MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > Notice any thing new driving around Monroe County?

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 70   Go Down

Author Topic: Notice any thing new driving around Monroe County?  (Read 75949 times)

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: Notice any thing new driving around Monroe County?
« Reply #975 on: November 05, 2018, 06:07:11 PM »

Pure bad roads, pure bad drivers, pure stupid insurance rates, pure screw you pension tax.  It's 'pure' allright.  Gonna be real 'pure' after Whitmer really screws things up.  I cannot wait.

4 years of gridlock on the way.

I just hope that she doesn't find a way to go the Granholm route and run up a bunch of debt to "fix the damn roads" just when we are finally paying off the Jenny from the Block debt.

Those that are too dumb to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #976 on: November 05, 2018, 09:57:53 PM »

One of my big issue with Whitmer (other than she's a Granholm wannabe) is she's anti 2A and Michigan is a sport hunting state.  Her vision is no firearms in private hands.  Bad enough I get to hear that from liberal states like Oregon and Kalifornia but Michigan...  Give me a break.

Guess we will know on Wednesday how bad it will be.  Got a feeling between Prop 1 and Whitmer, the slides are greased for a trip down the tubes.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #977 on: November 07, 2018, 10:44:29 PM »

I see the pile of concrete next to KFC on N. Telegraph is getting bigger...   Maybe they are collecting it 
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #978 on: November 08, 2018, 12:04:32 PM »

Have to look, I'm heading that way today.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #979 on: November 15, 2018, 10:25:01 PM »

Well down the road south and across the road from the KFC  neighbor pile of concrete -  it appears someone is developing a strip mall as they dug out the concrete there and look to expand possibly? 
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #980 on: November 16, 2018, 12:36:56 AM »

Napa is moving to the building on Telegraph that just got painted NAPA blue and grey. The old NAPA will be torn down to make room for more parking at the Credit Union.
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #981 on: November 17, 2018, 09:30:55 AM »

Napa is moving to the building on Telegraph that just got painted NAPA blue and grey. The old NAPA will be torn down to make room for more parking at the Credit Union.

That's going to make that nicer for the CU and give NAPA a better location with parking as well.

Any Idea of the KFC neighbor?   
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #982 on: November 17, 2018, 06:58:41 PM »

Gonna rant a bit and I hope Maverick is paying attention...  I'm also going to write to the MN as an opinion editorial letter...

I've lived out here between Petersburg and Deerfield for over 30 years now and in those thirty odd years, one thing that never changes is the deplorable condition of the unpaved road.  Not just the road in front of the farm, but all unpaved roads in Monroe County.  They all suck big time.  Without exception I might add.

The MCRC's patent answer is grading and application of stone but in reality, that is a band aid fix at best.  The underlying issue and what causes the roadbed to become unstable, generate huge potholes and get soupy is never addressed.

That underlying issue is, the berms are higher than the road bed so the water ponds on the road and causes that instability.  Added to that is the absence of drainage ditches on at least one side of the road.  When I moved out here there were shallow ditches, those have vanished due to farmers using them as dead furrows and filling them in because they are too lazy to reverse direction on the headlands and turn the dead furrow to the land side not the spoil side.

It's way past time for the MCRC to get their Gradall out of the barn and start cutting in ditches on roadsides and cutting berms down to road grade to allow the water some place to go besides the middle of the road.  We pay enough in taxes and the MCRC has enough funding to institute that and get it done.  If necessary, farmers should be assessed for the cost as it was their negligence that caused the ditches to be filled in, in the first place.

I'm really sick of crap secondary roads in this county.  Besides having substandard primary roads we have sub-sub standard unpaved roads.

I can go west a mile into Lenawee County and the horrible wet, mucky pot holed road turns into a dry, smooth freeway because the LCRC maintains the ditches and the berms are lower than the road bed.  Pretty simple really.

Time for the MCRC to get off it's arse and actually do something to benefit the residents of Monroe County instead of buying real estate and sitting around the barn drinking coffee, eating doughnuts and wasting taxpayer dollars.  Thye have not only the equipment but the manpower to do it.

Rant over but I'm not stopping there.  Nest is a letter to the editor and who know what else.  I'm really sick and tired of the inability of the NCRC to maintain the infrastructure of the county.  After all, that is their ONLY job and they fail miserably at it.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #983 on: November 17, 2018, 10:06:46 PM »

But the MCRC will harass a new business at Smith and Telegraph forcing them to put in a million dollar entrance into the mulch lot.  All the while the roads they maintain are crap.

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #984 on: November 18, 2018, 02:13:52 AM »

There's an opening at the Road Commission for a 6 year term as a board member. The best way to influence a solution is to be a part of it.
I believe the application deadline is still open.
The county board of commissioners is not the Monroe County Road Commission. Separate entities all together.
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #985 on: November 18, 2018, 06:47:45 AM »

I though the MCRC appointed someone recently

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #986 on: November 18, 2018, 08:46:55 AM »

There's an opening at the Road Commission for a 6 year term as a board member. The best way to influence a solution is to be a part of it.
I believe the application deadline is still open.
The county board of commissioners is not the Monroe County Road Commission. Separate entities all together.

Is this a legit - or do they have someone picked already that has political ties? 

I've applied 3 times -  each time they already had their choice but had to go through the procedure...   

in our area  they have been filling in the shoulders with stone (properly)  - another reason the roads crumble and fail on the edges...    Proper drainage has always been necessary for a road to survive. 
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #987 on: November 18, 2018, 09:25:29 AM »

Over the years, I've learned that the road commish appoints who they want with total disregard for correct procedure.  Mav, I wanted you to read my missive for an another reason.  You know the movers and shakers, I don't and my chance of getting on the road board is about as good as winning the lottery.

Talk about a dysfunctional tax payer funded entity, there it is.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #988 on: November 18, 2018, 09:31:33 AM »

But the MCRC will harass a new business at Smith and Telegraph forcing them to put in a million dollar entrance into the mulch lot.  All the while the roads they maintain are crap.

Exactly.  It's a simple, in your face thing that they cannot comprehend or don't want to.  Far sa the business on Stearns and Telegraph, it is an eyesore and really shouldn't be there.  Should be in an industrial zoned area like on Lavoy between Dixie and Telegraph.  How would you like to be the residents living west of that (hint, I know some).  Talk about devaluing property values, there it is.  In fact, should be between Toledo Steel and American handling across from the water treatment plant.

BTW, Jounior Bates owns that property. and it was supposed to be sold to Dundee Products but the deal fell through, for what reason, I have no idea.  Knowing Bates, I bet whomever is running / owns that mess is related somehow to Bates.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #989 on: November 18, 2018, 09:33:56 AM »

Is this a legit - or do they have someone picked already that has political ties? 

I've applied 3 times -  each time they already had their choice but had to go through the procedure...   

in our area  they have been filling in the shoulders with stone (properly)  - another reason the roads crumble and fail on the edges...    Proper drainage has always been necessary for a road to survive.

Only 'drainage' considered right at the MCRC is the urinal in the men's room or the bushes out back.  Don't have a clue or should I say, don't want to have a clue.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 70   Go Up