MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Recipe Exchange > Christmas Cookies / Holiday Baking

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Christmas Cookies / Holiday Baking  (Read 4731 times)

Monique

• Hero Talker
Christmas Cookies / Holiday Baking
« on: December 18, 2012, 07:01:45 PM »

Too much sadness this weekend, I have to have some 'cook therapy.' I did make some Italian soul food yesterday (big pot of minestrone), but that's not enough. Must have cookies!

An old, old, OLD MT friend  ;) shared this site with me way back in the day. It's still a great resource for all kinds of holiday baked goods recipes:

http://www.northpole.com/Kitchen/Cookbook/

I'm about to spend the evening deciding what to bake tomorrow.

Any favorite cookie recipes?

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Christmas Cookies / Holiday Baking
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 07:08:19 PM »

Too much sadness this weekend, I have to have some 'cook therapy.' I did make some Italian soul food yesterday (big pot of minestrone), but that's not enough. Must have cookies!

An old, old, OLD MT friend  ;) shared this site with me way back in the day. It's still a great resource for all kinds of holiday baked goods recipes:

My wife's grandmother's favorite Christmas cookie...  frosted nutmeg logs :) :) :)

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Frosted-Nutmeg-Logs-2
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Skittelroo

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 07:10:55 PM »

Looks like good recipes there.  Thanks.

I don't do much holiday baking these days, since hubby is diabetic and I sure don't need the temptation.  We get plates full of goodies from a few neighbors.  But I miss my own brownies, snickerdoodles, and fudge.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 07:46:09 PM »

I can't find the Hungarian walnut kiffles recipe that me and my youngest have made in the past, but this is pretty close.  I used to eat these until I would have to roll out of the room when I was a kid.

This one is pretty close, but instead of cream cheese our recipe calls for dry cottage cheese.  It makes for a lighter dough, but I have only found dry curd cottage cheese up here once....when Farmer Jacks was open.

HUNGARIAN KIFFLES   
DOUGH:

4 c. flour
1/2 lb. butter
1/2 lb. margarine
2 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese

Mix together and refrigerate dough overnight.

FILLING:

1 lb. walnuts, ground
1 c. sugar (or more, to taste)
Pet (evaporated) milk (to make a thick consistency)

Roll dough to about 1/8" thickness, using powdered sugar instead of flour. Cut dough in squares, add filling and roll, pinching edges.

Bake at 350°F for approximately 20 minutes or until brown. Bake on greased cookie sheet.

Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 07:55:46 PM »

This one is pretty close, but instead of cream cheese our recipe calls for dry cottage cheese.  It makes for a lighter dough, but I have only found dry curd cottage cheese up here once....when Farmer Jacks was open.

Have you tried at Calder Dairy?
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 08:00:20 PM »

No.....good idea though, thanks.

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

Skittelroo

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 08:02:21 PM »

drooling.... kiffles are one we get from a neighbor and I horde them from being shared.  ;D

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 08:04:40 PM »

No.....good idea though, thanks.

If that doesn't work I'm sure there's an Amish dairy around somewhere that makes it!

sammy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »

Not Christmasy, but for me nothing beats a good old-fashioned chocolate chip cookie. Not too crispy, thanks.

T-M-T

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 08:22:05 PM »

I love the frosted Christmas cookies, DO NOT forget the anise!

My second favorites are the round ones with powdered sugar.  Snowballs, Mexican wedding cakes and Russian tea cakes are three of the many names they go by.

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 08:28:50 PM »

My second favorites are the round ones with powdered sugar.  Snowballs, Mexican wedding cakes and Russian tea cakes are three of the many names they go by.
These are the first ones H asked for, too!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 07:10:15 PM »

These aren't really a Christmas cookie...  but my wife made a batch last night to give for Christmas gifts so I guess they should qualify for Holiday Baking 8* 8* 8*

These have 376 calories per cookie so I can only have about 2 a week :o :o :o

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Recipe and more info at:  http://relish.com/recipes/peanut-butter-chocolate-chip/

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 09:13:12 PM »

I always like to add a small hand full of seeds to my Christmas Brownies along with a good fresh quarter ounce of.....WHOA, wait, never mind.

tnweasel

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 10:21:59 PM »

as a southerner.....I had never eaten an Anise cookie until we moved to Michigan.... my neighbor shared his mother's recipe with me several years ago and they have become a staple to our cookie list..... LOVE them!!! we also make milk chocolate fudge, peanut butter fudge, cut outs, multi-colors(shortbread), white chocolate chip, white chocolate covered pretzels, chocolate covered pretzels, Oreo truffles, gingerbread, peppermint bark, wreaths(cornflakes & marshmallows)....I don't care much for cookies myself but the kids and the husband love them...plus we share with neighbors, friends, husband's and son's coworkers......it's just a good time for us.... takes us about three days of 'baking' and listening to classical Christmas music and the good ole' oldies with Sinatra, Crosby, Clooney, Elvis and Dean Martin...well you get the idea!....this is Christmas to me and in the wake of the events of the past week.... am grateful to have my family close....
"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did better." ~Maya Angelou

“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes to us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”  ~John Wayne

NewDawn

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 05:57:42 AM »

as a southerner.....I had never eaten an Anise cookie until we moved to Michigan.... my neighbor shared his mother's recipe with me several years ago and they have become a staple to our cookie list..... LOVE them!!! we also make milk chocolate fudge, peanut butter fudge, cut outs, multi-colors(shortbread), white chocolate chip, white chocolate covered pretzels, chocolate covered pretzels, Oreo truffles, gingerbread, peppermint bark, wreaths(cornflakes & marshmallows)....I don't care much for cookies myself but the kids and the husband love them...plus we share with neighbors, friends, husband's and son's coworkers......it's just a good time for us.... takes us about three days of 'baking' and listening to classical Christmas music and the good ole' oldies with Sinatra, Crosby, Clooney, Elvis and Dean Martin...well you get the idea!....this is Christmas to me and in the wake of the events of the past week.... am grateful to have my family close....

Wow...you have been busy! That is alot of sweets and alot of work.
As of midnight, I have completed frosted/decorated sugar cookie cut-outs, snowball pecan sandies, peanut butter chocolate kiss cookies. peanut butter fudge balls, coconut fudge balls, chocolate and walnut fudge balls and plain chocolate fudge. Everything came out great!
everyday is a new beginning....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up