MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > For GOP and tea party, a growing divide

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: For GOP and tea party, a growing divide  (Read 499 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
For GOP and tea party, a growing divide
« on: December 07, 2012, 10:35:38 AM »

But for members of the GOP establishment like McConnell, DeMint was also something else: A significant roadblock in their efforts to achieve a Senate majority. To be sure, DeMint championed staunch conservative Republican senators who have managed to get elected, among them Utah's Mike Lee, Kentucky's Rand Paul, and Texas' Ted Cruz. He was also an early financial backer of Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, who is seen as one of the leading contenders for the 2016 GOP presidential nomination.

Yet DeMint also backed candidates who lost races that the GOP establishment justifiably believed were eminently winnable: Christine O'Donnell in Delaware, Ken Buck in Colorado, Richard Mourdock in Indiana, Sharron Angle in Nevada. (DeMint did not formally back Angle until after she won her primary.) DeMint's willingness to bet on relatively conservative candidates in relatively moderate states frustrated many in the Republican establishment, some of whom believe that they might now control the Senate had DeMint and his allies not stepped in. DeMint also complicated Republican efforts to move legislation on the Senate floor, chafing at arrangements and legislation that Republican leaders viewed as pragmatic steps necessary to achieve larger goals.

More at:  http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57557660/for-gop-and-tea-party-a-growing-divide/
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
Re: For GOP and tea party, a growing divide
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 07:31:58 PM »

There is some serious divide building in that party.  Stay tuned on this one.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 07:53:40 PM »

I think this is a good thing.  I believe that removing the social agenda that many on the right wish to push onto the American people could be an enhancement toward addressing the real troubles we have in America - the debt. 
"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt

ducksoup

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 11:27:49 PM »

I think this is a good thing.  I believe that removing the social agenda that many on the right wish to push onto the American people could be an enhancement toward addressing the real troubles we have in America - the debt. 

I think it is deeper than that.  I think Boehner really does want to negotiate deals but cannot because of tea opposition.  Frankly the debt crisis hostage taking hurt the R's in Washington pretty bad, IMO. 
After one taste, you'll duck soup the rest of your life ... Groucho Marx.

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 01:54:26 AM »

I think it is deeper than that.  I think Boehner really does want to negotiate deals but cannot because of tea opposition.  Frankly the debt crisis hostage taking hurt the R's in Washington pretty bad, IMO. 

Agreed.  I also think it hurts all of us. 
"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt

jbs49238

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 02:33:54 AM »

I think you are 100% correct duck.  If we can all remember back to when the "tea party" started getting a ton of support around here it was the ultra right Kopkesque type Republicans who suddenly found their "fiscal conservative" side.

The hard right then moved into and became the "teas" who are now standing in the way of compromise and resonable decision making.  The "tea" and the old school GOP are one and the same, actually have been from day one.  "Tea" was only a means for keeping the base together for another election cycle or two. 

We have seen the result of the "teas"... they made is possible to nominate a candidate for POTUS that turned enough voters to keep even the most inept of Administrations in the White House for another 4 years.

The Republican Party is all but dead and it will be interesting to see what rises (and how long it takes) from the ashes.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 07:17:35 AM »

Yea, I think the Republican party is dead too, brought on by their own stubbornness and adopting things in their party platform that drove moderates right out of association with them.  Dead and gone.....played right into the hands of Obama and appear as nothing but old establishment obstructionist grid locking government.

Adios morons, I can't see them rising out of the ashes with the leadership in the party that they have today.  Change that and they may stand a chance.

Now.....if the same act of beauty would fall on to the Democratic Party we may really see some changes in government for the good.  I'd like to see "The Common f'ing Sense" party spawn out of them.   One that recognizes that the way out of this mess lies in a combination of tax increases across the board are necessary with dramatic decreases in spending as well.  One that recognizes that big business and special interest groups are polluting even their own party and makes the hard decision to tell those groups to go F off.  One that recognizes wild spending to further increase our national debt may not be the cure for the economy, and come up with a solution to at the very least balance the budget.

Wow....I guess coffee and getting stoned this time of day turns me into an idealistic idiot.

ducksoup

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 07:42:49 AM »

I think you are 100% correct duck. If we can all remember back to when the "tea party" started getting a ton of support around here it was the ultra right Kopkesque type Republicans who suddenly found their "fiscal conservative" side.

The hard right then moved into and became the "teas" who are now standing in the way of compromise and resonable decision making. The "tea" and the old school GOP are one and the same, actually have been from day one. "Tea" was only a means for keeping the base together for another election cycle or two.

We have seen the result of the "teas"... they made is possible to nominate a candidate for POTUS that turned enough voters to keep even the most inept of Administrations in the White House for another 4 years.

The Republican Party is all but dead and it will be interesting to see what rises (and how long it takes) from the ashes.

On POTUS…  It seems years ago, before the primaries I said that the R’s would end up with a weak nominee because they wanted Obama to stay.  I personally think they liked that they were getting what they wanted while all the time being the extreme opposition.  They were negotiating from a position of strength, give us what we want or we oppose everything, and it worked.  It probably would still be working if they weren’t sent a message that the voters were on to it.  I did expect Obama to win but barely.  I was shocked that it was so handily.  I don’t know what to call it, but the final tally was 53-47% and find the coincidence of the 47% figure interesting or something.

I don’t find Obama all that great.  He is a slightly right of center career politician. 

Anyway, I am not so sure that the R’s are toast.  If the extremists keep the hold that they have had then you may be correct.  If they move back to somewhat closer to moderate they will recover just fine.

ducksoup

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 07:55:15 AM »

Yea, I think the Republican party is dead too, brought on by their own stubbornness and adopting things in their party platform that drove moderates right out of association with them.  Dead and gone.....played right into the hands of Obama and appear as nothing but old establishment obstructionist grid locking government.

Adios morons, I can't see them rising out of the ashes with the leadership in the party that they have today.  Change that and they may stand a chance.

Now.....if the same act of beauty would fall on to the Democratic Party we may really see some changes in government for the good.  I'd like to see "The Common f'ing Sense" party spawn out of them.   One that recognizes that the way out of this mess lies in a combination of tax increases across the board are necessary with dramatic decreases in spending as well.  One that recognizes that big business and special interest groups are polluting even their own party and makes the hard decision to tell those groups to go F off.  One that recognizes wild spending to further increase our national debt may not be the cure for the economy, and come up with a solution to at the very least balance the budget.

Wow....I guess coffee and getting stoned this time of day turns me into an idealistic idiot.

Cap'n... my thinking is that nothing from either party is ever about "fixing" anything for the population.  Look at anything that they do and it is for the benefit of the wealthy in one way or another.  It is all payback or pay forward for that million dollar job or whatever.  I believe that is completely what all the privatization of schools is.  They see big money to be made and it is absolutely not anything to do with making schools better, just profits.

A second part of it is that they really believe that the economic problems are temporary.  I used to think that, which was why I was in favor of stimulus back then.  That is the correct solution to a short term economic downturn.  Now, I believe that jobs are plain gone and won't come back.  The rush to lower wages at all cost will continue and both combined will keep revenue (taxes collected) down forever.  So, that means serious cuts.  But then the question is where.  Do we cut for those that can least afford it as some always push? 

I suppose, just for me, I heard all the "shared sacrifice" BS that never seemed to touch the rich ones that caused the collapse in the first place.  Also, I see quick trades are raising costs artificially and is hurting us.  That reliance on major bucks being made quick trade rather than long term investment in companies that make things is crippling job creation.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 08:16:09 AM »

One of the primary motivators to remove big business and special interests from politics then wouldn't you say?

Until that happens, they own the government.....not the people!

TLaitur

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 12:01:59 PM »

I think Boehner really does want to negotiate deals but cannot because of TEA opposition.

Good post Duck.  You were able to make an opinion concerning the tea(party) and not slip into perjorative speech.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
The Fall of The Right: 'Republican' is Officially a 'Dirty' Word
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 02:03:16 PM »

Severely Conservative: The GOP Lurches 'Off The Rails' into The Abyss of Extremism

The Image-Cliff: The Republican Brand Sinks To a New Low With Huge Negative Rating

Tea-Party, Tax-Goon Grover Norquist: "Bi-Partisanship is Another Name For 'Date Rape'"
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
John Stuart Mill

Willful ignorance, PaTROLLing, bullying, dishonesty, and hypocrisy are among the traits that are common amongst those that espouse the Republican/Conservative/Tea Party ideology.

A non-response doesn't mean you've won, it merely means the obnoxious, illiterate, right-wing morons have taken too much of my time already.

April 11, 2008
"French Fry, please come back."
Dan Shaw (Managing Editor at Monroe Evening News)
That's right. Still the only one invited to be a member of the forum so suck it up jealous fools.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
How Many Friends Can Republicans Afford to Lose?
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 02:05:23 PM »

How Many Friends Can Republicans Afford to Lose?

Republicans crushed a weaker opponent in Michigan this week, passing a right- to-work law that infuriated unions. But the effort -- an attempt to defund and depopulate Democratic campaigns by defunding and depopulating unions – points to some of the difficulties Republicans face due to a diminished coalition.

The law exempted Republican-friendly police officers and fire fighters, thereby underscoring the naked politics behind it. But more than 17 percent of Michigan workers are members of a union, one of the highest rates of unionization in the nation.

Crushing unions benefits Republicans. Given that white working-class men are one of the last loyal Republican constituencies, however, the victory is not necessarily cost-free. According to exit polls, 14 percent of voters in the Michigan Republican primary in February were union members. It’s doubtful Republicans gained any new supporters with their action this week; it’s possible they lost a few.

Back in Washington, House Speaker John Boehner is trying to avoid offending an even more crucial constituency: the elderly. Mitt Romney lost big among young people in November but he beat Barack Obama among voters between the ages of 45 and 64 by 51 to 47. Among voters 65 and older, it was Romney who won big, 56 to 44.

Boehner wants to wring concessions from Obama largely in the form of cuts to Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security. Most of the beneficiaries of those programs have something in common beyond their good looks, which is why Boehner is desperate to avoid Republican fingerprints on the cuts.

Once Republicans get through cutting benefits to the elderly, perhaps they’ll look for concessions from Nascar fans living below the Mason-Dixon line.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-14/how-many-friends-can-republicans-afford-to-lose-.html
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
John Stuart Mill

Willful ignorance, PaTROLLing, bullying, dishonesty, and hypocrisy are among the traits that are common amongst those that espouse the Republican/Conservative/Tea Party ideology.

A non-response doesn't mean you've won, it merely means the obnoxious, illiterate, right-wing morons have taken too much of my time already.

April 11, 2008
"French Fry, please come back."
Dan Shaw (Managing Editor at Monroe Evening News)
That's right. Still the only one invited to be a member of the forum so suck it up jealous fools.

SMASH

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 02:44:29 PM »

Just as the Wilsonian Progressives of the Left hijacked the term Liberal for their own sick and twisted agenda, the NeoCon Publicans hijacked the Tea Party name from the 9-11 Truth organizations.

The first Tea Party event was held in Boston when the 9-11 folks threw the newly released 9-11 Commission Report in Boston Harbor.
While the 9-11 Truth folks were systematically being derided and minimalized the NeoCons grabbed the momentum and ran with the name.

Don't believe anything you hear about the new Tea Party, they are nothing more than NeoCon warmongers in disguise. While they ramble on about taxes they consistantly support the on going efforts of this goverment to police the world. They are the Establishment of the GOP and will lock step support who ever the Party puts up for office.

You need look no further than Monroe County to experience the divide in the GOP. The on going purge and minimalization of Libertarian leaning Republicans is on going and the look of disgust on the faces of newly elected Precinct Delegates is priceless!

The last two local Conventions were something to see.

I am waiting with curious anticipation the outcome of the lawsuit filed by the local Party against one of it's own duly elected Precinct Delegates.
What I really want to know is who is paying for the representation OF the local Party in this lawsuit, and if there was ever a vote of either the Precinct Delegates or the Executive Committee to engage in this lawsuit?

Boston Tea Party for 9/11 Truth
Pages: [1]   Go Up