1863 Constitution and by-laws of Germania Fire Company No. 1
Translation file attached in pdf
This Station was located on Washington Street and shared a building with the Police and City Hall.
It was a few places down from the Monroe Bank and Trust (bank) building. Pictures and notes from the historical society are posted on this site - located in the current City Hall lobby.
1863 Photo of Germania No. 1
This picture was also published in one of the early papers with the caption:
Picture lent to the County Visitor by Mrs. Mary Kressbach of 311 Smith Street who belives it to be a pictgure of Monroe's first fire-fighting unit. The picture has two dates 1856 and 1863. The picture was taken by Bowlsby Artists on Washington Street in front of the old City Hall building. The Sedlacek Tobacco and Winery Store is at the left. Just north of the tobacco and winery store was Boehme Rope Walk where rope was manufactured. The City Hall is believed to be on the third floor of the building in front which the picture was taken. Persons in the picture are identified as Freidenbert, Hermes, Christian Beck, Kremeri, Westerman, Enzer, Kreuchauf, and Beirlein. Others are not identified, with the exception of a boy standing behind the truck at the right center of the picture who name is sasid to have been Acker. Last line of caption was not readable...