MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Gasoline Prices

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gasoline Prices  (Read 36499 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Gasoline Prices
« Reply #615 on: March 10, 2016, 10:06:12 AM »

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you BRD.  You can buy alcohol free gasoline at a marina or airport and at some filling stations (Britton Grocerette) comes to mind.

Corn alcohol is metered in at the rack, not in the production process.  It's not ethanol until it's in the transport vehicle, much like anti-gelling additives are metered in at the rack for diesel fuel.

There is a website where you can look for dtations that dispence straight (no alcohol added motor fuel), think it's pure gas.com or something like that.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #616 on: March 10, 2016, 07:15:33 PM »

FYI everyone....  The website that lists stations selling 0E gasoline is www.pure-gas.org  There are a couple stations close by btw.

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #617 on: March 23, 2016, 05:05:09 AM »

Here's a pretty goodread on the current state of the Ethanol industry

"Compounding the industry’s woes was the government’s decision to phase out credits, starting this year, for so-called flex-fuel vehicles, which run on 85 percent ethanol. Most conventional engines use 10 percent, and there’s no agreement on whether that level should be increased. The American Petroleum Institute, which represents major oil refiners, wants to end the mandates, while ethanol producers seek additional government help to revive growth."

"Ethanol producers expanded from 81 plants and 3.9 billion gallons of annual capacity in 2005 to 214 distilleries today that can produce 15.7 billion gallons, industry data show. When the government cut its minimum-use mandate to 14.5 billion gallons a year from 15 billion, that left 1.2 billion gallons of surplus capacity."

Ethanol Bust Adds to U.S. Fuel Glut and Losses Across Corn Belt

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-22/ethanol-bust-adds-to-u-s-fuel-glut-and-losses-across-corn-belt?cmpid=google&google_editors_picks=true
I'm a sheepdog. I may not agree with you but I will not tolerate sheeple.

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #618 on: March 24, 2016, 08:33:09 AM »

This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #619 on: March 24, 2016, 08:53:34 AM »

Here's a pretty goodread on the current state of the Ethanol industry

"Compounding the industry’s woes was the government’s decision to phase out credits, starting this year, for so-called flex-fuel vehicles, which run on 85 percent ethanol. Most conventional engines use 10 percent, and there’s no agreement on whether that level should be increased. The American Petroleum Institute, which represents major oil refiners, wants to end the mandates, while ethanol producers seek additional government help to revive growth."

"Ethanol producers expanded from 81 plants and 3.9 billion gallons of annual capacity in 2005 to 214 distilleries today that can produce 15.7 billion gallons, industry data show. When the government cut its minimum-use mandate to 14.5 billion gallons a year from 15 billion, that left 1.2 billion gallons of surplus capacity."

Ethanol Bust Adds to U.S. Fuel Glut and Losses Across Corn Belt

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-22/ethanol-bust-adds-to-u-s-fuel-glut-and-losses-across-corn-belt?cmpid=google&google_editors_picks=true

According to Biomass Magazine (which is the industry publication that tracks not only ethanol production but all biomass fuel production), there is a ongoing trend to convert e-plants from corn alcohol to corn produced chemicals such as acetone.  Same mechanics involved.  Alcohol from native grasses is also becoming an option.

Processed wood pellet fuel is a big business now, with plants in Canada and the southeast (in close proximity) to sea ports producing industrial grade pellets and exporting them to the EU by the boatload.  GB is going mostly biomass for electrical generation now.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #620 on: June 11, 2017, 11:22:37 AM »

FYI everyone....  The website that lists stations selling 0E gasoline is www.pure-gas.org  There are a couple stations close by btw.

I found an app for my phone that sounds like it is from the same website.  Other than marinas the only 'local' station I'm finding is at the Gateway Express station at 2460 Navarre in Oregon (East Toledo to some). 

One of my old Cub Cadets has developed a nasty (scary if nothing else) tendency to backfire 'after' I shut it off.  I've set the idle down about as low as I can and I always let it set and idle for a bit before I turn the key off but sometimes it still wants to give a big bang.  The worst part is it happens several seconds after I shut it off.  I'm always careful not to get off and walk past the exhaust :o :o :o

I was reading on one of the forums that it probably has a carbon buildup and that the ethanol tends to make it worse...  so I'm going to get 5 or 10 gallons and see if that helps or not.  This winter I'll have to pull the engine and do some work on it anyway so I can check and see how much carbon is built up then.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #621 on: June 11, 2017, 11:27:35 AM »

LOL......that gave me a flash back to back in the day when just getting out of the car I'd get a good, loud backfire.  Used to scaretheshit out of me.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #622 on: June 11, 2017, 02:02:49 PM »

I found an app for my phone that sounds like it is from the same website.  Other than marinas the only 'local' station I'm finding is at the Gateway Express station at 2460 Navarre in Oregon (East Toledo to some). 

One of my old Cub Cadets has developed a nasty (scary if nothing else) tendency to backfire 'after' I shut it off.  I've set the idle down about as low as I can and I always let it set and idle for a bit before I turn the key off but sometimes it still wants to give a big bang.  The worst part is it happens several seconds after I shut it off.  I'm always careful not to get off and walk past the exhaust :o :o :o

I was reading on one of the forums that it probably has a carbon buildup and that the ethanol tends to make it worse...  so I'm going to get 5 or 10 gallons and see if that helps or not.  This winter I'll have to pull the engine and do some work on it anyway so I can check and see how much carbon is built up then.

In Tecumseh, Avery fuels sells non ethanol, so does Britton Gas and Grocerette on M50 on the east side of Britton.

BRD, what you need to do when you shut it off is apply the choke and then shut it off.  The richer mixture stops the backfire.  I have the same issue with my zero turn.  You can also add Seafoam to the gas to clean it out.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #623 on: June 11, 2017, 02:46:42 PM »

Seafoam! I wouldn't run a small engine without it anymore.  I would dump a can in my truck when I had a half tank about every 6 months. It just seemed to run smoother with a little more zip..

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #624 on: June 11, 2017, 04:59:17 PM »

Pretty much SOP for me to run Marine Stabil (blue not red) and Seafoam in weasel pee (ethanol gas)  I even use the Marine Stabil in the non-e gas I get in Tecumseh.  Seafoam makes a really dandy pressurized can of it with a special curved nozzle that you can slip under your intake air boot and blast your throttle body while the engine is running.  I'm a Seafoam junkie, I buy it by the gallon (cheaper that way too).

I do that yearly.  Cleans the throttle body, blows the crud out of the catalytic converter and gets rid of the carbon buildup.

Back in the day you could remove the air cleaner and spray it in that way but today with electronic engine controls, you cannot remove the intake piping and run the engine because it won't run.  The MAF senses no intake vacuum and shuts it down.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42]   Go Up