MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Democracy is almost dead!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Democracy is almost dead!  (Read 720 times)

sammy

• Hero Talker
Re: Democracy is almost dead!
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 07:15:16 PM »

I seriously doubt many in this nation would climb on the revolution bandwagon, unless it involved the Beatles. We are much too complacent as a people to go that route, IMO.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 07:23:23 PM »

Good points Moaner.

A takeover transition would make a great thread as to what one would change.

I'd fix what we have....but get out the lobbying COMPLETELY out of the system, HEAVY punishment for government fraud, nearly ELIMINATE foreign aid, and determine where do we REALLY need military bases abroad everywhere we currently have them and close the rest.

That's where I'd start if I had the title "King".

I think a revolt here now would be squashed so quickly and violently that we would then see just how much of a democracy we live in.....none at all.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

ducksoup

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 07:30:31 PM »

Good points Moaner.

A takeover transition would make a great thread as to what one would change.

I'd fix what we have....but get out the lobbying COMPLETELY out of the system, HEAVY punishment for government fraud, nearly ELIMINATE foreign aid, and determine where do we REALLY need military bases abroad everywhere we currently have them and close the rest.

That's where I'd start if I had the title "King".

I think a revolt here now would be squashed so quickly and violently that we would then see just how much of a democracy we live in.....none at all.
That certainly would be  a great start.  also eliminate campaign money and make the dolts do what they are supposed to and talk to constituents.

Also, it seems that instead of laws that don't apply to them, make it more responsible and if caught doing illegal like bribes a harsher sentence.
After one taste, you'll duck soup the rest of your life ... Groucho Marx.

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 07:50:12 PM »

there's the rub though, Cap'n.  The tea baggers want even more radical than they have now.  the left want someone on the left instead of the middle.  No one wins but those that own the politicians and pull their strings. 

We will never get the huge money out of politics because that is the only reason that they are there.  So what does that leave?

Agreed.  I think Speaker Bohner did the right thing by removing may of the "tea party" folks from leadership roles.  He may pay for it with his job and if so .  . . wow.  That said, civility needs to return. 

Monique is right in her post, no question.  The problem, IMO, is that we have grown so course with language and name calling that it dehumanizes each other.  Consider how common name calling has become.  Your post for instance (and no, I'm not picking on your post, I'm using it as an example of how we have gotten so detached to the names) that you call them "tea baggers" when you know that is a sexual term.  Having said that . . . something has to give. 
"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 07:59:41 PM »

That certainly would be  a great start.  also eliminate campaign money and make the dolts do what they are supposed to and talk to constituents.

Yea, I misused the word "lobbying" when I should have used campaign reform, including getting rid of lobbying.  Campaign reform should be demanded by the public (viva la revolucion) buy elimination of contributions from businesses and unions alike.

ducksoup

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2012, 11:15:38 PM »

Yea, I misused the word "lobbying" when I should have used campaign reform, including getting rid of lobbying.  Campaign reform should be demanded by the public (viva la revolucion) buy elimination of contributions from businesses and unions alike.

Actually no campaign money at all.  They can talk to constituents and do what they are supposed to instead.
After one taste, you'll duck soup the rest of your life ... Groucho Marx.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 06:14:14 AM »

It's time.....Viva La Revolucion!

Hell, civil disobedience training classes are now being offered locally.  Unfortunately not the level of disobedience required to bring about change but will humor government just a little.....ya see how well the "Occupy" disobedience brought about total change now don't ya!

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/wayne_county/hundreds-of-activists-attend-civil-disobedience-training-ahead-of-next-weeks-planned-protests

SMASH

• Hero Talker
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2012, 02:09:55 PM »

Truth to tell, this country is not now, and never has been,a democracy, nor was it intended to be.
The 17th Amendment in 1913 killed the remnants of the Republic. Democracy reigns!
Embrace it!
Look how well it is working in Eygpt and Libya.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up