MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Mitt Romney

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 115   Go Down

Author Topic: Mitt Romney  (Read 51182 times)

Forsythia

• Hero Talker
Re: Mitt Romney
« Reply #1050 on: October 02, 2012, 07:39:50 AM »

So let's talk about the "budget" that Romney is going to use....wait they haven't run the numbers on it yet....

http://mediamatters.org/mobile/blog/2012/08/15/we-havent-run-the-numbers-a-startling-ryan-admi/189369

Thus far only a few media outlets have noted Ryan's comments. They include MSNBC's Morning Joe, which aired the clip three times, prompting Mika Brzezinski to quip that she hates it when people "don't run the numbers on the budget they propose." CNN aired a clip of them last night on Anderson Cooper 360, and this morning on Starting Point host Soledad O'Brien said of Ryan's remarks: "He doesn't want to get wonky because he hasn't run the numbers because the plan is very vague."

But there's been no print coverage, and no coverage on network news. Ryan's comments really should be getting more attention, for a number of reasons.

First, Mitt Romney has been going around telling everyone that, if elected, he intends to balance the federal budget by the end of his second term, or shortly thereafter. Ryan says that they don't know when Romney's plan will balance the budget. If Ryan is right, then what is Romney basing that claim on?

Second, the narrative that Ryan has cultivated among the press is that he's a budget wonk who understands fiscal issues and is allergic to deficits (this despite having voted for all the Bush-era policies that saddled us with high debt and ballooning deficits). Embracing the Romney budget and then saying that he doesn't know when it will balance because the campaign "hasn't run the numbers" runs counter to his reputation as a Serious Fiscal Hawk.

Third, as Ezra Klein of the Washington Post detailed yesterday, the Romney campaign's rhetoric about their budget goals butts up hard against fiscal realities. The campaign argues that their budget will cut spending to 20 percent of GDP by 2016. That's unlikely enough, but they've also announced that cuts to Medicare are off the table. As Klein put it, Romney's stated goal of balancing the budget in 8-10 years is "a fantasy, and it will never happen." Ryan's remarks yesterday would seem to confirm that.

Fourth, how can you claim to have a budget and also to have not "run the numbers?" Isn't that all a budget is? Numbers that have been run?

The bottom line is that, by Ryan's admission, the Romney campaign is promoting a budget plan despite not knowing what it actually accomplishes. If that's not grist for the media grinder, then what is?
For those who have problems with my posts, please feel free to fill out the form at the link below and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGF4UVJ5UmpZLUhzX0dMNEotSEljTXc6MQ

Ignorance is only blissful for the ignorant.  The rest of us have to put up with you idiots.

"Prayer is nothing more than bargain basement anger." A. LaVey

"A christian telling an atheist he is going to hell is about as scary as a small child telling an adult they won't get any presents from santa." - R. Gervais

jbs49238

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1051 on: October 02, 2012, 08:18:52 AM »

Really?  Media Matters?

That's non-biased... LOL!

I love your sources of "fact", they never fail to amaze.

jbs49238

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1052 on: October 02, 2012, 08:20:35 AM »

Wait let us now analyze EVERY OBAMA budget:

here it comes....

DONE!!!

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1053 on: October 02, 2012, 08:27:50 AM »

Com'on Bags.  Stop talking foolish.  The church doesn't back Romney and I will tell you why.  Any benefit that the church would get by backing Romney, it would certainly loose by being stripped of its 501(C)(3) status.

If denigrating Romney's faith makes you feel good - then have at it.  I see it for what it is: the imbecilic ramblings of an ill-informed, ill-educated bigot.
Hmmm...an attorney that continually derides people on education doesn't know the difference between loose and lose....I'd call that ironic.  ;)

Forsythia

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1054 on: October 02, 2012, 08:41:51 AM »

Really?  Media Matters?

That's non-biased... LOL!

I love your sources of "fact", they never fail to amaze.

Media matter is unbiased.  That being said go look at the quotes.  If would would have prefered the article the Washington Post printed then I will provide that one.  Ryan said flat out that he hasn't run the numbers on his own budget.  Go to the link and you will see the video of it.

Ok I just did some research on media matters.  Apprently it does lean progressive, but I see nothing wrong with that as many on here cite fox news which is a regressive news organization.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 08:46:05 AM by Forsythia »
For those who have problems with my posts, please feel free to fill out the form at the link below and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGF4UVJ5UmpZLUhzX0dMNEotSEljTXc6MQ

Ignorance is only blissful for the ignorant.  The rest of us have to put up with you idiots.

"A christian telling an atheist he is going to hell is about as scary as a small child telling an adult they won't get any presents from santa." - R. Gervais

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1055 on: October 02, 2012, 09:00:03 AM »

Media matter is unbiased.  That being said go look at the quotes.  If would would have prefered the article the Washington Post printed then I will provide that one.  Ryan said flat out that he hasn't run the numbers on his own budget.  Go to the link and you will see the video of it.

Ok I just did some research on media matters.  Apprently it does lean progressive, but I see nothing wrong with that as many on here cite fox news which is a regressive news organization.

LOL!  Totally unbiased.  Hilarious!

Do you do stand up comedy also?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1056 on: October 02, 2012, 09:09:39 AM »

The Last Word - Fox News' bad news for Romney

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1057 on: October 02, 2012, 10:25:41 AM »

Early Indication That Romney's Problems are Far Worse Than Expected

marilyn.monroe

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1058 on: October 02, 2012, 10:27:18 AM »

LOL!  Totally unbiased.  Hilarious!

Do you do stand up comedy also?
I do! :D

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1059 on: October 02, 2012, 10:29:35 AM »

'Under The Bus' Gymnastics: Romney's Tough Talk on Israel Betrayed By Events Last Week

jbs49238

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1060 on: October 02, 2012, 05:24:56 PM »

Media Matters is just as unbiased as Fox News.

jbs49238

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1061 on: October 02, 2012, 05:31:13 PM »

I am guessing if you pulled up Barack Obama's campaign contributors you would see many of the same names.

It is called hedging your bets.

X2. 

Forsythia

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1062 on: October 03, 2012, 12:45:01 PM »

What are the details of Willard Romneys economic plan and how does he plan to pay for it?  I would like a conservative to answer this for me.  In addition how will Willard Romneys medicare plan effect senior citizens?

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1063 on: October 03, 2012, 12:58:11 PM »

What are the details of Willard Romneys economic plan and how does he plan to pay for it?  I would like a conservative to answer this for me.  In addition how will Willard Romneys medicare plan effect senior citizens?

http://www.mittromney.com/blogs/mitts-view/2012/08/mitt-romneys-plan-stronger-middle-class01

Enjoy.

I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Forsythia

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1064 on: October 03, 2012, 01:07:25 PM »

I read it and there are no hard numbers on who he would tax.  In addition there's no mention of how medicare would work.  Thr mumbers I read said that under the Ryan plan we would have over 72 million people uninsured.

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 115   Go Up