MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Religion & Philosophy > No Comment...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: No Comment...  (Read 18388 times)

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: No Comment...
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 11:21:34 AM »

Wow.  Liberals trust Science better than Conservatives?

Give me a break.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 02:30:05 PM »

Are Atheists Smarter Than Religious People?

"Are religious people less intelligent than atheists? That's the provocative conclusion of a new review of 63 studies of intelligence and religion that span the past century. The meta-analysis showed that in 53 of the studies, conducted between 1928 to 2012, there was an inverse relation between religiosity -- having religious beliefs, or performing religious rituals -- and intelligence. That is, on average, non-believers scored higher than religious people on intelligence tests...".

Are Atheists Smarter Than Religious People?
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 10:52:08 AM »

'In God We Trust' to be removed from US currency?

A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit demanding the "In God We Trust" phrase to be removed from US currency. According to the plaintiffs involved in the case, the saying is "discriminatory and a per se establishment of monotheism." The lead council in the case, Michael Newdow, explains how this isn't a separation between church and state.

'In God We Trust' to be removed from US currency?

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Edited to add:

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2013, 11:59:15 AM »

Atheists Bullied For Not Believing In God

"Despite secularism and atheism being on the rise, some areligious students feel discriminated against—at times violently. Now teachers across the U.S. are creating Secular Safe Zones...". How is the Secular Student Alliance involved? Does not believing in God lead to bullying from Christians in the US?

Atheists Bullied For Not Believing In God

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 03:02:23 AM »

Girl Kills Herself To See Her Daddy Again

"Girl, 12, hangs herself and leaves a note for her mother saying she wanted to see her dead father again because she 'missed him so much"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uWMOZ0vaCY

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2013, 01:05:01 PM »

Cuss warning:

Is The Bible Fiction?

"A Costco in Simi Valley found itself in a flap this week after a local pastor posted a photo on Twitter showing Bibles at the big-box store labeled as fiction. Caleb Kaltenbach, pastor of Discovery Church, came across the Bibles while shopping for a gift and tweeted the picture on Friday with the comment: "Costco has Bibles for sale under the genre of FICTION Hmmmm..." That didn't sit well with members of his congregation."

Is The Bible Fiction?

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 09:36:05 AM »

Do You Trust The Clergy? Most Don't

"Clergy used to rank near the top in polls asking Americans to rate the honesty and ethics of people in various professions. This year, for the first time since Gallup began asking the question in 1977, fewer than half of those polled said clergy have "high" or "very high" moral standards.

But opinions on clergy differed markedly by party, with Republicans viewing them far more favorably than Democrats.

Overall, 47 percent of respondents to the survey gave clergy "high" or "very high" ratings, a sharp drop in confidence from the 67 percent of Americans who viewed them this way in 1985."

www.youtube.com/watch?v=u35JxVlVduQ

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 09:40:25 AM »

Republicans' belief in evolution plummets, poll reveals

Fewer Republicans today than in 2009 believe in evolution, according to new analysis from the Pew Research Center.

A poll out Monday shows that less than half – 43 percent – of those who identify with the Republican Party say they believe humans have evolved over time, plunging from 54 percent four years ago. Forty-eight percent say they believe “humans and other living things have existed in their present form since the beginning of time,” up from 39 percent in 2009.

At 67 percent and 65 percent, respectively, the numbers of Democrats and independents who believe in evolution have remained more or less the same since 2009. They’re also in step with the population nationally: Six-in-10 Americans say they believe humans have evolved.

The gaping partisan disparity remains, the analysis states, even when accounting for “differences in the racial and ethnic composition of Democrats and Republicans or differences in their levels of religious commitment.” But the dip from 2009 is a telling indicator of the growing influence in the GOP of the oft-yoked tea party-type ideologues and the “religious right.”

According to the survey, a majority of white evangelical Protestants and half of black Protestants reject evolution. Overwhelming majorities of white Catholics and white mainline Protestants say they do believe in evolution, but among those half say a “Supreme being” guided it, rather than natural processes.

It’s a subject whose nuances saw some play in the 2012 presidential election. While former candidate Gov. Rick Perry, R-Texas, brushed off evolution as “a theory” with “some holes in it,” former Gov. Jon Huntsman, R-Utah, on the left side of the GOP field famously posted on Twitter: “To be clear. I believe in evolution and trust scientists on global warming. Call me crazy.”

Mitt Romney, a devout Mormon and the Republican Party’s ultimate nominee in 2012, has publicly stated his support for evolution – as guided by God.

“I’m not exactly sure what is meant by intelligent design,” he told the New York Times during his 2008 presidential bid. “But I believe God is intelligent and I believe he designed the creation. And I believe he used the process of evolution to create the human body.”
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/republicans-belief-in-evolution-plummets-poll-reveals/

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 01:45:00 PM »

Cuss warning

Billionaire Warns Pope Francis

"Langone told CNBC that one potential seven-figure donor is concerned about statements from the pope criticizing market economies as "exclusionary," urging the rich to give more to the poor and criticizing a "culture of prosperity" that leads some to become "incapable of feeling compassion for the poor."

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJpopKXJa0w

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2014, 02:07:51 PM »

Minnesota Archdiocese Names 34 Priests Accused Of Child Sexual Abuse

www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_wqifIu_5g

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 02:54:22 AM »

Kentucky pastor 'murdered husband and wife then attended their funerals and offered his sympathies to grieving family'

A pastor charged in a triple slaying at a Kentucky pawn shop had attended the funeral of two of the victims, offering condolences to relatives who say they're sickened by the arrest of the man who seemed to be a sympathetic mourner.

Kenneth Allen Keith, pastor of Main Street Baptist Church in Burnside, was arrested on Wednesday and charged with murder and robbery after the September 20 slayings in Danville.

Keith, 48, attended the funeral of Michael Hockensmith, 35, and Hockensmith's wife 38-year-old Angela.  Daniel P. Smith, 60, also was killed.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2453623/Kentucky-pastor-murdered-husband-wife-attended-funerals.html#ixzz2qGMnFnXf

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 02:56:59 AM »

Arthur Schirmer, a former Pennsylvania pastor, was sentenced Monday to life in prison without parole in the fatal bludgeoning of his second wife in 2008.

Schirmer, 64, was sentenced in Monroe County Court nearly two months after a jury convicted him of first-degree murder in the death of Betty Schirmer. The conviction brought an automatic life sentence.

Schirmer is charged separately with killing his first wife, Jewel Schirmer, in 1999. He awaits trial in that case.

Prosecutors said he clubbed Betty Schirmer on the head with a crowbar, tehn loaded her into their car and staged a low-speed accident in an effort to conceal the crime. The former Methodist clergyman took the stand in his own defense and testified that he was driving her to the emergency room for treatment of jaw pain when he swerved to avoid a deer and hit a guard rail.

A jury deliberated about 90 minutes before returning its verdict.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/life-sentence-for-pa-pastor-arthur-schirmer-for-killing-second-wife/

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 02:11:38 AM »

How Jesus Hides Molesters - The American Taliban Puts Victims Last

"Bob Jones University has fired an independent firm hired to investigate sex abuse reports just one month before the group planned to release its 13-month review findings.

The university had contracted with Lynchburg, Va.-based GRACE (Godly Response to Abuse in the Christian Environment) in November 2012.

"Over the last several months, we grew concerned about how GRACE was pursuing our objectives, and on Jan. 27, 2014, BJU terminated its contract with GRACE," the university said in a press release. "It is BJU's intention to resolve its differences with GRACE, and we are disappointed a resolution could not be reached before our differences were made public."

How Jesus Hides Molesters - The American Taliban Puts Victims Last

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

ussoccer26

• Hero Talker
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2014, 09:19:15 PM »

Republicans' belief in evolution plummets, poll reveals

Fewer Republicans today than in 2009 believe in evolution, according to new analysis from the Pew Research Center.

A poll out Monday shows that less than half – 43 percent – of those who identify with the Republican Party say they believe humans have evolved over time, plunging from 54 percent four years ago. Forty-eight percent say they believe “humans and other living things have existed in their present form since the beginning of time,” up from 39 percent in 2009.

At 67 percent and 65 percent, respectively, the numbers of Democrats and independents who believe in evolution have remained more or less the same since 2009. They’re also in step with the population nationally: Six-in-10 Americans say they believe humans have evolved.

The gaping partisan disparity remains, the analysis states, even when accounting for “differences in the racial and ethnic composition of Democrats and Republicans or differences in their levels of religious commitment.” But the dip from 2009 is a telling indicator of the growing influence in the GOP of the oft-yoked tea party-type ideologues and the “religious right.”

According to the survey, a majority of white evangelical Protestants and half of black Protestants reject evolution. Overwhelming majorities of white Catholics and white mainline Protestants say they do believe in evolution, but among those half say a “Supreme being” guided it, rather than natural processes.

It’s a subject whose nuances saw some play in the 2012 presidential election. While former candidate Gov. Rick Perry, R-Texas, brushed off evolution as “a theory” with “some holes in it,” former Gov. Jon Huntsman, R-Utah, on the left side of the GOP field famously posted on Twitter: “To be clear. I believe in evolution and trust scientists on global warming. Call me crazy.”

Mitt Romney, a devout Mormon and the Republican Party’s ultimate nominee in 2012, has publicly stated his support for evolution – as guided by God.

“I’m not exactly sure what is meant by intelligent design,” he told the New York Times during his 2008 presidential bid. “But I believe God is intelligent and I believe he designed the creation. And I believe he used the process of evolution to create the human body.”
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/republicans-belief-in-evolution-plummets-poll-reveals/

The problem I have with religion is not that our people believe in it, but that it has corrupted our peoples' ability to reason and take science into account. Why should someone that believes the Earth is 6000 years old be able to hold office? Do they feel that god will provide America with everything it needs, so why bother with planning for the future? If they can willfully turn a blind eye to overwhelming scientific evidence for things such as evolution, then how can they be trusted to use reasoning and good judgement to run a nation?
Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2014, 06:41:06 AM »

The problem I have with religion is not that our people believe in it, but that it has corrupted our peoples' ability to reason and take science into account. Why should someone that believes the Earth is 6000 years old be able to hold office? Do they feel that god will provide America with everything it needs, so why bother with planning for the future? If they can willfully turn a blind eye to overwhelming scientific evidence for things such as evolution, then how can they be trusted to use reasoning and good judgement to run a nation?

In God We Trust

:-[
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up