MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Parenting > Six-year-old suspended from school for harassment after quoting song

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Six-year-old suspended from school for harassment after quoting song  (Read 1787 times)

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker

AURORA, Colo. — A 6-year-old boy was suspended from his suburban Denver school for three days after school officials said he told a girl "I'm sexy and I know it," a line from a popular song.

D'Avonte Meadows, a first-grader at Sable Elementary School in Aurora, is accused of sexual harassment and disrupting other students, according to a letter the school district sent to his mother after he was sent home Wednesday.

School officials issued a statement saying they couldn't discuss the case, but they pointed out a school board policy that defines sexual harassment as any unwelcome sexual advance. There is no age limit.
http://www.whptv.com/news/local/story/Six-year-old-suspended-from-school-for-harassment/A7x75fkxCEipBJ4wbl94Ug.cspx
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Baggins

• Hero Talker

While I might think it's a bit excessive of a punishment...I do see the problem.

What does a 1st grader know about "sexy"...? 
"Praise not the day until evening has come,
 A sword until it is tried,
 A maiden until she is married,
 Ice until it has been crossed,
 Beer until it has been drunk!" - (Viking proverb)

Monique

• Hero Talker

I'm sure I'll sound like an old fuddy-duddy, but I'm often shocked at what kinds of music people allow their young children to hear. Same with TV shows, videos, and movies. I want my kids to be KIDS for as long as possible!

Now, granted, my kids *have* heard the song in question, but it was the version done by Jimmy Fallon and Bruce Springsteen! I've never heard the original--the funny one is too good!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

While I might think it's a bit excessive of a punishment...I do see the problem.

What does a 1st grader know about "sexy"...?

Probably not a thing... 

but he's heard that song played many, many times and he knows how to repeat what he's heard :( :( :(

I still see a lot of that right here on MT...  people repeating what they've heard without having the slightest idea of what it means ;) ;) ;)
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Baggins

• Hero Talker

Probably not a thing... 

but he's heard that song played many, many times and he knows how to repeat what he's heard :( :( :(

I still see a lot of that right here on MT...  people repeating what they've heard without having the slightest idea of what it means ;) ;) ;)

;D

How true... 8*

"Praise not the day until evening has come,
 A sword until it is tried,
 A maiden until she is married,
 Ice until it has been crossed,
 Beer until it has been drunk!" - (Viking proverb)

marilyn.monroe

• Hero Talker

Public schools are getting more like jail. Here we have one school going to extremes while other schools let tormentors run loose.

AtypicalGirl

• Hero Talker
  • My handsome boy! :)

I'm sure I'll sound like an old fuddy-duddy, but I'm often shocked at what kinds of music people allow their young children to hear. Same with TV shows, videos, and movies. I want my kids to be KIDS for as long as possible!

I agree with that to a point. I want ALL kids to be kids as long as possible, too! But there's only so much you can 'shelter' them from because of how the world is today.

This particular song is nothing bad, IMO, especially the "radio edit" version. Does a six-year-old understand it? Probably not. That's what makes this so innocent! As adults, how many times have we laughed at what kids say? Hell, Bill Cosby even had the show "Kids Say The Darndest Things!" Those kids didn't know why we laughed at what they said, because they didn't understand the meaning behind the words coming out of their mouths. And the same goes for this kid. He most likely doesn't know what it means to be "sexy" but he's heard the word, and he was just singing the song.

At the beginning of one of the shows, the woman even says "there's nothing quite like a child's imagination..." and I agree. Yes, we should teach our children right from wrong. I'm not condoning a child going to school and acting out what they may have seen in a horror film or using the F bomb because they heard someone say it. I'm simply saying that children need to be taught. 

Below is a clip from Art Linkletter when he would interview kids at the end of his show "House Party." Some of you may remember it from when it originally aired, but I only remember it from "re-runs" like how Bill Cosby did here... LOL! In this particular clip, he asked a girl what she wanted to be when she grew up and she answered a movie star. He asked her what movie stars do and she proceeded to tell him. At the end of a movie star's day, she said the movie star goes to bed with another movie star. Did she mean that sexually?? Probably not! But it was funny to everyone (including me) when she said it! Another kid answered one of Art's questions about which fairytale person would you be. The boy answered papa bear because he could eat all of the honey and goldie locks would be sleeping in his bed!  ;D

title, Kids Say the Darndest Things - ART LINKLETTER

Kids do say the darndest things, and I don't believe that this boy meant any harm by singing a song... but again, that's just my opinion. :)

marilyn.monroe

• Hero Talker

I guess language has degraded so much sexy, like other words, just doesn't mean what it used too. Buzz word trend "smexy" smart and sexy. People have sex, kids have sex. Not talking about it in a meaningful way won't help. Little kids can pick up all kinds of things from the older kids on the bus as well as at home.

Deanna

• Hero Talker
Re: Six-year-old suspended from school for harassment after quoting song
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 11:51:23 PM »

That M&M commercial cracks me up.  "So it's that kind of party...I'm sexy and I know it!"  As an adult it is hilarious but really for a candy that kids eat I think they should have used better judgement
M&M "Sexy and I Know It" Super Bowl Commercial 2012
I'd rather be by myself than in bad company
Pages: [1]   Go Up