MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Religion & Philosophy > Mormonism Does NOT Follow the Jesus of the Bible

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Mormonism Does NOT Follow the Jesus of the Bible  (Read 8238 times)

Forsythia

• Hero Talker
Mormonism Does NOT Follow the Jesus of the Bible
« on: September 26, 2012, 07:06:46 AM »

I just thought that I would post a link to an Ex-Mormon Scholor to show how the Mormon religion is not a Christian religion. I will be posting more on the abuses of the church against women at a later time.

Bernard P. Brockbank, in the LDS Church's 147th General Conference, said that the CHRIST FOLLOWED BY THE MORMONS IS NOT THE CHRIST FOLLOWED BY TRADITIONAL CHRISTIANITY; he said:

"... It is true that many of the Christian churches worship A DIFFERENT JESUS CHRIST than is worshipped by the Mormons..." ("The Ensign," May 1977, p. 26.)

In summary, Jesus of the LDS Church is not Jesus of the Bible. God of the LDS Church is not God of the Bible. Joseph Smith said that there is "A GOD ABOVE THE FATHER OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST..." and in Mormon Doctrine, pages 332-323, we read: "...If Jesus Christ was the Son of God, and ... God the Father of Jesus Christ had a Father, you may suppose that he had a Father also. Where was there ever a son without a father? ...Hence if Jesus had a Father, can we not believe that he had a Father also?" Joseph Smith, in 1844, as recorded in the Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pages 344-347, first told the audience that: "...every man has a natural, and, in our country, a constitutional right to be a FALSE PROPHET, as well as a true one..." Then on the next page, he says: "...I am going to tell you how God came to be God. We have imagined and supposed that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea and take away the veil, so that you may see." He tells that "...God himself was once as we are now...and you got to learn how to be Gods yourselves... the same as all Gods have done before you..."

The God of the Bible says: "...Is there a God beside me? Yea, there is no God; I KNOW NOT ANY." (Isa. 44:10) If God had a father and he had a father and so on, God of the Bible surely would know that! In the Bible, God calls us to "know," to "believe" and to "understand" who He is. He says: "Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may KNOW and BELIEVE me, and UNDERSTAND that I am he: BEFORE ME THERE WAS NO GOD FORMED, NEITHER SHALL THERE BE AFTER ME." (Isaiah 43:10) To Joseph Smith and to all Mormons, that simply means: THEY WILL NOT BECOME GODS! They cannot "learn" how to become gods! God of the Bible says so! God says: "I AM THE LORD, AND THERE IS NONE ELSE, THERE IS NO GOD BESIDE ME..." (Isa. 45:5) God tells what happens to the false prophets who try to lead people after other gods: "If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder, and the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them; thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or the dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul. Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him. AND THAT PROPHET, OR THAT DREAMER OF DREAMS, SHALL BE PUT TO DEATH; BECAUSE HE HAD SPOKEN TO TURN YOU AWAY FROM THE LORD YOUR GOD..." (Deut. 13:1-5) It is interesting to note that about six weeks after Joseph Smith had preached this sermon (in April 1844), that men will and can become gods and that God was not God from all eternity, Joseph was killed!! Coincidence?? (Orthodox Jews have a saying: "Coincidence is not a kosher word!")

http://exmormon.org/d6/drupal/whylft50
For those who have problems with my posts, please feel free to fill out the form at the link below and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGF4UVJ5UmpZLUhzX0dMNEotSEljTXc6MQ

Ignorance is only blissful for the ignorant.  The rest of us have to put up with you idiots.

"Prayer is nothing more than bargain basement anger." A. LaVey

"A christian telling an atheist he is going to hell is about as scary as a small child telling an adult they won't get any presents from santa." - R. Gervais

marilyn.monroe

• Hero Talker
Re: Mormonism Does NOT Follow the Jesus of the Bible
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 07:45:27 AM »

Is any Christian religion "Christian"?

Regardless, people are free to choose their own religion.

Forsythia

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 08:00:24 AM »

Yes but I am trying to get peoplr to understand the fundamentals of the religion so they can better understand what they're getting fed by the LDS PR machine.  It's not all butterflies and unicorns.
For those who have problems with my posts, please feel free to fill out the form at the link below and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGF4UVJ5UmpZLUhzX0dMNEotSEljTXc6MQ

Ignorance is only blissful for the ignorant.  The rest of us have to put up with you idiots.

"A christian telling an atheist he is going to hell is about as scary as a small child telling an adult they won't get any presents from santa." - R. Gervais

MM1

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 08:42:06 AM »

OMG!  Now a thread about this? 

What part of "wrong" don't you understand?   ;D ;D ;D

I think it was offered in the Mitt Romney thread that you meet with someone on MT to learn some facts about what you seem to want to know about.

I suggest you take him up on that offer. 

PLEASE take him up on that offer.    8*

Forsythia

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 08:56:10 AM »

I would gladly do it but I suggest you do some research on the LDS belief structure.   I'm sure you'll find it to have many holes.  And yes I will keep posting testimonials about SURVIVORS of the mormon church.   I will use examples from atheists and chriatians alike.

MM1 you're a christian.  I suggest you read the full story of that woman at the link provided.  It's really interesting and gives insight into the history and practices of the LDS.  Did you know that Smith was caught cheating and that's why the vision about pologamy came to him and became church doctrine?  It's true.  Just click the link and learn about the faith you're defending...

MM1

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 09:42:28 AM »

That's good advice.  In fact, I have researched the faith.  In some depth actually, one on one and in person.  I have a copy of The Book of Mormon.  I have not read it cover to cover, but I haven't read the Bible cover to cover either.  I was raised Catholic.  My "faith" is mine.  My relationship with God is mine.  I don't have to explain or excuse it to anyone.  I don't have to defend to what depth I follow a particular religion's "rules" or not.  And I don't expect anyone else to demand that.   

You can find people who will bash any religion, political faction or recipe for that fact.  It's usually the case that you will find what you want to find.   

I have researched it, lived with and around people who live it and have formed my clear and unequivocal opinion that as far as my experience has demonstrated and proven for me, the Mormon faith is not a negative in any way, shape or form.   

You are clearly entitled to your opinion.  Absolutely.  I'm just trying to impart to you that people who live the Mormon life (from my direct experience) does not disqualify them or put their character into any sort of question as you want to imply. 

I'm not trying to pick a fight or drag you into any kind of "winner take all" situation.

You're free to believe what you want.  It's just a shame you want to continue this. 

Carry on.

Baggins

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 09:50:41 AM »

My "faith" is mine.  My relationship with God is mine.  I don't have to explain or excuse it to anyone.  I don't have to defend to what depth I follow a particular religion's "rules" or not.  And I don't expect anyone else to demand that.

The best and only true answer about religion I've seen in a LONG time...
"Praise not the day until evening has come,
 A sword until it is tried,
 A maiden until she is married,
 Ice until it has been crossed,
 Beer until it has been drunk!" - (Viking proverb)

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 10:16:59 AM »

The best and only true answer about religion I've seen in a LONG time...
I agree! That is what the relationship to the Divine boils down to--something intensely personal.

At my last job, I had the pleasure of working with a Mormon man from our Utah plant, and he was the kindest and most helpful person I've ever known.

I will agree that time spent in Utah is like no other; it is a strange landscape and a strange culture to me. Not my cup of tea, for sure.

I also agree that Scientology is called out regularly and no one but Tom Cruise seems to mind, but there's an uproar when any other religion is examined in the same manner, even those with similar qualities.

In my opinion, all religions are cults by definition. The darkness that Forsythia feels is present in all religions; it is the manipulative element, and that's exactly what turns me off to religion in general. I respect individual beliefs as long as they don't interfere with other people. The gentleman I knew from Utah was a beautiful person and he never pushed anything onto anyone, and I highly respect that. He obviously had a great personal relationship with the Divine, and he kept it PERSONAL. I wish everyone could be that way in that regard.

I do find it odd that those on Romney's side howl when anyone mentions his religion, but don't mind a bit when their folks falsely accuse Obama of being a Muslim. And even if he was, being a Muslim is no more "wrong" than being a Mormon or a Catholic or any other religion. People need to play by the same rules on both sides.

Forsythia

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 10:23:41 AM »

MM1 these people are citing historical documents and the changing doctrine of Mormonism.  It's a fact that until 1978 blacks were considered cursed and not allowed into the preisthood.  It is a fact that Smith was kicked out of the Methodist church for his unscrscruplous behavior.  It is a fact that Smith married other mens wives.  It is a fact that the doctrine has changed countless times since the inception of the religion and the beliefs now often contradict Smiths revalations...

Baggins

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 10:30:12 AM »

MM1 these people are citing historical documents and the changing doctrine of Mormonism.  It's a fact that until 1978 blacks were considered cursed and not allowed into the preisthood.  It is a fact that Smith was kicked out of the Methodist church for his unscrscruplous behavior.  It is a fact that Smith married other mens wives.  It is a fact that the doctrine has changed countless times since the inception of the religion and the beliefs now often contradict Smiths revalations...

Yeah, it's all true...So don't be a Mormon if you don't like it...I personally think it's a silly religion, but most are, and most are also motivated and subject to current social and cultural influences.
"Praise not the day until evening has come,
 A sword until it is tried,
 A maiden until she is married,
 Ice until it has been crossed,
 Beer until it has been drunk!" - (Viking proverb)

Forsythia

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 11:08:25 AM »

Hey I'm juat exposoing all the things the cute little LDS commercials dont tell you about.

MM1

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 12:18:07 PM »

I didn't comment on all the "Obama is Muslim" stuff.  I know nothing of the Muslim religion, except what is portayed in VIDEOS and the news.  Could be all true I suppose.    Besides, he denied it (I think).

I DO, however, have something to say about all the hateful stones being thrown at Mitt Romney and/or his religion.

And, btw . . . . how often do you hear Mitt talk about his religion? 

I believe (I could be wrong) that it's all being brought up by dems, etc. in a manner that is intended to cast him as some cult follower/leader and throw him under a bus or down the ravine.   

Like was posted by another poster, any religion will have things that some object to.  And you will find whatever it is you're looking for if you have the demon in your sights.  THAT's an unfortunate fact. 

It's also been made perfectly clear there are those MTers who object to any form or religion and tosses the word "cult" into their opinions.   That's your belief.  That's fine.   I just don't understand why you feel so compelled to continue spinning your wheels to cut and past your "facts"?   It just seems a bit "overkill" to continue posting and pasting article after article on the faults and lies of the Mormon church.(BTW: yes, you're right.  I have not read a single one so you can stop asking if I did)

The Mormon faith is pretty solid and has no indication of going anywhere anytime soon.  Those who don't like it, understand it, accept it, want it, know it . . . . . . then just move on.  You're not required to.   

Mitt Romney is a very respectable man who has not used his faith for one second.  In fact, (as was posted) it's a very personal and private thing.  I believe the publicity has been thrust at him and I find it an invasion of his personal privacy and is politically irrelevant.

(SIDE NOTE:  Kennedy was a Catholic (OLD SCHOOL Catholic at that) with some very definite cracks in his crown, yet he continues into the history books with some sort of awe.  Just something to keep in mind.)

Carry on with your exposing  . . . . . . .   :-\

Forsythia

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 12:32:46 PM »

I didn't comment on all the "Obama is Muslim" stuff.  I know nothing of the Muslim religion, except what is portayed in VIDEOS and the news.  Could be all true I suppose.    Besides, he denied it (I think).

I DO, however, have something to say about all the hateful stones being thrown at Mitt Romney and/or his religion.

Funny, I haven't heard anything of it.  No media outlets are talking about it.  No conservative christian groups are talking about it.  I haven't heard a thing about from ANYONE about Willards religion.

[quoteAnd, btw . . . . how often do you hear Mitt talk about his religion?  [/quote]

He doesn't because he knows it would turn people off from his run for the presidency.

I believe (I could be wrong) that it's all being brought up by dems, etc. in a manner that is intended to cast him as some cult follower/leader and throw him under a bus or down the ravine.

Well I'm not going to say it but......   

Like was posted by another poster, any religion will have things that some object to.  And you will find whatever it is you're looking for if you have the demon in your sights.  THAT's an unfortunate fact.

That's because there's usually a dark side to most religions.  LDS happens to have a lot of bad things going for them.

It's also been made perfectly clear there are those MTers who object to any form or religion and tosses the word "cult" into their opinions.   That's your belief.  That's fine.   I just don't understand why you feel so compelled to continue spinning your wheels to cut and past your "facts"?   It just seems a bit "overkill" to continue posting and pasting article after article on the faults and lies of the Mormon church.(BTW: yes, you're right.  I have not read a single one so you can stop asking if I did)

Per usual you refuse to educate yourself on the subject.  That's fine but I think my tag line applies to this case.  I'm doing it because it's my pet project.  I was debating between Mormons and Scientologists, and since everyone is on the "Scientology is a cult" bandwagon, I figured I'd do some good exposing another religon that had a lot of oddities to it.

The Mormon faith is pretty solid and has no indication of going anywhere anytime soon.  Those who don't like it, understand it, accept it, want it, know it . . . . . . then just move on.  You're not required to.

No but if we can help those trapped then we will.  Unfortunately it has a grip on people and their PR machine doesn't tell the whole story.   

Mitt Romney is a very respectable man who has not used his faith for one second.  In fact, (as was posted) it's a very personal and private thing.  I believe the publicity has been thrust at him and I find it an invasion of his personal privacy and is politically irrelevant.

If Obama had his faith questioned I don't see anything wrong with questioning Willards.  People need to understand his belief system so that they can decide if his morals coincide with theirs.  All I'm doing is shedding light on a very secretive religion.

(SIDE NOTE:  Kennedy was a Catholic (OLD SCHOOL Catholic at that) with some very definite cracks in his crown, yet he continues into the history books with some sort of awe.  Just something to keep in mind.)

Kennedy was a very progressive human being that believed in human rights.  Willard wants to take away womens rights and put the middle class into indentured servitude.   

Carry on with your exposing  . . . . . . .   :-\

I will.  Hell, I might even attempt to join the Mormon church to see things from the inside.  I told my brother yesterday I was thinking about "going dark" and exposing the way the church really treats women.  Then again I'm not sure if the church would be welcoming to a 40-something single female who has never been married.

MM1

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 12:47:09 PM »

You see what you want to see.

Forsythia

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 12:50:56 PM »

Not when it's documented historical fact.  Again, please educate yourself on the history of this religion before defending it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up