MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Do we need more gun control?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 150   Go Down

Author Topic: Do we need more gun control?  (Read 64778 times)

Collegekid

• Hero Talker
  • Doing the impossible makes us mighty.
Re: Do we need more gun control?
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2013, 10:36:30 PM »

Eh, Harry Potter is a dweeb.

Watch it now.
http://daveherndon.blogspot.com/

You believe in life after death, I believe in death after life

I swear it upon Zeus; an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.

- Socrates

Non Illegitimati Carborundum

"Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they are going to collapse. But the very best know the mind tires before the body and push themselves further and further, beyond all limits. Only when these limits are shattered can the unattainable be reached."

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2013, 07:04:29 AM »

what god ya got that you feel all happy he put that log in your eye

Man some critters got no sense.

I would respond if I had any idea of what it was you were trying to say.

You use words, sentence structures, and a dialect that I find it difficult to comprehend.

I have the God where you capitalize the G.  Jesus Christ is my Savior. 

Please look up John 3:16.  I included a handy link if you need it.  Let me know if you would like to discuss that verse.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%203:16&version=NIV

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2013, 08:05:20 AM »

Watch it now.

Better yet, read the books :-). . . they are (pun intended) magical . . :-)
"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2013, 08:15:56 AM »

Watch it now.
Better yet, read the books :-). . . they are (pun intended) magical . . :-)

Oh, I never said I didn't like the Harry Potter movies.  They are very entertaining, and well-written stories.

I just think Harry Potter himself is a dweeb.   ;D
The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
~ Albert Einstein

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2013, 08:18:34 AM »

I just think Harry Potter himself is a dweeb.   ;D

He is . . . but, "nerd" is the new "cool" . . . :-)
"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2013, 08:59:56 AM »

Help me understand this argument.  There seems to be nothing but histrionics, IMO. 

Everyone (even the NRA) agrees that making stricter background checks is a good thing (I'm not sure how you get around the legalities of HIPPA but we will see). 

There seems to be a consensus that closing the loopholes of gun shows and individual sales is a good thing and could be done. (meaning only purchase from a listened firearms dealer). 

Doesn't this mean we have common ground? 

What I don't get is the misunderstanding or intentional misrepresentation of "facts". 

Yes, we have weapons in America.  We have lots of weapons to be fair.  But, according to the United Nations we rank 28th in the list of countires in terms of murder rate with weapons.  Our own FBI indicates murder has gone down (per capita) since 1980 and the CDC ranks murder as the 15th likely cause of death.   

According to the FBI, violent crime has also been on a downword trend since 1997. 

While I dislike criminal behavior in general it would seem with all the "weapons" on the streets we act pretty civil as a society.  I mean, there are 27 countries with a higher rate of murder than America and even the UK has a higher rate of violent crime (yes, I know they include crimes we don't but you have to use the statistics at hand and not "cherry pick" what suits your agenda). 

When did we become a society that is so willing to forget the Constitution? 

I think this argument is not so much about "weapons" but about political philosophy. 

If it were just about logically looking at the impact of weapons on our society, then I do not believe we would be having this discussion.  Instead we would be talking about how do we find preventative measures to end the 55% of gun deaths that are suicides. 

We would also highlight the fact that of the total number of "gun deaths" in America includes not only those tragic suicides but also "justifiable" homicides (Police or private citizens) resulting from the commission of a crime.   

I love statistics and although I know not everyone does the truth is that numbers don't lie.  I hope that the Vice-President's Commission honestly spends time looking at and dissecting the numbers prior to "reacting".  If they don't, IMO, there will be unintended consequences that could be horrific. 

If anyone is truly interested in just looking at "facts" without the emotional agenda a nice "unbiased" place to look is statista.  They are a partner of Dow-Jones and are used by many people in grant writing.  The statistics they produce are widely accepted by both State and Federal auditors for grant compliance. 

Until folks honestly look at what is behind the "curtain" this, IMO, has become a circular argument. 

http://www.statista.com/statistics/195331/number-of-murders-in-the-us-by-state/

Ash Williams

• Hero Talker
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2013, 09:07:36 AM »

You use words, sentence structures, and a dialect that I find it difficult to comprehend.

Please look up John 3:16.  I included a handy link if you need it.  Let me know if you would like to discuss that verse.

Does you always talk in circles      You would respond if ya know what I say but do respond so ya know what I say and play game ya don’t

Mister big shot with his 50 doctor diplomas has to play insult instead of answer his own stupid

No sir   no sir at all  The God you say would not put a telephone pole in your eye

My momma always told me gator is still a gator even when it say it a bunny

Wood the Lord say all those peeps has to be lazy because they are not his political party

Wood the Lord say all those other peeps are evil because they different

Wood the Lord answer a question or just toss some insults to avoid answerin

Deuteronomy 15:11
There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land.

livewire

• Hero Talker
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2013, 09:10:19 AM »

Will, you're assuming that our government is looking to actually reduce crime, with no other political agenda.

Sadly, that is not the case.

If it were, the statistics are irrefutable, and they wouldn't even consider banning high capacity magazines, or guns with certain cosmetic features, just because they look militaristic. The so-called "Assault Weapon Ban" is useless, especially when our illustrious leaders can't even define "Assault Weapon".

It's pitiful, really. 

But the average American just wants SOMETHING done.  The average American is ignorant.
The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
~ Albert Einstein

Ash Williams

• Hero Talker
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2013, 09:13:55 AM »

Are you on drugs?

See there ya go  playing you is a God fearin man and just insutin

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2013, 09:22:40 AM »

The average American is ignorant.
...if they don't agree with you.

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2013, 09:28:29 AM »

Will, you're assuming that our government is looking to actually reduce crime, with no other political agenda.

Sadly, that is not the case.

If it were, the statistics are irrefutable, and they wouldn't even consider banning high capacity magazines, or guns with certain cosmetic features, just because they look militaristic. The so-called "Assault Weapon Ban" is useless, especially when our illustrious leaders can't even define "Assault Weapon".

It's pitiful, really. 

But the average American just wants SOMETHING done.  The average American is ignorant.

Ignorant means to be lacking of knowledge.  I believe that if given the information honestly, without an agenda, most people would reach a reasonable opinion (even if I disagree with it).  The problem is I don't honestly see that happening. 

It is like the Ralph Nader argument against the Corvair (Unsafe at any speed).  Production was stopped.  The vehicle got a bad name and then years later (1971 to be exact) the DOT concluded testing and stated; "the 1960-63 Corvair compares favorably with contemporary vehicles used in the tests...the handling and stability performance of the 1960-63 Corvair does not result in an abnormal potential for loss of control or rollover, and it is at least as good as the performance of some contemporary vehicles both foreign and domestic."

Same issue; public safety, IMO.  Instead we cry for "safety" and "security" from a Government that has proved that they are ineffective at providing either and make reactionary decisions that have little or no consequences while trampling on our Constitutional rights.  I just don't get it. 

livewire

• Hero Talker
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2013, 09:39:26 AM »

...if they don't agree with you. common sense.

There.  I fixed it for you.

Speaking of common sense, how's this one, Monique?

While putting more stupid restrictions on law abiding AMERICAN citizens, Obama and Holder are actually pushing to make it EASIER to buy guns, for IMMIGRANTS!

How many Americans knew this?

Did you? 

The average American is ignorant to the facts.  I stand by that statement.
Doesn't mean they're stupid - they just don't KNOW the truth.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/12/24/Merry-Christmas-immigrants-Obama-Holder-push-to-loosen-alien-gun-sales-restrictions
~ Albert Einstein

livewire

• Hero Talker
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2013, 09:43:44 AM »

See there ya go  playing you is a God fearin man and just insutin

I didn't mean to insult.  Nor did I mean to insut, whatever that is.

But you never answered my question.
~ Albert Einstein

T-M-T

• Hero Talker
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2013, 09:44:19 AM »

I love it when "Conservatives" start talking about God and the Bible. 

If someone carjacks you, God doesn't want you to pull out a gun and shoot them.  You're supposed to hand over the keys, especially if you have two cars and the robber is poor and has none.

The Bible addresses many issues, but none more than helping the poor and unfortunate.  There are over 300 times where the Bible commands us to do so.  Please  note that none of those verses have caveats or excuses.  None of them add "...once a year" or "...when you feel you can" or "...if they're moral" or "...unless they're black" or "...if they speak English".   God just wants those needy people helped. 

If you're really so God-fearing and God-worshipping, why aren't you selling everything you have and helping the poor?  Don't you want to go to heaven?

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:46:16 AM by T-M-T »

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2013, 09:48:20 AM »

Again, this is YOUR version of "common sense." Common sense to me would mean removing all guns except hunting rifles or shotguns. Common sense says that the 2nd Amendment did not mean that every citizen should maintain an arsenal of military grade automatic weapons. Common sense says that fewer guns means less access to killing machines which means fewer homicides/suicides/accidental deaths by guns.

THAT is common sense.

Right back to our circular argument. You go on without me. I have some letters to write.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 150   Go Up