MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Religion & Philosophy > No Comment...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: No Comment...  (Read 18424 times)

ussoccer26

• Hero Talker
Re: No Comment...
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2014, 05:12:55 PM »

:-[

Maybe I should have worded things a little different. I didn't mean that religious people shouldn't hold office, because everyone has the right to believe what they will. I just worry that when particularly religious individuals are making our laws they might be biased heavily against the rights of other religions or lack there of.

When I said, "Do they feel that god will provide America with everything it needs, so why bother with planning for the future?" I meant that they might, in the literal sense, wait for god to provide America with the things we need. I guess a good analogy would be to compare it to religious families that pray for extremely sick children rather than seeking medical help.
Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2014, 06:45:57 PM »

I think anyone who has read even a little bit of the Bible would realize that it doesn't advocate sitting around waiting for a miracle to feed and clothe you....  though it can happen in a pinch.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

ussoccer26

• Hero Talker
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2014, 07:08:14 PM »

Those families are not sitting around though. They are praying. This is the irrational thinking that I am talking about.
Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2014, 07:13:01 PM »

Those families are not sitting around though. They are praying. This is the irrational thinking that I am talking about.

I guess if you have no faith praying would seem irrational - and if you don't have faith trying to convince you otherwise can be futile.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2014, 07:22:03 PM »

I guess if you have no faith praying would seem irrational - and if you don't have faith trying to convince you otherwise can be futile.
[or intellect, information, facts, science, proof, etcetera...]

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2014, 07:29:43 PM »

[or intellect, information, facts, science, proof, etcetera...]

Of course - because if you have faith we all knows yous stoopid, write?

Give me a break Monique.

Faith is a gift.  You can accept it, or you can reject it.  Rejecting it is done to the peril of the individual.

Those who reject it often use "intellect" and "science" and "logic" and "intelligence" to justify how smart they are to not follow a superstitious old book of fairy tales.

Now go pat yourself on your back for being so smart and so superior. 

I for one will pray that one of these days the Holy Spirit will find a way into your hard heart and you will be saved.  I know it is possible.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

ussoccer26

• Hero Talker
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2014, 07:39:25 PM »

I don't think praying if you have a religious faith is irrational, but ignoring science to the point of your children dying because of your faith is irrational. Blind faith, which is what religion asks, warps how people see reality. It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2014, 07:49:11 PM »

I don't think praying if you have a religious faith is irrational, but ignoring science to the point of your children dying because of your faith is irrational. Blind faith, which is what religion asks, warps how people see reality. It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.

Sure.  And 99.999999% of people of faith would agree with you.

Go to any hospital and you can meet many of them.

The hospital in Monroe was originally founded by Catholics.  Strange thing to do if you are just supposed to pray for healing?

I think you are taking an isolated case and trying to present it as mainstream, which it is not.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

ussoccer26

• Hero Talker
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2014, 08:37:01 PM »

Here is your isolated case. There were a lot more names, but it took too long to sift through the dead so here is a sampling. I'll get to your point about hospitals in a minute.

Lisa Sheridan, age 5
Kimberly Sartore, age 1
Clayton Scott Zimmern, age 9
Matthew Swan
Seth Ian Glaser
Natalie Rippberger
Shauntay Walker, age 4
Amy Hermanson, age 7
Ian Burdick, age 15
Ian Lundman, age 11
Robyn Twitchell, age two
Elizabeth Ashley King, age 12
Michael Schram, age 12
Ronald Rowan, age 11
Andrew Pinkham, age 3
Kris Ann Lewis, age 13
Debra Ann Kupsch, age 9
Justin Barnhart, age 2
Melinda Sue Friedenbeger, age 18 weeks
Clayton Nixon, age 8
Michael David Boehmer, age 4
Libby Cooke, age 4
Sarah Handy, born prematurely
Jason Lockhart, age 9
Desiree Camren, age 3
Angela Sweet, age 7
Travis Drake, age 14
Jordan Northrup, age four months

In early 1991, six children died in the Philadelphia area of measles. Five of the children's parents belonged to the Faith Tabernacle and had religious objections to vaccinations. (The sixth child's parents belonges to the First Century Gospel Church which also objects to medical care.)

Five children of the Winterbourne family of suburban Philadelphia died of pneumonia between 1971 and 1980 without receiving medical attention. Roger Winterbourne, the father, stated: "When you believe in something, you have to believe it all the way. If you only believe in it part way, it's not a true belief."

Again, there were many others, but it simply would take too long to post them all. The scary part is these cases are just from the United States. Just start thinking about all the other places where this probably happens, but goes unreported.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 08:58:45 PM by ussoccer26 »

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2014, 12:36:28 AM »

New crusaders? US military adopting religious doctrines

RT's Anastasia Churkina investigates the impact religious beliefs taken to an extreme have had on American soldiers both in the warfare they participate in abroad, and in interacting their peers at home.

New crusaders? US military adopting religious doctrines
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2014, 12:38:47 AM »

Scared Of America Becoming A Theocracy? Here's A Peek

"Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA) added another tile to the increasingly colorful mosaic of his political record yesterday, explaining that he will only consider voting for a bill if it fits "Judeo-Christian Biblical principles."

Broun, currently running in a crowded field for the Republican U.S. Senate nomination, also said legislation needed to be constitutional, but did not delve into the First Amendment's prohibition on Congress passing a law "respecting an establishment of religion."

Scared Of America Becoming A Theocracy? Here's A Peek

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Edited to add:

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2014, 12:40:00 AM »

World's Largest Megachuch Founder Convicted, But He'll Be Just Fine

"David Yonggi Cho, founder of South Korea's Yoido Full Gospel Church, has been sentenced to three years in prison for embezzling $12 million in church funds, Christianity Today reported on Monday.

Allegations arose in November of last year when 30 church elders held a press conference accusing Cho and his family of stealing millions in church donations dating back to the 1990s. The elders enumerated multiple instances of Cho's dishonesty that involved him borrowing and never returning funds, acquiring enormous church donations without disclosing what they were being used toward and even taking an $18 million severance pay when he stepped down as head pastor in 2008.

One former church elder, Ha Sang-ok, was present at the press conference and urged Cho to come forward."

World's Largest Megachuch Founder Convicted, But He'll Be Just Fine

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2014, 12:41:21 AM »

Christian Lawmakers Fall For Noah's Ark Scam And Then...

*It might have been a warning sign when he said he'd found Noah's Ark. Ponzi schemes are notoriously attractive at the onset, then look awfully stupid in the rear-view mirror. The latest, in Texas, involves conservative Christian lawmakers and a man who promised outsized profits on energy trading software, milking lawmakers with his alleged Christian bona fides. "I ran into him at a conservative event," state Rep. Bill Zedler told the Dallas Morning News. "What he had said was he was in the Mount Ararat region and they had come up with some stuff. He may have given me a DVD." In essence, they say they put their faith in a man who played at being godly and literally buttered his pitch in bible verse...*

Christian Lawmakers Fall For Noah's Ark Scam And Then...

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2014, 07:03:36 AM »

Here is your isolated case. There were a lot more names, but it took too long to sift through the dead so here is a sampling. I'll get to your point about hospitals in a minute.

Lisa Sheridan, age 5
Kimberly Sartore, age 1
Clayton Scott Zimmern, age 9
Matthew Swan
Seth Ian Glaser
Natalie Rippberger
Shauntay Walker, age 4
Amy Hermanson, age 7
Ian Burdick, age 15
Ian Lundman, age 11
Robyn Twitchell, age two
Elizabeth Ashley King, age 12
Michael Schram, age 12
Ronald Rowan, age 11
Andrew Pinkham, age 3
Kris Ann Lewis, age 13
Debra Ann Kupsch, age 9
Justin Barnhart, age 2
Melinda Sue Friedenbeger, age 18 weeks
Clayton Nixon, age 8
Michael David Boehmer, age 4
Libby Cooke, age 4
Sarah Handy, born prematurely
Jason Lockhart, age 9
Desiree Camren, age 3
Angela Sweet, age 7
Travis Drake, age 14
Jordan Northrup, age four months

In early 1991, six children died in the Philadelphia area of measles. Five of the children's parents belonged to the Faith Tabernacle and had religious objections to vaccinations. (The sixth child's parents belonges to the First Century Gospel Church which also objects to medical care.)

Five children of the Winterbourne family of suburban Philadelphia died of pneumonia between 1971 and 1980 without receiving medical attention. Roger Winterbourne, the father, stated: "When you believe in something, you have to believe it all the way. If you only believe in it part way, it's not a true belief."

Again, there were many others, but it simply would take too long to post them all. The scary part is these cases are just from the United States. Just start thinking about all the other places where this probably happens, but goes unreported.

Thanks for making my point for me.

Take all the cases you can find.  Divide that by the number of people rumored to believe in some faith - and you will find that it is only the fringe wackos that you are talking about.

Now - in the United States we have the Separation between Church and State - so you are supposed to be able to freely practice whatever religion you want how you see fit.  Now the last several administrations have been chip chip chipping away at that, and Obama has been the worst, but praying over a sick person - or for that matter just refusing medical treatment seems to be something that an individual can chose in this country.

Since I believe in personal freedom and liberty I don't personally want to infringe on someones rights to do themselves harm.

I do feel bad for their kids.  They drew a bad hand - not their fault - but I can't support those that would go after the parents for child endangerment because that leads down a slippery slope to the government dictating more and more of what we must do, and what we can't do.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2014, 03:32:27 AM »

Pastor To Women: Lose The Panties, God Can't Get In

"A local pastor has ordered all women who attend service at Lord's Propeller Redemption Church to refrain from wearing undergarments while attending so that they can more easily receive the spirit of Jesus Christ.

The Kenyan Daily Post is reporting that a pastor identified only as "Reverend Njohi" claimed bras and underwear are not godly. Additionally, the paper says Njohi wants women who attend service at the church to be "free," and that there would be consequences for those who do not comply.

According to the UK Metro, most women did, in fact, show up at the church, located in the eastern suburb of Dandora, the following Sunday without any undergarments on under their clothing."

Pastor To Women: Lose The Panties, God Can't Get In

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up