MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Down

Author Topic: Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association  (Read 13542 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association
« Reply #195 on: May 26, 2019, 10:17:44 AM »

If you want that get an electric car.

Full Torque right off the line.

Awesome good fun.

My cousin has a Tesla X.  The AWD SUV.  What a hoot, I've driven it.  Good fun until the battery gets low....

Of course with the X, charging (at a Supercharger station) is always free.  Goes like hell, makes no sound, very comfortable and costs north of 100 grand.  Just what I need....  not.

Problem with electric cars or any plug in be it a chainsaw or cordless drill is, the electric grid in this country is incapable of supporting the venue and all the 'Greenies' fail to realize where that 'clean energy' really comes from, let alone how it gets to your plug in whatever.  All greenies see is the end result, not the mechanics of it.

It may work now but in the future, without massive investment in grid upgrades and power generation, it will fail and fail miserably.

Lets see..  You can charge you plug in but your home is suffering brown outs because of the overtaxed grid.  Simple choice for me.  Won't own one at any price.

I see VW is converting one of their German plants to entirely plug in vehicles.  330,000 units a year.  I look at that as a piss poor investment strategy but then VW has made some poor corporate decisions in the past.  Electric motors belong in washing machines, not cars.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #196 on: May 26, 2019, 10:46:01 AM »

upgrade the grid you say.  The greenies are wanting all the coal fired and nuclear plants shut down.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #197 on: May 26, 2019, 04:42:09 PM »

I see VW is converting one of their German plants to entirely plug in vehicles.  330,000 units a year.  I look at that as a piss poor investment strategy but then VW has made some poor corporate decisions in the past.  Electric motors belong in washing machines, not cars.

We have two in the fleet right now.

Fun to drive - and I don't miss buying gas.  Newest one has pretty well taken out the range anxiety around town.

Only big downsides - the State rapes you for your license plate - and you really need at least one "gas" car in your "fleet" for the occasional road trip.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #198 on: May 26, 2019, 08:46:48 PM »

Someday they may invent some way of sending electrical current thru the air kind of like WiFi.  You can be charging while you drive..

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #199 on: May 26, 2019, 10:24:06 PM »

Someday they may invent some way of sending electrical current thru the air kind of like WiFi.  You can be charging while you drive..

My wife wouldn't even consider any property that was within sight of high tension power lines.

I can't imagine what she would think of a powered road or sending it through the air the way Tesla envisioned - and I'm not talking about Elon Musks money losing car company.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #200 on: May 27, 2019, 10:31:53 AM »

My wife wouldn't even consider any property that was within sight of high tension power lines.

I can't imagine what she would think of a powered road or sending it through the air the way Tesla envisioned - and I'm not talking about Elon Musks money losing car company.

I not so fondly remember snowmobiling up by Kalkaska and riding up under the power lines, the trail put you pretty close to the wires at some places.  You could feel the juice in the wires in your body and hear it humming, not a comforting feeling or sound so I'm with your wife, no power lines for me.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #201 on: May 27, 2019, 10:35:23 AM »

upgrade the grid you say.  The greenies are wanting all the coal fired and nuclear plants shut down.

Ain't gonna happen.  Greenies are stupid.  Renewable energy (solar and wind) are not sustainable or reliable.

Greenies never look at where it originates from, just the end result.  So you look enviromentally correct driving your plug in car but in reality the juice comes with a price...pollution.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #202 on: May 27, 2019, 10:36:02 AM »

We have two in the fleet right now.

Fun to drive - and I don't miss buying gas.  Newest one has pretty well taken out the range anxiety around town.

Only big downsides - the State rapes you for your license plate - and you really need at least one "gas" car in your "fleet" for the occasional road trip.

You can keep them.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #203 on: May 27, 2019, 11:28:47 AM »

I've never seen the inside of a Tesla although I'm told i can fit several sets of clubs in one... :)

My question is how does all the windmills get their power to the grid...  underground wires?
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #204 on: May 27, 2019, 12:52:40 PM »

I've never seen the inside of a Tesla although I'm told i can fit several sets of clubs in one... :)

My question is how does all the windmills get their power to the grid...  underground wires?

You have a buck thirty laying around you want to invest in something that will be a dinosaur in 5 years?  Go for it.  Roomy inside (least my Cousin's is).  He's got the limited edition model, all carbon fiber and leather inside.  Pretty snazzy for a washing machine...  not for me.

Far as wind turbines go, each unit has it's own transformer and the feed out wires are buried and centralized at some point where they have a step up substation that feeds the grid.  Problem with wind turbines is, they have to turn at a specific RPM to generate useable power and when the wind isn't blowing, they become an expensive rock.  They also have blocking diodes so the grid tie won't backfeed the turbine when it's not turning or turning at less than output RPM.

The other issue is, wind turbines are not maintenance free.  On the contrary, the mechanicals need serviced regularly.  From the blades the motion is fed into a gearbox and then into a generator plus all the electronic associated with feathering the blades and positioning the turbine to catch the wind, pretty complex actually.

That big house up there is crammed with stuff and someone has to climb up there to service it, regularly.  Ain't gonna be me, I'm scared of heights.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #205 on: May 27, 2019, 02:07:11 PM »

In 50 years they’ll be saying boy this’d coal fired and nuclear plants were pretty efficient and rather cheap to run

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #206 on: May 27, 2019, 04:46:06 PM »

In 50 years they’ll be saying boy this’d coal fired and nuclear plants were pretty efficient and rather cheap to run
Neither of us will be here to concern ourselves with stupid.

Wind power, while better than solar will never replace conventional fossil fired plants or Nuclear for that matter.  It's all about the'feel good' thing.  One thing that people don't take into account is the rank pollution from Li-Ion battery making.  Batteries are an extremely dirty and pollution intensive industry.  But who care because it's 'green'.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #207 on: May 27, 2019, 05:57:33 PM »

“Green” is not about energy anyway.  Green is about power. Power for the Democrats

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #208 on: May 27, 2019, 08:52:17 PM »

“Green” is not about energy anyway.  Green is about power. Power for the Democrats

Actually, 'green' is about AOC, just ask her.  Her 'Green New Deal would bankrupt America.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Up