MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Supreme Court OKs Routine Jailhouse Strip Searches

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Supreme Court OKs Routine Jailhouse Strip Searches  (Read 1036 times)

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
Supreme Court OKs Routine Jailhouse Strip Searches
« on: April 02, 2012, 11:07:57 PM »

Jailers may perform invasive strip searches on people arrested even for minor offenses, an ideologically divided Supreme Court ruled Monday, the conservative majority declaring that security trumps privacy in an often dangerous environment.

In a 5-4 decision, the court ruled against a New Jersey man who was strip searched in two county jails following his arrest on a warrant for an unpaid fine that he had, in reality, paid.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/high-court-upholds-jails-strip-searches-16054456#.T3ozKtVmPCY
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
John Stuart Mill

Willful ignorance, PaTROLLing, bullying, dishonesty, and hypocrisy are among the traits that are common amongst those that espouse the Republican/Conservative/Tea Party ideology.

A non-response doesn't mean you've won, it merely means the obnoxious, illiterate, right-wing morons have taken too much of my time already.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
Re: Supreme Court OKs Routine Jailhouse Strip Searches
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 12:56:17 PM »

In their latest hard-to-believe decision, the Supreme Court upheld strip searches for minor infractions including failure to pay parking tickets. The ruling applies even if officers do not believe a person is carrying weapons or contraband. With conservatives in the majority, the justices split five to four on the ruling, which covers every law, even the violation of leash laws. Dog walkers beware!

Liberty stripped: SCOTUS upholds strip searches for minor violations
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
John Stuart Mill

Willful ignorance, PaTROLLing, bullying, dishonesty, and hypocrisy are among the traits that are common amongst those that espouse the Republican/Conservative/Tea Party ideology.

A non-response doesn't mean you've won, it merely means the obnoxious, illiterate, right-wing morons have taken too much of my time already.

SMASH

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 09:20:02 PM »

OBEY

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 11:39:26 PM »

What would you have to hide?   
You see violation - I see security, 
Depends on if you are the searcher - or searchee
Hopefully they will incorporate the airline screening machines and negate the need for hands on searches.   
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 03:15:15 PM »

John Stuart Mill

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 08:17:03 AM »

First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 08:37:27 AM »

Surprises leap into view with new body scanner at Pasco jail

By Erin Sullivan, Times Staff Writer
 In Print: Thursday, March 15, 2012

[Pasco Sheriff’s Office]

Pasco jail authorities say a body scan of Peter Waechter reveals a sharp metal window punch hidden in one of his shoes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LAND O'LAKES — On Saturday morning, authorities say, Peter Waechter tried to bring a sharp metal tool into the Pasco County jail. In the past, deputies might not have found it. But now, because of the body scan machine at the jail, an X-ray image revealed the window punch tool, hidden under the padded insert of the car burglary suspect's shoe.

Inmates have smuggled some legendary things into the Pasco County jail over the years: a revolver, keys, cellphones, even an uncapped syringe. And lots of drugs. "They hide things everywhere," said Pasco sheriff's spokesman Kevin Doll.

So last October, the Pasco County Sheriff's Office installed the RadPRO SecurPASS body scanner, which it purchased for $195,000 in federal forfeiture funds. It became the first detention facility in the Tampa Bay area to have one, and the third in the state, behind the Federal Correctional Complex in Coleman and the Collier County jail.

Since then, deputies have found 15 people with drugs and paraphernalia squirreled away about their body, a knife and a set of keys, a shotgun shell and a tongue piercing.

The scanner, which looks like a white door frame, emits a low-dose X-ray and shows any contraband hidden on or inside a person. Suspects pass through the scanner prior to being booked into the jail, before a deputy has to do a hands-on search. Lt. Barbara Taylor said deputies previously had been pricked by drug needles and injured by other items found during pat downs. Now, those items are found before a deputy has to physically touch a suspect, so there aren't any surprises. "Why take that chance if you don't have to?" Taylor said.

Without expensive body scanners, other Tampa Bay jails rely on wand sweeps and pat downs of inmates entering the facilities.

"People hide things in the groin area under the assumption that detention deputies won't search that area as thoroughly," said Col. Jim Previtera, the commander for Hillsborough County's jails.

But they do, he said, and deputies have discovered drugs, cellphones, bullets, knives and — on rare occasions — guns. And while some items have slipped through the initial screening, Previtera said, detention deputies continue to search after inmates are booked, with the help of Bensha, a contraband-sniffing dog.

In Pinellas County, deputies conduct strip searches of inmates arrested on felony charges and misdemeanor drugs or weapons charges, sheriff's spokeswoman Marianne Pasha said. Any property an inmate is carrying is put into a bin and X-rayed. Pasha said Pinellas hasn't looked into body scanners. Previtera said the jail budget is too tight now for Hills­borough to consider one.

"If at some point we could locate the funding, anything that increases the safety and security of the facility would be welcomed," he said.

Gulfport resident Tiffany Harbison discovered this week how effective the scanners are.

The 22-year-old was arrested about 3 a.m. Sunday in the parking lot of Insomniacs Bar and Lounge on U.S. 19 in New Port Richey, after she nearly crashed into a deputy's cruiser, authorities said. As Harbison was entering the Land O'Lakes jail, the body scan image showed an object lodged in her abdomen.

A body cavity search yielded a rainbow-colored metal pill bottle with 21/2 bars of Xanax inside, the Pasco Sheriff's Office said.

"I totally forgot about it," Harbison told the Times on Wednesday, three days after being released from jail on charges of DUI, possession of controlled substances and possession of drug paraphernalia. She said the bottle wasn't hers. "I was holding it for a friend," she said, declining to explain further.

Harbison said she wasn't trying to sneak the bottle into the jail. Immediately after the scan, she said, she told the deputies about the bottle, apologized and handed it over.

"The scanner works," Harbison said. "Obviously."

Times staff writers Robbyn Mitchell and Alex Orlando contributed to this report.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/surprises-leap-into-view-with-new-body-scanner-at-pasco-jail/1220103
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

SMASH

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 09:34:06 PM »

What would you have to hide?   
You see violation - I see security,

Security from what?

Depends on if you are the searcher - or searchee
Hopefully they will incorporate the airline screening machines and negate the need for hands on searches.   

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 10:19:08 AM »

Smash - this is security from people who often hide stuff in precarious places.
Are you really an advocate that people can walk around with weapons and contraband into a jail intake?   

Doesn't happen all the time, but it only takes once for the security of the employees at intakes to be compromised.

They generally don't take you to jail intake for minor traffic violations as the granny video tries to imply.   
Don't violate the law for serious offenses or disregard paying minor traffic violation tickets and you won't have warrants out where you "May" have to go to jail...
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 12:43:49 PM »

Gee retired fireman H....I know you said you don't view YouTube videos because you haven't been able to hear 'em (which means you've been missing lots of relevant information) but the initial story said "In a 5-4 decision, the court ruled against a New Jersey man who was strip searched in two county jails following his arrest on a warrant for an unpaid fine that he had, in reality, paid."

Not sure if you truly understood that the man was not at fault for his arrest or maybe that doesn't matter to you.

Maybe you're more personally interested in the future employment possibilities of becoming a cheek-spreading inspector.  :P

Frisking would suffice but the truly paranoid could use the body scanner.
John Stuart Mill

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 01:24:22 PM »

"In a 5-4 decision, the court ruled against a New Jersey man who was strip searched in two county jails following his arrest on a warrant for an unpaid fine that he had, in reality, paid."

Not sure if you truly understood that the man was not at fault for his arrest or maybe that doesn't matter to you.

Maybe you're more personally interested in the future employment possibilities of becoming a cheek-spreading inspector.  :P
Seems to be an underlying theme you enjoy... 

Frisking would suffice but the truly paranoid could use the body scanner.

So according to the story an error occurred, but since we all aren't like you, we still have the underlying issue to resolve.

Wasn't the point of the case the legality of jail intakes security procedures?   
We can't prevent errors - we can prevent contraband and weapons in jails.

Gotcha down for one who prefers criminals rights over security... must be a reason  8*

Since you're interested in the Jobs I've had - I used to be a prison guard back in the 70's - Maximum Security Forensic Center in Ypsilanti.  (relocated now)
Very interesting job for 9 months - and one I'm glad I didn't stay in...
Those prisoners had more rights - because many were not guilty but insane (NGRI) or guilty but insane... 
It was also where many came from the jails to be evaluated to see if they were competent to stand trial.   
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 11:18:50 PM »

So according to the story an error occurred, but since we all aren't like you, we still have the underlying issue to resolve.

Wasn't the point of the case the legality of jail intakes security procedures?
No, it's a partisan issue and the right to mistreat at will...even to those there for clerical errors.

We can't prevent errors - we can prevent contraband and weapons in jails.
Frisking has sufficed 'til now.

Gotcha down for one who prefers criminals rights over security... must be a reason  8*
And you're for more intrusive government....strange how you righties claim to desire less government....until it comes to issues like this.

Since you're interested in the Jobs I've had - I used to be a prison guard back in the 70's - Maximum Security Forensic Center in Ypsilanti.  (relocated now)
Very interesting job for 9 months - and one I'm glad I didn't stay in...
Those prisoners had more rights - because many were not guilty but insane (NGRI) or guilty but insane... 
It was also where many came from the jails to be evaluated to see if they were competent to stand trial.
So according to you....they were ALL guilty.
That little closed mind of yours just doesn't seem to have room for the possibility of a wrongful conviction...but I digress....I got caught up in your quest to seek the limelight again...but don't blame me for people adding everything you provided into your dossier.

Whether or not you have a desire to peer into the orifice sometimes called the brown eye is none of my business...but to me the job would stink.  :P
John Stuart Mill

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 09:05:47 AM »

So according to you....they were ALL guilty.
That little closed mind of yours just doesn't seem to have room for the possibility of a wrongful conviction...
No - it makes no difference if guilty or not -
I admit that errors can be made, but if you go through "INTAKE" at a jail... something has to happen. 

Do you just trust that people are good, or do you your diligence and ensure that the workers and other detainees are safe from weapons/contraband...

Once you understand this point -
     instead of the bad law enforcement/system attitude
It may help.

They deal with "bad" people all the time and have set up a system for their safety and security.     
Not sure if you work, or if it involves anything dangerous - but safety is an important thing to most when they are at work!

Whether or not you have a desire to peer into the orifice sometimes called the brown eye is none of my business...but to me the job would stink.  :P

There you go with your disturbing references  8*  You seem to be fixated on them  - is there a particular reason?   
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 12:03:08 AM »

No - it makes no difference if guilty or not -
I admit that errors can be made, but if you go through "INTAKE" at a jail... something has to happen. 

Do you just trust that people are good, or do you your diligence and ensure that the workers and other detainees are safe from weapons/contraband...

Once you understand this point -
     instead of the bad law enforcement/system attitude
It may help.

They deal with "bad" people all the time and have set up a system for their safety and security.     
Not sure if you work, or if it involves anything dangerous - but safety is an important thing to most when they are at work!
There you go with your disturbing references  8*  You seem to be fixated on them  - is there a particular reason?   
Umm...you DO realize the story is about strip searches, don't you?

Getting an eyeful of Big Jim and the twins seems to be your overriding desire....or worse....you enjoy forcing people to do degrading things.

It's abuse of power.

Again...frisking is effective.....or scanning for the truly paranoid.

John Stuart Mill

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »

Umm...you DO realize the story is about strip searches, don't you?

It's abuse of power.

Again...frisking is effective.....or scanning for the truly paranoid.
Story was about an individual...

The ruling was about security of jails vs. the rights of those detained.

sighting an outlier as an example didn't sway the judges as they realized a mistake in that case was made - but it made no difference to the PROCESS...

You only see law enforcement as bad (from your experiences) - get over it and on the facts!

Do you have facts to support that jail intakes are never compromised by those being processed - if a pat down search is performed?

You are stuck on the one example - and missing the bigger picture - that the Supreme Court decided on.

Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up