MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Recipe Exchange > Home Remedies

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Home Remedies  (Read 4663 times)

tnweasel

• Hero Talker
Re: Home Remedies
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 11:45:39 PM »

at the first sign of a sore/croaky throat....I have my daughter gargle with warm salt water....seems to help
"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did better." ~Maya Angelou

“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes to us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”  ~John Wayne

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 04:59:22 AM »

at the first sign of a sore/croaky throat....I have my daughter gargle with warm salt water....seems to help

Wow, that's funny......my Mom had me to the same as a child, I had completely forgotten about that.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

Skittelroo

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 05:03:08 AM »

My grandmother used to put Vick's vapor rub on my chest when I went to bed. Breathing in that stuff seemed to work.

My mother did that to us, and I would do it for my kids.  Rub the Vicks on, pin those old cloth diapers around their body (front and back) and covered with a tee-shirt; either it worked or it sweated it out of them. 

Vicks works on toenail fungus, too. 

NewDawn

• Hero Talker
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 06:59:02 AM »

Tn..add a capfull of peroxide to that warm saltwater. If helps ward off germs...especially strep throat.
everyday is a new beginning....

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2012, 09:05:04 AM »

Tn..add a capfull of peroxide to that warm saltwater. If helps ward off germs...especially strep throat.

We always have peroxide around in the first aid cabinet...   not expensive and very versatile!
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Baggins

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2012, 12:12:40 PM »

I've been looking at the best healing herbs to grow in a garden (see what that seed catalog has done?) and came across an article about garlic and onions as a great cureall. This one sounds pretty potent! I think I'll make it just to see how it tastes and whether it works.

Make a soup with six onions, an entire bulb of garlic, about an inch of grated fresh ginger and cayenne pepper to chase away colds and flu, advises health journalist Hazel Courteney, author of the book "500 Health Tips - An A-A of Alternative Health Hints to Help More Than 200 conditions."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/483598-does-garlic-onions-kill-the-flu-cold-viruses/

Have any favorite cold & flu (or other) home remedies?

I make a soup a lot like that one, but I don't use ginger(I really don't care for the taste)....I use a base of chicken stock(4 cups), lots of onion and garlic, celery, Tabasco, lemon zest, parsly, Basil, thyme, cracked black pepper and red sea salt(you can also use kosher salt of you can't find the red)...I don't really make measurements of the herbs and spices, but tend to be more than a dash, close to a tsp I guess...Bring to boil, then simmer til celery and onion are tender.
"Praise not the day until evening has come,
 A sword until it is tried,
 A maiden until she is married,
 Ice until it has been crossed,
 Beer until it has been drunk!" - (Viking proverb)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up