MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Monroe History > The 1965 Monroe Monster... is Bigfoot still lurking?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: The 1965 Monroe Monster... is Bigfoot still lurking?  (Read 55213 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: The 1965 Monroe Monster... is Bigfoot still lurking?
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2013, 07:25:00 AM »

After a long cool spring weather its time to move this topic along once again. Tiny and Big Red Dog could you check with people with an expertise in automotive matters and see if they can identify the year and make of car based on the left drivers door mirror shown in the now infamous photo of Christine Van Acker? I seem to think it looks very much like a 1959-1960 Chrysler but would like to hear some other opinions. Any ideas?

I'd like to see a current photo of Christine to see how well she has 'survived' this incident ;) ;) ;)

Strange you should mention that window and mirror whispers...   my parents had a 1960 Chevy and the instant I saw the photo of Christine in the car I knew it was either a 1959 or 1960 full sized Chevrolet (that part of the 2 years bodies didn't change... only the tail end was different)!  Also the absolutely straight sides to the window glass and the fact that it's absolutely flat...  if that's not a 59 or 60 full size Chevy I'll buy lunch for Christine and the sasquatch :P :P :P

Compare for yourselves and see what you think ;) ;) ;)

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

whispers

• Hero Talker
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2013, 09:16:06 PM »

What a beautiful car! Yes I have to agree Red Dog, after I look at both photos there is little doubt what it could be... Very good! I was also looking very closely at the window side post but overlooked the fact that it could be a vent window. Speaking of Christine, I would love and opportunity meet with her and to speak with the woman regarding the incident just once.

Are you familiar with the Mentel and Fix Road intersection? Much has changed over the decades but standing in the intersection facing south there is a bend or curve in the road on Mentel, and just a few hundred yards north of Hurd Road. That is where this incident allegedly took place.

Within that same time frame there was an elementary school on Hurd Road not far from the actual incident. Is the school still there? These animals or creatures have a natural curiosity about children and that is something mentioned over and again across the country and nobody seems to have an answer for it. The reason for mentioning this point is the fact that the original August 1965 incident was in extreme close proximity to that school and of course who would have ever guessed.

I do not recall right off hand but there was one author from Monroe who wrote and published a book about the Monroe Monster, and I believe he still resides locally. I have only read a few chapters but cannot decide whether or not it was written in satire or as stated fact. In either event it would be great if he joined the discussion and pick his brain.

Once again, Big Red Dog ... you did a fine job in pinpointing the make and model thank you.

Skittelroo

• Hero Talker
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2013, 09:42:33 PM »

This sounds like the book you mentioned, whispers:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-monroe-monster-james-aa-keister/1111649777?ean=2940033272600

The Monroe Monster [NOOK Book]
by James Aa. Keister, copyright 2012
$4.99
"based on true events"....  there is an option to read an excerpt. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2013, 12:21:39 PM »

What a beautiful car! Yes I have to agree Red Dog, after I look at both photos there is little doubt what it could be... Very good! I was also looking very closely at the window side post but overlooked the fact that it could be a vent window. Speaking of Christine, I would love and opportunity meet with her and to speak with the woman regarding the incident just once.

Are you familiar with the Mentel and Fix Road intersection? Much has changed over the decades but standing in the intersection facing south there is a bend or curve in the road on Mentel, and just a few hundred yards north of Hurd Road. That is where this incident allegedly took place.

Within that same time frame there was an elementary school on Hurd Road not far from the actual incident. Is the school still there? These animals or creatures have a natural curiosity about children and that is something mentioned over and again across the country and nobody seems to have an answer for it. The reason for mentioning this point is the fact that the original August 1965 incident was in extreme close proximity to that school and of course who would have ever guessed.

I do not recall right off hand but there was one author from Monroe who wrote and published a book about the Monroe Monster, and I believe he still resides locally. I have only read a few chapters but cannot decide whether or not it was written in satire or as stated fact. In either event it would be great if he joined the discussion and pick his brain.

Once again, Big Red Dog ... you did a fine job in pinpointing the make and model thank you.

Here's an Acme map of the area...   A is the intersection and B is the curve...  both are pretty obvious.  The only school I recall is Hurd road elementary school at C...   not real close but also not far away.  There wouldn't have been nearly the number of houses on any of the roads back then so it would have been a lot more 'desolate' and maybe the area was more overgrown with brush or even woods at the time.  Looking at Hurd road school it looks like it was one of the schools that would have been built in the early 60s like so many others in the area.  Anyone have any more detailed info on that.  It's also possible there might have been some kind of a school building right at the intersection of Fix and Mentel but I don't know that for a fact...  speculation only on my end!

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=41.94312,-83.33902&z=15&t=H&marker0=41.95004%2C-83.33898%2C2.3%20km%20NxNW%20of%20Detroit%20Beach%20MI&marker1=41.94060%2C-83.33872%2C1.4%20km%20NW%20of%20Detroit%20Beach%20MI&marker2=41.93788%2C-83.34831%2C1.9%20km%20WxNW%20of%20Detroit%20Beach%20MI

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2013, 11:44:50 AM »

This man has some very interesting views on the existence of Bigfoot along with his finding a fossilized Bigfoot head:

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2013/jun/30/man-believes-he-found-fossilized-bigfoot-head/?in-other-news

rwwjr

• Hero Talker
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2013, 09:18:35 PM »

Here's a new one to check out from the BFRO website:

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=38155

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2013, 11:21:05 AM »

I received an interesting email yesterday...

I was looking through the posts about the Mentel Road Monster. I was 13 when it happened and was scared to stay out at night. There was a rental hall in that area that all the 'beach' residents would rent for weddings and parties. It was desolate and in the woods. And the only people out that direction were going to a party of some kind.

Thank you very much for the contribution!

I still keep hoping one of my emails some day is going to be from Christine or a member of her family ;) ;) ;)

Here's a new one to check out from the BFRO website:

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=38155

When I have some time I'm going to try to figure out where that might have been by using some aerial photos.  There are aerials available for that general area going back to about 1960 so I may be able to pinpoint the location.

rwwjr

• Hero Talker
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2013, 02:28:36 PM »

Heading to a Bigfoot conference with Jeff Meldrum, a God in Bigfoot lore, Aug 2-3 in West Branch

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2013, 11:31:48 AM »

A Web site that was recently brought to my attention.
The Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization

Below is the link for reported sightings in Monroe County.

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_county_reports.asp?state=mi&county=Monroe

Other Counties and States can be checked as well.
Maybe that would be a good thing for your summer travel plans ;););)
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

rwwjr

• Hero Talker
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2013, 02:10:26 PM »

When I go North I always look to see if I can find places where there have been spottings

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2013, 03:29:23 PM »

When I walk out the back door I keep my eyes open :o :o :o

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2013, 04:51:54 PM »

I do the same when entering an adult entertainment establishment.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

whispers

• Hero Talker
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2013, 09:45:30 PM »

Good to see you here rwwjr, Big Red Dog, Mayonnaise, I am pleased to see a few posts. I would love to make the Aug 2-3 event in West Branch, but my schedule does not permit at this time. Speaking of West Branch though, I understand Ogemaw County and the surrounding counties have their fair share of incidents too. A few weeks ago, we were out in Waterloo State Game Area near Chelsea doing hiking, snapping some photos and seen some interesting possibilities but nothing firm or positive but we will do some checking in Dexter next. Those two areas are getting some interesting reports recently.

In so far as going north, I prefer to stay around Monroe even though I do not live in the county any longer. It is after all my old hometown and the place I was raised. Moreover, I do know there has been a number of dated reports inside the county and two as recent as 2009 all in relative close proximity to the original 1965 incident. The more folks read about this topic, the more inclined some of the local people may be to share their experiences. For that reason I believe for every incident we do hear about there five more out there that we haven't, and I think it would surprise us all if we only knew.

Your incident (if I am correct) occurred just 25 years after the initial Monroe Monster stunned the public as an outrageous hoax, and yet, people of all stripes and walks of life are still reporting near identical sightings. Of course I do not believe for a minute that it was a hoax in 1965 but how else could it be explained? In 1964, across the state just one year before in place called Sisters Lake, (near Dowagiac for those unfamiliar with it) they experienced their own sightings... Little girls fainting, people reporting pets and livestock missing, terrified migrant workers fleeing from the fields upon their encounter.

In 1962 and 1963, the good folks in the great (Show Me) state of Missouri experienced their own Monroe Monster of sorts in which they coined the term: Momo Monster. Here again, upon the some of the initial sightings there were reports of livestock missing or found destroyed and then actual sightings occurred. What makes this so incredibly fascinating is the fact that the drawing depicted by one artists in Missouri is remarkably similar to that of the Monroe Monster picture three years later. 

Side by side sketches as rendered by separate witnesses are obviously different but very close in all other forms. If it is still posted you may be able to see for yourself by going to the Cryptomundo website. More to point however, is the fact that the earlier drawing of the 'Missouri Momo' looks eerily similar to that of a pictograph drawing (dated 300 B.C.) found at Burnt Cliff Bluff etched inside a cave wall near Delta County in Michigan's upper peninsula.  http://fayettemichigan.com/burntbluff.html

Collusion?

Is it possible for a 1972 artist sketch to resemble a stone etching from 300 B.C., I hardly doubt it. There are too many incidents spanning thousands of years to refute or simply write them off as hoaxes.   

In 1600, early Northern Michigan Potawatomi Native American tribes spoke of  creatures, beings, if you will ... whom they called, "hairy faces" resembled humans and were believed to have had their first encounter in 1634.  Source: Potawatomi tribe still remembers original name Lake County Discovery Museum, By Diana Dretske, Daily Herald, Neighbor Section,  March 18, 2001, page1

Incidentally, the Potawatomi Native American tribes along with the Wyandots, Fox, Sauks and others were known around Monroe and Frenchtown township and were believed to be participants in the 1813 Monroe Massacre. Several noted French explorers and traders, a well-known Native American Chief and Generals of both British and American forces also wrote about their experiences and sightings of similar creatures from Monroe to Detroit and along the Detroit river.

Is it all a hoax? No I don't think so. Recall if you will, the word hoax was given to the victim of the infamous 1965 Monroe incident and gained a life of its own after it was reported she failed a polygraph. Let me remind you that was in 1965! Although technology is exceptional today in modern terms. Polygraphs remain a source of furious contention even among scientist not mention the technology used in 1965 hadn't changed since 1915. 

Nevertheless, I believe participants of early American history lived a harsh existence without the luxuries of modern technology to enable them to compare and contrast notes or scheme about such matters. Humans lived throughout the 1600s, 1700s, and 1800s eeking out a meager existence to survive and were less controlled by annoyances we call political correctness. From Tennessee to Florida, Daniel Boone wrote about his experiences with a 'Yahoo' and Teddy Roosevelt had his own encounter in Florida, and one of the first known human deaths attributed to the creature, if we are to believe his written memoirs.

Do I know what they are? No ... I think, I believe some of these creatures have been dispatched but nobody will know because or at least, nobody has admitted to it primarily for spiritual and legal reasons. That is my own personal take on it but I do not know this for certain. If they're around they see you before you see them in most cases. They are the Watchers.

Not enough is known about the super intelligent being that in all fairness doesn't wish to be discovered and in all likeliness appears to go to great lengths to avoid human contact. They appear to be incredibly curious of human activity and notoriously territorial in protecting their food, families, and land. Did I leave out anything rwwjr? 

Attacked by ‘Hairy Monster’
(AP) Wire photo - Christine Van Acker, 17, of Monroe, Mich., sports a black left eye after an encounter with what was described as a huge hairy monster who jumped on the side of her car and beat her head against the door until she fainted. State police said 16 persons have reported sighting the “monster” in the last two months. One witness drew the drawing at left. Hundreds of rain-soaked hunters tramped the woods and fields Monday near Monroe in search of the “beast.”  Spartanburg Herald, Wednesday, August 18, 1965 page 10

It is my deepest hope that Christine Van Acker finds solace in my words as I extend my deepest regrets for the way she was portrayed in 1965. I was but a skinny little boy of 10 or 11 years-old and still to this day found her to be a very courageous Monroe girl. Without her sacrifices and pain I doubt any of us would be here discussing this today.   

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2013, 08:48:23 AM »

A Web site that was recently brought to my attention.
The Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization

Below is the link for reported sightings in Monroe County.

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_county_reports.asp?state=mi&county=Monroe

Other Counties and States can be checked as well.
Maybe that would be a good thing for your summer travel plans ;););)

I've been checking different areas around the state where I've spent some time out in the woods and there are reports from all of them.  I haven't had time to check other states but will as I have time.

whispers

• Hero Talker
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2013, 06:08:59 PM »

Interestingly enough Big Red Dog, most all of Michigan's sightings do in fact occur while on the road passing by. Either these creatures are observed crossing the roads or standing next to the roadside and many of those happen in late the p.m. hours or very early hours.

Just something else to chew on now, of the eleven Monroe Bigfoot encounters reported, five of them happened while the creature was spotted crossing roads or standing near the roadside by unsuspecting motorists.  Two other encounters occurred near swampy areas, two in agricultural fields, one while camping, and one while hunting. Most of them occurred either during the summer or fall seasonal months.

From Monroe County and Lake Erie moving west to Lake Michigan including the counties of Lenawee, Hillsdale, Branch, St. Joseph, Cass, Berrien and again north (of Monroe) Wayne, Washtenaw, Jackson, Calhoun, Kalamazoo, and Van Buren represent 13 counties of lower Michigan. It is within this grouping that is the point of my focus since seven of the 13 counties listed above border along sparsely populated but highly wooded and prime habituation lands of neighboring Illinois, Indiana and Ohio.

Authors Note: All Michigan incidents represent time periods from 1634 thru 2013

Monroe 11
Lenawee 13
Hillsdale 40
Branch 2
St. Joseph 3
Cass 20
Berrien 13
Wayne 12
Washtenaw 40
Jackson 39
Calhoun 9