MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > Notice any thing new driving around Monroe County?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 70   Go Down

Author Topic: Notice any thing new driving around Monroe County?  (Read 83888 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Notice any thing new driving around Monroe County?
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2013, 08:18:30 PM »

I've actually been pricing them for taking some videos and photos for my work...  the problem is the law is very, very vague on if they can be used or not...  but I can sure see us having some fun with one ;) ;) ;)

I'm sure the resolution is good enough to count your crainial hairs or lack of..... :P
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2013, 08:26:11 PM »

...  but I can sure see us having some fun with one ;) ;) ;)

No doubt!   ;)
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2013, 11:21:32 AM »

I am thinking a drone would be a blast to have.....

Wonder how hard it would be to arm it.....
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

MM1

• Hero Talker
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2013, 11:48:36 AM »

I see the preparation in motion for the beautiful new (sarcasm) Hometown Pharmacy.

I see the beautiful old National Guard Armory building being readied to be scraped into memory.

I seriously think that new pharmacy they built 3 miles up the road near Stewart is an eyesore and now we'll have 2 withing a couple of miles of each other!!!  ugh. 

The beautiful, 85 yr old iconic building will soon be gone.  So sad.  I kept hopeing someone would be able to create something new out of it like Jack's Bicycles did with the old building downtown. 

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2013, 12:41:49 PM »

More potholes.....

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2013, 12:44:44 PM »

I was up near the intersection of 96 and 275 earlier this week....what a mess.  Cars pulled over changing flats from hitting those potholes head on.

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2013, 12:50:16 PM »

I was up near the intersection of 96 and 275 earlier this week....what a mess.  Cars pulled over changing flats from hitting those potholes head on.

Part of that is the new generation of low aspect ratio tires that are coming on cars these days.  No sidewalls and large rims.  No sidewalls mean not much impact flex so they blow out.  They look cool but in reality on Monroe County roads, not much good.

I'll stick with conventional tires (70-78) series sidewalls.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2013, 12:58:27 PM »

Yup, I'm aware of that reality.

A few of the cars pulled over were not the low profile tires though.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2013, 01:04:37 PM »

Yup, I'm aware of that reality.

A few of the cars pulled over were not the low profile tires though.

...and most drivers never check tire pressure either because radials don't appear to be low on air when they actually are, one reason the NHTSA mandated in tire inflation sensors on newer cars.

Soft (underinflated) tires not only rob fuel mileage because of internal flexing, bit they can't absorb road shock (from potholes) and fail.

The last thing deivers do is check pressires (if they ever do).  The only ones checking tires are cats and dogs that pee on them............. :P

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2013, 01:10:19 PM »

Yup....the pressure sensors have turned out to be a neat technology....and preventative one for me since my car has the larger wheels with low profile tires.  You're right, it is hard to tell if they are low by looking at them nowadays. 

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2013, 01:18:42 PM »

Class 6-8 Heavy duty trucks are getting them too.  Nice thing is because they have on board air systems (for the brakes and suspensions) is that the air is there, all the time.  The newest truck systems feed an airline with a check valve through the wet hub, out to fill lines to each of the dual wheels.  the preset check valves maintains tire pressure at as preset level (usually 105 PSI).  All our new tractors and trailer are equipped with them and the front wheels/tires have the valve stem sensors like a car has with an in dash warming light.  Low tire pressure on a big truck is instant disaster when loaded.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2013, 02:29:04 PM »

Plank Road took out 3 18" wheels and 5 tires on a Lease Car I had a few years ago.

It had 18" tires on it...  not sure how many we would have went through with the 19" wheels we could have got.

The Sensor did no good.  They were fully inflated - no way that tire could survive that road.

Took some of my Japanese friends down the road with an instrumented car.  Blew their mind the loads / accelerations they were seeing.

Love what Frenchtown is doing with Telegraph.  Wonder how many weeks after the barrels go up that they will get serious and start working on it.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2013, 05:03:52 PM »

Plank Road took out 3 18" wheels and 5 tires on a Lease Car I had a few years ago.

It had 18" tires on it...  not sure how many we would have went through with the 19" wheels we could have got.

The Sensor did no good.  They were fully inflated - no way that tire could survive that road.

Took some of my Japanese friends down the road with an instrumented car.  Blew their mind the loads / accelerations they were seeing.

Love what Frenchtown is doing with Telegraph.  Wonder how many weeks after the barrels go up that they will get serious and start working on it.

If you approach the posted speed limit on Plank, you deserve to blow tires, bend rims and pop ball joints.  I'd drive in peoples front yards but it's too muddy. ;D

Those aren't barrels, those a Snider eggs.  They hatch every spring.  They will start when it warms up.  The Snider eggs 'give' the appearance of working......  Kind of reminds me of the government in general.

I'm suprised that the 'instrumented car' didn't have it's instruments fall on the floor.  Must have been bolted down securely.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2013, 07:48:52 PM »

Less load inputs at 60 then 45.....  hear me now and believe me later....
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2013, 09:55:19 PM »

I believe you.  The suspension at 60 can't rebound quick enough to utilize full travel, whereas at 45 (depending on rebound and compression rates in shock valving as well as the spring rates themselves), the suspension has a chance to regain more travel so the load input is more because the movement of the suspension components is more...and it wears faster.

At 60, the vehicle squats down because the suspension remains partially to fully compressed and the load input is directly transmitted to the frame and major assemblies.

Thats why it's advantageous to drive 'like you stole it' on roads likie Plank and flip me off because I'm going slowly.................... ;D

Of course when you pop your spot welds and the suspension components fatigue and fail, just get another vehicle.

See, I might be a dumb republican but I'm good in physics and geometry.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 70   Go Up