MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > 11 held for food stamp fraud after store raids in Detroit

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 11 held for food stamp fraud after store raids in Detroit  (Read 1391 times)

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
11 held for food stamp fraud after store raids in Detroit
« on: September 22, 2011, 10:11:32 AM »

This is the kind of crackdown I like to see.....those who participate in abusing the system. 

http://www.freep.com/article/20110922/NEWS01/109220440/1001/news

The federal government is cracking down on food stamp fraud in metro Detroit, arresting nearly a dozen store owners in a recent sweep.

The suspects, authorities say, redeemed food stamps for everything from booze and clothing to appliances and furniture. Cash also was a hot trade-off.

In one case, for example, a store owner offered a 50% exchange range for food stamps: If a customer wanted $25 cash, the owner would charge $50 in food stamp benefits, court records indicate.

"Taxpayers in Michigan fund the food stamp program to provide food for the needy, not to create a commodity to be traded for profit," U.S. Attorney Barbara McQuade said Wednesday in announcing the arrests.

According to McQuade, the sweep targeted the following businesses:

• Dollar City in Detroit. Owner Yousef Haddad of Canton was arrested on food stamp charges.

• Dollar & Party in Detroit. Owner Khalil Haddad of Canton was arrested and charged with food stamp fraud.

• Dollar Palace in Inkster. Owner Tony Gumma of Sterling Heights was arrested on wire fraud charges.

• H&J Fish Market in Detroit. Owner Jihad Sayed of Dearborn was arrested on wire fraud charges.

• Caesar Food Center in Detroit. Arrested and charged with food stamp fraud were store owner Ayad Yatooma of Shelby Township and Adnan Kejbou of Troy.

• King Cole Foods in Detroit. Owners Ghazi Manni of Sterling Heights and Adil Manni of West Bloomfield were arrested on food stamp fraud charges.

• Country Farm Market in Pontiac. Owners Kushaba and Philips Hermiz of Rochester were arrested and charged.

• 30th Street Market in Detroit. Owner Ursula Grigsby of Detroit was arrested on wire fraud charges.

The arrests were part of an ongoing effort by U.S. and state law enforcement, which launched a project to weed out food stamp traffickers in 2007.

Support the local economy as much as possible!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
Re: 11 held for food stamp fraud after store raids in Detroit
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 10:31:48 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised that a local investigation would turn up some abuse right here in our area 8* 8* 8*
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »

I reckon you are right on that one.

These are a minute portion of the abuse of the systems.....but I applaud it regardless.

ShorTea

• Hero Talker
  • Oooow
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 03:19:30 PM »

That's a good place to start, now if they just keep cleaning, all the way up the "food chain" there's probably more than enough money to cover the government and needed public services.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 03:25:25 PM »

I agree, but I hope the actual offenders who received the entitlements that traded them in or used them for the wrong intent are penalized in some fashion as well.

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 04:00:44 PM »

I agree, but I hope the actual offenders who received the entitlements that traded them in or used them for the wrong intent are penalized in some fashion as well.

This is true Fuzz, but the reason they received those entitlements are probably still in cribs in their homes.  :-\

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 04:14:27 PM »

Yup, I know, and I am sensitive to that.....but still, it should not go unpunished.  It is abuse of the system.

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 04:23:40 PM »

I agree.  The kids should be put in a home that takes care of them.  The rotter can go to jail!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 04:35:41 PM »

Hum,  kind of interesting looking at the last names of the individuals involved.  Where do you suppose all the revenue ends up that these guys skim off the Americans.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 04:59:42 PM »

I couldn't help but to notice that as well blue2.

Just like the school lunch program fraud I posted last week.

Unbelievable.....and I know it's not in general, but the recent arrests do have a lot of foreign nationals in them. 

Why do they have to come here and defraud our systems....hell, we send plenty of money their way through foreign aid.   ;D

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 08:00:11 PM »

Same nationality as the guy that owned 6 or 7 IHOP's in Toledo area that FBI raided yesterday.   I am growing more leary everyday of these guys from the MidEast.  I personally know a guy that owns 2 restaurants in Toledo that is from MidEast.  He pays everything under the table and pays no income tax.  He is not afraid of the government.  He says all they will do is try to send him back and that will take years.

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 08:20:08 PM »

Some people, ALL nationalities, are proud of how they can rip US off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up