MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Hobbies & Arts > Gardening

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 9263 times)

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
Re: Gardening
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2013, 05:33:46 PM »

Yeah, I could buy everything from farmer's markets (and I do buy a lot), but gardening is one of my passions. I just love growing stuff. I have plants all over my house, and spring fills me with joy and anticipation of playing in the dirt. So I don't mind the trouble, and I like to learn new techniques.

OK!

1 - Do you have any other passions that fill you with joy and anticipation
2 - Do you lay a blanket over the dirt, or just go right at it without one
3 - Learning new techniques......I best not expand on that any further
4 - Don't mind trouble, aye

Just 4 quick ones came to mind.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2013, 05:44:36 PM »

Corn requires good full direct sunlight too.  I'm not certain about the streetlight impact though.  I seem to recall a real hot parking spot in high school where there was a cornfield and a street light.

If I remember right you were probably pretty spiritual in your gardening back then...

spent all night plowing and planting and all day the next day praying for crop failure :o :o :o ;) ;) ;)
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2013, 07:39:19 PM »

LOL, had those sewn seeds the prison population of Southern Illinois would have been overcrowded by this point in time.  That was some pretty over fertilized soil with a lot of different chemicals during harvest season.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2013, 10:24:31 AM »

Well I sat with my Granddaughter and we planted 72 little pots in one of those pre-packaged seed things from Burpee...

It will be interesting to see if/what develops, from my mix of spices, flowers and ornamental grass...
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2013, 03:23:50 PM »

If I remember right you were probably pretty spiritual in your gardening back then...

spent all night plowing and planting and all day the next day praying for crop failure :o :o :o ;) ;) ;)
LOL, had those sewn seeds the prison population of Southern Illinois would have been overcrowded by this point in time.  That was some pretty over fertilized soil with a lot of different chemicals during harvest season.
This cracked me up. You boys....  ;D ;D ;D

Well I sat with my Granddaughter and we planted 72 little pots in one of those pre-packaged seed things from Burpee...

It will be interesting to see if/what develops, from my mix of spices, flowers and ornamental grass...
Such a fun thing to do with a kid! My parents had a vegetable garden when I was a kid, and I remember eating carrots straight out of the dirt and wiped on a shirttail and sweet peas off the vine with my dad. Hope you instill a love of gardening in your granddaughter. :)

Went to Lowe's and got some seed starting soil and potting soil. Looked at their seeds, but Burpee is expensive, especially when I start thinking that I can buy a flat of healthy seedlings for less than ten bucks at Parran's in a couple of months. Plus they had zero interesting tomato seeds. Came home with just cilantro seeds to see if it will grow in the AeroGarden.

I'll pot up the plastic 4- and 6-cell packs and flats I saved from last season with a mix of the potting soil and fluffy starter soil and plant the leftover tomato seeds from last year. Handsome has been on a kick of buying croissants for a few weeks, and I've been saving the clear plastic lids--they're perfect for a little 'greenhouse.' How Martha is that?! lol

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2013, 03:35:29 PM »

Sorry, hard to imagine Martha as a Moaner.   ;)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2013, 10:21:54 PM »

We did the Cilantro as well, that's when I learned those were called
Coriander -   Cilantro is the Spanish name of the same...

First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2013, 11:53:50 AM »

Well a few sprouts have started - and a few that must take longer, 
will be interesting to see how they develop the next few weeks
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2013, 12:13:29 PM »

Yea, a few of mine are as well.  They look like such healthy little "tomato" plants, can hardly wait to see them bud out.   ;)

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2013, 02:06:36 PM »

Funny you guys posted. I *just* finished planting my tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and a few others in the recycled flat I mentioned. The croissant domes fit pretty well and should cover all the seedlings to make a nice greenhouse for several weeks.

Sunny day + playing in dirt =  :)

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2013, 02:16:21 PM »

Looks like Handsome is in for a fine, long night.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2013, 06:51:26 AM »

Funny you guys posted. I *just* finished planting my tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and a few others in the recycled flat I mentioned. The croissant domes fit pretty well and should cover all the seedlings to make a nice greenhouse for several weeks.

Sunny day + playing in dirt =  :)

Related article:  http://www.mlive.com/weather/index.ssf/2013/03/with_memorial_day_about_three.html#incart_m-rpt-2

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2013, 08:39:47 AM »

I have two rows - one a flower and one ornamental grass that didn't germinate yet - may have to replant those with something else otherwise it appears I will have flowers and spices to replant in a few weeks. 
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2013, 10:17:58 PM »

Sometimes the seeds need a lot of heat to germinate. I'd wait a couple of weeks before replanting, and place the flat near a heat vent.

I am overrun with Genovese, lemon, and globe basil!!! The AeroGarden is an herb monster!! lol

Helloooo, pesto....

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2013, 09:59:15 AM »

I did read on the packet that some do take up to 20 days to germinate...  I guess I have to pay closer attention and plant similar germination times closer to each other...
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14   Go Up