MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Monroe History > Monroe County History: Lighthouses along Lake Erie's western end

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Monroe County History: Lighthouses along Lake Erie's western end  (Read 3908 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

I've been interested in lighthouses even longer than I've been looking at railroad and interurban history.  I have several miniature lighthouses and even a few little wooden ones from Lake Erie that are refrigerator magnets.

This website has some info although, like many things historic, I'm not 100% sure it's all accurate.  I like to have at least 2 verifiable sources but of course that isn't always practical.

I know there was a lighthouse on Turtle Island down near Toledo...  the island is actually on the state line.  There are some remains of that lighthouse still there.  I have some old photos I took if I can find them.

Then this article mentions the original light for Laplaisance Bay...  it talks about this being the original location where the River Raisin entered Lake Erie before it was diverted to where it is now.

Then there was the light at "The Piers" which we've already seen in the Interurban through downtown Monroe thread.

There was also a lighthouse at the very south end of Grosse Ile at the entrance to the Detroit River...  I suppose technically that isn't Monroe County.

http://www.lhdigest.com/digest/StoryPage.cfm?StoryKey=909
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Baggins

• Hero Talker
Re: Monroe County History: Lighthouses along Lake Erie's western end
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 11:38:45 AM »

I knew Michigan was a lighthouse gold mine, but I didn't know there were so many just in Monroe county...
"Praise not the day until evening has come,
 A sword until it is tried,
 A maiden until she is married,
 Ice until it has been crossed,
 Beer until it has been drunk!" - (Viking proverb)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 11:52:28 AM »

I knew Michigan was a lighthouse gold mine, but I didn't know there were so many just in Monroe county...

And I'm thinking there were some more that haven't even been mentioned...

I wasn't aware there was one at the end of Lighthouse Road although I'd always wondered why it was named as such...

Here's an aerial view of that part of the beach and you can scroll out and just see where the lighthouse probably was...

I put this in the category of "the things I knew but didn't know I knew" :o :o :o

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=41.858898,-83.390664&spn=0.000816,0.001742&hnear=La+Salle,+Monroe,+Michigan&t=h&z=20

Baggins

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 11:58:09 AM »

Thanks for posting this BRD, that was very interesting about the diverting of the river...I never knew.

Something to take note of when thinking about the battle that took place here, the river would have been so different from what it is now...I want to see an old map of the time.  Wonder if the musem would have one dating back that far...Pre 1830's

"Praise not the day until evening has come,
 A sword until it is tried,
 A maiden until she is married,
 Ice until it has been crossed,
 Beer until it has been drunk!" - (Viking proverb)

monroemuskrat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 09:21:31 PM »

As a small child I remember seeing remains of a lighthouse at Bolles Harbor.  Turtle Island is in Michigan and the first lighthouse keeper was Samuel Day Choate who was appointed in 1830 and, also, happened to be the first supervisor of Monroe Township.  His grandson Charles went on to form the Erie Coal and Ice Company, later to be known as the Erie Coal and Oil Company.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 10:07:11 PM »

Here are some really high resolution photos of the lighthouse located at the Monroe Piers. 

All info and photos from:  http://www.uscg.mil/history/weblighthouses/lhmi.asp

Also some of the specifications for the lighthouse:

MONROE PIERHEAD LIGHT

Location: On a crib at the outer end of the north pier at the entrance to the ship canal leading to the Raisin River, westerly shore of Lake Erie, Michigan, and about 1-1/2 miles to the northward of the mouth of the river.
    Station Established: 1849
    Year Latest Tower First Lit: 1884
    Operational: No
    Automated: N/A
    Deactivated: 1916
    Foundation Materials: Stone pier
    Construction Materials: Wood, corrugated iron
    Tower Shape: Conical
    Markings/Pattern: White, conical tower surmounted by a black lantern; brown, corrugated iron fog-signal house; on hexagonal stone pier
    Characteristic: Fixed red
    Relationship to Other Structure: Integral
    Original Lens: 4th Order
    Foghorn: Yes; 10-inch steam whistle; blasts 5 seconds, silent intervals 25 seconds

Photographs:

Monroe Pierhead Light, circa 1911: (75 dpi) ; (300 dpi); Original caption: "MONROE, MICHIGAN [;] NINTH NAVAL DISTRICT (CLEVELAND)"; photo dated June, 1911; Photo Number 81; photographer unknown.

Monroe Pierhead Light, circa 1911: (75 dpi) ; (300 dpi); Original caption: "MONROE, MICHIGAN [;] NINTH NAVAL DISTRICT (CLEVELAND) [;] Looking W 400 ft.."; photo dated June, 1911; Photo Number 80; photographer unknown.

Monroe Pierhead Light, circa 1911: (75 dpi) ; (300 dpi); Original caption: "MONROE, MICHIGAN [;] NINTH NAVAL DISTRICT (CLEVELAND) [;] Looking S 200 ft."; photo dated June, 1911; Photo Number 83; photographer unknown.

I will post the photos in the order they are mentioned above:

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 10:21:36 PM »

As a small child I remember seeing remains of a lighthouse at Bolles Harbor.  Turtle Island is in Michigan and the first lighthouse keeper was Samuel Day Choate who was appointed in 1830 and, also, happened to be the first supervisor of Monroe Township.  His grandson Charles went on to form the Erie Coal and Ice Company, later to be known as the Erie Coal and Oil Company.

Here's a YouTube video of the Turtle Island Lighthouse.  It was uploaded in October of 2010 and it looks like the video and some of the photos were showing some fall colors so I'm guessing that is about when the photos and video were take too.  It also has some vintage photos I've never seen before:

Turtle Island Light

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 10:27:35 PM »

This site has some awesome aerial photos taken in 2000 it looks like.  The island actually straddles the state line although the lighthouse is in Michigan and Monroe county.  At the time the photos were taken someone was trying to build a bed and breakfast or some kind of resort on the island (it has been privately owned for many, many years).  They apparently were trying to build without getting permits, etc. from Erie Township and the Monroe County Health Department.  I can see where water and septic were going to be a problem 8* 8* 8*  Anyway, it looks like between 2000 and 2010 the building project ended.  I do know at one time it was heading for court 8* 8* 8*

http://www.aerialpics.com/I/turtleI.html

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 10:32:52 PM »

Here are a couple of articles from The Blade with some great photos (click on them to make them larger). Lots of details.  One picture even shows the ice destroying the house in 2009...  guess I should have read this article first ;) ;) ;)

http://www.toledoblade.com/gallery/Turtle-Lighthouse

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2011/02/21/Historic-Lake-Erie-lighthouse-in-danger-from-years-of-neglect.html
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 10:45:00 PM by BigRedDog »

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 10:36:23 PM »

Here are a couple of more YouTubes from the same person that did the Turtle Island Lighthouse video...  one is a Christmas video and both are on the Toledo Harbor Light...   it's not in Michigan but it's close by ;) ;) ;)  It's a historic and unique light too.

A Toledo Harbor Light Christmas

Toledo Harbor Lighthouse
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 10:40:03 PM by BigRedDog »

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 09:02:29 AM »

Here are some more articles on Turtle Island and the lighthouse there.  I wish there was as much info available on the other lighthouses that WERE in the area...   I guess once they're gone it's harder to find info ;) ;) ;)

They refer in this article to it being Turtle Island, Ohio...  but it is for sure partially in Erie Township, Monroe County, Michigan...   

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=271

And here's the "always subject to change" Wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_Island_%28Lake_Erie%29

This site sells some very nice paintings of the lighthouse and it looks like they've done a pretty thorough study of the history.  I'll have to read it through in more detail and compare to what I already have. 

If anyone wants to buy me a birthday present one of these paintings would be nice 8) 8) 8)

http://www.captain-johns.com/Ohio/Turtle.html

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 09:15:26 AM »

If you just enjoy lighthouses and their history, here's a list of lights throughout Michigan:

http://www.michiganlights.com/lightlist.htm

I've been to many of them on Lake Huron and Lake Superior and of course what there is left of them in our area of Lake Erie.  It is nice to see people making an effort to save them from further deterioration and restoring them when possible.

If you're just out for a boat cruise and start up the Detroit River there were several there too...

There was at least one set of range lights on the north end of Grosse Ile for southbound boat traffic...  one on the riverfront has been restored and you can actually visit it and get a tour I've read.  Over the years there have been a total of four with only the one left.

And just across the river in Canada there was (I'm not sure what is left of it) one on Boblo Island (the American name for the island) and there is one at the very southern end of Bois Blanc Island (yes, there is also a Bois Blanc Island in Michigan too)...   not sure if this is the site of the historic one or not...   haven't done much research on it yet.

And there's a modern light out in Lake Erie at the mouth of the Detroit River too...   but hardly worth the trip (unless it's foggy out and you need to find shelter) ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:17:06 AM by BigRedDog »

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 10:36:31 AM »

A nice website on the Lake Erie lighthouses in Monroe County. 

http://www.lighthousedigest.com/digest/StoryPage.cfm?StoryKey=909

Here's a photo I don't recall seeing of the '2nd' lighthouse which sounds like it would have been at the 'original' mouth of the River Raisin before the government 'ship canal' was cut into where the river runs out  to the lake now.

They credit the photo from the Michigan State Archives on their website:

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 11:23:38 AM »

Another blog with references to the Lake Erie lighthouses in our area:

http://author-historian.blogspot.com/p/monroe-harbor-lighthouse-lake-erie.html

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 11:30:43 AM »

That was some good stuff BRD!

Did you catch the various construction costs for the times?  Amazing.
Support the local economy as much as possible!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up