MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > 'Stand Your Ground'

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 33   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Stand Your Ground'  (Read 38028 times)

Monique

• Hero Talker
Re: Shooting mystery: Miami-Dade teen killed by a crime watch captain
« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2012, 04:13:15 PM »

I think YOU COMPLETELY MISSED MY POINT and ONLY want to argue.

Now stop arguing with me just to argue with me, turn off the cable news and go outside and enjoy the day.  The media has you all worked into a tizzy.
Snixxx. This ain't my first rodeo, pal. No thanks, not playing.

Have a pleasant afternoon, V.

jbs49238

• Hero Talker
« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2012, 05:03:20 PM »

Well I wasn't going to continue with you anyway.  Way to light the wick and then walk away and act surprised that there was an explosion... you could work in the news industry... LOL!

Not playing... lulz... you started the game.  I will have a pleasant afternoon thanks.

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #107 on: April 02, 2012, 06:42:01 PM »

At least President Clinton agrees with me! lol

<excerpt>
Clinton said "people have always had a right to have a handgun in their home- to protect their homes- then we've seen this breathtaking expansion of the concealed weapons laws in America moving from the late 90's into this decade, far - if you will - to the extreme that America had ever been on these.

"And now the Stand Your Ground law," he continued. "I think the law is going to create real problems because anyone can - anyone who doesn't have a criminal background, anyone not prohibited by the Brady Bill and caught by the checks - can basically be a part of a neighborhood watch where they have a concealed weapon whether they had proper law enforcement training or not. And whether they've had any experience in conflict situations with people or not.

"So I hope this will lead to a reappraisal of the Stand Your Ground laws," President Clinton said, "and I hope that the truth will come out and that the tragedy of this young man's loss will not be in vain- it's just terrible. Whatever the facts were - all these people trying to jump on him and talking about some mistake he made in his life- that's irrelevant because unarmed person who was killed on the street by a gun. And so I hope justice will be done in this case but I hope that the larger justice that would somehow redeem a portion of this terrible loss."

He said: "the American people should re-examine their position on that and ask: Is this really worth it? Are we really all that much safer taking the chance that this kind of thing could happen over and over and over again?"

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/president-clinton-hopes-trayvon-martin-case-leads-reappraisal-111305679--abc-news-politics.html
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 07:00:56 PM by Monique »

ducksoup

• Hero Talker
« Reply #108 on: April 02, 2012, 07:32:03 PM »

The LAW is not the problem.... proving Zimmerman acted outside of the law IS.

Well, daaa.  The contention is that this LAW is what is being used (SYG) by calling it self defense.  I find it troubling that the lead Detective on the scene recommended he be charged with manslaughter but the Police Chief and DA arrived and said that there would be no charges made.  If things went as you want, that is where it would stay.  No investigation or questions, he just walks.  The media “hype” as you call it changed it to having an investigation now.  That does not mean he will be charged or not, but at least now there will be an investigation.  So, the LAW is a problem because if it is invoked then there is no investigation and no charges, oh, and no possible recourse in another court as the law prevents them being sued too.
After one taste, you'll duck soup the rest of your life ... Groucho Marx.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2012, 08:35:47 PM »

It still hasn't been proven that Zimmerman was standing his ground and then just shot the kid.  A number of reports indicate that Zimmerman lost track of Martin. And then the next incident it appears Martin might have attacked Zimmerman.  Just another twist to what might have happened. 

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2012, 09:13:19 PM »

It still hasn't been proven that Zimmerman was standing his ground and then just shot the kid.  A number of reports indicate that Zimmerman lost track of Martin. And then the next incident it appears Martin might have attacked Zimmerman.  Just another twist to what might have happened.
What are you smoking? My guess is that it's spiked with something hallucinogenic.

Look at the official police report:
http://media.trb.com/media/acrobat/2012-03/69081607-29132322.pdf

Your version of events is completely false.

That moronic SYG law was unnecessary.....self-defense has always sufficed.

The guy killed a kid for merely walking down the street.

Zim had a the power of a gun and it went to his head.

Let's face it....otherwise he'd be a coward....not unlike most gun advocates.
Sanford police detective Chris Serino, unconvinced by Zimmerman's story of self-defense, wanted to charge him with manslaughter, but was overruled by the prosecutor.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/02/us-usa-florida-shooting-prosecutor-idUSBRE83116420120402

Via The LA Times: "Officers marched a handcuffed George Zimmerman into Sanford, Fla., police headquarters the night he shot and killed Trayvon Martin, and video from security cameras picked up no obvious sign of injury to the neighborhood watch volunteer..."
George Zimmerman Video Analysis

The voice heard crying for help on a 911 call just before Trayvon Martin was shot to death was not that of George Zimmerman, according to two forensic voice identification experts
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/01/10963191-trayvon-martin-case-911-call-screams-not-george-zimmermans-2-experts-say
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2012, 09:16:07 PM »

Video Of George Zimmerman At Police Station After Shooting Trayvon Martin

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Edited to add:

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #112 on: April 02, 2012, 10:08:20 PM »

Perhaps a self-inflicted wound to bolster his story.

The enhanced video does not show any injury to Zimmerman's nose, nor any blood on his shirt.

The Miami funeral director who prepared Trayvon’s body for burial said the teenager had no bruising on his knuckles or any other sign that he had been in a brawl

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/enhanced-video-shows-zimmerman-head-wound-trayvon-scuffle-abc-article-1.1054625#ixzz1qwGhHuBB

Look how big Zim is compared to the lightweight kid....it's clear Zim was the aggressor...and the screaming supports that assertion.

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

sammy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #113 on: April 02, 2012, 10:13:44 PM »

I was so impressed when Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton came to Detroit to protest the killing of an innocent two-year-old By "random" gunfire. Oh, wait...

sammy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #114 on: April 02, 2012, 10:16:48 PM »

Perhaps a self-inflicted wound to bolster his story.

The enhanced video does not show any injury to Zimmerman's nose, nor any blood on his shirt.

The Miami funeral director who prepared Trayvon’s body for burial said the teenager had no bruising on his knuckles or any other sign that he had been in a brawl

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/enhanced-video-shows-zimmerman-head-wound-trayvon-scuffle-abc-article-1.1054625#ixzz1qwGhHuBB

Look how big Zim is compared to the lightweight kid....it's clear Zim was the aggressor...and the screaming supports that assertion.
Wow! Judge and jury. You 'da man!

sammy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #115 on: April 02, 2012, 10:32:39 PM »

The white right-wing MT members are sure concerned about the right to kill blacks at will.

One would think the natural desire for justice would overcome their prejudice and they'd consider simply that a human being was gunned down for nothing but no....the gun nuts and racists are teaming up to defend the wrongdoing.

Good ole Monroetucky....land of the bigoted inbreds.
You so stooopid! Methinks you racist too!

ussoccer26

• Hero Talker
« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2012, 10:49:57 PM »

Inside Politics: NBC News to probe misleading edit of Zimmerman 911 tape

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/apr/2/inside-politics-nbc-news-to-probe-misleading-edit-/

Amid withering criticism from media watchdogs, NBC News said Monday that it will conduct an internal probe into how and why an audiotape of George Zimmerman’s 911 call was altered to make the Florida neighborhood watch volunteer sound racist.

Mr. Zimmerman, who has said he fatally shot teenager Trayvon Martin in self-defense, is at the center of a raging national controversy over race, guns and stereotyping.

“We have launched an internal investigation into the editorial process surrounding this particular story,” NBC told The Washington Post blogger Erik Wemple on Monday.

In the edited tape, which ran on NBC’s “Today” show March 27, Mr. Zimmerman tells a police dispatcher that the 17-year-old “looks like he’s up to no good. He looks black.”

NBC started investigating after Fox News and others noted that the audio recording, played in its entirety, reveals that Mr. Zimmerman’s “He looks black” comment was made after the dispatcher asked, “Is he black, white or Hispanic?” — a portion of the tape that NBC edited out.

(follow link for complete story)

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/apr/2/inside-politics-nbc-news-to-probe-misleading-edit-/

Not surprising, but who needs facts when you have frenchfry telling you how it really happened!!!
Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #117 on: April 02, 2012, 11:04:57 PM »

Not surprising, but who needs facts when you have frenchfry telling you how it really happened!!!
Oh yeah...gotta protect the right to carry those firearms....nevermind that an innocent person was gunned down.
Sanford police detective Chris Serino, unconvinced by Zimmerman's story of self-defense, wanted to charge him with manslaughter, but was overruled by the prosecutor.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/02/us-usa-florida-shooting-prosecutor-idUSBRE83116420120402

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

ussoccer26

• Hero Talker
« Reply #118 on: April 02, 2012, 11:07:21 PM »

Oh yeah...gotta protect the right to carry those firearms....nevermind that an innocent person was gunned down.

Never said the kid wasn't innocent, but hey you would know because you were there.
Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #119 on: April 02, 2012, 11:26:26 PM »

Florida’s now-infamous Stand Your Ground law, which lets you shoot someone you consider threatening without facing arrest, let alone prosecution, sounds crazy — and it is. And it’s tempting to dismiss this law as the work of ignorant yahoos. But similar laws have been pushed across the nation, not by ignorant yahoos but by big corporations.

Specifically, language virtually identical to Florida’s law is featured in a template supplied to legislators in other states by the American Legislative Exchange Council, a corporate-backed organization that has managed to keep a low profile even as it exerts vast influence (only recently, thanks to yeoman work by the Center for Media and Democracy, has a clear picture of ALEC’s activities emerged). And if there is any silver lining to Trayvon Martin’s killing, it is that it might finally place a spotlight on what ALEC is doing to our society — and our democracy.

What is ALEC? Despite claims that it’s nonpartisan, it’s very much a movement-conservative organization, funded by the usual suspects: the Kochs, Exxon Mobil, and so on. Unlike other such groups, however, it doesn’t just influence laws, it literally writes them, supplying fully drafted bills to state legislators. In Virginia, for example, more than 50 ALEC-written bills have been introduced, many almost word for word. And these bills often become law.

Many ALEC-drafted bills pursue standard conservative goals: union-busting, undermining environmental protection, tax breaks for corporations and the wealthy. ALEC seems, however, to have a special interest in privatization — that is, on turning the provision of public services, from schools to prisons, over to for-profit corporations. And some of the most prominent beneficiaries of privatization, such as the online education company K12 Inc. and the prison operator Corrections Corporation of America, are, not surprisingly, very much involved with the organization.

What this tells us, in turn, is that ALEC’s claim to stand for limited government and free markets is deeply misleading. To a large extent the organization seeks not limited government but privatized government, in which corporations get their profits from taxpayer dollars, dollars steered their way by friendly politicians. In short, ALEC isn’t so much about promoting free markets as it is about expanding crony capitalism.

And in case you were wondering, no, the kind of privatization ALEC promotes isn’t in the public interest; instead of success stories, what we’re getting is a series of scandals. Private charter schools, for example, appear to deliver a lot of profits but little in the way of educational achievement.

But where does the encouragement of vigilante (in)justice fit into this picture? In part it’s the same old story — the long-standing exploitation of public fears, especially those associated with racial tension, to promote a pro-corporate, pro-wealthy agenda. It’s neither an accident nor a surprise that the National Rifle Association and ALEC have been close allies all along.

And ALEC, even more than other movement-conservative organizations, is clearly playing a long game. Its legislative templates aren’t just about generating immediate benefits to the organization’s corporate sponsors; they’re about creating a political climate that will favor even more corporation-friendly legislation in the future.

Did I mention that ALEC has played a key role in promoting bills that make it hard for the poor and ethnic minorities to vote?

Yet that’s not all; you have to think about the interests of the penal-industrial complex — prison operators, bail-bond companies and more. (The American Bail Coalition has publicly described ALEC as its “life preserver.”) This complex has a financial stake in anything that sends more people into the courts and the prisons, whether it’s exaggerated fear of racial minorities or Arizona’s draconian immigration law, a law that followed an ALEC template almost verbatim.

Think about that: we seem to be turning into a country where crony capitalism doesn’t just waste taxpayer money but warps criminal justice, in which growing incarceration reflects not the need to protect law-abiding citizens but the profits corporations can reap from a larger prison population.

Now, ALEC isn’t single-handedly responsible for the corporatization of our political life; its influence is as much a symptom as a cause. But shining a light on ALEC and its supporters — a roster that includes many companies, from AT&T and Coca-Cola to UPS, that have so far managed to avoid being publicly associated with the hard-right agenda — is one good way to highlight what’s going on. And that kind of knowledge is what we need to start taking our country back.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/26/opinion/krugman-lobbyists-guns-and-money.html?_r=3

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 33   Go Up