MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > US ambassador killed in consulate attack in Libya

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: US ambassador killed in consulate attack in Libya  (Read 20737 times)

Baggins

• Hero Talker
US ambassador killed in consulate attack in Libya
« on: September 12, 2012, 10:05:26 AM »

Hold on to your butts, this might get bumpy... :-\

TRIPOLI, Libya (AP) - The U.S. ambassador to Libya and three other Americans were killed in an attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi by protesters angry over a film that ridiculed Islam's Prophet Muhammad.

Ambassador Chris Stevens, 52, died as he and a group of embassy employees went to the consulate to try to evacuate staff as the building came under attack by a mob firing machine-guns and rocket-propelled grenades. He was the first U.S. ambassador to be killed in the line of duty since 1979.

President Barack Obama ordered increased security to protect American diplomatic personnel around world. "I strongly condemn the outrageous attack on our diplomatic facility in Benghazi," Obama said, adding the four Americans "exemplified America's commitment to freedom, justice, and partnership with nations and people around the globe."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20120912/DA1891AG2.html

All this violence over a film people...Seriously... ???
How ignorant is that, you can't claim to be of a peaceful religion and then go off your nut with machine guns... :o
"Praise not the day until evening has come,
 A sword until it is tried,
 A maiden until she is married,
 Ice until it has been crossed,
 Beer until it has been drunk!" - (Viking proverb)

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
Re: US ambassador killed in consulate attack in Libya
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 10:57:35 AM »

Before the rally, the private Al Nas television channel, run by Salafists, played some of the video posted on YouTube, which a host and a commentator said insulted Islam. The video shown on the channel refers to Muhammad and his followers as "child lovers." It also shows the prophet speaking to a supposed Muslim donkey, asking him whether he loves women.

The channel's enraged host and a commentator then demanded to know how Islam could be treated in such a debasing way.

The video has been promoted online by Florida preacher Terry Jones, whose 2011 burning of a Koran triggered riots in Afghanistan. In a statement, Jones called the assault on the embassy in Egypt proof that Muslims "have no tolerance for anything outside of Muhammad."
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2012/09/us-ambassador-killed-libya.html

I'm surprised they haven't assassinated that "preacher" Terry Jones moron yet.

U.S. Marines Headed To Tripoli As Reinforcements
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Baggins

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 11:05:31 AM »

Mohammad was a pedophile...His favorite wife was 6 years old...Go ahead, look it up...!

"Praise not the day until evening has come,
 A sword until it is tried,
 A maiden until she is married,
 Ice until it has been crossed,
 Beer until it has been drunk!" - (Viking proverb)

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 12:09:01 PM »

Mohammad was a pedophile...His favorite wife was 6 years old...Go ahead, look it up...!

Watch it - don't say anything bad about Mohammad or the peaceful Muslims might kill some more Americans.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 12:22:11 PM »

Watch it - don't say anything bad about Mohammad or the peaceful Muslims might kill some more Americans.

"Peaceful Muslims"...  what an oxymoron.
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

Forsythia

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 12:30:16 PM »

"Peaceful Muslims"...  what an oxymoron.

I know a lot of peacful Muslims.  I also know of a lot of violent christians.  There are whackos in every religion not just the one you don't believe in.
For those who have problems with my posts, please feel free to fill out the form at the link below and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGF4UVJ5UmpZLUhzX0dMNEotSEljTXc6MQ

Ignorance is only blissful for the ignorant.  The rest of us have to put up with you idiots.

"Prayer is nothing more than bargain basement anger." A. LaVey

"A christian telling an atheist he is going to hell is about as scary as a small child telling an adult they won't get any presents from santa." - R. Gervais

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 12:45:35 PM »

I know a lot of peacful Muslims.  I also know of a lot of violent christians.  There are whackos in every religion not just the one you don't believe in.

I will buy your statement.

However lets put it in perspective with a little quiz.

1.  What was the religion of the individuals who bombed the World Trade Center in 1993?
2.  What was the religion of the individuals who carried out the 9/11 attacks on the United States?
3.  What was the religion of the individuals who attacked the USS Cole?
4.  What was the religion of the Fort Hood shooter?
5.  What is the religion of Iran and Saudi Arabia?
6.  How many other religions are free to openly worship their God in Iran and Saudi Arabia?
7.  What happens to people who try to preach Christianity in Iran?
8.  How is the religion of Ahmajenidad (President of Iran) who openly vows to destroy a neighboring country?

Why do we keep pretending that the people who did all these things belong to a peaceful Religion?

Please fell free to come up with a list of acts that Christians have done to post up here to show how radical and violent we are.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Forsythia

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 12:54:52 PM »

Hmmm abortion clinic bombings.  The Crusades.  That should cover it 10 fold.

As for the rest of your statements, have you actually done any research on Islam or are you just going by what you hear?  Having known some Muslims, and doing independant research, I can tell you that it is a peaceful religion and the extremeists are taking certain passages out of context just like Christians do regarding the discrimination and beating of homosexuals.

If you have any questions about Islam I would gladly explain it to you with the knowledge I have.
For those who have problems with my posts, please feel free to fill out the form at the link below and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGF4UVJ5UmpZLUhzX0dMNEotSEljTXc6MQ

Ignorance is only blissful for the ignorant.  The rest of us have to put up with you idiots.

"A christian telling an atheist he is going to hell is about as scary as a small child telling an adult they won't get any presents from santa." - R. Gervais

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 01:05:45 PM »

Hmmm abortion clinic bombings.  The Crusades.  That should cover it 10 fold.

As for the rest of your statements, have you actually done any research on Islam or are you just going by what you hear?  Having known some Muslims, and doing independant research, I can tell you that it is a peaceful religion and the extremeists are taking certain passages out of context just like Christians do regarding the discrimination and beating of homosexuals.

If you have any questions about Islam I would gladly explain it to you with the knowledge I have.

Yes, I have in fact read and studied about Islam.

Let me offer you an opportunity.

I will pay ALL your expenses for a nice trip to Iran.  I hear it is a beautiful country according to several friends I have that used to live there - but had to leave during the 1970's because they were Christian and wanted to continue being alive.

All I ask you to do is go to the main square in town and hand out 1000 Bibles that I will pay for.  That shouldn't take more then an hour or two, and you can spend the rest of the trip doing whatever you want to.

If you are willing I would GLADLY fund this trip so you can explore how peaceful a fundamentalist Muslim regime can be.

Now - if you don't like planes I will make the same offer for you to go up to Dearborn during their next Arab Festival to do the same thing.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Forsythia

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 01:33:29 PM »

If you are willing I would GLADLY fund this trip so you can explore how peaceful a fundamentalist Muslim regime can be.

You just defeated your own argument right there.  ANY religious fundamentalist is a dangerous person.

If you would like though, I will gladly take you up on your offer for a trip to Iran.  Actually I would prefer the Gaza Strip, but I'll take what I can get.  Maybe I can help out the people in Iran who are protesting their fundamentalist leaders and love America.

ussoccer26

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 01:35:39 PM »

Yes, I have in fact read and studied about Islam.

Let me offer you an opportunity.

I will pay ALL your expenses for a nice trip to Iran.  I hear it is a beautiful country according to several friends I have that used to live there - but had to leave during the 1970's because they were Christian and wanted to continue being alive.

All I ask you to do is go to the main square in town and hand out 1000 Bibles that I will pay for.  That shouldn't take more then an hour or two, and you can spend the rest of the trip doing whatever you want to.

Now - if you don't like planes I will make the same offer for you to go up to Dearborn during their next Arab Festival to do the same thing.

What the middle east has is no different than how the west was 100 years ago. Religous intolerance and using religion as a tool to control the people is nothing new to anyone.

Islam itself isn't the problem, it's the governments and organizations(Al Qaeda) that twist and use religion to achieve their own goals. That can happen anywhere when you have the perfect enviroment.
Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition.

Forsythia

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 01:43:41 PM »

What the middle east has is no different than how the west was 100 years ago. Religous intolerance and using religion as a tool to control the people is nothing new to anyone.

Islam itself isn't the problem, it's the governments and organizations(Al Qaeda) that twist and use religion to achieve their own goals. That can happen anywhere when you have the perfect enviroment.

Excellent post!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 01:53:20 PM »

You just defeated your own argument right there.  ANY religious fundamentalist is a dangerous person.

If you would like though, I will gladly take you up on your offer for a trip to Iran.  Actually I would prefer the Gaza Strip, but I'll take what I can get.  Maybe I can help out the people in Iran who are protesting their fundamentalist leaders and love America.

I will respectfully withdraw my offer, I really don't want to see you strung up.

I agree that ANYTHING taken to extremes is a bad thing.

I am not willing to pretend, however, that it is just a small minority of Muslims that are extreme fundamentalists.  The Koran goes into detail on how to behave from the infancy stage, to as the religion grows, to when they are the majority, to excluding tolerance for all other forms of religion.

To deny that is ludicrous - because you can go around the world and see various countries that are in the various stages, and how the Muslims behave and treat those around them.

Using a movie made in the US as a pretense to attack embassies and killing an ambassador and his staff is just an example of the latter stages of the peaceful Muslim religion.  I say pretense because yesterday was CELEBRATE 9/11 day - though I didn't see much coverage of that in the media.  The movie was just an excuse for the attack - to pretend that they were somehow provoked, and their actions were somehow justified.

We live in a culture / society that pushes tolerance.  We shouldn't make the mistake of assigning our motives and values to others that don't share our belief system. 

I will not apologize for not believing that the Muslim religion is a threat to our way of life.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Forsythia

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 02:07:35 PM »

I will respectfully withdraw my offer, I really don't want to see you strung up.

I agree that ANYTHING taken to extremes is a bad thing.

I am not willing to pretend, however, that it is just a small minority of Muslims that are extreme fundamentalists.  The Koran goes into detail on how to behave from the infancy stage, to as the religion grows, to when they are the majority, to excluding tolerance for all other forms of religion.

To deny that is ludicrous - because you can go around the world and see various countries that are in the various stages, and how the Muslims behave and treat those around them.

Using a movie made in the US as a pretense to attack embassies and killing an ambassador and his staff is just an example of the latter stages of the peaceful Muslim religion.  I say pretense because yesterday was CELEBRATE 9/11 day - though I didn't see much coverage of that in the media.  The movie was just an excuse for the attack - to pretend that they were somehow provoked, and their actions were somehow justified.

We live in a culture / society that pushes tolerance.  We shouldn't make the mistake of assigning our motives and values to others that don't share our belief system. 

I will not apologize for not believing that the Muslim religion is a threat to our way of life.

I'm dead serious.  I would love a trip to the Middle East.  My brother was in Bahrain and said the food was amazing.

So Sharia Law is not ok but Levitican Law is?

If you look at American Muslims they take a very moderate point of view of their religion and understand that the Jihad of conversion is not a major Jihad.  The first Jihad is in ones self to be more like Muhammad.  It's the same believe that a lot of Christians have.  They believe that acting as Jesus would is more important than converting people to Christianity.

Flanders

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 02:16:56 PM »

How was the embassy not defended?? Marines vs Mob??

I'd sure like to know the details..
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Up