MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > Monsanto's grip on farmers may be weakening

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monsanto's grip on farmers may be weakening  (Read 1192 times)

Gary Taepke

• New Talker
Monsanto's grip on farmers may be weakening
« on: July 24, 2007, 10:43:23 PM »

I stumbled across this article today, which says that the Public Patent Foundation (PUBPAT) announced today that the United States Patent and Trademark Office has rejected four key Monsanto patents related to genetically modified crops that PUBPAT challenged last year because the agricultural giant is using them to harass, intimidate, sue -- and in some cases literally bankrupt -- American farmers.  Here is a link to the story:

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/07-24-2007/0004631379&EDATE=

I do a little part-time farming, and I know that Monroe County is a farming community.  Most farmers these days plant "Roundup-Ready" seed, which is genetically altered so the crop is not affected by the use of Roundup (or other glyphosate type) herbicides.  What do you think?  Roundup-Ready seed is very expensive, and a lot of that money goes to Monsanto.  Do they deserve it?  Should Monsanto sue farmers who save seed from one year to the next?  An argument can be made for both sides - I would like to hear what the rest of the Monroe County farmers think.

Gary Taepke

Pages: [1]   Go Up