MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Sports > Red Wings 2011-2012

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Red Wings 2011-2012  (Read 1502 times)

ussoccer26

• Hero Talker
Red Wings 2011-2012
« on: November 12, 2011, 12:38:59 AM »

I'm a little surprised at the lack of interest in the Red Hot Wings this year, so I guess I'll start this topic and see how it goes. 

Looks like they spanked the Oilers today! Guess howard pitched the shutout for the 3-0 victory. I think thats win #3 in a row now. Surprisingly we're still sitting 6 points behind the Blackhawks in the central. What's up with that?
Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition.

Collegekid

• Hero Talker
  • Doing the impossible makes us mighty.
Re: Red Wings 2011-2012
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 12:11:38 PM »

That long losing streak, that's what caused the hole.

I think that was Howard's third shut out as well.
http://daveherndon.blogspot.com/

You believe in life after death, I believe in death after life

I swear it upon Zeus; an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.

- Socrates

Non Illegitimati Carborundum

"Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they are going to collapse. But the very best know the mind tires before the body and push themselves further and further, beyond all limits. Only when these limits are shattered can the unattainable be reached."

ussoccer26

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 04:43:10 PM »

I guess with it being early in the season I can see how we would be that far back in the standings. Hopefully the wings can tear it up this year. I'd like to see Lidstrom get one more cup.
Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 07:00:16 PM »

I'm a little surprised at the lack of interest in the Red Hot Wings this year, so I guess I'll start this topic and see how it goes. 

Looks like they spanked the Oilers today! Guess howard pitched the shutout for the 3-0 victory. I think thats win #3 in a row now. Surprisingly we're still sitting 6 points behind the Blackhawks in the central. What's up with that?

I love hockey....but really don't start watching games until after New Year's Day.  I watch the standings and read about the Wings during the early season.

I don't really get fired up until teams are fighting for playoff spots, and then the entire playoff schedule.

Go Wings!
Support the local economy as much as possible!

ducksoup

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 03:01:40 PM »

If you haven’t been watching the wings lately, you missed a couple of gems.  The last two were hard to tell that they were not playoff games.  The one against the blues a week or so ago was too.  That one showed that the wings can be rough and tough if needed.

Toronto Maple Leafs was great.  They lost it, but clearly Detroit really was the better team on the ice.  Happens sometimes where the best team loses.  Toronto had a big stage with BBC Canada and a chance to sparkle against the mighty wings and did.  Personally I thought Howard looked tired. 

Last night was first place Blackhawks.  They are good.  Last night they were the better team on the ice.  Funny how a lot of times people complain about calls going against your team, well, last night was reverse.  They were NOT called for some bad ones; several at least.  It seemed odd to play Conklin for such an important game (and Howard in Toronto when it didn’t matter as much) but Conklin did good.  The penalty shot scared me as he had faced 3 and lost 3 but this one he stopped (whew).  Wings looked tired and lagged in the first where the hawks scored two, one on a power play.   Second period competed and didn’t seem as tired.  Third was pretty well all wings.  (okay, I did say hawks were better team on ice, exclude third period, but overall they were better.) The two goals were exciting, tying the game.  Overtime!  Well, what can I say other than DUCKSOUP!   Number 13 was awesome as usual all game but his winning goal tipped over from almost behind the net...  I think maybe as good is it was an NBC game and the sportscasters all raved on and on about Datsyuk like he is the best player on ice.... Hmmm.  Oh, except one thing... they said except maybe Marion Hossa... HOSSA?  Even in the same sentence?  Geesh!

I have seen a lot of hockey players and some that excel at different things but what Ducksoup does day in and day out ... no one comes close.
After one taste, you'll duck soup the rest of your life ... Groucho Marx.

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 05:44:40 PM »

I'm not a big hockey fan but my son is. The trouble is that the referees can easily turn a game around with bad calls and missed calls. Players get screwed too easy by the refs.
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

ducksoup

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 06:42:11 PM »

Tiny.  As far as the Blackhawks game last night, yeah, I think the Hawks have a legitimate gripe.  I have also seen quite a few very unbalanced against the wings. But, I don’t think that over all the officiating is bad.  Some say that officiating is worse in the NHL than any other sport.  Might be, but hockey is fast and players are all over; they can’t see everything and are human.

Seems like I hear a lot more grumbling about football calls than hockey. 

But, saying all of that I have seen games, particularly in the playoffs that the deck is stacked against the given leader.  I don’t just mean Wings, but any other pair too.  That bias seems consistent but only in playoffs.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 08:20:38 PM »

That St. Louis rivalry is heating back up, Duck.

Glad to see it.....always loved those series.

ducksoup

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 09:23:09 PM »

That St. Louis rivalry is heating back up, Duck.

Glad to see it.....always loved those series.

Always have loved the games against the Blues.
Although it seems to be heating up between Blackhawks too.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 02:25:48 PM »

I'm hearing on the sportstalk radio - they may be playing Toronto  in one of the outside winter classic games - at the Big House on January 1st.

Would be interesting to see -
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 07:37:02 PM »

Always have loved the games against the Blues.
Although it seems to be heating up between Blackhawks too.

I see a lot of hockey in St. Louis......their arch rival are the Wings, then the Blackhawks.  Kind of same with us.

I'm hearing on the sportstalk radio - they may be playing Toronto  in one of the outside winter classic games - at the Big House on January 1st.

Another great rivalry that I have missed!

I heard the same on WDFN on the way home a bit ago....didn't hear it was going to be against Toronto though.  That would be something to see.

ussoccer26

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 07:38:47 PM »

I would love to see that happen! I love watching Toronto and Detroit go at it!

Billy

• Hero Talker
  • Don't let the smooth taste fool ya!
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 09:41:55 AM »

That would be awesome. I'm not a big fan of the winter classic being played in baseball stadiums. They have to be the worst venue for a hockey game. Some of the seating is just too far away from the ice.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2012, 07:32:52 PM »

I'd still like to see if with the skyline of Detroit in the background as offered by Comerica Park.  Parking would be better downtown as well.

I understand the NFL's want to hold the largest hockey venue, but just think it should be downtown Detroit because of the parking, immediate party establishments surrounding it, and showcase the city somewhat.

Make the big college tourney always hosted in Detroit and move that out to The Big House.

ussoccer26

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 12:34:26 PM »

It's official. The Wings take on the Maple Leafs in the Big House! They are also talking about the alumni game being played in Comerica Park. This should be a heck of a week for hockey next year!

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/7459001/nhl-eyes-maple-leafs-red-wings-winter-classic-big-house-second-rink-detroit
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up