MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Kwame update

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Kwame update  (Read 19081 times)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Kwame update
« on: September 01, 2012, 03:08:25 PM »

Kwame Kilpatrick prosecution features 10 witnesses with felony convictions

DETROIT — Ten witnesses set to testify against former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and his co-defendants in a federal corruption case scheduled to begin in September are convicted felons.

Some were friends; others former aides.

Some did their time or remain imprisoned; others are awaiting sentencing, the harshness of which could be softened depending on the level of their cooperation with prosecutors.

But Kilpatrick has said, regardless of the company he has kept — friends, contractors,  employees and business acquaintances convicted of bribery, extortion and tax evasion — the indictment against him for corruption while in public office are "ridiculous" and "irresponsible."

"I have never stole a damn dime in my life from anybody," Kilpatrick said during a question-and-answer session with the Society of Black Journalists on Aug. 16. "Is there's corruption in government? Yes there is. But was I corrupt? Absolutely not..."
The names of the 10 witnesses for the prosecution with felony convictions, as reported by the Detroit Free Press, are: Derrick Miller, DeDan Milton, Kandia Milton, Emma Bell, James R. Rosendall Jr., Marc Andre Cunningham, Karl Kado, Lou Pavledes, Jon Rutherford and Wilbourne Kelley III.

While earning an annual salary ranging from $158,000 to $176,000 as the mayor of Detroit during his tenure from 2002 to 2008, Kilpatrick also used other means to enrich his bank account, federal prosecutors allege.
He evaded taxes and spent funds raised by the Kwame Kilpatrick Civic Fund, which operated under the guise of a nonprofit, on campaigns, rental cars, summer camps for his children, debugging equipment, birthday parties, gifts to relatives, travel and a crisis manager, a 19-count indictment against him claims.
Along with father Bernard Kilpatrick, friend and city contractor Bobby Ferguson and former Detroit water and sewer manager Victor Mercado, Kwame Kilpatrick faces further charges of operating an illegal criminal enterprise involving extortion, accepting bribes amd kickbacks, mail and wire fraud, contract rigging, obstructing justice and making malicious threats to extort money, the complaint says.

Jury selection for the federal case against Kwame Kilpatrick begins on Sept. 6.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2012/08/kwame_kilpatrick_prosecution_f.html
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Re: Kwame update
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 03:10:13 PM »

Would be interesting to be on this jury

Hopefully it doesn't drag out forever so He can work on that new prison weight loss program  ;D
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 03:35:35 PM »

Thanks for starting the thread.....this is not a lame subject, but few probably care.   ;)

Oh..WOW, to have been selected for this jury.  I doubt I could have made it through the screening process without shouting "Hang the dirty, rotten basterd!"

Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 06:39:15 PM »

I'm a little worried about this trial.  Obama's Justice Departments batting average is not very high lately.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 06:52:12 PM »

I'm a little worried about this trial.  Obama's Justice Departments batting average is not very high lately.

So am I! 

What an injustice this would be if he gets off taking into account the amount of solid evidence the Feds seem to have.

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 07:03:43 PM »

Kwame knows whats going on.  He spoke in Toledo recently and the Blade quoted him as saying he will not be going to jail for anything.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 07:09:25 PM »

The taxpayers are paying for multiple lawyers to defend him, even as he and his family enjoy a great lifestyle in Texas.  He will have to live to be 1000 to pay back Detroit for what he was court ordered, let alone what he actually took.

I would not be surprised if the fine residents of Detroit wouldn't re-elect him if they got the opportunity.

How many decades now has Detroit been a corrupt cesspool for now?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 10:19:29 PM »

"I would not be surprised if the fine residents of Detroit wouldn't re-elect him if they got the opportunity"

No suprise at all.  In fact, I'd wager that if he could run, those idiots in Detroit would kick Dave Bing to the curb in an instant.

I've had the honor of meeting and working with Dave Bing a few years back.  He's a standup guy and deserves better than Detriot can offer.

I know what Kwame needs but I can't say on here........................
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 10:41:19 PM »

I know what Kwame needs but I can't say on here........................

Does it involve the now retired Club Gitmo Water Works kit?
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 11:52:12 AM »

With ethylene glycol instead of water.............

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 06:56:15 PM »

Race cards flying faster than a Euchre game.

Even selecting the jury has become a circus...guess it was to be expected.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/detroit/frustration-grows-for-attorneys-in--corruption-trial-jury-selection

DETROIT (WXYZ) - Several attorneys in the Kilpatrick corruption trial were clearly frustrated as jury selection continued today.  Judge Nancy Edmunds took over the majority of the questioning – only allowing the lawyers to ask limited follow up questions.

“In federal court it’s very common for the judge to do most of the questioning in voir dire, during jury selection.  However in a case of this magnitude, it is not common. In a case of this magnitude typically the attorneys are allowed to ask questions.  But it may be that the judge is concerned that the questioning is going a little bit too far,” said Channel 7 Jury Selection Legal Analyst Anthony Chambers.

Former Detroit mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, his father Bernard Kilpatrick, his long time friend Bobby Ferguson, and ex-Detroit Water Department Director Victor Mercado are all charged with racketeering – accused of running a criminal enterprise out of city hall.

Forty jurors have been qualified so far, 10 of them are African American.  One potential juror is currently missing and has not reported to the court.

Questions about race and affirmative action continue to play a major role, as the judge tries to establish a pool of 66 jurors.  One man said he had strong feelings on Affirmative Action, because his daughter was once up for a scholarship that was awarded to an African American student instead.  Kilpatrick seemed visibly annoyed with some of the man’s answers – but the man stayed in the jury pool.

Ferguson defense lawyer Mike Rataj says the lawyers appreciate it when the jurors share their true feelings.

“One gentleman said my father was a racist, and we were kind of raised [like that], and I am not like that now… so these are honest answers and that’s what we want.   We want people to be honest, you can’t criticize them for being honest,” said Rataj.

One African American woman had said on her questionnaire that she felt Kilpatrick had done a lot for the city of Detroit, but she also thought that he quote  “probably messed it up for another young black person to become mayor again.”

At one point she told federal prosecutors that she could not come to a guilty verdict – but it appeared she was confused by the question, because she later changed her answer to say if the government met it’s burden of proof, she could decide on a guilty verdict.

Meanwhile, the juror’s personal opinions of the former mayor continue to be examined – especially questions about what impression they have of Kilpatrick after all of the media coverage.

“Once they’re sworn in as a juror, no matter what they’re opinion is, they’ve got to put that to the side, and they’ve got to decide the evidence.  It’s not really about their opinion, it’s about the evidence.  And does the evidence substantiate the allegations in this case or not, and if they don’t – he should be acquitted,” said Chambers.

Also today, an African-American jury candidate told the court that he believes blacks are unfairly targeted by law enforcement agencies, citing a friend of his who he said was frequently pulled-over by police for no apparent reason. The friend was ultimately jailed.

The potential juror insisted those feelings would not interfere with his view of the prosecution's case against Kilpatrick, saying he "believes in accountability" and would not hesitate to convict any of the defendants.

That possible juror was moved on to the next round of selection, as was a white juror who said he resented affirmative action programs that give minorities preferences over others.  He said his daughter was passed up for a scholarship that ultimately went to an African-American student, which he felt was unfair.

Defense attorneys quizzed the middle-aged man about his feelings on this issue, since they will be pointing out in court that defendant Bobby Ferguson benefited from his company's minority status to receive a benefit in the city's bidding process.  The potential juror said he could put aside his feelings about affirmative action when weighing the merits of this case.

During a break in questioning this morning, Kwame Kilpatrick was greeted by a supporter who came to wish him well in court.

After shaking his hand and thanking him for coming, Kilpatrick smiled.

"I need you in there," he said.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 07:59:32 PM »

Race cards flying faster than a Euchre game.

The Race card would have to work better then the truth.  What other defense can Kwame use, the "It's Crazy" defense?
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 11:16:47 PM »

The clown needs 20 years and a large supply of soap on a rope. ;D

.....and incidentially, his employer who remains quietly on the sidelines while paying for everything Kwame wants because of the favoritism he showed him (when he was mayor) sholuld be incarcerated as well and given another supply of soap on a rope.....
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 11:19:42 PM by SidecarFlip »

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 06:13:09 PM »

Let the disgust and entertainment begin early tomorrow.  Opening arguments start.

Can GO BLUE be changed for the trial duration as GO PROSECUTION!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 07:36:23 PM »

Let the disgust and entertainment begin early tomorrow.  Opening arguments start.

Can GO BLUE be changed for the trial duration as GO PROSECUTION!

Go Prosecution!  Please no DEFENSE chants for the next several months!
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up