MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > The Election Fall-out Has Begun

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The Election Fall-out Has Begun  (Read 2954 times)

Pax

• Hero Talker
  • "keepin' the bits cool & dry"
    • Coffee and Cigarettes for Breakfast
Re: The Election Fall-out Has Begun
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2012, 11:19:24 AM »

Europe today, but coming to Amerika soon: remember when you see that LE/Police "sergeant" or "lieutenant" rank on their costumes that they are soldiers of the Militarized Occupational Government, NOT your "protect and serve" peace officers of yesteryear.  Demokrazy isn't tolerated when it's little people protesting banksters' "austerity measures" for them:

Video: Street battles across Europe as general strike turns violent
Qui tacet consentit! - "He who is silent consents" - Maxim of Law
"For he who would be deceived, let him." - Roman maxim
"Not to oppose error is to approve it; and not to defend truth is to suppress it; and indeed to neglect to confound evil men, when we can do it, is no less a sin than to encourage them." -Pope St. Felix III
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit.
Ryht æðelo biþ on ðam móde, næs on ðam flæ-acute

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2012, 07:39:30 PM »

I think the wheels are going to start coming off in the next 4 years. Obama won’t know what to do. Bluster and cool won’t get it, nor will reading words off a tele-prompter. Can’t kick the Can down the road forever. We’re running out of other people’s money to cover our deficits. The Federal Reserve is already printing 40 billion paper dollars a month right now. What happens when we completely run out of other people’s money? Print 80 billion a month?
John Kopke

Pax

• Hero Talker
  • "keepin' the bits cool & dry"
    • Coffee and Cigarettes for Breakfast
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2012, 10:34:52 PM »

I think the wheels are going to start coming off in the next 4 years.

That is the most optimistic thing I've heard lately.  if we make it 'til next planting season I'd be happy.  That "can" you speak of is already at the end of the road and the bankrupt corporation US! will soon hit the dustbin of history...
Qui tacet consentit! - "He who is silent consents" - Maxim of Law
"For he who would be deceived, let him." - Roman maxim
"Not to oppose error is to approve it; and not to defend truth is to suppress it; and indeed to neglect to confound evil men, when we can do it, is no less a sin than to encourage them." -Pope St. Felix III
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit.
Ryht æðelo biþ on ðam móde, næs on ðam flæ-acute

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2012, 09:16:11 AM »

Orlando Health cutting 400 jobs.  Orlando Health officials called the cost-cutting moves necessary.

"Health-care reform mandates and changes in reimbursement structures for Medicare and Medicaid are forcing health-care organizations throughout the U.S. to confront new challenges," Sitarik said. "We must find better ways to deliver enhanced value to patients and lower the overall cost of care."

As hospitals make moves that improve care and reduce readmission rates from infections, their revenues drop, said Sitarik.

"We have made great strides in improving our quality outcomes. But these gains have also triggered lowered revenues due in part to a reduction in readmissions."

The cuts are necessary as the hospital transitions to a new payment model, one that pays based on value or outcome, not on volume, said Sitarik.

"Eventually that will even out," said Lewis, "but for a while it will present a fiscal challenge."

Such cost-cutting measures are happening across the country. On Wednesday, Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center in North Carolina announced that it would cut 950 jobs by June. 

I think it is great that they have reduced cost and lowered readmission's.  But - I feel for the 400 people displaced in Orlando and the 950 that will be cut from Wake Forest.  I wonder how the reform will impact MMH? 

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-11-19/news/os-orlando-health-layoffs-20121116_1_orlando-health-sherrie-sitarik-readmission-rates
"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2012, 09:35:26 AM »

Obama doesn't have as much need to give away stuff to win votes but the rest of the democrats will still try.  They want to get reelected.  Without giving away stuff their chances are diminished.  And Stuff i'm talking about isn't medicare and social security.  Most people receiving that have paid into the system.
When 50% or more of the people are receiving free stuff they are going to keep voting for the people giving it to them. People with money are going to move it out of the county and there will be less for the government to steal.

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2012, 09:54:30 AM »

Obama doesn't have as much need to give away stuff to win votes but the rest of the democrats will still try.  They want to get reelected.  Without giving away stuff their chances are diminished.  And Stuff i'm talking about isn't medicare and social security.  Most people receiving that have paid into the system.
When 50% or more of the people are receiving free stuff they are going to keep voting for the people giving it to them. People with money are going to move it out of the county and there will be less for the government to steal.

I understand what you are saying, in terms of people on the so called Public Dole but I disagree.  People voted for Pres. Obama because they largely believed he offered a better direction for the Country. 

The majority of people who receive assistance be it food stamps, Medicaid, unemployment or even the much maligned and miss named "Obama Phone", do not want to be on federal (or State) assistance.  The majority of people want a chance for a better life and are more than willing to work for it. 

Where would the "wealthy" go?  Canada, UK, South America, Mainland Europe?  Most of these places have higher taxes than we do in America.  I imagine the "wealthy" could go to some of the places in the South Pacific or other havens of tax shelters but in the long run places like that do not have the infrastructure needed nor do they currently offer the quality of medical, dental, educational opportunities as we do in America.  These "wealthy" could build these resources but in four, six or eight years (the time that it would take to get these things in place) the political winds could shift.  I think instead what they will do is simply continue to find loopholes here that benefit them (just like the rest of us do) and will work to change the system (i.e. elected officials and so on) that they believe are best.   
"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2012, 08:28:50 AM »

Starting to think these stories need a thread for themselves but will include it here for now.  Another organization (a Community College in PA) has announced they will cut staff in an effort to avoid the cost associated with the Health Care Reform Act. 

It seems there has been a wave of these stories and I wonder: (1) Were these folks sitting crossing there fingers hoping that Gov. Romney would win and make changes to the Health Care Reform Act. (2)  Why are a rash of these stories now coming out?   As early as January of this year on some blogs there were discussions that this "could" happen but it wasn't in the "news" only in "opinion" blogs. Finally, (3) Considering the folks dismissed or having hours cut, under the law in 2014, must have health care will this not increase the amount of funding needed for the Health Care Reform Act (assuming these moves will drive many into the system) and are there projections anywhere on what this will look like? 

Anyhow - here is the story from the Post-Gazette: 

To Community College of Allegheny County's president, Alex Johnson, cutting hours for some 400 temporary part-time workers to avoid providing health insurance coverage for them under the impending Affordable Health Care Act is purely a cost-saving measure at a time the college faces a funding reduction.

But to some of the employees affected, including 200 adjunct faculty members, the decision smacks of an attempt to circumvent the national health care legislation that goes into effect in January 2014.

"It's kind of a double whammy for us because we are facing a legal requirement [under the new law] to get health care and if the college is reducing our hours, we don't have the money to pay for it," said Adam Davis, an adjunct professor who has taught biology at CCAC since 2005.

Temporary part-time employees received an email notice from Mr. Johnson on Tuesday informing them that the new health care act defines full-time employees as those working 30 hours or more per week.

As a result, the college as of Dec. 31 will reduce temporary part-time employee hours to 25 per week. For adjuncts, the workload limit will be reduced from 12 to 10 credits per semester.

The decision affects only temporary part-time employees and not permanent part-time employees who already are eligible to participate in the college's health care plan.

The employee groups affected are not represented by any bargaining units.

Mr. Johnson presented the plan to Allegheny County Council on Thursday as an example of ways the college is trying to control costs.

CCAC spokesman David Hoovler said although the Affordable Health Care Act doesn't take effect until January 2014, for compliance purposes the federal government will look back one year to determine an employee's status

Post-Gazette: 

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/neighborhoods-city/health-care-law-brings-double-dose-of-trouble-for-ccac-part-time-profs-662697/?print=1
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 08:35:02 AM by Will Sweat »

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2012, 08:45:34 AM »

CCAC spokesman David Hoovler said although the Affordable Health Care Act doesn't take effect until January 2014, for compliance purposes the federal government will look back one year to determine an employee's status[/i].

I was not aware of that, and now it makes a little more sense as to why actions are starting to be seen a year in advance.

Sad deal.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2012, 09:20:10 AM »

I was not aware of that, and now it makes a little more sense as to why actions are starting to be seen a year in advance.

Sad deal.

Yeah - I don't know if you have heard of or read Gerri Willis but she writes a pretty decent blog (although I know many would not read or trust it because she writes for Fox business).  She has discussed this along with some of the other taxes that will be levied as a result of the Health Care Reform Act and other supposed impacts (i.e. Health Care Exchanges, Doctors "opting out" of Medicare / Medicade, Hospital structural changes, Job cuts and so on). 

She wrote a pretty interesting blog on the 15th that looked at the average "taxes" payed by individuals. 

I don't take what she writes / says as "gospel" but I do think she offers a prospective that isn't being discussed widely in the news and in terms of the "possible" job cuts as a result of the Health Care Reform Act, Mrs. Willis was apparently ahead of the curve if all the recent stories are believable and it seems they are. 

Here are a couple of "recent" blogs / videos by her: 

Will employers pass off cost of health care to employees:

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1964411541001

Job cuts coming (Mercer Study):

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1964088249001/job-cuts-coming-under-obamacare/

What taxes should you expect under Health Care Reform:

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1964432634001

Half your paycheck to the government in 2013: 

http://www.foxbusiness.com/on-air/willis-report/blog/2012/11/15/half-your-paycheck-government-2013

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2012, 09:59:49 AM »

I guess I'll have to read up on Gerri.  She used to be on some other programs involved with real estate and now she is has her own program on Fox.  I watch some of it a couple of times a week.  I'm not sure if she is an expert or just once that is able to talk about a lot of different things.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2012, 10:10:10 AM »

Not certain this is fall-out, but time to pay up.

http://news.yahoo.com/black-voters-look-leverage-loyalty-081601828--election.html

Black voters look to leverage their loyalty

WASHINGTON (AP) — When black voters gave President Barack Obama 93 percent support on Election Day in defiance of predictions that they might sit it out this year, black leaders breathed a collective sigh of relief.

That encouraged those leaders to try to leverage more attention from both Obama and Congress. Although they waver over how much to demand from the president — particularly in light of defeated GOP challenger Mitt Romney's assertion that Obama gave "gifts" to minorities in exchange for their votes — they are delivering postelection wish lists to the president anyway.

"I think the president heard us loud and clear. The collective message was, 'Let's build on where we already are,'" the Rev. Al Sharpton told reporters after a White House meeting last week with a collection of advocates representing largely Democratic constituencies.

Specifically, Sharpton said, that means keeping the brunt of the looming "fiscal cliff" of tax increases and spending cuts off the backs of the middle and working class.

NAACP President Benjamin Jealous aimed that same message at Congress, especially on where tax relief is extended.

"We need Republicans to think hard and to pull back from the cliff 98 percent of our families, who make up the bulk of this nation, from seeing our taxes being raised," Jealous said.

Blacks made up 13 percent of the electorate this year, about the same as 2008, while participation among whites shrank slightly to 72 percent and Hispanics increased to 10 percent, national exit polls showed. Black leaders point to that minority participation as they sharpen their calls for initiatives to address black unemployment, which was 12.7 percent when Obama took office, peaked at 16.5 percent roughly a year later, and stood at 14.3 percent in October. The overall unemployment rate is 7.9 percent.

National Urban League President Marc Morial acknowledged in an interview that "we sweated turnout all the way to the end," because the country's underlying economic conditions made it tougher to mobilize black voters. Within days of the election, Morial sent to Obama, House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., an "urgent petition" asking that Obama's second term focus on economic opportunity and income inequality.

A jobs program should emphasize infrastructure and public works, broadband technology and energy "with a special focus on those communities where unemployment is and remains stubbornly and persistently high," Morial's letter said.

"We who represent the nation's urban communities will demand a seat at the table in these discussions," he wrote.

African-American voter samples in national exit polls are not useful for providing turnout measurements. Census surveys and other analyses eventually will provide turnout numbers for specific racial groups. But exit polls can be used to examine different groups as shares of the overall vote. And there, experts say, is where the evidence can be found of how much black voters delivered for Obama.

Nationally, Obama's share of the black vote was down slightly from four years ago. But in some key states, turnout was higher and had an impact, said David Bositis, an expert on black politics and voting at the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies.

Blacks made up 15 percent of the electorate in Ohio, up from 11 percent in 2008. And 97 percent of those votes went for Obama, leading Bositis to say Obama's margin of victory in the state came from black voters.

In Michigan, the black share of the vote grew from 12 percent in 2008 to 16 percent in 2012, according to exit polls.

"Michigan was one of the states the two parties jostled around, and eventually Republicans decided they were not going to win, and one of the reasons was the big increase in the black vote," Bositis said.

In Missouri, a state Obama lost in both elections, the black vote went from 13 percent to 16 percent of all voters.

Bositis said the black share of the vote remained roughly the same at 23 percent in North Carolina, which Obama narrowly won in 2008 but lost in 2012, and 13 percent in Florida, which Obama won both times. In Virginia, which Obama won in both elections, black voters were 20 percent of all voters, he said.

Women and people from ages 18 to 29 had the strongest participation levels in the black community.

In 2008, black women had the highest turnout rate, 69 percent, of all groups. Their 2008 record created a sense of obligation among some black female leaders to take an active role against new state voting laws they said threatened to curb black voter participation. Black women made up 60 percent of the black vote this year and voted 95 percent for Obama.

The enthusiasm of black women was demonstrated in Florida when more than 250 churches marched their congregations to the polls as part of the "Souls To the Polls" early voting campaign, said Melanie Campbell, president and CEO of the National Coalition on Black Civic Participation. A large percentage of the marchers were women, Campbell said.

"Countless women stood in line for hours to vote early so they could volunteer to work at the polls to help in the fight against voter suppression," Campbell said.

Black voters ages 18-29 made up 26 percent of the black vote nationally, a turnout close to what it was in 2008, according to the national exit poll. They voted 91 percent for Obama.

Republicans had reached out to black voters in 2004 and saw their share of the black vote increase in that election, Bositis said. But he said that in 2012, the outreach was nonexistent.

Michael Steele, former Republican National Committee chairman, said the GOP had an opportunity this election to connect with black voters on unemployment, health disparities, incarceration and other issues.

"How the heck do you win if you don't engage in the conversation?" Steele said.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2012, 10:13:30 AM »

I like her and thought she did a really nice job when she was on CNN ("Your Bottom Line").  I know she as a degree from Columbia and has written a couple of books.  Plus . . . it helps that she is pretty easy on the eyes :-). 

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2013, 10:57:12 AM »

From the Columbus Dispatch - An Ohio woman has filed a lawsuit because she believes she was terminated for voting for Pres. Obama. 

DAYTON — A southwest Ohio woman who says she was fired because she voted for President Barack Obama filed a lawsuit against her former employer.

Patricia Kunkle’s lawsuit accuses Dayton-based defense contractor Q-Mark Inc. and its president of telling employees that if Obama was re-elected, then his supporters would be the first to be fired, The Dayton Daily News reported.

Brian Wildermuth, an attorney for the company president, said in a statement that Kunkle was laid off for economic reasons — “nothing more.”

“I am sure you and your readers are familiar with the ongoing uncertainties regarding defense spending, and thus the economic environment confronting defense contractors,” he said. “The allegation that Q-Mark discharged Ms. Kunkle because of her vote is simply false.”

Kunkle, of Kettering, has an unlisted phone number and her Dayton attorney didn’t immediately respond to a request to speak with her.

The lawsuit, filed in Montgomery County Common Pleas Court on Feb. 14, seeks a minimum of $25,000. It says that Kunkle’s vote came up in conversation on Nov. 7, the day after the election, and that she was fired Nov. 9. The suit claims that the company’s president and owner, Roberta Gentile, said the firing was in the “best interest of the company.”

The lawsuit said that Gentile engaged Q-Mark employees in conversations aimed at discovering their political affiliations and repeatedly disparaged Obama supporters.

Columbus Dispatch:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2013/02/20/Ohio_woman_claims_she_was_fired_for_Obama_vote.html

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2013, 10:21:20 PM »

I can't blame them for firing her, quite honestly.
When I was a little boy, my mother spoke of a prophecy, of a time when all the world would be covered in darkness and the fate of all of mankind would be decided. One night I finally got the courage to ask my mother why God had changed, why He was so angry with His children. “I don’t know,” she said as she tucked the covers around me. “I guess He just got tired of all the bullshlt.”

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2013, 10:48:30 PM »

I think the wheels are going to start coming off in the next 4 years. Obama won’t know what to do. Bluster and cool won’t get it, nor will reading words off a tele-prompter. Can’t kick the Can down the road forever. We’re running out of other people’s money to cover our deficits. The Federal Reserve is already printing 40 billion paper dollars a month right now. What happens when we completely run out of other people’s money? Print 80 billion a month?

Well I apparently was mistaken. I mentioned printing $ 80 billion per month. We're now printing $85 billion per month. I guess I'll have to adjust my tinfoil hat to get more accurate reception. 
John Kopke
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up