MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Supreme Court OKs Routine Jailhouse Strip Searches

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Supreme Court OKs Routine Jailhouse Strip Searches  (Read 983 times)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Hypothesis: why does (someone) revert to potty mouth in replies?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2012, 10:38:15 AM »

Getting an eyeful of Big Jim and the twins...
Think you're being cute?
Might want to remember this is a public forum before you come out any more...

Is there a reason YOU are the ONLY ONE to post these types of replies?
Whether or not you have a desire to peer into the orifice sometimes called the brown eye is none of my business...

Maybe you're more personally interested in the future employment possibilities of becoming a cheek-spreading inspector.

(Hypothesis:  Fry losing the discussion on merit - reverts to childish potty mouth references)

3 in this thread alone...
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
Re: Supreme Court OKs Routine Jailhouse Strip Searches
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2012, 03:59:36 PM »

Story was about an individual...
Read the title. It's about more than one individual...although I'm not sure of your point.

The ruling was about security of jails vs. the rights of those detained.
While the ideologically divided court agreed with your premise, four of the nine didn't.

sighting an outlier as an example didn't sway the judges as they realized a mistake in that case was made - but it made no difference to the PROCESS...
Strip searches are atypical as far as I know....but I'm sure you've personally performed your share...which may explain why you've chosen such male dominated occupations.  ;)

You only see law enforcement as bad (from your experiences) - get over it and on the facts!
Again your statement simply isn't true. As I've said many times before, LE performs a valuable service to society.
Bad cops that consider themselves above the law are the ones I spotlight.
You, and people like you, cannot differentiate between good and bad, and therefore must support law enforcement no matter what...even at the cost of true justice. Of course your blind eye may be caused by cowardice.
Truth be told...I'm not fearless.....but on balance, justice must prevail.

Do you have facts to support that jail intakes are never compromised by those being processed - if a pat down search is performed?
Do you still beat your significant other? Of course I'm being facetious.
But that's the type of question you've just posed...it cannot be answered.

You are stuck on the one example - and missing the bigger picture - that the Supreme Court decided on.
And what hasn't been missed is the ideological divide of the Supreme Court.
The deck is stacked.
The system is corrupt.

Think you're being cute?
Might want to remember this is a public forum before you come out any more...

Is there a reason YOU are the ONLY ONE to post these types of replies?
(Hypothesis:  Fry losing the discussion on merit - reverts to childish potty mouth references)

3 in this thread alone...
As usual you're trying to derail the topic.
Don't follow me around if you don't like my colorful language.
In other words....KMA and quit whining....although you are nearing the age to revert back to diapers.
  ;)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 04:04:41 PM by Frenchfry »
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
John Stuart Mill

Willful ignorance, PaTROLLing, bullying, dishonesty, and hypocrisy are among the traits that are common amongst those that espouse the Republican/Conservative/Tea Party ideology.

A non-response doesn't mean you've won, it merely means the obnoxious, illiterate, right-wing morons have taken too much of my time already.

Monrover

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 03:55:32 PM »

Jailers may perform invasive strip searches on people arrested even for minor offenses, an ideologically divided Supreme Court ruled Monday, the conservative majority declaring that security trumps privacy in an often dangerous environment.

In a 5-4 decision, the court ruled against a New Jersey man who was strip searched in two county jails following his arrest on a warrant for an unpaid fine that he had, in reality, paid.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/high-court-upholds-jails-strip-searches-16054456#.T3ozKtVmPCY

The Court may have ruled in favor; however this is a tragic violation of the 4th Amendment.
Never argue with an idiot.
They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

“A government with the policy to rob Peter to pay Paul can be assured of the support of Paul”

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Baby Hitler

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 01:13:02 PM »

So why is this still a story if the Supremes have ruled it legal?

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/29/11939457-milwaukee-police-accused-of-performing-illegal-body-cavity-searches?lite
Strip searches, which Wisconsin state law defines as searching "a detained person's genitals, pubic area, buttock or anus, or a detained female person's breast," can only be performed by a doctor, physician's assistant or registered nurse.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 06:03:38 PM »

It's legal - just need to find out who can do it legally in Wisconsin I guess.
I can see it now - trip to the hospital for a drug search before bookings...

Not many jails can afford a full time RN.

Better look good in the back seat of the police cars if druggies are carrying in their butt crack...  that image will take a while to get rid of   8*
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 12:51:57 PM »

Milwaukee police accused of performing illegal body cavity searches

Seven officers and a supervisor at the Milwaukee police department have had their badges taken away after allegations surfaced that police have been conducting body cavity searches on suspects with no authority to do so.

Reports of officers arresting suspects then subjecting them to cavity searches first surfaced in local media in March. On Monday, after getting access to a police report, The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported that officers allegedly performed these searches on a routine basis.

One Milwaukee officer, Michael Vagnini, "had a reputation" for forcing suspects he believed had drugs in their body cavities to bend over for him, said defense attorney Alex Cossi, who handled a July 2011 case that alleges Vagnini searched his client and another suspect in the booking room.

"This was not a rogue happenstance. This was a tacit acceptance of strip searches without proper procedures or supervision," Cossi told The Journal Sentinel.

Vagnini found suspected cocaine "between (their) butt cheeks," the police report said.

Strip searches, which Wisconsin state law defines as searching "a detained person's genitals, pubic area, buttock or anus, or a detained female person's breast," can only be performed by a doctor, physician's assistant or registered nurse. The state law requires written permission before a strip search is conducted, unless there's probable cause to believe the suspect is hiding a weapon.

Cossi said his client was not provided with written documents before Vagnini performed the cavity search, which is a strip search involving penetration, on him. Because improper tactics were used to find the cocaine, the drug dealing charge against Cossi's client was thrown out, The Journal Sentinel reported.

It's not clear how many allegations of cavity searches the Police Department is facing.

"A number of people came forward so that we have many more complaints than we certainly started out with," Milwaukee police Chief Edward Flynn said at a news conference Wednesday on April 11. "Of those complaints, I'd say a significant majority of them are of a very similar nature, which indicates that we have more people to talk to than we initially had."

An improper strip search carries a maximum penalty of 90 days in jail and a fine of up to $1,000, according to Wisconsin law.

Vagnini, six other officers and a supervisor, Sgt. Jason Mucha, have had their badges and guns taken away while the department investigates the claims.

In March, an alleged victim came forward to speak to NBC's TMJ-4 to talk about his claim, which he said happened when he was only 15.

'They slammed me on the ground'
Kevin Freeman Jr. told TMJ-4 he and his friends were violated during a traffic stop in December.

"When they searched me they eased their hands right between my butt.  I tried to reach back and soon as I tried to reach back to stop them, they slammed me on the ground," Freeman said. 

It's illegal to conduct a body cavity search outside, where people other than the one conducting the search could see it taking place.

Milwaukee police spokeswoman Anne Schwartz told msnbc.com she could not comment on the matter since it was a pending investigation. Police chief Edward Flynn said in a news conference in March the cavity search complaints go back a couple of years. The department's internal investigation will determine whether searches violated department policy, state law, or both, The Journal Sentinel said.

Improperly conducted body searches can be construed under Wisconsin law as sexual assaults because of their invasive nature. It's not clear how much penetration allegedly occurred during the searches.

John Birdsall, a Milwaukee defense attorney, said that if the claims are true, police are abusing their authority.

"One thing is clear, if they're doing rectal searches in the field, that's just illegal," he told the Journal Sentinel. "Clothes or no clothes, you can't do a body cavity search. They don't have the authority to do that."

Milwaukee County prosecutors have launched a John Doe investigation, in which prosecutors can subpoena documents without public knowledge. The FBI and U.S. Attorney's Office are monitoring the investigation, The Journal Sentinel reported, and could launch an investigation.
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/29/11939457-milwaukee-police-accused-of-performing-illegal-body-cavity-searches?lite

Violating people during traffic stops isn't quite the same as a jailhouse search...clearly LE abused their authority....but the partisan (right-wing) Supreme Court was wrong in the first place.
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
John Stuart Mill

Willful ignorance, PaTROLLing, bullying, dishonesty, and hypocrisy are among the traits that are common amongst those that espouse the Republican/Conservative/Tea Party ideology.

A non-response doesn't mean you've won, it merely means the obnoxious, illiterate, right-wing morons have taken too much of my time already.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up