everybody had given up on them.''

With the discipline problems alleviated, Mr. Clark said he is concentrating on improving academic performance.

Reading and math scores at the school, which has a student enrollment that is two-thirds black and one-third Hispanic, improved last year, with 56.6 percent of the school's ninth- grade students passing a basic English skills test, compared with 39.6 percent the previous year, and 82 percent passing math, compared with 55 percent the previous year.

Nearly 44 percent of the class of 83's graduating seniors were accepted by colleges. Their names and the schools that accepted them are prominently displayed on a bulletin board.

And there is other proof that things have changed at Eastside.

''We've had three students come in today, asking if they could transfer to Eastside,'' Mr. Clark noted with pride. ''We've had them drop out of parochial school to come here. No one ever thought they'd see a day when kids wanted to come to Eastside, but it's here. There no magic or any genius behind what I'm doing. It just takes guts.''

That's right isn't it. It just takes guts.
John Kopke

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6116 on: August 10, 2018, 09:50:16 PM »

I was taken by this segment of the article.

''Students here and at other schools want to be disciplined and they want to learn,'' he continued. ''They just weren't given the chance. Everybody had given up on them.''

I'd say the big city Dems, that essentially run these schools, aren't interested in these kids. If they were how come they've allowed things to get worse and worse over the years? Why aren't they bringing in a Crazy Joe type principal in all these schools? Oh, they'll say doing something like that would be way too extreme, and I'd say to them, compared to what? Got a better idea? And if you do, when do you think it would be a good time to implement it? 
John Kopke

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6117 on: August 10, 2018, 11:49:19 PM »

Dems don't want to educate kids.  That worked destroy their programs and potentially lose voters.

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6118 on: August 12, 2018, 07:49:31 PM »

Thing is the Dems keep telling us how they care, and how the Pukes don't. Well how is it the Dems care for the poor more than the Pukes? They tell us they stand with the poor to protect their "safety net" welfare benefits from the heartless Pukes whom would gut these programs, or so they say, endlessly. It's worked since the days of FDR.

OK, that's how it is, and it remains so. The poor may stay poor, but they can be sure the Dems have their back.

What's sad is most of these folks don't know they could have a much better life, but they don't see it happening in the neighborhood, so they don't have anything to aspire to. The name of the their game revolves around making sure the government check keeps coming in and they can eat and have a crummy roof over their head. That's all they know. And they vote for the Dem pol that ensures it continues uninterrupted. And it does continue uninterrupted. Congrats Dems. 

« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 08:16:23 PM by John Kopke »
John Kopke

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6119 on: August 12, 2018, 09:28:13 PM »

Education isn't a D or R issue at all.  What has happened to the education system in this country, the fault lies squarely on the shoulders of the complacent public that allowed bastions of higher education to be taken over bleeding heart liberals that instill their values in kids instead of teaching them what they need to succeed in life.  ....and only the public can right that ship, not the R party or the D party.  It's not a political issue at all, well maybe a little, but the real blame lies with the public in general.
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 414   Go Up