MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Parenting > Little Kid Games....?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Little Kid Games....?  (Read 1722 times)

AtypicalGirl

• Hero Talker
  • My handsome boy! :)
Little Kid Games....?
« on: July 05, 2012, 11:02:32 AM »

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I thought that some parents may be able to use this at a later date. :)

My family reunion is coming up very quickly and my brain is scattered in so many different directions right now. I've had some of the kids games planned for quite a while now, but I recently found out there are going to be quite a few little-little ones there. lol

Obviously my baby girl will be there, and she's at the age where she can play games, but we all know 1-4 year-olds don't have a great attention span.

Most of the games I have for the kids, the leeeeeetle ones really can't play, and I don't want to leave them out!

I haven't really been able to find anything for kids in the 1-4 age group online. I really want games that they can play for prizes (and in the end, EVERY kid will get a prize).

I've thought about filling a baby pool with duckies and play it like the game you see at carnivals. Zoey has PLENTY of duckies, so I wouldn't have to buy those! lol

I also found a game called "dinosaur dig" for little ones. It said to buy a bunch of little dinosaurs and bury them in a sandbox and whoever finds the most first, wins. Personally, I would allow the kids to keep their dinosaurs they find as well.

It seems that these games would go quickly, and I was hoping you fine people could help a girl out by giving me some more ideas!

Again, I have games for the older kids (three-legged race, scavenger hunt bingo, treasure hunt, water balloon toss, etc..) but some of these games wouldn't keep the little kids interested too long.

Thanks everyone!

(Also, I'll take ANY ideas you may have! I'll have help with the games, so I'm not worried about how long it will take or anything like that. :))

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
  • 1972 - 1975
Re: Little Kid Games....?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 11:31:59 AM »

I have seen people put what I think was butcher block paper on the side of the barn and have the kids paint with water colors or markers. 

pam

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 10:51:57 PM »

I have three little ones that fall in that age range and they love games where you knock things down. You can get a little bowling set pretty cheap or even set up pop bottles and give them a ball. Knock down the pins (or bottles) and win a prize. Another game they like is where I give them a balloon and set up a bin (bucket, box, etc.) and they have to run down to get the balloon in the bin. The younger toddlers usually just walk up and drop it in and the older toddlers have to toss it in from a foot or so away.

Deanna

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 11:43:59 PM »

Old cookie cutters, tempera paints and tissue paper or a paper lunch bag let's little ones have fun creating beautiful paper or a goodie bag.

Make your own bingo cards with pictures of animals or shapes with different colors...if your Monroe County Resident you can get the cards laminated at  MISD for a small fee and use them over and over and they can be wiped off too without damaging the cards...make fewer amount of squares so BINGO can be achieved faster.  You can let them use pennies as markers and the winner gets to keep the pennies or winner gets a sticker.
Here is an example of what I am talking about http://www.dltk-cards.com/bingo/bingo1.asp

Cheerio/fruit loop necklaces always go over great and helps with fine motor skills.
I spy is always fun, so is follow the leader.
And who doesn't like musical chairs-rather than chairs have them stop on a paper plate. Red light/ green lightand Simon Says.

I'd rather be by myself than in bad company

Deanna

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 11:44:59 PM »

And don't forget, just for fun, blowing bubbles : )

AtypicalGirl

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 12:02:34 AM »

I have seen people put what I think was butcher block paper on the side of the barn and have the kids paint with water colors or markers. 

I think Live would be too afraid they'd be repainting his barn! lol

I did think of coloring, but I was hoping more for games to play for prizes. I just don't want the little ones to see the older kids with toys and feel left out.

I have three little ones that fall in that age range and they love games where you knock things down. You can get a little bowling set pretty cheap or even set up pop bottles and give them a ball. Knock down the pins (or bottles) and win a prize. Another game they like is where I give them a balloon and set up a bin (bucket, box, etc.) and they have to run down to get the balloon in the bin. The younger toddlers usually just walk up and drop it in and the older toddlers have to toss it in from a foot or so away.

I didn't even think about bowling! That's a good one :)

After I posted this, I realized I bought a ring toss game from Walgreens and figured I could use that as one of the games. I'm afraid to use balloons because I don't know how windy it will be that day, and I really don't wanna use balls cause they would bounce out of a basket/box.

Old cookie cutters, tempera paints and tissue paper or a paper lunch bag let's little ones have fun creating beautiful paper or a goodie bag.

Make your own bingo cards with pictures of animals or shapes with different colors...if your Monroe County Resident you can get the cards laminated at  MISD for a small fee and use them over and over and they can be wiped off too without damaging the cards...make fewer amount of squares so BINGO can be achieved faster.  You can let them use pennies as markers and the winner gets to keep the pennies or winner gets a sticker.
Here is an example of what I am talking about http://www.dltk-cards.com/bingo/bingo1.asp

Cheerio/fruit loop necklaces always go over great and helps with fine motor skills.
I spy is always fun, so is follow the leader.
And who doesn't like musical chairs-rather than chairs have them stop on a paper plate. Red light/ green lightand Simon Says.

Great ideas! But again, most of those activities don't really involve winning prizes... :-/  With bingo, I don't think the really little ones would comprehend it.

I'm starting to think I'm just going to set up a craft table for the little ones to keep them occupied while the older ones are playing games that are too advanced. And then I can do the duckie game and the ring toss. I'm sure the little ones won't sit around that long to play much more. lol

I'll still appreciate game ideas, though! And thank you guys for your input! :)

Deanna

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 12:16:31 AM »

LOL hard to entertain them for long.
a rubbermaid tote on a tablecloth, some homemade colored rice some funnels and cups will entertain them for hours.  Almost as much fun as the dried corn box at the 4H building of the fair.hahaha Playdough is fun too and it's cheap to make.

AtypicalGirl

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 12:34:57 AM »

Ahhhh yes! Play-doh! And we'll be outside, so I wouldn't have to really clean up! :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up