MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Parenting > Toddler bed?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Toddler bed?  (Read 2575 times)

AtypicalGirl

• Hero Talker
  • My handsome boy! :)
Toddler bed?
« on: October 16, 2012, 12:58:19 PM »

My baby girl isn't quite a baby anymore, and I'm wondering if I should take the step in transitioning her to a toddler bed.

Thankfully, she has NEVER tried climbing out of her crib. (*knocks on wood*) She loves her bed very much, and I just don't know if I want to take that step since there isn't any sign that I absolutely have to just yet.

For those of you with kids, when did you get them into a toddler bed? What were your reasons?

We have the 3-in-1 cribs for both of the kids, so it's not like we would have to buy a new bed for her, so money isn't the issue.

I guess it's a mixture of wanting to keep her little as long as possible, and the fear of walking into a disaster.  ;D :P

MM1

• Hero Talker
Re: Toddler bed?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 02:11:20 PM »

ATG, take it from me . . . . . there's NOTHING you can do to keep them little!  :(

But I put my son in a bed with siderails as soon as I found he could crawl out of his crib.  I was too afraid he'd fall on his head/face so I made the transition.   I think he was about 18 - 24 mos old.  Somewhere in there.  His room was "child proofed" for any danger, so it was ok. 

Advice to you is you'll know when it's time.  That's the neat part of being Mommy.  You have it in your gut.  Sometimes you don't know till your gut talks to you.  But you have it.   :)

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 05:34:35 PM »

If I recall correctly, we took both of ours out of the crib right around 2 years old and put them in a twin bed with guards.  I hated the cribs....was an awkward height for me to put them in while they were sleeping without occasional back pains.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

AtypicalGirl

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 05:52:27 PM »

ATG, take it from me . . . . . there's NOTHING you can do to keep them little!  :(

Yeah, I think I've figured that out.  :(

Like I said, she hasn't climbed out, or even tried that I know of.

She just turned 2, so that's exactly why I'm thinking about this. I know a lot of people have transitioned their kids when they were about this age, you two included! lol

::sigh::

Skittelroo

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 06:39:53 PM »

My first stayed in her crib until somewhere between 20-24 months, if I remember correctly.   However.........then  there was the boy who started walking at 9 months (unbelievable to me!) and right away began climbing over the side rail.   He quickly was given a bed just so I didn't worry about him tumbling out onto his head.   (Even before he could walk, he climbed anything he could .... I found him sitting on top of the refrigerator (from a chair to the counter and up he went  :o ). 

I'd say as long as they aren't trying to climb out of the crib, the age doesn't matter.   You are such a careful and caring mom, ATG!

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 06:55:57 PM »

I always worried about my little ones getting up in the night, leaving their room, and finding trouble if they had a toddler bed, so I waited until about 3 1/2 for both. They weren't climbers, either, and loved their cozy cribs, so it wasn't a problem. Even when they did get big enough for a bed (my oldest went straight to a low twin), I kept a baby gate up at night so no one could get to the stairs.

Now they have their own 'big kid' loft beds!  :'(

AtypicalGirl

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 07:39:52 PM »

My first stayed in her crib until somewhere between 20-24 months, if I remember correctly.   However.........then  there was the boy who started walking at 9 months (unbelievable to me!) and right away began climbing over the side rail.   He quickly was given a bed just so I didn't worry about him tumbling out onto his head.   (Even before he could walk, he climbed anything he could .... I found him sitting on top of the refrigerator (from a chair to the counter and up he went  :o ). 

I'd say as long as they aren't trying to climb out of the crib, the age doesn't matter.   You are such a careful and caring mom, ATG!

Oh my!!! I don't think I could even imagine my two doing that! lol

And thank you :) You're very sweet, Skitt!

I always worried about my little ones getting up in the night, leaving their room, and finding trouble if they had a toddler bed, so I waited until about 3 1/2 for both. They weren't climbers, either, and loved their cozy cribs, so it wasn't a problem. Even when they did get big enough for a bed (my oldest went straight to a low twin), I kept a baby gate up at night so no one could get to the stairs.

Now they have their own 'big kid' loft beds!  :'(

That is another thing I'm worried about!! She is VERY close to being able to open doors (she opened the bathroom door once, but I think it was a fluke), and I'm afraid she may get into something she shouldn't.

She's not "curious" like other kids I've known. She's always stayed out of the cupboards and such, but I know there's a first for everything.

All right, I think she's staying in her crib for a while, at least until BOTH of us are ready.   ;D ;D :P

Thanks everyone for your input! It's put me at ease with my decision.  :)

Skittelroo

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 07:48:50 PM »

ATG,  don't worry about when you make the switch, 'cause I'm sure you will have a clue when the time is right.    Shucks, I'd have kept mine in cribs until they were at least 32 if I had my way!! 

rwwjr

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 08:02:07 PM »

Our daughter NEVER slept in her crib  She screamed and cried every time we placed her in it, whether she was awake or sound asleep.  WE finally got tired of fighting with her over it, so we placed her in a toddler bed with side guards, and she slept the whole night the 1st night.

supermom

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 12:30:05 PM »

Toddler beds are terrific. I never had a problem with them walking the halls at night. They liked their toddler bed better and always slept better than when in the crib. Of course, mine crawled out of the crib at 9-months and that was scarier than walking the halls to me!
Pages: [1]   Go Up