MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Recipe Exchange > Christmas Cookies / Holiday Baking

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Christmas Cookies / Holiday Baking  (Read 4255 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Christmas Cookies / Holiday Baking
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 07:44:25 AM »

as a southerner.....I had never eaten an Anise cookie until we moved to Michigan.... my neighbor shared his mother's recipe with me several years ago and they have become a staple to our cookie list..... 

Thank you for sharing that tnweasel.  I grew up with my mother making the Anise cookies...   lots of them...  so I assumed they were a southern cookie since she was from south Georgia.

Now I'm wondering where she got the recipe ??? ??? ???
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 08:26:51 AM »

I always thought anise cookies were Italian!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2012, 08:45:01 AM »

They are!  Maybe there were Italians in Georgia and Michigan and not in Tennessee :o :o :o

tnweasel

• Hero Talker
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2012, 09:54:11 AM »

Wow...you have been busy! That is alot of sweets and alot of work.
As of midnight, I have completed frosted/decorated sugar cookie cut-outs, snowball pecan sandies, peanut butter chocolate kiss cookies. peanut butter fudge balls, coconut fudge balls, chocolate and walnut fudge balls and plain chocolate fudge. Everything came out great!

Dawn....I am blessed to have two teenage daughters who love to cook and bake ....otherwise ....I doubt I would do so much...Merry Christmas
"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did better." ~Maya Angelou

“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes to us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”  ~John Wayne

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2012, 10:13:49 AM »

I don't think I have ever had one, and don't remember hearing of them till I moved up here.  Is that that licorice tasting stuff?
Support the local economy as much as possible!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2012, 10:26:12 AM »

I don't think I have ever had one, and don't remember hearing of them till I moved up here.  Is that that licorice tasting stuff?

I know what you're thinking of...   looks like pieces of colored glass...   real hard...  but I can't remember the name right now...

Some Anise cookies have a German background it looks like...

various photos:

https://www.google.com/search?q=anise+cookies&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_H7UUIz4AaXf0gHS9YHAAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CFkQsAQ&biw=960&bih=542

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2012, 10:31:14 AM »

Dawg, are you talking about 'broken glass' candy? That uses corn syrup and flavoring, including anise/licorice, but I've tasted root beer and lime and others, too. You cook it to hard stage and pour out on wax paper then break it to pieces. I loved that stuff when I was a kid.

We always used anise dough in our cookie press. Hmmm... that might be a fun activity with the girls today!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2012, 10:45:29 AM »

Dawg, are you talking about 'broken glass' candy? That uses corn syrup and flavoring, including anise/licorice, but I've tasted root beer and lime and others, too. You cook it to hard stage and pour out on wax paper then break it to pieces. I loved that stuff when I was a kid.

We always used anise dough in our cookie press. Hmmm... that might be a fun activity with the girls today!

Yes...  that's what they are ;D ;D ;D  My mother and my sister would make it and when it was cool it was my job to 'break it up'!!!

AtypicalGirl

• Hero Talker
  • My handsome boy! :)
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2012, 12:15:38 PM »

I know what you're thinking of...   looks like pieces of colored glass...   real hard...  but I can't remember the name right now...

Some Anise cookies have a German background it looks like...

various photos:

https://www.google.com/search?q=anise+cookies&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_H7UUIz4AaXf0gHS9YHAAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CFkQsAQ&biw=960&bih=542

I just made anise candy a few weeks ago for Live. I HATE the smell (and taste) of anise, but he loves it. It was my first time, and I wish I could have just broke it up! lol He told me to score it and then it would break into small squares. What a PAIN! But he said it turned out great, so I guess it was worth it. haha!

Live makes anise cookies every year, but he makes sure to leave some without, for me.  ;D

I'm not a cookie baker. Every time I try to make cookies from scratch, they don't come out very well. :( I don't know what I do (or don't do), but I've pretty much given up.
Now banana bread... that's something I can make! And it tastes pretty darn good if I do say so myself! :)

This year has been so hectic, I haven't even touched baking. I was really looking forward to banana bread and mini cheesecakes (always a staple at Christmas in my family), but I just haven't had the time. I did have some time yesterday, and the baking bug bit me, but I was cured pretty quick.  8* :P

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2012, 12:07:39 PM »

My wife is baking Christmas cookies today...

I know the song lyrics are "it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas" but around here it's beginning to smell a lot like Christmas...

Production run of the hour:  frosted nutmeg logs 8) 8) 8)

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2012, 12:20:01 PM »

Those look kind of similar to......well, I best not say it.
Support the local economy as much as possible!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up