MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > In the wake of the Connecticut and Oregon should the US consider "gun laws"?

Poll

Does America need more restictive gun laws?

Yes, all "guns" should be banned.
- 5 (6.8%)
No, we should not ban any weapons.
- 9 (12.2%)
No, but those with a history of mental illness (including childhood) should not have guns.
- 11 (14.9%)
Yes, Americans should not have any "automatic" weapons.
- 10 (13.5%)
New laws will not change "violent" people from doing "violent" acts.
- 39 (52.7%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Voting closed: December 20, 2012, 09:19:48 AM

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 61   Go Down

Author Topic: In the wake of the Connecticut and Oregon should the US consider "gun laws"?  (Read 18461 times)

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: Dick's Sporting Goods temporarily suspends sales of AR rifles!
« Reply #285 on: December 18, 2012, 12:31:06 PM »

I wasn't referring to Dick's...Sorry!
I was referring to the increased sales in the area. Several stores around this area are selling out of them.

And you don't need to be a GOB to get one, as I was able to pick up a Rock River Arms LAR-15 Pistol at a good price this morning!

I saw that one - if I had a store I would keep one under the counter.  I just didn't get it because I wasn't sure what it would be good for in my collection.

Good purchase!  I feel sorry for the poor fool that decides to rob Frenchies.....
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
Re: In the wake of the Connecticut and Oregon should the US consider "gun laws"?
« Reply #286 on: December 18, 2012, 12:37:54 PM »

If a gun owner has unsecured guns stolen then they really are not very "law abiding" are they? 

If all of these "illegal guns" are being taken from innocent "law abiding" citizens then clearly the law abiding citizens are not doing a very good job of holding onto their guns, ergo the "average law abiding citizen" who's right you claim to be trying to protect are the ones really causing the entire problem? 

OK . . . just having fun with this (my youngest is napping and I am bored . . ) so don't take offense. 

Following your analogy here is a thought.  Banks get robbed.  Criminals use the money purchase drugs or other things and then engage in more crime - viola - outlaw money because banks are not being responsible. 

wait, wait . . .

Criminals rob to get the base chemicals used for Crystal Meth from hardware stores.  Crystal Meth users commit more crime to get access to drugs.  These criminals (and those addicted to substances) clog up the courts and jails costing untold tax dollars - viola - ban hardware stores for not being responsible. 

OK - I am being silly with this and I admit that but to be fair it is the same logic.  We are not addressing the underlying issue of mental illness and how do we confront and help those who suffer from it before they cause suffering to the community. 
"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
Re: In the wake of the Connecticut and Oregon should the US consider "gun laws"?
« Reply #287 on: December 18, 2012, 12:39:58 PM »

Good purchase!  I feel sorry for the poor fool that decides to rob Frenchies.....

You can't be serious . . . there is CRIME in Monroe . . . . do tell . . .
"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt

jbs49238

• Hero Talker
« Reply #288 on: December 18, 2012, 12:42:13 PM »

Will,

If I had an answer you would tell me I was wrong anyway.

Do I know how to get every illegal gun off the street?  No!  Neither do you!  I do know the best way to keep new illegal guns off the street... limit the number owned by any one person and treat them all the same, same process for every gun.

We all seem to realize there is a problem but yet several thousand more new guns get stamped out every day in the hopes they will become "legal" and land in the hand or "responsible law abiding citizens".  And that is all... we HOPE they land that way, but you seem unwilling to to waver from the stance that we should produce those guns so that "law abiding citizens" have a chance to buy them, all while basically refusing to admit that this overabundance of guns IS THE PROBLEM.

I skip over the mental illness part because it is secondary to the real problem.  You harped on CHicago yourself... 517 was it?  27 killed due to mental illness in one day is a great tragdy Will, but you are right 517 is even greater, but no one is invoking mental illness in the 517.  That is why I "skip" over that issue... it is highly irrelevant when compared to the total body county created by the problem.  A lack of sensible gun control that has lead to a staggering numbers of illegal guns.

jbs49238

• Hero Talker
« Reply #289 on: December 18, 2012, 12:47:42 PM »

OK . . . just having fun with this (my youngest is napping and I am bored . . ) so don't take offense. 

Following your analogy here is a thought.  Banks get robbed.  Criminals use the money purchase drugs or other things and then engage in more crime - viola - outlaw money because banks are not being responsible. 

wait, wait . . .

Criminals rob to get the base chemicals used for Crystal Meth from hardware stores.  Crystal Meth users commit more crime to get access to drugs.  These criminals (and those addicted to substances) clog up the courts and jails costing untold tax dollars - viola - ban hardware stores for not being responsible. 

OK - I am being silly with this and I admit that but to be fair it is the same logic.  We are not addressing the underlying issue of mental illness and how do we confront and help those who suffer from it before they cause suffering to the community. 

Big swing... bigger miss!!!

Banks don't leave the cash on the counter Will!

Mental illness is NOT THE ISSUE!

GUNS ARE THE ISSUE!

27 people didn't die because that kid had a mental illness.  27 people died because that kid had a mental illness AND HAD ACCESS TO GUNS!

Glad you are having fun with the death of 27 people.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 12:49:44 PM by jbs49238 »

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #290 on: December 18, 2012, 12:50:35 PM »

You can't be serious . . . there is CRIME in Monroe . . . . do tell . . .

Nope.  There sure is crime in Monroe.  It is reported daily in the Monroe Evening News.

I just don't understand why some people would rather steal then work - but those are the facts.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #291 on: December 18, 2012, 12:54:02 PM »

I saw that one - if I had a store I would keep one under the counter.  I just didn't get it because I wasn't sure what it would be good for in my collection.

The poor fool yes...

the professional not so much...

open the front door, toss in a canister of tear gas...   count to 30 and go in wearing a gas mask and take all the jewelry plus the weaponry...

If someone wants it bad enough they will find a way...

all you can guard against are some of the local thugs...

fortunately most of the pros aren't even going to bother getting off of I75 for a town like Monroe :o :o :o
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #292 on: December 18, 2012, 12:59:23 PM »

The poor fool yes...

the professional not so much...

open the front door, toss in a canister of tear gas...   count to 30 and go in wearing a gas mask and take all the jewelry plus the weaponry...

If someone wants it bad enough they will find a way...

all you can guard against are some of the local thugs...

fortunately most of the pros aren't even going to bother getting off of I75 for a town like Monroe :o :o :o

There may be a gas mask behind the counter too.....

One can't be too prepared.

That is why I would throw in a flash-bang if I was going to pull such a heist - not that I would.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #293 on: December 18, 2012, 01:01:41 PM »

This is an interesting thread...

I'm especially interested in the thoughts on what a homeowner should be doing to secure their weapons.  Gun safes have certainly become much more popular and affordable in the last 20 years but should they be mandatory.  Should you have to purchase and install the safe before you can purchase your first weapon? 

And again...  if someone wants your gun or guns bad enough they will find a way to get them.  There is no such thing as a safe that can't be stolen in it's entirety (unless it is built in place).

I just Googled looking for info on the numbers of guns that are stolen from armories and police stations even...   it's a lot and I'll bet they're better protected than most home gun safes would be...

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=guns+stolen+from+armory&oq=guns+stolen+from+armory&gs_l=hp.3...6220.13959.0.14421.25.19.1.5.5.1.441.5092.0j5j9j2j3.19.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.w4QUOHoLjBg&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.dmQ&fp=a7e118819f5e1e5b&bpcl=40096503&biw=1120&bih=609

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #294 on: December 18, 2012, 01:04:52 PM »

There may be a gas mask behind the counter too.....

One can't be too prepared.

That is why I would throw in a flash-bang if I was going to pull such a heist - not that I would.

I've had a few sessions of tear gas training in the Army...

if you don't have the mask on when the canister explodes you won't be able to get it on fast enough to do much good...  plus I have to think if they're going to that much trouble they'll probably be armed too...    and they have the element of surprise!!!

But again...  probably not going to happen in Monroe 8* 8* 8*

Flanders

• Hero Talker
« Reply #295 on: December 18, 2012, 01:22:41 PM »

We all seem to realize there is a problem but yet several thousand more new guns get stamped out every day

Don't forget printed..  the future is coming.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/142265-the-first-open-source-3d-printed-gun

Shut down the internet, confiscate all computers and 3D printers, burn all the resins. 

Because JBS says guns are the problem, not the crazy evil people using them.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #296 on: December 18, 2012, 01:24:10 PM »

if you don't have the mask on when the canister explodes you won't be able to get it on fast enough to do much good...  plus I have to think if they're going to that much trouble they'll probably be armed too...    and they have the element of surprise!!!

I hope not.

I have no problem requiring gun owners to procure a safe that meets a certain time to be broken into and can't be moved by under XXXX people....

There should also be regulations about who and who can't have the key or combination for said safe.

I recently purchased a new safe that is far more secure and is not easily moved.  My wife knows where the combination is written down - and that is also in a secured area, but I am the only one who can quickly access it. 

I don't want my guns running around the streets without me - and I don't want my kids or their friends getting into them.

With gun ownership comes responsibility.  Most of us know that and go beyond that, but for some a law would spell out "common sense" for them.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #297 on: December 18, 2012, 01:29:43 PM »

I have a home safe about 2ft sq.  Instead of just bolting it to the floor I build a cabinet around it with 2X6" that I bolted to the floor and elevated the safe 18" off the floor so it's easier to get into to.  I then bolted the safe to the 2x6 elevated frame. Made the cabinet out of plywood and painted the cabinet the same color as the dressers.  Conceals the safe and one would need a sledge and crowbar to get it out, maybe...
I keep a steel gun safe in my truck under the back seat, locked to the seat frame with a cable in case i go into an area i can't carry.

Brian Beneteau

• Hero Talker
« Reply #298 on: December 18, 2012, 01:34:28 PM »

No one can ever be prepared for everything, but you do what you can and always have the hold up buttons at the desks. Not to mention that my bench is in the rear of the store, away from the sales floor. With a buzzer on the door, and new cameras, plus being armed, you do what you can to protect the family. And Monroe Native should know that in my opinion, the best protection whether home or office, is a 12 guage shotgun with OO Buckshot!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #299 on: December 18, 2012, 01:54:54 PM »

No one can ever be prepared for everything, but you do what you can and always have the hold up buttons at the desks. Not to mention that my bench is in the rear of the store, away from the sales floor. With a buzzer on the door, and new cameras, plus being armed, you do what you can to protect the family. And Monroe Native should know that in my opinion, the best protection whether home or office, is a 12 guage shotgun with OO Buckshot!

I agree no one can always be prepared for everything...   

maybe we need to start a new thread...  "how to rob a jewelry store" since we're getting 'off topic' somewhat...

If you come to our house and make it past the outside dog and then the inside dogs you'll be staring down the barrel of a 16 gauge with 00 buck...   but once I've pulled the trigger I doubt you'll know the difference if it was a 16...12... or a 10 gauge...   my grandfather had a 10...  wish I still had it!!!

I have a home safe about 2ft sq.  Instead of just bolting it to the floor I build a cabinet around it with 2X6" that I bolted to the floor and elevated the safe 18" off the floor so it's easier to get into to.  I then bolted the safe to the 2x6 elevated frame. Made the cabinet out of plywood and painted the cabinet the same color as the dressers.  Conceals the safe and one would need a sledge and crowbar to get it out, maybe...
I keep a steel gun safe in my truck under the back seat, locked to the seat frame with a cable in case i go into an area i can't carry.

I like the idea of concealment blue...  most crimes like this they like to get in...   grab what they can and get out...   they may even just tell their friends about the gun safe so they can come back later...  but if they don't see it quick maybe they'll never know it's there.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 61   Go Up