MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Hobbies & Arts > Gardening

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 20989 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Gardening
« Reply #120 on: June 28, 2013, 11:57:22 AM »

My stuff had to survive rabid rabbits... but some is rejuvenating.

My Broccoli and zucchini are going well, as are the cabbage
(Must be a double letter thing)
Peppers, and tomatoes are behind a little and the green beans are starting to take off.

First garden in a few years and its in a sandy spot where a pool used to be years ago, so that will maybe make a difference as well.

Get a couple outside cats, that takes care of the rabbit issue and the cats deficate in the garden (large litter box) and it adds fertilizer..... ;D
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #121 on: June 28, 2013, 01:10:13 PM »

When does the wine making commence?

Do you use the barefoot method like the monks?

The stomping will be late August or September...   just depends on when things get ripe!

I never have done the 'foot stomping' method (we actually crush them with a hand made crusher from a piece of a 2x4) but if I had just the right applicant for the position I s'pose I'd consider it :o :o :o

I took a bunch of pictures one year...  I'll have to see if I can find them...  that was several computers ago though :-\ :-\ :-\
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2013, 03:21:42 PM »

The stomping will be late August or September...   just depends on when things get ripe!

I never have done the 'foot stomping' method (we actually crush them with a hand made crusher from a piece of a 2x4) but if I had just the right applicant for the position I s'pose I'd consider it :o :o :o

I took a bunch of pictures one year...  I'll have to see if I can find them...  that was several computers ago though :-\ :-\ :-\

Sorry - I'm not Catholic so I don't think I'm qualified for the Monks job..... ;D
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2013, 06:22:14 PM »

I'm guessing sandy soiled gardens are weathering the opposite of last years drought much better...

7+ inches in the past week
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2013, 07:00:51 PM »

Another disaster year for agriculture.... 
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2013, 09:11:51 PM »

Sorry - I'm not Catholic so I don't think I'm qualified for the Monks job..... ;D

Actually, it wasn't a monk I had in mind to help :o :o :o
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #126 on: June 28, 2013, 09:39:40 PM »

Was this what you had in mind?
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #127 on: June 28, 2013, 09:42:45 PM »

Was this what you had in mind?

It is absolutely amazing how some minds run on the same track ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #128 on: June 28, 2013, 10:10:46 PM »

Okay you talked me into trying the wine making stuff...

I'm told the tastings can be fun as well  ;D

First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #129 on: June 28, 2013, 10:24:56 PM »

Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #130 on: June 29, 2013, 07:01:12 PM »

It is absolutely amazing how some minds run on the same track ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D

Can I come over and supervise?
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #131 on: June 29, 2013, 09:27:46 PM »

Another disaster year for agriculture....

Thats fine, the Fed will bail them out......  aka:  Crop insurance.

Another year foir high priced hay.  With a little luck, I'll fill the barn (it's half full now) with nice hay to sell this winter for a good price.  Fingers crossed.

We round bailed 5.5 acres of timothy just before the monsoon, got 39 4x4's from 5.5 acres and sold them all for 45 bucks each.  Thats better than any row crop profit, hands down.

My clearspan will hold 3500 squares and 100 rounds.  At 6 bucks a square this winter, thats 18 grand before expenses, not counting the rounds.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #132 on: June 30, 2013, 08:19:38 AM »

We've survived the drought last year with over 80% yield,
now I'm looking at the potential issues with too much rain,
but so far no real stress issues,   good thing we invested in some good tiling a few years back!

Haven't had animals in a while on our farm - so I've never been involved in bailing or storage...   sounds like it could be a good year.   Do you sell it close by or out of state?
I had a friend who would haul it down south to sell, and never could figure out if it was worth it.
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2013, 11:18:24 AM »

We took a ride over to Petersburg late yesterday afternoon...   quite a few spots we saw some standing water but a lot more spots we saw where the corn and beans had drowned out in spots.  Then on the way home the skies opened up and we had a monsoon and there was water standing pretty much everywhere!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2013, 12:41:36 PM »

Can I come over and supervise?

No...  absolutely not!!!

There are only 2 girls and Fuzz has a very small barrel for them to do their work in so things are already going to be pretty snug ;) ;) ;)

The Fuzz and I may not be two of the smartest 'old dogs' around but I'm thinking we can figure this one out just fine without any supervision. 

Now...  if you want to bring an ambulance crew and just 'stand by' down at the corner I can see the possibility that one of those two girls may at some point need some medical attention :P :P :P

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14   Go Up