MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Hobbies & Arts > Writing

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Down

Author Topic: Writing  (Read 25378 times)

marilyn.monroe

• Hero Talker
Re: Writing
« Reply #180 on: August 20, 2012, 04:55:31 PM »

Eek.

:)

Baggins

• Hero Talker
« Reply #181 on: August 22, 2012, 10:18:32 AM »

Good stuff Bob, keep them coming... :)
"Praise not the day until evening has come,
 A sword until it is tried,
 A maiden until she is married,
 Ice until it has been crossed,
 Beer until it has been drunk!" - (Viking proverb)

ducksoup

• Hero Talker
« Reply #182 on: August 24, 2012, 04:55:04 PM »

Hey S&S  you ever get writers block? 

I do and don't at the same time.  I get writers block on one write, but can shift to another.  When I find I am blocked on one it has become clear to me that I went off track.  I have found that I have to go back and do a new outline either mental or on paper, or make notes about different possibilities.

I suppose you don't have that as much since you do mostly short stories.  I do long ones with main plot and sub plots, so might be different.
After one taste, you'll duck soup the rest of your life ... Groucho Marx.

ducksoup

• Hero Talker
« Reply #183 on: August 24, 2012, 04:59:52 PM »

I am doing a trilogy.  The first is at 80,000 words, the second 125,000.  I don't feel comfortable with the first one in length.  I am adding a new subplot to lengthen it considerably.  I stopped the third to go back to the first, but it is maybe 50,000 words so far.  Sadly, the new subplot will effect the second so changes will have to be made.

One thing I have learned is you dang well better love your characters and plot because you end up reading the dang thing 20 or 30 times. ugg.

LetsGoWings

• Hero Talker
« Reply #184 on: August 26, 2012, 10:45:59 PM »

I am doing a trilogy.  The first is at 80,000 words, the second 125,000.  I don't feel comfortable with the first one in length.  I am adding a new subplot to lengthen it considerably.  I stopped the third to go back to the first, but it is maybe 50,000 words so far.  Sadly, the new subplot will effect the second so changes will have to be made.

One thing I have learned is you dang well better love your characters and plot because you end up reading the dang thing 20 or 30 times. ugg.
Just read the story you posted a few months ago and it was great.

Just of out of curiosity, how many pages is the 120,000 word story? It seems like it would be a lot, but I am probably way overestimating it.

Also, how do you determine the names of your character? I have heard all different ways from people.
Great advice from another poster on this forum, we should all live by this:

"I'd advise against anyone contemplating sullying the reputation of any of the candidates without solid proof. "

ducksoup

• Hero Talker
« Reply #185 on: August 26, 2012, 11:24:37 PM »

Just read the story you posted a few months ago and it was great.

Just of out of curiosity, how many pages is the 120,000 word story? It seems like it would be a lot, but I am probably way overestimating it.

Also, how do you determine the names of your character? I have heard all different ways from people.
Thanks for the nice words.

I don't know how many pages that would be.  With writing it is counted as words because type font and size, as well as the paper size changes it all.  Typical novels are about 100,000 give or take.  78,000 is a bit small.  I want overage because I really do hope it can be published and will be chopped, which is usual.

Now that is a great question.  Some people have a really hard time with it.  I seem to be lucky and can make them up well.  I really don't know how I do it.  I have the character in mind and I just make a name that fits it.   Sometimes I make a name and it defines a character beyond what I thought, or a new direction for it. 

A main protagonist I made was one I had in mind.  I had a set character and made a name.  I called him Lord Von, which it evolved into a shortening of his real name from Erich Von Straumhurst.  No one but the reader knows the full name and it changed the character for the better, and added a cool subplot.  His name is what changed him from a written with words protagonist to a living breathing bad guy.

Sometimes lending a kind of ethnicity to a name can have an effect.  Having a name that sounds middle eastern gives an automatic flavor and is similar with other names. 

As I said I am adding a subplot, and a new major supporting character has emerged.  I haven't named him yet, but will likely have a far eastern flavor to the name. I don't know what that will be yet, but when I get a block of time and begin to write it, a name will just drop in place.  Then I will see if it adds to the character.

A long time ago I was writing a short story and made a main character's name Justin Joe King, but everyone called him Joe.  I know the name was a play on words for "just in joking," but a character emerged that was exciting.  I took that and made it about 80,000 words.  The main story was good, and the opening chapter is still big time killer good, but the writing is really lacking.  I have learned a lot since then.  (I wrote that original on a  Commodore 64) 

On creating characters:  Sometimes they evolve from the name and the context.  Sometimes I know what the character must do, and develop a character that can do it.  But, then there is my personal favorite when a character becomes so alive that it determines what it does.  When that happens it is the biggest rush one can experience.  Even Fuzzy couldn't catch up to my rush when it goes like that...  That is absolutely the best part about writing.  It doesn't balance the bad, but alas.  All the rewrites, editing... uggg.  You might have to live with the characters for years. 

I can do many things at once and often posting here is mostly afterthought.  When I write I need a good amount of time and solitude.  It takes time to immerse in the world of the characters and be able to interact with them.  Any interruption makes you leave that world and the process has to be repeated. 

Oh, an good music helps.  I use headphones to block out noises around me some.  Choice of music always effects the tone of writing.  An action packed story would probably be hard rock.  For the one I am working on my main song is Great White "Rock Me".  Sometimes I listen to Boston which works well, and Trans Siberian Orchestra, or even classical.  It depends on the tone of writing at a given time. 

Shortandscary

• Active Talker
  • Local horror writer
    • Tiny Terrors
« Reply #186 on: September 18, 2012, 01:55:05 PM »

I'll be participating in a reading by members of the Great Lakes Association of Horror Writers at the Monroe County Library System's Bedford branch on Wednesday, Oct 4, 7-9pm.  Stop by if you can!

http://calendar.monroe.lib.mi.us/evanced/lib/eventsignup.asp?ID=14000&rts&disptype=info&ret=eventcalendar.asp&pointer&returnToSearch&SignupType&num=0&ad&dt=mo&mo=10%2F1%2F2012&df=calendar&EventType=ALL&Lib=ALL&AgeGroup=ALL&LangType=0&WindowMode&noheader&lad&pub=1&nopub&page&pgdisp

marilyn.monroe

• Hero Talker
« Reply #187 on: October 04, 2012, 06:12:38 AM »

Tonight's the night!

Shortandscary

• Active Talker
  • Local horror writer
    • Tiny Terrors
« Reply #188 on: October 04, 2012, 05:23:15 PM »

Yes, indeed!  Should be fun.  It might be close to 8pm before I get there, but there are several wonderful writers scheduled to read.  Come out if you can!

Shortandscary

• Active Talker
  • Local horror writer
    • Tiny Terrors
« Reply #189 on: October 05, 2012, 04:25:14 PM »

Had a great time reading a couple of my stories at the Bedford branch of the Monroe County Library System last night with my colleagues from the Great Laks Association of Horror Writers!  Hope you havd a chance to come out! 

It was my first tiome back in the area since participating in a donkey basketball game at Bedford High School back in the late 1980's or early 90's, when I worked at Tower 98 (as Bob Blackwood).

Next stop - Writers on the River at the Ellis Reference branch, November 11th, noon-3.  Hope to see you there!

Bob

Shortandscary

• Active Talker
  • Local horror writer
    • Tiny Terrors
« Reply #190 on: November 07, 2012, 05:12:36 PM »

Hi, everyone!

Hope you can make it to the 14th annual Writers on the River event Sunday, Nov 11 at Ellis Library and Reference Center!

http://monroe.lib.mi.us/writers2012.htm

Bob

Shortandscary

• Active Talker
  • Local horror writer
    • Tiny Terrors
« Reply #191 on: May 15, 2013, 02:34:57 PM »

If you can make it out to Motor City Comic Con this weekend be sure to stop by and visit with the Great Lakes Association of Horror Writers.  I'll be there most of the day Friday.  We'll have copies of our latest anthology - "Erie Tales V - Dreadful Delusions" - for sale.  My short horror story "Danglers" is in the anthology.

If you're coming, I'd highly recommend getting advance tickets.  Otherwise the lines are usually enormous.

http://www.motorcitycomiccon.com/tickets/advance-tickets

Hope to see you there!

Bob

ducksoup

• Hero Talker
« Reply #192 on: March 30, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »

MIT open courses has some creative writing stuff.  Some things at MIT have videos of lectures, some not.  Those that don't have instructor outlines. 

For anyone, there is a huge big library of nifty stuff.
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/find-by-topic/#cat=humanities&subcat=literature&spec=creativewriting
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Up