MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Monroe History > The 1965 Monroe Monster... is Bigfoot still lurking?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: The 1965 Monroe Monster... is Bigfoot still lurking?  (Read 20538 times)

marilyn.monroe

• Hero Talker

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
Re: The 1965 Monroe Monster... is Bigfoot still lurking?
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 12:24:21 PM »

In Wing's book, the History of Monroe County Michigan, there is a section entitled, "The Geology of Monroe County" and there is a reference to the "Big Sink and Little Sink" near Whiteford Twp. as well as very Mineral Springs.
In the book by Lambert LaVoy, "Bay Creek Settlement of Monroe County Michigan" also mentions the Big Sink and eye-less fish found when the water level dropped.
Years ago, I went to the the Seneca Caverens in Bellevue Ohio and they dug deeper into the cave and found an underground river and found fish with no eyes. They told our group that when they brought them and the sunlight hit them, the fish died.

Beside's using the local history books, I am also cross referencing with the book, "Geology of Michigan by Dorr & Eschman.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 12:26:51 PM by Mayonnaise »
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

Skittelroo

• Hero Talker
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 01:51:23 PM »

http://www.caves.org/conservancy/mkc/about_karst.html

I found this site to be good for explaining karst formations.  Monroe County is mentioned briefly.

"Sinkholes in Monroe County in the southeastern lower peninsula drain water that resurges from the Great Sulphur Spring in Lake Erie."

whispers

• Super Talker
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 11:39:03 PM »

Somebody posted the Whiteford Township location and as I recall that was listed in some material I read and not the Summerfield and Blissfield area as I previously mentioned. At the time I was reading about personal entries of early Michigan settlers and their Native American encounters along the way and never bookmarked references to old Monroe County when I stumbled on it.

There are at least some reports in Michigan that seem to connect BF animals to caves or sinks, but perhaps more are centered around heavily shrouded wooded areas with plentiful vegetation, water, and wild game and agricultural lands.

We were checking some trail cameras on private property near the Waterloo State Recreation area last fall when a few of us accidentally stepped into some of Michigan's quick sand, completely concealed. One of the gentlemen quickly sank both legs above the knees and I attempted to move around him to pull him out and sunk my right leg up to my thigh in the stuff. Others following behind stopped, paused, and waited until we were both freed. Those are just some of the unexpected hazards of wandering through the wilds and another reason why you never, ever travel alone. 

Within the outlying areas of the Detroit metro-area proper more and more folks are reporting wolf and big cat sightings as well.

We did not get any videos of the animal but we did enjoy reviewing a variety of animals and game. The location is very close to a Blueberry farm and there have numerous reports of horses being beaten, clawed and terrified by something.

We did locate a few very large foot prints some distance from the horse barn however.

Again, I am not a BF hunter but I do get invited out on such expeditions and enjoy the company and conversation of solid intellectual folks that do actively investigate and hunt for the elusive animal. Many of these fine Michiganders join their counterparts in Ohio and Indiana and work back and forth.

My very close friend, a retired Houston police investigator has shown me some of the videos and photos they take down in Oklahoma and Texas and well, they are sobering to say the least... 

He recently attended a conference featuring the author of Missing 411, as guest speaker and came away from that with a change in heart of sorts... 

Skittelroo, a friend of mine in South Carolina who also has an interest in Monroe Monster type "Hoaxes," studies geology out of the university in South Carolina and she actually tipped me off to the karst formations and it was one of the reasons for me asking about the cave or sinks in Monroe County. Down there they study the creatures around the Great Smokey Mountains. Thank you for reminding me.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 11:43:03 PM by whispers »

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2013, 07:02:25 AM »

Has anyone ever heard of or known of a cave in Monroe County? If so, where?

I did remain an email from a lurker who prefers not to post directly on MT at this time...   I hope they change their mind at some point because they have sent me some good info a few times now and could obviously contribute to MT with more active participation...

Their message:

google Silas Doty cave

Lost Nation's game area south of hillsdale

Lots of interesting results (not all in reference to the cave either):

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=silas+doty+cave&oq=silas+doty+cave&gs_l=hp.3..0.2084.6160.0.6438.15.13.0.2.2.1.827.5251.0j2j4j0j2j4j1.13.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.2.hp.wWnuYH_2U8o&pbx=1&fp=1&biw=1120&bih=627&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&cad=b

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

whispers

• Super Talker
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2013, 08:52:01 AM »

Big Red Dog

Relative to Silas Doty, I followed the links and read the information and discovered some background on a scoundrel otherwise unknown to me. Thank you very much for sharing Big Red Dog.

As I was reading with eyes wide open about this local Robin Hood, Jesse James type folk hero, I was thinking why hasn’t Hollywood made a movie about this character, Silas Doty?

His adventures of thievery made famous in his own right have both local flavor and foreign appeal and intrigue as this miscreant rat thief scuttles around his hometown and Midwest always staying a step ahead of the law. Obviously, neither shame nor jail seemed to matter on the few occasions when caught and brought to justice since it failed to reform him or change his behavior.

By all accounts Doty was liked by people, hated by others no doubt on the receiving end of his misguided ways.  Few would argue that Silas or Siles, was a misguided man who created his character around a “Gordian Knot of falsehoods.”  (a metaphor used for problem solving by lying) Unbelievable! 

whispers

• Super Talker
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2013, 10:29:45 AM »

1965 Monroe Monster Fact or Fiction?

In Monroe they called it a hoax, laughing themselves in a fever but outside the county and around the state, it was (is) very real to those encountered it. Was it a hoax, or just part of a state-wide phenomenon happening all over for reasons yet unknown? Prior to the August 1965 Monroe Monster “Hoax,” there had been similar reports all across the state. Many wonder why there would be so many sightings between the 1950s and 1960s, but perhaps it correlates with growing population and suburbanization in areas once considered too rural for most people.

The idea is we will never know the true extent of these sightings and reports as long as people feel it acceptable to ridicule and torment people who do encounter these things for they are the true victims.

Caveat: Whether or not any of these separate sightings are real or not I cannot say. Many of those listed here were reported and known from very credible sources, many were reported unofficially because of ridicule, reputations on the line and so forth. It does not have to be that way if folks learn to hear and listen without ridicule. Finally, I want to state that I have no persnal or financial interest, real or otherwise in the book mentioned down below. I knew about the books and heard the author speak over a year ago, and it touched a nerve with me about the topic so I did my homework. I studied the book reviews, I spoke very briefly with the author, and I finally purchased and read both copies.

Some of my inserted comments [Refer to book Missing 411] were mainly to alert the reader to note "key" words i.e. Missing children with their pets, watching children, hunters, swamps and marshy lands, feelings of being watched, unexplainable things such as toddlers missing found in middle of deep swamp on a dry isle, thereby enabling you to see some repeatable patterns here and throughout the book.

I took several days in laying out the so called Monroe Monster incident that took place on that hot August day in 1965. The story really was a modern day "Beauty and the Beast" story that even Monroe could have exploited to its benefit back then. The old Drive-In's rushed to run horror flicks and the "Monster Burgers" became the rage as news slowly worked its way around the world of this "Beauty and the Beast" story called a hoax. Print news was still very strong and not everyone had a television in their home, but many more folks in Monroe County always seemed to have their ear on that old transistor radio. 

It was my wish for you the readers to make your own connection and draw your own conclusion. In the spirit of learning and understanding I wanted to say it like you never heard it before. With a bit more background about the 1965 Monroe Monster subject and on a topic I know a little about, I wanted to share it here for you.   

Although reported sightings continue at present, down below represents alleged “hoaxes,” said in tongue in cheek, between the 1950s up to August 1965 outside of Monroe County, Michigan:

Bigfoot with apelike face brown orange hair and long fingernails growling and grunting at children on a sand dune near Caseville

8 foot Bigfoot seen crossing road near Felch Road

Dark colored apelike Bigfoot 6-7 feet in height on west side of road and open field turned head as father and son drive past

Large Bigfoot sighted shuffling across road in front of vehicle

3 girls walking along a wooded road when a large bipedal Bigfoot animal appears causing one girl to faint

Woman reports 9 feet tall Bigfoot weighing 500 pounds covered with black hair up to its neck, glowing eyes leaving 6" inch wide footprints chased her into her house at night

State Police Trooper spotted something 5-6 foot thing prancing up the highway in the glare of his headlights and skids in roadway to avoid collision calls it a Bigfoot a prank

Sheriff's deputies armed with rifles search nearby woods after ten frightened witnesses reported sightings 9 foot hairy creature but they “didn’t see anything” 

Couple sat in their car and watched a huge bipedal animal for several minutes, she says it was definitely an animal and not a man covered with reddish brown hair

A fruit picker driving with his brother saw a Bigfoot he described as a cross between a black  gorilla and a bear standing 9 foot tall in headlights near tree on side of road

Cass County Sheriff’s deputies found a footprint, 18 by 6 in. near barn where woman reports she was chased inside her house by Bigfoot creature at her farm near Dewey Lake

Bipedal animal leaving prints as big as (18 inches by 5 inches), described as a 9-foot tall monster, covered with black hair and with glowing eyes, caused terrified fruit pickers to leave their jobs in the fields

Man was in his car when a Bigfoot "Nain Rouge" smashed through his windshield. The man defended himself by kicking at the creature with its legs before he fainted

Sister Lakes Monster Bigfoot described as a 'creature taller than a bear and with red hands was sighted by man and wife on road

Large footprints of unknown bipedal animal found in mud

Man reports 7 foot tall dark hairy brown bipedal Bigfoot animal running across the road in the beam of his headlights

More than 200 police and volunteers searched for 2 year-old boy and his dog after he went missing from the backyard was found alive in the swamp the next day [How does a 2-year-old enter a swamp and survive? Refer to book Missing 411 for more puzzling similarities]

1st Incident Family reports seven foot tall Bigfoot creature seen standing under a tree with its arm draped under a branch. It watched them with no expression of interest until a male arrived with a gun, it fled back into the woods

2nd Incident same Family, location, a family dog that usually runs the woods for hours now sits and cowers under the porch when the Bigfoot creatures are nearby

Man claims he seen bizarre bipedal Bigfoot creature making guttural sounds and describes encounter as animal with large head thickset furry body, red fur and eyes and black hands

Man working on car on his property in rural heavily wooded area hears scream, smells odor, sees Bigfoot animal stepping over fence charging him

Large hairy Bigfoot animal reportedly spotted trying to grab chickens out of roof vent

Man driving home one night sees 9 foot Bigfoot hairy upright creature standing behind a bush next day he measures the bush and it was 9 foot tall

People in woods hear grunting behind them and see very muscular 7-8 foot Bigfoot with long swinging arms and dark brown matted hair crossing their path

Large Bigfoot creature darts out from trees crossing road in front of vehicle

Rocks the size of cantaloupes thrown into camp disrupting the group narrowly missing campers

Little girl playing sees long legs hanging from Bigfoot watching kids, she screamed and it charged [Watching kids, Refer to book Missing 411 for more puzzling similarities]

Children frightened by large black hairy figure with bright red eyes stepped sideways in woods just ahead of them out from the tree line watching them [Watching kids, Refer to book Missing 411 for more puzzling similarities]

Rabbit hunter in the field notices barefoot tracks about a size 12-13 shoe size in the snow that led to a marshy woods indicating large creature stepped over five foot fence

150 men and two helicopters at dawn today resumed the search for a missing Deer Hunter in swampland

2 1/2 year-old child playing outside their rural home screams about seeing a "Monster"

3 year-old girl vanished in the forest while accompanied by parents and a search 500 people with blood hounds found crying child on isle in middle of waist deep swamp 7 miles from earlier incident in 1958 [How does a three year old find their way in the middle of a deep swamp? Refer to book Missing 411]

4 year-old vanished in the forest while accompanied with brothers a search included troops, aircraft and horsemen found youth some distance away without clothes [Refer to book Missing 411 for puzzling similarities]

Large bipedal Bigfoot animal walks on top of pickup truck from the gulley

Fearing ridicule man would only say he seen Bigfoot animal in the woods

Search for an elderly deer hunter has been abandoned by Michigan State Police

Two men reported they were grabbed by a giant hairy Bigfoot with green eyes and bad odor and released only when a third companied pointed a rifle at it

Sheriff's department with other officers and volunteers searched for deer hunter

"Gorilla Swamp," west of town named  because 6 or 7 separate reports of a strange bipedal monster loose in a swamp just West of Charlotte

Man steps out of his outhouse sees tall upright Bigfoot creature who runs into woods screaming

Strange beast five feet high, hairy, with long forearms and a flesh –colored face seen by patrol officer

Witnesses exiting woods report eerie strong feeling as though something was watching causing their hair to stand up

Fisherman sitting on bank of the Saginaw River sees Bigfoot described as hairy manlike monster climbing up the river bank, leans on a tree, then returns to the river causing a nervous breakdown to witness

17-year-old hunter disappears in forest and a search conducted by County Sheriff's included 150 persons was called off after 6 days and he was never found [Refer to book Missing 411 for puzzling similarities]

A dozen local farmers hunting chased what they thought was a bear cub until it stood upright on two legs like a man covered in hair scarring the men

Scores of neighbors and deputy sheriffs searched the country near Utica for 28 months old missing baby and dog playing in their front yard [Refer to book Missing 411 for puzzling similarities]

### And it goes on and on ###
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 11:21:33 AM by whispers »

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2013, 10:38:24 AM »

Big Red Dog

Relative to Silas Doty, I followed the links and read the information and discovered some background on a scoundrel otherwise unknown to me. Thank you very much for sharing Big Red Dog.

As I was reading with eyes wide open about this local Robin Hood, Jesse James type folk hero, I was thinking why hasn’t Hollywood made a movie about this character, Silas Doty?

His adventures of thievery made famous in his own right have both local flavor and foreign appeal and intrigue as this miscreant rat thief scuttles around his hometown and Midwest always staying a step ahead of the law. Obviously, neither shame nor jail seemed to matter on the few occasions when caught and brought to justice since it failed to reform him or change his behavior.

By all accounts Doty was liked by people, hated by others no doubt on the receiving end of his misguided ways.  Few would argue that Silas or Siles, was a misguided man who created his character around a “Gordian Knot of falsehoods.”  (a metaphor used for problem solving by lying) Unbelievable!

All credit belongs to the aforementioned 'anonymous' contributor... 

I was only the messenger ;) ;) ;)

Interesting thoughts on a movie...   could be a 'produced in Michigan onsite' production 8) 8) 8)
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2013, 10:51:09 PM »

REAL Bigfoot caught on cam during military exercise in Holland
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

loser

• Hero Talker
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2013, 09:14:15 AM »

its zardoz
you know how much you miss my avitar

whispers

• Super Talker
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2013, 08:47:44 PM »

The latest Monroe County sightings:

September 2009
Within 5 miles of the 1965 sighting a passing motorist spotted what he thought was a bear or large black furry dog picking through roadside trash. The driver says his headlights caught the animal up ahead, and as the car approached, it raised up on two legs giving him a good look at an animal that was neither a bear nor dog, but more like an ape-man. 

May 2008
Two reports in the northeastern Monroe County area speak of a big strange animal peeking at people from behind trees, and another report of a large hairy creature throwing rocks at people. Both encounters were either at night or during early morning hours and one large human like footprint was found.   

October 2001
In the general vicinity bounded by M-50 and River Raisin several adults encountered an apelike creature 7-8 feet tall in the bed of a pickup rummaging through a cooler. It stood up, and jumped out when startled and howled before fleeing leaving the group in shock.

July 1993
Driver and passenger smelled thick odors, seen 7-8 foot reddish brown Bigfoot on side of road they blow their horn and it stands upright crosses road in front of vehicle near the northwestern  Monroe County area.

October 1983
Boys in woods saw a large Bigfoot animal covered in hair across a pond and shot it with BB gun, it screams stood up on two legs, swinging its arms around looking in all directions in the Dundee area.

September 1980
Hunter encounters large 7 foot reddish brown Bigfoot animal standing upright in southern Monroe County.

A more recent reported sighting was in the area of Blissfield near US-23 but I was unable to get all the details. If anyone has had any such experiences and would like them here please do by all means.

whispers

• Super Talker
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2013, 05:36:36 PM »

If anyone reading this “1965 Monroe Monster” series knows of large tracts of privately wooded and agricultural land in Monroe, and would like to know what inhabits the land, you may contact the individual below. They would need permission to enter the property and to walk property.

If you have experienced some of the oddities spelled out in this series i.e., strange screams in the woods at night or early morning  hours, seen something strange at night crossing the roads, found strange wood structures in the woods please contact the individual below.

If you would like to report an actual sighting or your experience please include: Date, Time, Location, Type of Report i.e. Screams or howls, color and size of animal, and if there any witnesses present with a summary of details.

All group participants are experienced adult outdoorsmen and Michigan residents with various previous professional specialty backgrounds joining together with respect for wildlife, property and the outdoors to document and research these encounters.

All reports and sightings are strictly confidential.

There have been a number of reported sightings in the county before during and following the 1965 Monroe incident, and we know there have been sporadic sightings since the early 1980s. Local habitat of dense wooded areas and marshes, agricultural fields and abundant wildlife in close proximity to water provide ideal living conditions for these animals.

In 1965, they called it a hoax but, I do not believe that to be the case and I would like to be on the leading edge of proving this right or wrong for a final time. I never knew the people involved in the case and they do not know me. When good folk are paraded in front of the public like frauds, liars, or hoaxsters for speaking out folks really we need to get a grip on reality. They were and continue to be the only true victims in that charade.

Exactly what they reported seeing on that hot summer night in August 1965, is exactly what many folks reported across the state two years earlier around the Sisters lake and Dewey Lakes region in southwest Michigan beginning in 1963 through 1964.

It was exactly what Michigan’s early Native American Indians already knew hundreds of years before.  In fact, nearly 700 sightings or encounters throughout Michigan have continued since the Monroe incident not by hoaxster’s or frauds or shills, but by law enforcement, military personnel, husband and wives, city workers, whole families, children, neighbors, hunters, motorists, campers, hikers, farmers some plain old church going folk.   

If you are a large land tract owner or know property owners described above that would consider giving a small group of former professional people permission to access your property to look for signs of this habitat, snap some photos, collect plaster casts if anything found, and remain completely confidential you can do so by contacting Bob D at email: bfstudent@wowway.com

whispers

• Super Talker
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2013, 05:44:57 PM »

Bob D. can also be reached at michiganbigfoot.org. You visit the website and puruse through similar hoaxes reported throughout the state.

whispers

• Super Talker
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2013, 01:12:08 PM »

After a long cool spring weather its time to move this topic along once again. Tiny and Big Red Dog could you check with people with an expertise in automotive matters and see if they can identify the year and make of car based on the left drivers door mirror shown in the now infamous photo of Christine Van Acker? I seem to think it looks very much like a 1959-1960 Chrysler but would like to hear some other opinions. Any ideas? 

whispers

• Super Talker
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2013, 02:01:57 PM »

In 2009, there was a unconfirmed report that claims a motorist broken down and had a brief encounter a large bipedal hairy hominid-like animal somewhere along I-75, between LaSalle and the Ohio state line. The man claims it was dark when he pulled his vehicle off he shoulder of the freeway. He was outside looking over his rear tire with his cell phone to his ear but the noise he heard coming from the tall grass was louder than sporadic cars and trucks zipping past. On one side of the freeway tall grass and the other side pristine fields dotted with copse of trees. He froze when this screaming creature appeared out of the grass as he ran to the safety of his car and locked the doors figuring he would wait for a tow truck. Is it possible? I do not know but it is just miles south of the September 2009 sighting reportedly in the area of northwest of I-75 and Nadeau Road.

To date, Michigan has over 836 reported sightings in nearly all counties of the state including four taking place this year and the earliest being 1634, before the Michigan Northwest Territory 1837.

Since the term "Bigfoot" and "Sasquatch" are relatively new to English speaking people, earlier native Americans and early settlers including Monroe's first settlers would have referred to them as "Wood Giants;" "Ape men," "Hairy Beast," "Wildman," and so forth.

Some of the Monroe viewers that I noticed on this media are very good historical researchers and their work is impressive. My challenge to you is that if you access old Monroe, Hillsdale, Jackson or Saline newspaper articles and search for topics listed above, I would like to know.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21   Go Up