MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Health > Health news

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31   Go Down

Author Topic: Health news  (Read 30364 times)

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
Health news
« on: June 21, 2012, 10:29:33 AM »

HIV Cure?

"Top AIDS scientists are scratching their heads about new data from the most famous HIV patient in the world — at least to people in the AIDS community.

Timothy Ray Brown, known as the Berlin patient, is thought to be the first patient ever to be cured of HIV infection.

Brown, 45, had two bone marrow transplants in Berlin in 2007 and 2008 to treat leukemia that is apparently unrelated to his HIV infection. The blood cells for the transplants came from a donor with a genetic mutation that makes his cells immune to HIV...".* Some claim pharmaceutical companies don't want to invest in cures because they can profit more from ongoing treatments.

HIV Cure?
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
Re: Health news
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 12:50:35 PM »

Heart Attacks Can Cause PTSD

Heart Attacks Can Cause PTSD

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Edited to add:

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 02:09:52 PM »

John Hopkins Study Says Antibacterial Products Fueling Children's Allergy Epidemic

John Hopkins Study Says Antibacterial Products Fueling Children's Allergy Epidemic

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 03:06:18 PM »

Coffee May Reduce the Risk of Heart Failure

Hey java drinkers, that coffee buzz you love so much may also help prevent heart failure, according to a new study published in the American Heart Association's journal Circulation Heart Failure.

While many believe coffee drinking may be dangerous to the heart, researchers at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston said moderate consumption of your daily jo could be beneficial.

The scientists analyzed five prospective studies, which included more than 140,000 men and women, that related to coffee consumption and heart risk. Four of the studies were based in Sweden, and one was conducted in Finland. They found that those who drank a moderate amount of coffee daily, defined as the equivalent of two 8-ounce American cups per day, may experience protective benefits against heart failure by as much as 11 percent.

The scientists didn't account for the strength of the coffee, but the drink tends to be made weaker in the U.S. than in Europe. They also didn't account for caffeinated versus decaffeinated coffee, though most people in Northern Europe consume a caffeinated form of the beverage.

Low levels of coffee consumption were not associated with a positive or negative effect on heart failure risk, but more than four to five cups of regular coffee consumption were associated with a higher risk.

Read more here:
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/coffee-reduce-heart-failure-risk/story?id=16652479#.T-tZQvWDmSp

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 09:43:35 PM »

Vaccine May Block the Effect of Nicotine
Doctors May One Day Harness the Immune System to Help People Quit Smoking

June 27, 2012 -- Scientists say they've developed a vaccine that may one day protect people against the addictive effects of nicotine -- but for now they have to settle for some success in mice.

The vaccine uses the shell of a harmless virus that, much like the Trojan horse, carries into cells genetic instructions for making an antibody against nicotine. When cells are "infected" by the virus, they get tricked into churning out a protein that blocks nicotine's biological effects.

"It's sort of like having Pac-Man floating around in the blood. [The antibodies] bind to the nicotine and prevent it from reaching its receptors in the brain," says Ronald G. Crystal, MD, chairman and professor of genetic medicine at Weill Cornell Medical College in New York City.

Researchers have tried to vaccinate people against nicotine before -- by directly injecting antibodies into the blood. The problem is that the antibodies disappear after only a few weeks, and the studies ultimately had disappointing results.

This time, researchers say they may have found a way to get the body to keep making more.

Read more here:
http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/news/20120627/vaccine-blocks-effect-of-nicotine

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 03:59:38 PM »

New ONE Pill A Day HIV Treatment

New ONE Pill A Day HIV Treatment

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 11:53:26 AM »

Intravenous Oxygen Injection For Patients Who Cannot Breathe
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/247295.php

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 02:25:53 AM »

*"Exposure to bisphenol A may be a risk factor for a common type of brain tumor called meningioma, reports a study from China. This is the first study to suggest a link between brain cancer and the chemical, which is widely used in consumer products."

BPA Linked To Brain Cancer

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 06:14:22 PM »

Injuries from Ingestion of Wire Bristles from Grill-Cleaning Brushes

Foreign object ingestion is a common reason for visiting an emergency department (ED), particularly for children (1–3). In recent years, internal injuries have been reported following unintentional ingestions of wire grill-cleaning brush bristles by both children and adults (4–6). A series of six cases from a single hospital system with two EDs during July 2009–November 2010 was reported previously (4). This report describes a series of six more cases identified at the same hospital system during March 2011–June 2012. The six patients ranged in age from 31 to 64 years; five were men. Like the patients in the previous series (4), all six reported outdoor residential food grilling and use of commercially available wire grill-cleaning brushes. The severity of injury ranged from puncture of the soft tissues of the neck, causing severe pain on swallowing, to perforation of the gastrointestinal tract requiring emergent surgery. Awareness of this potential injury among health-care professionals is critical to facilitate timely diagnosis and treatment. Additionally, awareness among the public, manufacturers who make wire grill-cleaning brushes, and retailers who sell these products can reduce exposures and decrease the likelihood of further occurrences. Before cooking, persons should examine the grill surface carefully for the presence of bristles that might have dislodged from the grill brush and could embed in cooked food. Alternative residential grill-cleaning methods or products might be considered.

The first of the six most recent cases was identified on March 14, 2011, and the latest on June 3, 2012. Medical staff members continue to conduct surveillance for additional cases of injury from ingested wire grill-cleaning brush bristles treated in the hospital system.

Case Reports

A man aged 50 years arrived at the ED with abdominal pain that had begun after eating steak at a backyard barbeque. Computed tomography (CT) scan of the abdomen and pelvis revealed a linear object extending through the wall of a loop of small intestine into the omentum (Figure). Laparotomy was performed to remove the foreign body, which appeared to be a wire bristle from a grill-cleaning brush. The patient fully recovered and was discharged the next day.

Five more patients visited the ED during August 2011–June 2012 after inadvertent ingestion of a wire bristle that had become dislodged from a grill-cleaning brush and embedded in food. In all of the cases, the bristles were initially identified by radiographs of the neck or CT scans of the abdomen and pelvis, and their origin was confirmed after removal (Table). Patient interviews revealed a common history of recent ingestion of grilled meat. After definitive treatment, all six patients recovered fully.

Severe pain on swallowing was the chief symptom in three of the six patients. In all three of these patients, a wire bristle from a grill-cleaning brush was found in the neck. The three included a woman aged 46 years and two men aged 50 and 64 years (Table). The three initially were evaluated with plain radiography, which identified the foreign object in each patient. One who was initially evaluated with plain radiography then underwent CT for precise localization. All three were treated successfully with laryngoscopic removal of the wire bristle.

Severe abdominal pain was the chief symptom of the other patients, who were three men aged 31, 35, and 50 years (Table). These patients were evaluated primarily with intravenous contrast-enhanced CT of the abdomen and pelvis. In two patients, the wire bristle was noted lodged within the omentum adjacent to a loop of small intestine. In one patient, the wire bristle was located within the sigmoid colon, indenting the bladder. Two patients underwent emergency abdominal surgery to retrieve the foreign object and repair the intestine. In one patient, the wire had not perforated the intestine and was removed via colonoscopy.

Foreign object ingestion resulted in approximately 80,000 ED visits in 2010 (1); the vast majority occurred in children (1,2). Serious morbidity from foreign object ingestion occurs in <1% of ED cases (3). Prior to 2012, two case reports described perforation of the upper gastrointestinal tract secondary to ingestion of a wire bristle from a grill-cleaning brush. In both patients, perforation resulted in abscess formation, one in a sublingual and one in a paraesophageal location (5,6). This report, like an earlier report from the same hospital system (4), suggests that such incidents might be more common than previously suspected. The continued occurrence of injuries from ingested wire bristles warrants further investigation and action.

Actions to prevent these injuries include increasing awareness among consumers, manufacturers, retailers, and medical professionals to promote prevention, timely diagnosis, and appropriate treatment. Additionally, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) currently is reviewing available grill-cleaning brush–related injury data to determine if an identifiable pattern of product defect could pose an unreasonable risk for injury or death, necessitating a consumer warning, product recall, or other regulatory action.

With the summer grilling season under way, broad awareness of the risk will help ED physicians, internists, and radiologists to quickly and appropriately diagnose this injury. These bristles are small, and can be quite difficult to visualize on plain radiographs and CT. If necessary, CT scans of the abdomen and pelvis should be performed without oral contrast, which can obscure the wire bristle. Clinical history is critical so that radiologic evaluation can be tailored to pinpoint the location of the wire (and potential complications) for the appropriate intervention. Additionally, public awareness might result in careful examination of any grill surface before use or use of alternative grill-cleaning methods or products. Awareness by manufacturers and retailers might encourage alteration of current products or development of safer ones for consumer use. Finally, those in the food services industry should examine whether their patrons are at risk for this injury.

Detailed information on the types and brands of grill-cleaning brushes was not available; therefore, recommendations regarding which brands might be safer overall or less likely to lose their bristles could not be made. Questions remain regarding whether different brands or designs of grill-cleaning brushes, different grill types (e.g., uncoated cast iron versus porcelain-coated cast iron), different types of food (e.g., whole cuts of meat versus patties), or different health conditions (e.g., dentures or other oral conditions) make a difference in the risk for ingestion of wire bristles.

Physician awareness of this potential injury is critical to facilitate timely diagnosis and treatment. Awareness of this potential injury by the general population, manufacturers, and retailers can reduce exposures and decrease the likelihood of occurrence. Careful examination of the grill surface before grilling or use of alternative grill-cleaning methods or products are advisable. To improve monitoring of this injury mechanism, medical professionals or consumers should report these injuries to CPSC at http://www.saferproducts.gov
More here:
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6126a4.htm?s_cid=mm6126a4_w

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 09:03:54 PM »

FDA approves first rapid, take home HIV test
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Food and Drug Administration has approved the first over-the-counter HIV test, allowing Americans to test themselves for the virus that causes AIDS in the privacy of their homes.

The OraQuick test detects the presence of HIV in saliva collected using a mouth swab. The test is designed to return a result within 20 to 40 minutes.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/story/2012-07-03/fda-approves-hiv-home-tests/56002548/1

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 11:24:20 PM »

OxyContin For Kids!
"The pharmaceutical company behind OxyContin is paying dozens of clinical sites to document the effects of the highly addictive painkiller on children as part of an effort to secure a Food and Drug Administration approval to label the drug for use by kids ages six and up, according to a report published by The Daily.

Though Purdue Pharma insists it is conducting the trials to ensure the safety of children currently being prescribed OxyContin "off-label" by doctors, some, including three physicians involved in the trials, said the company is more concerned about the impending expiration of the drug's patent, and is hoping to receive a six-month extension from the FDA..."

OxyContin For Kids!

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 12:05:40 AM »

Tuberculosis Outbreak! A Perfect Example Of Why Healthcare Is A National Security Issue

Tuberculosis Outbreak! A Perfect Example Of Why Healthcare Is A National Security Issue

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

marilyn.monroe

• Hero Talker
Gloves translate sign language to speech
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 09:10:23 AM »

At Microsoft's annual design competition called the Imagine Cup, a group from the Ukraine won the Software Design category for EnableTalk. In truth, the pair of gloves covered in sensors wouldn't have done much without the software to translate hand movements to something a computer could understand, and then communicate with Microsoft's voice programming API to export actual speech. That all of that happens in real time using simple hardware is pretty amazing, and EnableTalk earned the Ukrainian Quadsquad team $25,000.

The four members of Quadsquad (get it?) got the idea to make these gloves when they tried to interact with deaf classmates at their school. The team spent time building the prototype using custom made flex sensors, touch sensors, gyroscopes and accelerometers to gather as much data from the hand motions as possible. Transmitting that data via Bluetooth to a Windows Mobile-powered cellphone was just a stroke of genius.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118409-Gloves-Translate-Sign-Language-to-Speech

8)

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 03:27:17 AM »

Promising New Treatment for Kids With Egg Allergy
If you're allergic to eggs, a doctor has probably told you to avoid the protein. But researchers have now found that eating small amounts of egg for several months may lower the allergic reaction.

More here:
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/promising-egg-allergy-treatment/story?id=16803547#.UAkH66NmMud

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

marilyn.monroe

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 08:33:18 AM »

Promising New Treatment for Kids With Egg Allergy
If you're allergic to eggs, a doctor has probably told you to avoid the protein. But researchers have now found that eating small amounts of egg for several months may lower the allergic reaction.

More here:
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/promising-egg-allergy-treatment/story?id=16803547#.UAkH66NmMud
I wonder if vaccines are causing allergies. Some vaccines contain egg protein because they use eggs or chick embryos in the process. It is known some vaccines can that contain egg protein can cause allergic reaction in people with egg allergies. Others that contain egg protein are said to benefit more than the risk kids with egg allergies. Perhaps the ingredients added to the virus cause immune system reactions too, triggering the body to reject eggs, for example. Wonder how using human fetus (If you are struggling to recall how you could have missed this important fact when signing your vaccine consent form, it wasn't your error—because it wasn't disclosed on any consent form*) dna in vaccines affects the immune system. Could it cause the immune system to turn on the body like with lupus and rheumatoid? I feel like a lot of accepted medical practices are really uninformed human experimentation.

*http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/07/10/this-shocking-fact-is-never-disclosed-on-any-vaccine-informed-consent-form.aspx

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31   Go Up