MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Will MCRC handle the impending snow event in a timely manner??

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Will MCRC handle the impending snow event in a timely manner??  (Read 7907 times)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Re: Will MCRC handle the impending snow event in a timely manner??
« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2012, 01:07:56 PM »

just a chip n seal job and it certainly is not smooth

It appears from their website this is the direction they are going on roads.

Soak em in tar to fill in the cracks and throw some stone on the top...   
then let the cars drive over and pack it down...   8*
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Collegekid

• Hero Talker
  • Doing the impossible makes us mighty.
« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2012, 02:14:50 PM »

And it's terrible. They did it to the road my grandmother lives on, and I can't stand going to visit her because of that.
http://daveherndon.blogspot.com/

You believe in life after death, I believe in death after life

I swear it upon Zeus; an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.

- Socrates

Non Illegitimati Carborundum

"Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they are going to collapse. But the very best know the mind tires before the body and push themselves further and further, beyond all limits. Only when these limits are shattered can the unattainable be reached."

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2012, 03:17:19 PM »

Perhaps she considers that a blessing.  Just sayin'.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2012, 08:10:47 PM »

Maybe it's time for the citizens of Monroe County to soak the road commish employees and management in tar, throw some stone on top and let the citizens run over them....... ;D

Maybe use 'em for pothole filler.....
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2012, 08:13:31 PM »

Just came back from the second family Christmas (we have a big family btw) in Plymouth and 14 was wet, 23 North of Milan was wet but the farther south you came the crappier the road got.  Past Exit 15 it was slicker than cat poop on a lineoleum floor....

Another night in Monkey County..... ;D

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2012, 08:49:07 PM »

I drove to Monroe tonight, and Plank road was slick as snot.  I was doing 35 mph, in four wheel drive, and people were tailgaiting me. Idiots.

Still no plows down my road this year.
Annoy a liberal.  Buy a gun!

lilly

• Hero Talker
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2012, 10:01:10 PM »

LOL Just about like Rauch Road.  bumpy, smooth, bumpy, smooth!  I can't believe someone wrote a thank you in the paper for a job well done!  He/She must have meant the part of Rauch Road right in front of their house!  :-\
I don't believe Rauch Road qualifies to be considered a road anymore.

They should put up a sign that says "Traverse at your own peril".
Contestant 1: I'll take "Emotions of the Conservatives" for 1000 Alex.
Alex Trebek: These two emotions are the bane of Conservative existence.

Contestant 1: What are "empathy and compassion?"
Alex Trebek: "You're right for $1000"

lilly

• Hero Talker
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2012, 10:03:09 PM »

I drove to Monroe tonight, and Plank road was slick as snot.  I was doing 35 mph, in four wheel drive, and people were tailgaiting me. Idiots.

I don't believe Rauch Road qualifies to be considered a road anymore.

They should put up a sign that says "Traverse at your own peril".
Same goes for Plank road.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2012, 10:06:57 PM »

I actually like the chip and seal for the roads that don't get a lot of use.  In the past they would let them go for 30 years more until they completely deteriorated.  It makes sense to apply the chip and seal as the road begins to crack.   Keeps the water out and prolongs the surface to where you can still drive on it.

livewire

• Hero Talker
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2012, 10:16:01 PM »

Same goes for Plank road.

Agreed.

It's really nice east of Yensch Road, but I believe that is called North Custer.  I remember they repaved that section of road about 15 years ago.  Plank Road west and north of Yensch, though, is rougher than any dirt road, with patches on top of the patches.  In many areas, the original road surface isn't even visible any more.  It would be better if they removed the "pavement" and made it a gravel road.

There are dozens of roads just like it in Monroe county.  Yensch Road and Tuttle Hill Road are both in the same shape. 

What a joke.  The MCRC needs to be completely overhauled.  If I were in charge, I would fire every manager in the road commission.

livewire

• Hero Talker
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2012, 10:22:20 PM »

I actually like the chip and seal for the roads that don't get a lot of use.  In the past they would let them go for 30 years more until they completely deteriorated.  It makes sense to apply the chip and seal as the road begins to crack.   Keeps the water out and prolongs the surface to where you can still drive on it.

That is true, but the MCRC doesn't always do it correctly.  I have seen them pour that tar over roads with huge holes in them.  In that case, it's a waste of money.  The road needs to be filled in, and properly prepared, so there are no holes in the pavement that the chip and tar won't fill.  The process is a good way to maintain a roadbed, if done correctly, though.

lilly

• Hero Talker
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2012, 10:24:47 PM »

Agreed.

It's really nice east of Yensch Road, but I believe that is called North Custer.  I remember they repaved that section of road about 15 years ago.  Plank Road west and north of Yensch, though, is rougher than any dirt road, with patches on top of the patches.  In many areas, the original road surface isn't even visible any more.  It would be better if they removed the "pavement" and made it a gravel road.

There are dozens of roads just like it in Monroe county.  Yensch Road and Tuttle Hill Road are both in the same shape. 

What a joke.  The MCRC needs to be completely overhauled.  If I were in charge, I would fire every manager in the road commission.
I believe (not certain) that the road changes names at the train viadock. They all converge there so it's hard to say. Maybe it ends at Yensch.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&q=map+plank+road+dundee+mi&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x883c9fae98d92fc1:0x699b13efab259397,Plank+Rd,+Dundee,+MI+48131&gl=us&sa=X&ei=37PfUPaqN4euqQHtmIDIBg&ved=0CDIQ8gEwAA
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 10:27:41 PM by lilly »

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2012, 11:31:04 PM »

You got some suspension.  I can't do 35 on Plank in the summer.  That road flat sucks anytime.....

Maybe the ice and snow fills in the craters.....

You should have jammed on the brakes....  I know your Ford sits high in the back.  Just the catch all for some idiot's grill and radiator....

jbs49238

• Hero Talker
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2012, 03:55:33 AM »

Why in the world would anyone use Plank as a primary road is beyond me.  No one gets off 23 to use Plank as a primary road to Monroe (or Dundee for that matter) and in modern days there are much better routes to get where you want to go.

MCRC will NEVER solve its problems until it lets the State take care of "State Roads" instead of subcontracting them to the County at a discounted rate.  Lenawee County does a great job with its roads... afterall we exclusively use county funds to pay for our workers and they exclusively maintain OUR roads.

livewire

• Hero Talker
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2012, 07:41:42 AM »

Why in the world would anyone use Plank as a primary road is beyond me. 

Well, I live next to Plank Road, there really is no other way to get to a good road, and my helicopter is in the shop.    ;)

Plank Road is a primary road, whether you think it is or not.  Thousands of big trucks and cars use it every year to get to the Dragway.  A lot of people have died needlessly on that road, too.  It's far too narrow, it has many sharp curves, and it is poorly maintained.

I think maybe we should limit the number of cars allowed to go down Plank Road.  Not a total ban on all cars, but if we limit the number of cars, that would most likely save lives. 

Or should we just fix the fricking road?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 21   Go Up