MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Parenting > Thoughts on effort to keep both Monroe County S/O deputies in Bedford Schools?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on effort to keep both Monroe County S/O deputies in Bedford Schools?  (Read 3059 times)

miked918

• New Talker
    • Mike's Points blog

Sorry for the bit of self-promo post after a bit of an absence...but am curious as to the community thoughts on the effort in Bedford Township to raise money to keep both sheriff's liaison officers in the schools?

I know at least a couple county school districts have cut their officers for budget reasons. Bedford did the same but my wife and a friend started BSP CARES (long acronym, sorry). It's a grassroots effort to raise $80,000/year for three years to keep *both* officers in the schools. For reference, here's a link to a BSP CARES news release https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bw3j2xgUl43edFppYjI3Y2c5bW8 about what's needed to reach the halfway point and keep both deputies in the schools through the end of December.

Are you familiar with the effort?

What do you think of it?

Has anything similar been started in the other districts?
-Mike
A PR pro with early roots in journalism. To learn more about me, check out:
Blog: http://www.mikespoints.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/mikedriehorst
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikedriehorst

sammy

• Hero Talker

Sorry for the bit of self-promo post after a bit of an absence...but am curious as to the community thoughts on the effort in Bedford Township to raise money to keep both sheriff's liaison officers in the schools?

I know at least a couple county school districts have cut their officers for budget reasons. Bedford did the same but my wife and a friend started BSP CARES (long acronym, sorry). It's a grassroots effort to raise $80,000/year for three years to keep *both* officers in the schools. For reference, here's a link to a BSP CARES news release https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bw3j2xgUl43edFppYjI3Y2c5bW8 about what's needed to reach the halfway point and keep both deputies in the schools through the end of December.

Are you familiar with the effort?

What do you think of it?

Has anything similar been started in the other districts?
-Mike
As an older person who managed to get through school without ever seeing a police person my school, why do we need police persons in our schools, and if we do why do we need special money for it? We pay taxes for police protection, so if it's necessary in our schools, why is it a special need ,in need of special funding?

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker

As an older person who managed to get through school without ever seeing a police person my school, why do we need police persons in our schools, and if we do why do we need special money for it? We pay taxes for police protection, so if it's necessary in our schools, why is it a special need ,in need of special funding?
It pains me to say this but I agree.
It's a waste of money and it makes the kids feel like criminals.
The zero-tolerance discipline is insane as well but that's another issue.
Wasn't that long ago when a 6 year old had to be cuffed because she threw a tantrum:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57415156-504083/six-year-old-girl-handcuffed-and-arrested-for-throwing-tantrum-at-georgia-elementary-school/

It seems the OP should've posted here:
http://www.bedfordnow.com/
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker

What do you think of it?

I think Dale Malone was a liaison officer during his career.

I would have to think he knows the importance of the presence in the schools.

Have you talked to candidate Malone to get his take / suggestions?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!

I had never heard of cops in schools until I moved up here.  Granted I lived in mostly smaller rural communities, but never heard of it.

Ridiculous in my mind, but thought there must be some sort of history here that warranted it.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker

Sure...school cafeteria fights.

Total BS.

Law Enforcement could be better utilized in the field.

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Edited to add:

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!

LOL, really?  That is absurd!  I just assumed there had been some serious problems that started the practice.  Geezopete!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker

No, that was recent.
Don't know how the practice started.
I assume some sort of bribery...or maybe the school boards feared reprisals from those making the proposal since law enforcement is capable of doing many things.
Of course the Chicken Littles will appear with what COULD happen...but even if the placement were free...it's still not a healthy relationship between LE and the children...more of a prison guard type thing. Not good.

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Collegekid

• Hero Talker
  • Doing the impossible makes us mighty.

I cover several communities that lost their Liason officers, and guess what, nothing bad happened. We had one while I attended BHS, I don't see where it did anything major for us. Especially at BHS, where the Bedford substation is so close if there is a problem.
http://daveherndon.blogspot.com/

You believe in life after death, I believe in death after life

I swear it upon Zeus; an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.

- Socrates

Non Illegitimati Carborundum

"Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they are going to collapse. But the very best know the mind tires before the body and push themselves further and further, beyond all limits. Only when these limits are shattered can the unattainable be reached."

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker

I cover several communities that lost their Liason officers, and guess what, nothing bad happened. We had one while I attended BHS, I don't see where it did anything major for us. Especially at BHS, where the Bedford substation is so close if there is a problem.

Nothing YOU saw happened.

There is plenty of things going on in your average school that require law enforcement.  I think the theory is to catch them young when you can still rehabilitate them.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!

LOL, that almost sounded Leftist MN!   ;D

blue2

• Hero Talker

I don't know anything about what goes on in BHS with the officers other than some hearsay about programs they are involved in and actual classroom participation.  I'm sure they can scare some kids off but there are some that just know they can outsmart the cops.  Not to show my age by we had discipline from the teacher and the principal and if it was a really bad deal our parents were informed.  It wasn't pretty.  Today, some parents are at school if a teacher gives a kid a sharp look.  if they threaten the kid the lawyer is the next guy to call.

pam

• Hero Talker

What happened to the days of the mean old hall monitor lady patrolling the school? I've been out of school for 10 years now and I don't ever remember even seeing an officer unless they were putting on a DARE presentation or camping outside the school to catch the occasional idiot who thought it was cool to peel out of the lot. I guess I don't consider Monroe or southern Wayne county (where I went to school) an area that warrants a police presence.

Another vote against the zero tolerance policies. I just can't figure out when common sense got replaced by rigid rules. You know things have reached an all time low when a school asks a deaf child's parents to change his name's sign because of their gun policy. Ridiculous!

Professor H

• Hero Talker

What happened to the days of the mean old hall monitor lady patrolling the school?

<snip>...

I just can't figure out when common sense got replaced by rigid rules.

To answer you this you have to go back further when Discipline was taken out of the schools.  You didn't have problems until the Liberals created a system where accountability for actions wasn't taken into consideration.

School liaison (police) do a lot more than what the general public are aware of. 
(Done properly)
They build relationships with the students through networking.
They provide prevention in several means, by intervention or presence
They are eyes and ears to keep drugs and violence off campus
They work with the court system and students in that setting
Campus Security

Having said all that - it's the cost that is the issue, as neither the Sheriff or Schools really have extra funding for these positions.   Their may be some hybrid type position created in the future - they seem to think police can be firefighters - so why not a counselor?
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Monique

• Hero Talker

To answer you this you have to go back further when Discipline was taken out of the schools.  You didn't have problems until the Liberals created a system where accountability for actions wasn't taken into consideration.

School liaison (police) do a lot more than what the general public are aware of. 
(Done properly)
They build relationships with the students through networking.
They provide prevention in several means, by intervention or presence
They are eyes and ears to keep drugs and violence off campus
They work with the court system and students in that setting
Campus Security

I disagree with your statement that Liberals created a discipline problem in schools. Too many parents are lazy and don't properly train their children to have respect nor hold them accountable at home. These parents rely on other people to do their dirty work, and that's why we have discipline problems in schools.

In the current schools I'm familiar with, there's still a discipline structure that holds kids accountable, but instead of getting a paddling from the principal like when I was a kid, the school expects the parents to deliver the discipline, and rightly so. I would have a big problem with someone physically punishing my kid! But tell me they're misbehaving, and I will most certainly handle the situation.

I agree with you that a Liaison Officer is a wonderful thing to have in a school, particularly a large high school. Their mere presence can be a deterrent to a lot of 'shenanigans.' With all the school violence these days, I'd rather err on the safer side. I've mentioned this before, but Sargent Campbell was well loved and well respected at Monroe High back in the '80s, and we never had the violence or trouble MHS experiences now.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up