MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > Is it 'time' to end Daylight Savings Time?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is it 'time' to end Daylight Savings Time?  (Read 3081 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Is it 'time' to end Daylight Savings Time?
« on: November 06, 2012, 08:34:10 AM »

In all my years I just don't see where DST has been of any benefit to me whatsoever...

in fact...  I'm not sure just who it's intended to benefit these days.

It was a great concept back when it started but I think it's "time" has run out!

I get up before it's daylight out and I go to bed after it gets dark...

it never has squeezed an extra hour of daylight into my workday...   not one hour!!!

It does make it more confusing to travel...   as close as Indiana!

We feed our dogs at 8am and 5 pm...   of course this morning they were up and ready to eat at 7am...   try explaining to a dog how their time to eat changed at 2am Sunday morning...

Dogs run on 'tummy time'...

I think it's time the rest of the country followed their lead ;) ;) ;)

(and yes I'm aware that I can just switch their eating schedule...  we do get it swung over in a couple of weeks)

I would love to hear from any and all who support the concept of DST and how it adds an hour to your day!
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Skittelroo

• Hero Talker
Re: Is it 'time' to end Daylight Savings Time?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 09:14:53 AM »

I don't even know which is the time we'd stay on if we stopped this, but I detest the changes.   I believe it was supposed to benefit school kids, and farmers who get up early to work their fields?   I'd like to hear from those people as to whether it helps.   I'd vote to stop DST. 

Baggins

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 09:45:58 AM »

Well, back in the day, when we didn't have electricity, it served a purpose, but today it's not really needed...I say scrap it...
"Praise not the day until evening has come,
 A sword until it is tried,
 A maiden until she is married,
 Ice until it has been crossed,
 Beer until it has been drunk!" - (Viking proverb)

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 10:03:53 AM »

End it.
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 11:36:49 AM »

I kinda like it. It's sort of like a tax refund, a little boost, at least in the fall. But, yeah, not sure how it's practical. It's lighter now on the drive to work/school in the morning, which I suppose is safer, but it was pitch dark last night at 6:30 as we were coming home. Kind of a wash.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 01:06:16 PM »

I could be foggy on this memory, but I believe one of the main reasons for starting it was for children going to school in the dark.  I think it was to make daybreak earlier during the shorter days of the years.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 04:07:06 PM »

I could be foggy on this memory, but I believe one of the main reasons for starting it was for children going to school in the dark.  I think it was to make daybreak earlier during the shorter days of the years.

I looked at a couple of articles on the history involved...

one did point out that proper spelling is Daylight Saving (no s) Time!!!

Both say it was developed by the Germans during WWI to give them a tactical advantage although the Allies soon caught on and the advantage was gone (kaputt)!

I kinda like it. It's sort of like a tax refund, a little boost, at least in the fall. But, yeah, not sure how it's practical. It's lighter now on the drive to work/school in the morning, which I suppose is safer, but it was pitch dark last night at 6:30 as we were coming home. Kind of a wash.

I agree on the "kind of a wash" Monique...  when our kids were beyond elementary school they were going to school in the dark and we were bringing them home from after school activities in the dark...   For the few days involved that one trip may have been in the daylight there were just as many that the return shifted to the dark :-\ :-\ :-\

When you add in the time of fooling with clocks to reset them and figure in all the critters who are confused on their tummy time (I'm sure some humans too) I just don't see a real advantage. 

I do remember when we had to reset all the computers manually to 8* 8* 8*

Articles: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

http://www.snopes.com/science/daylight.asp
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 06:31:57 AM »

I remember reading somewhere that Benjamin Franklin is credited in starting it back in the 1700's.

When I drove truck over the road, I found out that there were some places in Indiana that do not participate in DST, even though counties close to them do.
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 07:20:39 AM »

I'm quite sure that it started a long time ago, with two politicians, sitting at a bar.  They were arguing over how stupid and gullible the American people are, and one said to the other, "I'll bet you that I can propose a change in the time... we will change our clocks by one whole hour - once in the spring, and then back again in the fall, and we will tell them it will 'save' them daylight.  I bet they are stupid enough they will buy it!"

And Daylight Savings Time was born.

And no, it doesn't help farmers.  I can't IMAGINE how it could have, even before electricity.  There is STILL the same amount of daylight, people.

As far as kids going to school in the dark, most still do, in the winter.  If it's that big of a deal, change the time school starts, during the shortest days of the year.  Don't change when the sun rises!

Sheep.  DST is stupid.  Always has been, always will be.
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

NewDawn

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 04:26:43 PM »

I say END IT! My time is still messed up over a week later. My brain says it is 4:00 a.m., but the new time on the clock states 3:00 a.m.! Need my sleep.   :o
everyday is a new beginning....

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 08:15:27 AM »

Looks like 'time' to resurrect this topic again...

My wife has figured out another 'reason' to quit...

She flew to Florida last Monday and coming home this Monday...

but she'll be losing an hour out of her already short time in the sunshine ;) ;) ;)

And here is a 'timely' article from the Free Press this morning:

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/03/06/daylight-saving-still-useful/24509909/

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 10:18:14 AM »

I grew up in the CST zone and I can't tell you how much I love the EST while living on the western edge of it.

We were always amazed and appreciative of those summer nights when it was still dusk light at 10:00 PM.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 10:45:09 AM »

We may lose an hour this weekend, but we gain more sunlight. RT if that's a trade you're on board with.

Just saw this on a tweet from Staples...   

I've never understood this 'logic'...   

Daylight saving's time doesn't add a single second of daylight :o :o :o :o

The only way that it adds any daylight is for those that don't get up until late in the morning!

It was actually supposedly started to help the farmers...  well, the farmers were already the ones that were up before daylight anyway so I don't think it was helping them all that much.  Many of them had to go to bed while it was still daylight out so they could get up and do their morning chores...

in the dark ;) ;) ;)

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 10:21:41 PM »

Why turning your clocks forward Sunday actually costs you money

Back in 1784, hanging out in Paris and heady with Enlightenment, Benjamin Franklin had an idea. Struck by the fact that Parisians were sleeping during sunlight hours and then staying up late at night by candlelight, he calculated the number of candles that were being wasted -- and came up with an impressive number, 64 million pounds worth of them. Franklin therefore jokingly proposed a massive schedule change, noting that a fortune could be saved through "the economy of using sunshine instead of candles," and even suggested at one point that perhaps cannons be fired at sunrise to get everybody out of bed.

Such was the germ of the idea that would eventually lead to daylight saving time -- that if we patterned our lives to rise and set with the sun itself, we'd save energy and money. Flash forward 230 years later, and this remains the basic reason why many of us will wake up Sunday and realize that it's darker outside than we're used to. After "falling back" in November to standard time -- setting our clocks back an hour -- we'll have sprung forward, adopting daylight savings time. Daylight savings moves an hour of light we had in the morning to the evening, which may make us a little groggy Sunday but at least promises to end the miserable practice of leaving work in the dark.

But there's a problem with this (well-lit) practice. It is increasingly looking like Franklin's idea about saving energy was wrong. Genius though he was, he seems to have forgotten one thing: Moving around daylight hours doesn't only change how much people need to rely on artificial lighting, whether in the form of candles or modern halogens. It also changes the overall complexion of temperatures that we experience while we're awake. And in an age of heating and air conditioning, that may cause us to reach for the thermostat -- with big, probably negative nationwide impacts on energy use, greenhouse gas emissions, and your wallet.

It should be noted, incidentally, that this view of daylight saving time is not fully accepted. Indeed, some authorities still suggest that the massive scale shift in human behavior known as daylight saving time may save energy, rather than waste it. But the contention has come under attack by researchers, and indeed, one of the most impressive studies out there calls it into serious question.

The paper, published in 2011 in The Review of Economics and Statistics by Matthew Kotchen of Yale and Laura Grant of the University of California-Santa Barbara, took advantage of what the researchers dubbed a "natural experiment" with the effect of daylight saving time in the state of Indiana -- which has some serious time issues. Much of the state is on Eastern Time, but some western parts use Central Time. And until 2005 -- when the state passed a law to make daylight saving time uniform -- some Indiana counties also practiced saving time while others didn't. In effect there were three groups of counties as far as time went: Eastern Standard plus daylight saving, Central Standard plus daylight saving, and Eastern Standard without daylight saving.

This isn't just temporal chaos -- it's a scientific dream come true. Knowing the coming law (effective 2006) would switch everyone in Indiana to daylight saving time, the researchers realized they could jump in and examine before-and-after energy use in Indiana counties that were already using daylight saving, vs. those that had just switched to it. Not unlike a drug trial, there was a "control" group and a "treatment" group.

More here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/03/07/why-turning-your-clocks-forward-sunday-costs-you-money/
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

sammy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 10:39:45 PM »

In answer to the OP; yep.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up