MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > Its That Morel Time of the Year!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Its That Morel Time of the Year!  (Read 2998 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Its That Morel Time of the Year!
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 09:35:46 AM »

Anyone care to share some favorite recipes??

I found this one a couple of weeks ago...   sounded pretty good...

http://www.petoskeynews.com/news/pnr-morels-take-center-stage-20110506,0,7635646.story?track=rss
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 09:40:11 AM »

I need some good recipes. Handsome was shopping once without his glasses and bought a package of dried morels. He thought he was getting a deal for $9... he missed the 1 in front of the 9. I've never made anything with morels and I'd hate to waste these little gems!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 09:41:39 AM »

Here's the beginning of the thread from last year...

some pretty good info in there :) :) :)

Aguilera

• Hero Talker
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 09:43:04 AM »

Here's the beginning of the thread from last year...

some pretty good info in there :) :) :)

Where, where??? 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 09:48:12 AM »

I need some good recipes. Handsome was shopping once without his glasses and bought a package of dried morels. He thought he was getting a deal for $9... he missed the 1 in front of the 9. I've never made anything with morels and I'd hate to waste these little gems!

I don't think you would "waste" them no matter what you did with them Monique...

Fried in butter is a pretty good standby...   there are probably hundreds of recipes out there...

We try to stay away from breading but I guess that is personal taste.

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 12:01:56 AM »

There is another little creek that runs under Yensch between Oelke and Ostrander.. But this one is approximately 1/8 mile south of Day Road and runs south of Day.. coming almost along side of it before it crosses Day Road.. then it travels somewhere between Day and Stone.. Then I think it crosses Stone.. I know it winds and turns a lot, because its the same creek that runs behinds my Aunts house on Blue Bush, east of Raisinville..

The Culvert was probably five feet as it goes under Yensch.. I played there all the time.. and there was another spot in Rehbergs farm where they had a partial stone bridge.. and a low bank.. We built a fort there..

One time.. I was singing inside the culvert.. good acoustics..  I was singing Roberta Flacks' Killing Me Softly.. and these older boys.. there were three of them.. They were not men but older than me.. 

They walked up on me because they were spear fishing... I was never so embarrassed in all my life..

Was that you?

That's what that noise was.  ;D

Could have been, that's ancient history. I remember running into other kids around there several times. don't remember a fort though.

LOL..  I know I already told you about the time I put my car in the ditch in the dead of winter.. freezing cold and snow everywhere..  Your parents house was the nearest one.. It was late at night and I was on a toot!..  I told them my grandparents owned the farm before them.. they remembered the name.. They were so nice.. I think you mother made me tea and you father and brother got a tractor.. pulled my car out... Still had time to make the bars in Maybee!!!..

We pulled a lot of people out of the snow or ditch out there over the years. Most were drunk too.

They were very nice people....

We will have to wait on an official map ruling about Little Sandy Creek from Big Red Dog...

I'll have to get my County Map out, maybe the creek that went through our farm was Sandy Crk it runs all the way to the State Park.

How late do Morels stay in season?  I have no problems asking people who live there if we can go in the woods... I am sure I can talk somebody along there into anyway.. I mean.. all we want to do is look for mushrooms...

Morels usually quit about mid May depending on the weather. This year is cooler and wetter so they may last longer.
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 05:43:04 AM »

Morels usually quit about mid May depending on the weather. This year is cooler and wetter so they may last longer.

I sure hope they last a little longer this year.  So far we've only found ONE.

And we had it with our dinner last night ;) ;) ;)   

Just fried in butter and it was absolutely delicious 8) 8) 8)

The Chicken

• Hero Talker
  • Common sense is not so common... Voltaire
    • The Chicken Channel
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 07:41:55 AM »

Map for TC...   Let me know if it's not right and I can adjust it for you ;) ;) ;)

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=41.99428,-83.59231&z=16&t=S&marker0=41.99525%2C-83.58584%2C7.4%20km%20NE%20of%20Dundee%20MI

Thank You BRD.. yes that's the address.. It is so sad seeing the farm..  I loved the farm and all my critters...  Its the place with the big pond.. If you look at those woods you can see how big they are..  You can also see where the creek starts to turn back towards Day road..  I would cover parts of the area from the creek then head south west... cover the western side.. I would not go all the way to Stewart... I would go about half way.. then head back east, then swing north so you can cover most of the woods..  As a kid I went into the woods all the time.. It was not that bad because there are a lot of animal/Deer trails...

Aguirella, you could always stop and ask.. Tell them you knew the Breedings that lived there...  Maybe they will remember buying the house from them..  Of course everything from the original farm is gone.. and our house was not a bad house..  Lightning got the barn.. but the people wanted to add onto the house, so it was easier to build a new one...  Its a McMansion.. With a Guest house built to scale on a smaller size... and a childrens playhouse... again looks just like the main home.. except smaller than the guest house... 

So if you don't make it this year.. Hopefully I can still walk next year.. I promise I will take us on a field trip... we will take Tiny too... I do know the family that has the creek going through their farm that he was Talking about...  The kids that I went to school with have the family farm.. and I am still in touch with one of the people who own the farm to the north of Day.. but I have never been in those woods...

There is NO in-flight Beverage Service on the 747 to HELL!

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 10:14:05 PM »

Thanks for the advice Chicken. My wife and I went out today and found a nice bunch 54 total. Some were between 5 and 6 inches tall. These are the late ones and with this cool weather I don't know if we will find any more. You were right that's Little Sandy Creek and the one that went through our old farm was Sandy creek, I had them confused. Hey since you did all this running around and stuff did you ever trap mushrats?  ;D Just had to ask, my brother did a lot of that every winter up and down those creeks. Here are some pics took today.

The Chicken

• Hero Talker
  • Common sense is not so common... Voltaire
    • The Chicken Channel
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, 10:58:57 PM »

Wow..

I really wish my mother was not so afraid of wild Mushrooms..  I have never had one.. I just remember that family and how they would have bread bag full.. They had five kids.. I am sure it really helped with their food bill..

Now I played outside all the time.. I was also too young for some of the other kids that lived around there and my siblings.. So I was a really a wild child that roamed everywhere around there...

No I never trapped anything...  I remember one time some people had trapped the creek.. They owned the farm.. it was one of their grandkids so he didn't live there.. and were not checking the traps.. My cat got caught in one of them...  I walked that creek and took everyone of their traps.. I know they were trapping for ground hogs.. So my dad told them, he would take care of the ground hogs... because you should not trap and only check them once a week...

I would see muskrats.. I remember one year our fields flooded so bad (the reason there is a Pond) Muskrats build their homes.. 

My dad had a special talent on getting rid of ground hogs.. Involving gasoline, an old one inch water pipe.. and his .22..  They can be a problem when they are really building mounds because you can tip a tractor... or break a leg on your horse...

I remember wild strawberries.. they should be coming in first week of June.. there are a lot of black berries around there too and wild carrots..  In the spring.. me and my Mamaw would go mustard green picking in the hay field and horse pasture.. Dandalions are good in the spring too!... We had wild Polk.. you know for Polk salad.. My other grandmother knew when to pick polk.. If you don't pick it at the correct time, it can make you sick...

I don't know if it was because I was the youngest, but I was outside so much.. if I got hungry, I would eat what I found because it was such a long walk back home... lol
There is NO in-flight Beverage Service on the 747 to HELL!

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 11:20:12 PM »

Sounds about like when we were growing up except I had 7 brothers and 1 sister. We've always eaten these mushrooms never got sick. One time my aunt and uncle came out to look through our woods and found a huge bunch of mushrooms that looked a little like morels but had a real long stem and just a tiny head on them. My uncle insisted they were morels but we weren't sure so we gave them all to him. We looked them up in a book and it said they were false morels, could make you sick. We were glad we didn't eat any. My uncle says they were good and they never got sick from them.  :o

We always just fried them in butter and man were they some good eating, fantastic flavor, we'll find out tomarrow when we eat these.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 07:18:26 AM »

Nice find there Tiny.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

Aguilera

• Hero Talker
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2011, 09:07:06 AM »

I AM SO JEALOUS!  I want to go hunting so very bad and this week is packed.  We have not had much luck but I want to go out this week at some point.  Anyone who knows me knows that I will talk to anyone so I guess I should just start knocking on doors.  Thanks again for the info Chicken...........I think that we are just very inexperienced and have a tendency to not look in the right places!

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2011, 01:11:49 PM »

JUST GO!

We don't knock on doors, we drive around till find a good spot and get out and look. If you don't find anything real quick we move on. There's no time for anyone to come chase us down and throw us out. The worst they'll do is tell you to leave. Never had anyone chase us out.

We found these from the car window. I was looking out the passengers window from the driver's seat and seen the big one in the first picture. My wife didn't see it. When I got out I began to see lots more, so we grabbed the bag and started picking. These were on the creek bank, and some of them we had to drive down the road to find a spot we could cross then hike back to get them. They were all with in 10 feet of each other.

I've heard to look under old apple trees, by dead elm trees and under live ash trees. We've found them in dark black soil, sand and just about anywhere. Can't figure any rhyme or reason but the weather this spring is very wet, which is one requirement. Warm weather, the second requirement, would make it even better. I think these are from that 81 degree day we had. This week will probably be the last if not too cold.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 01:17:58 PM by Tiny »

Aguilera

• Hero Talker
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2011, 03:43:45 PM »

JUST GO!

We don't knock on doors, we drive around till find a good spot and get out and look. If you don't find anything real quick we move on. There's no time for anyone to come chase us down and throw us out. The worst they'll do is tell you to leave. Never had anyone chase us out.

We found these from the car window. I was looking out the passengers window from the driver's seat and seen the big one in the first picture. My wife didn't see it. When I got out I began to see lots more, so we grabbed the bag and started picking. These were on the creek bank, and some of them we had to drive down the road to find a spot we could cross then hike back to get them. They were all with in 10 feet of each other.

I've heard to look under old apple trees, by dead elm trees and under live ash trees. We've found them in dark black soil, sand and just about anywhere. Can't figure any rhyme or reason but the weather this spring is very wet, which is one requirement. Warm weather, the second requirement, would make it even better. I think these are from that 81 degree day we had. This week will probably be the last if not too cold.

Honestly, I need to go with someone that is a seasoned hunter.........I just don't usually have the eye for them.  Where do you go?  Along the woods?  Where abouts without giving up your spots?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up