MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > A Public Safety Department in Monroe, what are your thoughts?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34   Go Down

Author Topic: A Public Safety Department in Monroe, what are your thoughts?  (Read 25825 times)

Billy

• Hero Talker
  • Don't let the smooth taste fool ya!
Re: A Public Safety Department in Monroe, what are your thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2011, 05:32:18 PM »

Uhhh...... my annonymous and seemingly ridiculous question was an honest one. Any answer?

Brian Beneteau

• Hero Talker
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2011, 05:34:40 PM »

Uhhh...... my annonymous and seemingly ridiculous question was an honest one. Any answer?
You may wish to call Parks and Recreation, but I do not believe that there was anything presented during budget that showed that the splash park will open.
Yours was not a ridiculous question, by the way, and there was no BS involved either way.
I don't share my thoughts with the intent to change your mind...I simply wish to let others know my thoughts so that if they are like minded, they know they aren't alone.

Billy

• Hero Talker
  • Don't let the smooth taste fool ya!
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2011, 05:43:19 PM »

Thank you.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2011, 07:29:31 PM »

:-\ If this is a closed forum to only City Residents - it needs to be posted that way at the beginning.

If not - many here will provide what was "requested" in the header -   their thoughts!   ;D

Tonight's paper confuses the previous statements, as it states they are now going to the recommendation of the "study" and hiring a Public Safety Director and a Deputy Director - who may or may not be one of the current Chief's (yeah right - like the bonus prize isn't going to one or both!)
It also states they plan to keep the Police and Fire as separate departments, but the police/ff's will respond to fire calls if they are able.
http://www.monroenews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110412/NEWS01/704129975

A question that has been asked before by others - may have come forward in the presentation.
Did the presentation called for the Police/FF's  to now participate in emergency call backs for the City and it's mutual aid partners, Frenchtown or Monroe Township, or will the ones on duty be tasked to respond?   

First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Baby Hitler

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2011, 07:41:18 PM »

:-\ If this is a closed forum to only City Residents - it needs to be posted that way at the beginning.

If not - many here will provide what was "requested" in the header -   their thoughts!   ;D

Tonight's paper confuses the previous statements, as it states they are now going to the recommendation of the "study" and hiring a Public Safety Director and a Deputy Director - who may or may not be one of the current Chief's (yeah right - like the bonus prize isn't going to one or both!)
It also states they plan to keep the Police and Fire as separate departments, but the police/ff's will respond to fire calls if they are able.

A question that has been asked before by others - may have come forward in the presentation.
Did the presentation called for the Police/FF's  to now participate in emergency call backs for the City and it's mutual aid partners, Frenchtown or Monroe Township, or will the ones on duty be tasked to respond?
You should have come to the meeting and asked your questions there, don't cha know?

eriedearie

• New Talker
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2011, 08:01:14 PM »

This turf protection needs to stop.  Police officers cross-trained as firefighters can work.
I can understand wanting to protect jobs, but, many professionals in other areas have had to assume more responsibilities as jobs are phased out.
If the police officers are trained and pass the courses, then, they are qualified to be level entry firemen... you cannot argue that they aren't firemen if they pass the same courses.
Is it possible that firefighters didn't think that the police officers could pass the same tests?  Now that they have, what's the argument? 

Boylanjl

• Hero Talker
  • xxx
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2011, 08:06:06 PM »

Prof H beat me to this so I was not going to copy the same thing again.   But a few questions. How does having a Public safety Director, an Assistant Director, a Police Chief and Fire Chief save money?  To me it just adds a layer of management that is directly responsible to the City Manager/Mayor and makes them a at will employee, unlike the police and fire chiefs who are civil service employees.  Does this allow Police Officers to fight fires by creating a Public Safety Department?   So the city charter mandates 2 departments by mandating a Fire Chief and Police Chief?    The article also stated that Chief Moore said not all officers will respond to a fire incident thus providing police services to the rest of the city, which is a good thing.

Baby Hitler

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2011, 08:53:58 PM »

Prof H beat me to this so I was not going to copy the same thing again.   But a few questions. How does having a Public safety Director, an Assistant Director, a Police Chief and Fire Chief save money?  To me it just adds a layer of management that is directly responsible to the City Manager/Mayor and makes them a at will employee, unlike the police and fire chiefs who are civil service employees.  Does this allow Police Officers to fight fires by creating a Public Safety Department?   So the city charter mandates 2 departments by mandating a Fire Chief and Police Chief?    The article also stated that Chief Moore said not all officers will respond to a fire incident thus providing police services to the rest of the city, which is a good thing.
Yes, both a fire chief and a police chief, but they get around having the rest of the department by having those two people.

Screw the rest of them.

Works out real well for the Fire Chief, as his job is mandated by the city charter.

Brian Beneteau

• Hero Talker
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2011, 09:09:30 PM »

Who said it was?

You have good thoughts and have worked your years in many different levels at the MFD. Many of your concerns have been brought up to both MPD Chief and MFD Chief.

If a major situation demands call backs, then yes both police and fire will use them.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 09:18:34 PM by Brian Beneteau »
I don't share my thoughts with the intent to change your mind...I simply wish to let others know my thoughts so that if they are like minded, they know they aren't alone.

Brian Beneteau

• Hero Talker
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2011, 09:13:20 PM »

The plan for hiring the Public Safety Director and Assistant Director has not been made available as of yet. However, the Public Safety Director and Assistant could also be the fire Chief and Police Chief in dual roles.

Brian Beneteau

• Hero Talker
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2011, 09:14:44 PM »

Yes, both a fire chief and a police chief, but they get around having the rest of the department by having those two people.

Screw the rest of them.

Works out real well for the Fire Chief, as his job is mandated by the city charter.
Who is trying to get around having a fire or police department? Keeping both was discussed.

Brian Beneteau

• Hero Talker
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2011, 09:17:15 PM »

This turf protection needs to stop.  Police officers cross-trained as firefighters can work.
I can understand wanting to protect jobs, but, many professionals in other areas have had to assume more responsibilities as jobs are phased out.
If the police officers are trained and pass the courses, then, they are qualified to be level entry firemen... you cannot argue that they aren't firemen if they pass the same courses.
Is it possible that firefighters didn't think that the police officers could pass the same tests?  Now that they have, what's the argument?
Seems that the argument is that the fire department is losing their staff, and that is incorrect. No fire department personnel will be losing their jobs, or at least not due to cross training police officers.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2011, 10:01:36 PM »

Seems that the argument is that the fire department is losing their staff, and that is incorrect. No fire department personnel will be losing their jobs, or at least not due to cross training police officers.
But isn't that the main reason for the required crosstraining? To save $ via downsizing?
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Brian Beneteau

• Hero Talker
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2011, 10:23:16 PM »

But isn't that the main reason for the required crosstraining? To save $ via downsizing?
No.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2011, 10:58:05 PM »

No.
So it's just an added bonus for the community?
Well it better be since you're not saving $ on it.....afterall you paid $ to have those people trained....assuming you didn't make them pay for it out of their own pockets.
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 34   Go Up