MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Someone wrote an awesome letter for the future Monroe County Sheriff

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Someone wrote an awesome letter for the future Monroe County Sheriff  (Read 2070 times)

Deanna

• Hero Talker

Kudos to the author! 
http://www.monroenews.com/news/2012/jul/09/dear-future-monroe-county-sheriff-we-have-drug-pro/
I sure hope that this gets answered, it will be an interesting read for sure.  Just in case it does - I have to go find my hip waders because it may be getting really deep really fast.

I'd rather be by myself than in bad company

Forsythia

• Hero Talker
Re: Someone wrote an awesome letter for the future Monroe County Sheriff
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 03:19:49 PM »

Ok I can see the authors point, but they should be offering up solutions to the problem, not just asking the sherrif to take care of it.

First things first, drug addiciton is not a criminal offense, it is a disease and needs to be treated as such.  There needs to be a strong network of mental health support because the drug addiction is a symptom, NOT the root problem.

To prevent drug use we need better, more in your face, education.  Take freshmen or 8th graders to the methadone clinic.  Have a current or former drug addict speak to classes about how their life turned out the way it did.  Make the face of drug addiction real to these kids.  It works.  A lot of European countries do this and it has helped to reduce addiction rates and usage. 
For those who have problems with my posts, please feel free to fill out the form at the link below and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGF4UVJ5UmpZLUhzX0dMNEotSEljTXc6MQ

Ignorance is only blissful for the ignorant.  The rest of us have to put up with you idiots.

"Prayer is nothing more than bargain basement anger." A. LaVey

"A christian telling an atheist he is going to hell is about as scary as a small child telling an adult they won't get any presents from santa." - R. Gervais

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 07:42:15 AM »

If you were one of the 106 that read this article since it was posted, please go back to then newspaper article and read some of the comments added at the bottom...   and keep checking back for a few days.

BTW Deanna, this article was written by Tom Treece, one of the regular columnists for the MEN...

and I agree with you Forsythia...   it's easy to say there is a problem...   practically any parent (or even teen) in Monroe County could have written that.

The day I started my very first job out of high school my new boss was giving me the "new employee orientation"...   one of his comments...  "from time to time you may notice a problem around here.  If you see a problem please let me know.  But please think up a few good solutions to the problem before you present everything to me".

I've tried to follow that and passed it along to people that have worked for me along the way. 

The answer I see in the replies to Tom's column seen to center around "give the sheriff" more money...   seems like the common answer for everything today is "more money" :-\ :-\ :-\
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Forsythia

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 07:50:32 AM »

Fortunately I don't have a facebook account or else I would offer my solutions.  Unfortunately I don't think my ideas would go over well with parents despite the countless studies that have shown it works.
For those who have problems with my posts, please feel free to fill out the form at the link below and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGF4UVJ5UmpZLUhzX0dMNEotSEljTXc6MQ

Ignorance is only blissful for the ignorant.  The rest of us have to put up with you idiots.

"A christian telling an atheist he is going to hell is about as scary as a small child telling an adult they won't get any presents from santa." - R. Gervais

marilyn.monroe

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 10:37:19 AM »

Fortunately I don't have a facebook account or else I would offer my solutions.  Unfortunately I don't think my ideas would go over well with parents despite the countless studies that have shown it works.
Too much liability to take kids around methadone clinics. I think having reformed speakers give testimony is good, and definitely teaching kids about drugs. The author is right, too many families are feeling the pain of the loss of a loved one to drugs. Drug addicts need rehabilitation, it costs the community, but it helps keep our neighborhoods more safe and healthy. Drugs aren't just on the East side, they are COUNTY wide. Locking up addicts for doing drugs is not solving the problem. Monroe would be in better shape if the head of the drug force hadn't been run criminals. Most of the US Heroin comes in through Mexico or Canada. NAFTA is killing us in more ways than one.

Forsythia

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 11:36:29 AM »

Too much liability to take kids around methadone clinics. I think having reformed speakers give testimony is good, and definitely teaching kids about drugs. The author is right, too many families are feeling the pain of the loss of a loved one to drugs. Drug addicts need rehabilitation, it costs the community, but it helps keep our neighborhoods more safe and healthy. Drugs aren't just on the East side, they are COUNTY wide. Locking up addicts for doing drugs is not solving the problem. Monroe would be in better shape if the head of the drug force hadn't been run criminals. Most of the US Heroin comes in through Mexico or Canada. NAFTA is killing us in more ways than one.

Well I'm not suggesting bringing 5th graders to a methadone clinic, more like high schoolers.  Still having reformed drug addicts talk to kids would go a long way. 

I also agree that there needs to be a support system for people trying to get off drugs.  Usually there's a root cause for the person to start using like depression or problems at home.  That coupled with the depression that occurs when a person gets off drugs shows the need for counseling while the person is attemting to quit.  There was a Swiss study I read that for every 1 dollar you put into counseling for drug addicts, $4 goes back into the community via their becoming an asset to society.

Deanna

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 01:22:13 PM »

For any addict out there trying to break those chains-my prayers for comfort, strength and success go out to you. 

Forsythia offer your solutions here.  Someone could come along and read them and may be in a position to start implementing them. 

How can you keep a kid from doing drugs?  If watching your friends die from an overdose isn't a deterrant I really don't know what would be.  Usually it is a group that "parties" together and have been friends etc. Now if they realize they have a problem and decide to quit... unless the entire group quits partying the person trying to, has to be isolated from those people or else the "urge" to go back to partying would be there.  If you want scare tactics google before and after mugshots, people who get busted, then are hooked on drugs and get busted a year or two later and they have aged about 30 years...sad.

Also read the court section-we have too many dealers getting reduced charges, plea bargaining, dropped charges.  If you get busted selling and just have a couple months to serve but you made X amt of $$$ before getting busted...Is the risk worth it?  The people play the system and the laws protect them.  Drug dealers know that our youth are easy targets  and that they will not be sent to jail so they use them to peddle their poison to their friends and so on.  And the young kids that are selling it aren't smart enough to realize they are pawns, perhaps addicts themselves trying to support their own habit or buy the next top dollar cell phone or electronic gadget similar to sex offenders they groom the kids. 
Maybe someone needs to go to the meth clinic and ask each and every person there why they started.  Make a documentary with local addicts stories.   
I love the idea one of the commentors had on the original article of putting pictures of the people in Monroe County lost to drugs.  Make it a memorial like they suggest because it is a war-a personal war that each of these individuals are casualties and so are their families. 
Also put the pictures in the news of the dealers that have been busted...give parents a helping hand in identifying them so they can keep their kids away from them.
I'd rather be by myself than in bad company

Forsythia

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 01:45:00 PM »

Here's another thing, take it out of the dealers hands.  Make it legal and governemnt regulated.  I'm talking for all drugs.  I know it's extreme for some people, but it works, and it works well.  Look at the drug abuse rate in Switzerland or even the UK. Each of those countries have much more liberal drug laws than the US, and they don't punish the addict. 

LMayzlin

• Veteran Talker
  • Culinary Extraordinaire
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 03:14:26 PM »

it was nicely written, but I think it will fall on deaf ears...unfortunately.

I can remember when parts of Taylor (specifically Eureka Rd between Beech Daly and Inkster Rd) were littered with drugs... a few sweeps through cleared out that section of Taylor.

Perhaps this should be the steps that MCSD and MPD should take -- sweeps -- flush them out and prosecute them.
if you believe that the Congress can mandate that each individual person buy health insurance, you basically don't believe that there is anything that is outside Congress' Article I, Section 8 powers.

Billy

• Hero Talker
  • Don't let the smooth taste fool ya!
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 04:28:30 PM »

I'm glad this subject is being talked about publicly as I believe the problem is bigger than most realize. I was at the barber shop when an MPD officer came in and the discussion turned to the pill epidemic that was in the news at the time. Remember when the legal drug dealer with the pain killer super store got busted (or slapped on the wrist)? Anyway the conversation turned to the fact that a lot of heroin was turning up due to affordability. He then mentioned where this activity was taking place which struck me as odd. I thought if they knew exactly where this was taking place why and the heck wasn't anything being done about it? I'm sure it's not that simple but it sure seems like it should be.

Pax

• Hero Talker
  • "keepin' the bits cool & dry"
    • Coffee and Cigarettes for Breakfast
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 07:41:44 PM »

I agree your "candidates" should be queried, it's just the question(s) I disagree with.  The US™ has ensured the massive increase in production and export of Middle Eastern heroin since their "intervention" there 10+ years ago, so what does the "candidate" propose to do to thwart the importation of that substance into Monroe County?  Will he hold "federal" agents making the deliveries within his jurisdiction to account?  Will he interdict federal deliveries into his jurisdiction as forcefully as he proposes to do for the schlep who's trying to make a few tax-free FedNotes to feed his family?  Will he protect "The People" who haven't consented to being "governed" by unelected, unacccountable "czars" in DC and an unconstitutional POTUS?  THOSE are the kinds of questions they should be asked, rather than "How do you propose to deal with those who opt to self-medicate?" regardless of how personally destructive that medication might be? Heroin IS a problem in your country, and in your county, but it's the fault of those you've supposedly "elected," not the morons who seek to escape from your present unrealities with it...
Qui tacet consentit! - "He who is silent consents" - Maxim of Law
"For he who would be deceived, let him." - Roman maxim
"Not to oppose error is to approve it; and not to defend truth is to suppress it; and indeed to neglect to confound evil men, when we can do it, is no less a sin than to encourage them." -Pope St. Felix III
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit.
Ryht æðelo biþ on ðam móde, næs on ðam flæ-acute

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 08:43:45 PM »

Former Cops Agree: Legalization Is the Path to Controlling Drugs
Is it time to scale back the failed and harmful war on drugs? No, it's time to end it once and for all.

As a 34-year veteran law enforcement officer who has done undercover narcotics work, I fully understand the harm that drug abuse can cause. I've seen it on the streets of Baltimore far too many times to count. But making drugs illegal and harshly punishing those who use or sell them hasn't solved the problem. We make more than 1.6 million drug arrests a year in the United States, but it hasn't made drugs appreciably harder to get, especially for our kids. We've spent over $1 trillion waging the drug war since President Richard Nixon first declared it in 1971, yet 47 percent of Americans admit to using illegal drugs.

But the drug war isn't just ineffective; it's much worse than that. Banning drugs has created an enormous black market in which those who control the illegal trade never hesitate to use violence to protect their tax-free profits. Drug cartels in Mexico have killed nearly 60,000 people over the past six years. If drugs were legal and regulated, instead of completely prohibited, none of these criminal organizations would have any interest in the drug trade. Think about it: When is the last time you heard about gangsters shooting each other to control the alcohol market? Probably sometime prior to 1933, which is when we ended the failed experiment of alcohol prohibition.

[Read the U.S. News Debate: Should Welfare Recipients Be Tested for Drugs?]

I seriously doubt that drug use will rise significantly under legalization; everyone who wants to use these substances already has easy access to them under our ineffective war on drugs. But once we stop wasting so much money arresting, prosecuting, and incarcerating people for drugs, we can better fund treatment and prevention programs that actually work. And, once the drug trade is regulated, we'll be able to make sure users know the exact potency and purity of the substances they are ingesting, giving them a form of quality control that is simply impossible under prohibition and which will reduce overdose deaths significantly.

Ending the war on drugs doesn't mean that our drug problem will disappear overnight; it just means that it will make our drug problem much easier to manage once we start using a true medical approach instead of sending cops like me to arrest people who are struggling with the health problem of substance abuse.
http://www.usnews.com/debate-club/is-it-time-to-scale-back-the-war-on-drugs/former-cops-agree-legalization-is-the-path-to-controlling-drugs

Chris Christie Calls War On Drugs 'A Failure'
<snippets>

"The war on drugs, while well-intentioned, has been a failure," Christie said Monday during a speech at The Brookings Institution. "We're warehousing addicted people everyday in state prisons in New Jersey, giving them no treatment."

Christie stressed the merits of legislation recently passed by New Jersey state lawmakers that institutes a year of mandatory treatment for first-time, nonviolent drug offenders instead of jail time.

Perhaps to blunt conservative criticism of the cost of such a program to the state, Christie argued in favor of the economics of drug treatment over incarceration.

"It costs us $49,000 a year to warehouse a prisoner in New Jersey state prisons last year," Christie said. "A full year of inpatient drug treatment costs $24,000 a year."

"You can certainly make the argument that no one should try drugs in the first place, I certainly am in that camp," Christie said, "but tens of millions of people in our society do every year, and for some people they can try it and walk away from it, but for others the first time they try it they become an addict, and they're sick and they need treatment."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/09/chris-christie-drugs-war-on-drugs_n_1659687.html
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
John Stuart Mill

Willful ignorance, PaTROLLing, bullying, dishonesty, and hypocrisy are among the traits that are common amongst those that espouse the Republican/Conservative/Tea Party ideology.

A non-response doesn't mean you've won, it merely means the obnoxious, illiterate, right-wing morons have taken too much of my time already.

NewDawn

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 09:57:26 PM »

For any addict out there trying to break those chains-my prayers for comfort, strength and success go out to you. 

Forsythia offer your solutions here.  Someone could come along and read them and may be in a position to start implementing them. 

How can you keep a kid from doing drugs?  If watching your friends die from an overdose isn't a deterrant I really don't know what would be.  Usually it is a group that "parties" together and have been friends etc. Now if they realize they have a problem and decide to quit... unless the entire group quits partying the person trying to, has to be isolated from those people or else the "urge" to go back to partying would be there.  If you want scare tactics google before and after mugshots, people who get busted, then are hooked on drugs and get busted a year or two later and they have aged about 30 years...sad.

Also read the court section-we have too many dealers getting reduced charges, plea bargaining, dropped charges.  If you get busted selling and just have a couple months to serve but you made X amt of $$$ before getting busted...Is the risk worth it?  The people play the system and the laws protect them.  Drug dealers know that our youth are easy targets  and that they will not be sent to jail so they use them to peddle their poison to their friends and so on.  And the young kids that are selling it aren't smart enough to realize they are pawns, perhaps addicts themselves trying to support their own habit or buy the next top dollar cell phone or electronic gadget similar to sex offenders they groom the kids. 
Maybe someone needs to go to the meth clinic and ask each and every person there why they started.  Make a documentary with local addicts stories.   
I love the idea one of the commentors had on the original article of putting pictures of the people in Monroe County lost to drugs.  Make it a memorial like they suggest because it is a war-a personal war that each of these individuals are casualties and so are their families. 
Also put the pictures in the news of the dealers that have been busted...give parents a helping hand in identifying them so they can keep their kids away from them.

Deanna...I agree with your statements/opinions. Treece wrote a great article too... hopefully it will wake a few people up and get them motivated to doing what needs to be done.

With all of the police employed in Monroe County (how many different departments do we have altogether?)
you would think that we would have minimal crime.
everyday is a new beginning....

NewDawn

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 10:11:49 PM »

I agree your "candidates" should be queried, it's just the question(s) I disagree with.  The US™ has ensured the massive increase in production and export of Middle Eastern heroin since their "intervention" there 10+ years ago, so what does the "candidate" propose to do to thwart the importation of that substance into Monroe County?  Will he hold "federal" agents making the deliveries within his jurisdiction to account?  Will he interdict federal deliveries into his jurisdiction as forcefully as he proposes to do for the schlep who's trying to make a few tax-free FedNotes to feed his family?  Will he protect "The People" who haven't consented to being "governed" by unelected, unacccountable "czars" in DC and an unconstitutional POTUS?  THOSE are the kinds of questions they should be asked, rather than "How do you propose to deal with those who opt to self-medicate?" regardless of how personally destructive that medication might be? Heroin IS a problem in your country, and in your county, but it's the fault of those you've supposedly "elected," not the morons who seek to escape from your present unrealities with it...

Pax... I too think the future Sheriff should be queried about what his intentions are and how he thinks to help solve OUR county's drug/crime problems. I wouldn't quite ask the questions that you stated...but I sure would like to know what his plans are for Monroe.

Also...I kind of like the idea of holding the federal agents (and others too) responsible for all of the heroin, etc. that is coming across our borders And our statelines. They are getting paid to stop it.
everyday is a new beginning....

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 10:05:46 AM »

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up