MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Monroe History > History of Fire Departments in Monroe

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: History of Fire Departments in Monroe  (Read 3593 times)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
History of Fire Departments in Monroe
« on: May 21, 2012, 08:23:56 AM »

I figured I'd start this one as I've been reviewing some of my old materials for the City of Monroe.

There are many other departments in the County that generally have more recent start dates, as once the "gas" engines became operational and communities started forming and saw the need for fire protection they banded together to form as Volunteer Fire Companies. 

I will upload some pictures and information when I'm back at my home computer.
Hopefully those from various area departments can do the same.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
Re: History of Fire Departments in Monroe
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 07:42:32 AM »

This should be an interesting one too...   it wasn't even that many years ago that fire departments didn't run EMS calls...   If you needed an ambulance you called your favorite funeral home and they would transport you to the hospital...   and I guess if you didn't survive then they would transport you to the funeral home...   seems like a conflict of interest to me but that's the way they did things then.

My dad grew up near St. Louis, Michigan.  In that area (between the World Wars) they had a "subscription" fire service.  This was for people that were outside the city limits itself.  If you had paid your annual subscription the department would respond to a fire at your home or farm or business, but if you hadn't paid they did not respond or if your neighbor had paid they might show up and protect the exposure on their home. 

We had some discussion a couple of years ago on here when that scenario happened somewhere south of here.

I know LaSalle just had their 50th anniversary not too many years ago and there was still at least one of the original firefighters there.  He has since passed.  I'm thinking LaSalle was probably one of the later townships in the area to organize a department.  LaSalle has almost no business or industrial exposure (or tax base). 
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Monroe Fire Department formal recognition 1842
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 09:37:22 AM »

Monroe Fire Department has been in Service since the earliest days (City of Monroe Established 1817) and I'm sure access to earlier records and more research could tell of earlier activities.  Some records indicate 1837 is when they formed, and back then most of the services were from neighbors and a bucket brigade. 

What I did find so far was the Earliest formal recognition by the City:
August 27, 1842  - page 95 of Common Council Minutes

(discusses the establishment and recognition of Protection Fire Engine Company no. ! of the City of Monroe,  install officers, set up by-laws, and membership of department,  annual payment of $50 after collection of any fines or penalties.)
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Germania Fire Company 1 1863 (Monroe Fire)
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 10:34:31 AM »

1863 Constitution and by-laws of Germania Fire Company No. 1 

Translation file attached in pdf

This Station was located on Washington Street and shared a building with the Police and City Hall.
It was a few places down from the Monroe Bank and Trust (bank) building.   Pictures and notes from the historical society are posted on this site - located in the current City Hall lobby.

1863 Photo of Germania No. 1

This picture was also published in one of the early papers with the caption:
Picture lent to the County Visitor by Mrs. Mary Kressbach of 311 Smith Street who belives it to be a pictgure of Monroe's first fire-fighting unit.  The picture has two dates 1856 and 1863.  The picture was taken by Bowlsby Artists on Washington Street in front of the old City Hall building.  The Sedlacek Tobacco and Winery Store is at the left.  Just north of the tobacco and winery store was Boehme Rope Walk where rope was manufactured.  The City Hall is believed to be on the third floor of the building in front which the picture was taken.  Persons in the picture are identified as Freidenbert, Hermes, Christian Beck, Kremeri, Westerman, Enzer, Kreuchauf, and Beirlein.  Others are not identified, with the exception of a boy standing behind the truck at the right center of the picture who name is sasid to have been Acker.   Last line of caption was not readable...
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 03:58:39 PM »

This picture shows the "uniform" of the era in the 1800's. 
They placed a great deal of pride in them.

Germania #2 Station was at 110 W. Front Street (now a vacant lot)
This latter served as the Central Fire Station until 1969 when it moved to 75 Scott Street

Here it is in 1906

Not sure of the date - but I believe it fits here:

Here it is in the 1965
Most likely the Christmas Parade - as Santa is on the Ladder.   I remember the Deering's Music sign being there forever it seems...

Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 07:24:08 PM »

Here's a picture of the former fire station at 914 E. First.  It is in private ownership at this time per city tax records.  Maybe some of our current or former city firefighters have info on dates, etc.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 08:32:51 AM »

I believe we talked about this roof rescue here on MT...  maybe in the Hoffman's sign coming down thread!

Anyway...  pictures are in an MEN 'protected' gallery...  can't copy and paste them but here are links to the pictures that tell the story! 

http://monroenews.smugmug.com/Other/Special-Orders/22801453_BJtXbz#!i=1954971058&k=NKjjxgf

http://monroenews.smugmug.com/Other/Special-Orders/22801453_BJtXbz#!i=1954970921&k=WpMVf6W

http://monroenews.smugmug.com/Other/Special-Orders/22801453_BJtXbz#!i=1954970920&k=LVcFJft

http://monroenews.smugmug.com/Other/Special-Orders/22801453_BJtXbz#!i=1954970907&k=vWM7RCh

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 08:35:59 AM »

Here's a very unique photo...   well, at least the link to it!

It shows the Ida Fire Department station... their restored firetruck and some of their longest serving living and deceased members!

http://monroenews.smugmug.com/Other/Special-Orders/22801453_BJtXbz#!i=1954411055&k=htPxkTc&lb=1&s=M

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 08:03:39 AM »

Now you can get a pretty good look at the former 'east side' fire station on First street across from the new Salvation Army main campus.

I didn't realize how old the building really was...  looks like they put a 'new' facade on to update the looks.  I also didn't realize it had a hose drying tower on the back.  That building was really tucked in behind the much more overwhelming MAECO building so close to it!

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 09:55:55 PM »

I drove out that way a few days ago and I believe it was the first time I really noticed the old fire station there. 
Support the local economy as much as possible!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 08:32:30 AM »

I drove out that way a few days ago and I believe it was the first time I really noticed the old fire station there.

The MAECO building was sitting clear out to the sidewalk and then the fire station was back away from the street plus all those trees at the home to the west are kind of overwhelming the fire station building. 

I'm not sure where the info got posted but Mav pointed out that this building is on the county delinquent tax sale list so someone could end up with a real steal!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 10:40:17 AM »

This was always one of my favorite pictures of that station...  taken in 1947.

Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 11:53:06 AM »

This was always one of my favorite pictures of that station...  taken in 1947.

You really have to know who your friends are if you're the jumper ;) ;) ;)

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 01:09:52 PM »

I bet one or more of them were stoned.....that was about the time period of Refer Madness.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »

This was the east side station in 1922,  I think the same location - but the front is different, may be why it appears to have been redone in the later pics from the side...

Bigger equipment needed bigger doors?   
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up