MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Monroe History > Erie & Kalamazoo Railroad, first in Michigan and Monroe County

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Erie & Kalamazoo Railroad, first in Michigan and Monroe County  (Read 5107 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Erie & Kalamazoo Railroad, first in Michigan and Monroe County
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 10:25:28 PM »

That is commonly referred to as 'Lenawee Junction'...   it's a 'Y' junction now but in the 'good old days' it was a full on crossing.  The map below is from probably late 1800s.  The 'horizontal' line originated east of downtown Monroe...   ran right down First street (look how wide First is today east of the courthouse)...   turned and went behind the still standing mill across from the post office...  out along 7th street (several buildings now built in the former ROW) to Ida, to Petersburg, to Deerfield and then past the junction to Adrian!  The rails were removed years and years ago! 

Not all of them.  The wye is intact with manual throw switches.  The A&B switches head ends there.  Sometimes the rail club parks their cabooses on the north spur as well.  Thats the run that went through Deerfield, on too P'burg and Monroe too.  Like I said, some of the trestles are still intact and some of the right of way is still visible.

I need a rail speeder...lol
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2015, 10:26:59 AM »

Here's an article about an excursion in 1954 to Lenawee Junction with some photos:

http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/Stories/ToledoRailfansAssociationSpecialExcursion1954.htm
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2015, 10:48:31 PM »

Beautiful pictures.  I really like steam engines over diesel electric.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 07:45:41 AM »

Beautiful pictures.  I really like steam engines over diesel electric.

Here's some video of the Nickel Plate 765 hauling through Adrian last summer.  It's home is in Ft. Wayne.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-j6DY1dWBc

Pretty neat 'steam' show!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 01:19:48 PM by BigRedDog »

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2015, 07:57:04 AM »

Here's more on the Ft. Wayne Railroad Historical Society and the NP 765.

http://fortwaynerailroad.org/

It spent about a week last summer doing excursions in the metro D area...   it went up through Milan and made at least one trip down to Toledo through Monroe and back.

This is probably it's biggest 'showpiece':

www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2mU6jVcv4w

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2015, 09:02:32 AM »

Heading south through Monroe, July 6th, 2014:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvX40yAL3vs

This video starts in Monroe...   sounds like he was set up on the wrong tracks so had to use lots of zoom to record what he did!  Looks like the rest of the video is all around Toledo.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkH9pUm0c8Q

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2015, 07:32:15 PM »

great video's....

BTW, in the Coke video with the little boy watching the train, there is a mistake...  The condensate drain valves are shown open as the engine is going down the track.  The only time the condensate valveas are open is when the engine first starts out or is sitting idle for a while, not when running under load.

Those drain the cylinders of water that condenses on the cooler cylinder walls when theey are cold.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2015, 07:33:08 PM »

I have one of those whistles mounted on my shop outside.  CL don't like me to blow it however.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2015, 07:51:23 AM »

great video's....

BTW, in the Coke video with the little boy watching the train, there is a mistake...  The condensate drain valves are shown open as the engine is going down the track.  The only time the condensate valveas are open is when the engine first starts out or is sitting idle for a while, not when running under load.

Those drain the cylinders of water that condenses on the cooler cylinder walls when theey are cold.

Good catch!

The whole operation seems to be volunteers and many of them are teenage boys and girls so I don't doubt there are probably a few other mistakes in there somewhere.

There's an entire 'hobby' out there of catching stuff like this in movies.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2015, 09:36:16 AM »

When you come and get your spuds, you can toot my whistle....lol

Interesting that there is a 'hobby' catching mistakes.  I caught that one because I know what the valves are for and when they are open.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2015, 09:48:22 AM »

If you watch the vid's in your post 21, you can see the locomotive isn't blowing off steam from the cylinders at all, nothing coming from the bottom of the cylinder chests.  The valves are closed and the exhausted steam is being rerouted into the smoke box (at the front of the boiler) up through the smoke stack to provide induced draft for the fire in the boiler (at the back of the engine).  Thats how 'draft' is produced to exhaust the smoke.

Haven't you ever wondered how a locomotive gets away with such a short exhaust stack?  Part of the exhaust steam is used in a venturi effect to create artificial draft and the rest is run through a condenser and pumped back into the boiler (under pressure) as makeup water.  The pipe array on the side of the boiler is the ambient air condenser (to precipitate the spent low pressure steam back into water) to be reintroduced back into the bioler as makeup water.

When the Union Pacific ran their Big Boy on western tour a few years back, the smoke box caught on fire because the engineer wasn't venting enough steam into the smoke box venturi to create enough draft to expell the smoke.  That engine was fired on oil, not coal and oil takes more draft or the oil collects in the smoke box and eventually ignites.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2015, 10:05:26 AM »

When you come and get your spuds, you can toot my whistle....lol

Interesting that there is a 'hobby' catching mistakes.  I caught that one because I know what the valves are for and when they are open.

My Dad was a railroad guy in the Army during WWII...   across France, Belgium and Germany.  He was a crane operator.  We didn't take any of our own trains over there so we had to make do with what was there.  Some of it was in just plain bad repair...  some had been sabotaged.  There was very little 'standard gauge' across Europe...   so as they crossed borders they'd have to do the same things all over again.

When they'd move into an area he would find a crane and go to work getting it in running order...   then they could use that to start moving everything else.  They'd find several locomotives and maybe make one or two 'running engines' out of what they found.  Then they would rebuild the rails and rail beds themselves and start moving 'forward' to supply the troops.

He spent a lot of his time in France...

I remember him saying many, many times that they stayed at Louie's Place...   he had lots of pictures and some books with lots of pictures.

Then when I was in high school and we were studying world history I saw a picture one day I recognized...

it was Louie's Place from my Dad's pictures...

also known as the Palace at Versailles...

and huge rail yards nearby!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2015, 10:09:04 AM »

Interesting that there is a 'hobby' catching mistakes.

Here's one of many websites related:

http://www.moviemistakes.com/

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2015, 09:35:18 PM »

If I get a speeder, you and I are gonna take a trip....
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up