MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Lawmaker: Allow parents to buy alcohol for adult children

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lawmaker: Allow parents to buy alcohol for adult children  (Read 431 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
Lawmaker: Allow parents to buy alcohol for adult children
« on: January 09, 2013, 11:53:47 AM »

I'd be interested in hearing some comments on the topic...   pro and con.

This particular article is about a legislative proposal in Colorado and Wisconsin already has a similar law on the books.  Is this something that should be considered nationwide?   

Your 18 year olds can vote and join the military but can't drink.  And this wouldn't allow them to drink without Mom or Dad being present.  Would it help 'ease them in' to dealing with alcohol?  Teach them to be more responsible before they turned 21 and could go crazy?

My youngest is 23 so not my question to answer although from what I've read and heard I would certainly support a similar proposal here. 

And I'm certainly not naive enough to think an 18 year old that wants alcohol today has much trouble obtaining it.  I see the benefits of doing it with adult supervision!

Article:  http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/Lawmaker-Allow-parents-to-buy-alcohol-for-adult-children/-/1719418/18061338/-/w4s09h/-/index.html
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Lawmaker: Allow parents to buy alcohol for adult children
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 12:40:24 PM »

Appears to be another lawmaker with a lack of grey matter.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 12:47:53 PM »

I think the law is okay the way it is.  If kids want to drink they will find a way.  And my personal opinion is just because they drink at home doesn't mean they won't abuse it at a party.
Kids drink at parties because of peer pressure.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 03:34:42 PM »

The law was 18 when I grew up and we seemed to manage...

The issue is teaching responsibility. 
If some would rather look the other way and say - "hey it happens"...  then I'm not sure what responsibility that shows.

First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 11:21:43 PM »

I see no reason to change the law.  There are far too many irresponsible 18 year-olds out there.

Yes, it seems inconsistent that 18 year-olds can join the military and vote.  They can shoot a fully automatic rifle in the Army at 18 years old, but they have to wait until they are 21 to buy a handgun, or handgun ammunition, as a civilian. Makes no sense to me.

Yes, they will have access to alcohol before they turn 21... and even before they turn 18 - no matter what the law says.  They also have access to all kinds of drugs - from middle school on.  It doesn't make it right.

Parenting is the key.  Teaching right from wrong. 
Annoy a liberal.  Buy a gun!

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 08:17:27 AM »

I was lucky to be "grandfathered" in to by alcohol in Ohio when I turned 18.  They changed the law a couple of months after my birthday.  Didn't really matter because we were buying it from  a nice, helpful partystore in Stoney Pointe well before that ;-). 

I can see both sides of this but fear that to many parents would not act responsibly.  Too many folks my age want to the "friends" with their children and not parents. 

"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt

tnweasel

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 08:44:18 AM »

growing up in an alcoholic home.... my sense of the idea of  'drinking' with your parents is definitely skewed..... my husband and I both stopped drinking...even socially...several years ago.... me for health reasons and him because he doesn't have the time...... I wouldn't be very comfortable drinking 'with' my children even though our son is 26.... somehow in my mind I still believe there are simply some things that parents and children should not participate in together..... just one more step to being friends instead of parents for me.... I don't have a problem with 18 year-olds in the military having privileges not allowed to civilians but that is another topic :)
"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did better." ~Maya Angelou

“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes to us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”  ~John Wayne

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 09:31:35 AM »

Hmmm.... Interesting question. My kids are so young, I haven't even thought about them consuming alcohol. I discourage them mightily from tobacco and warn them about drugs and peer pressure. I tell them the best way to avoid addiction is to never start. I'm not sure how I will feel when they're 18 and want to drink. I'll probably let them taste a very dry red wine and straight whiskey and tell them that all of it tastes that way!!  ;D (It worked on soda--they can't stand to drink anything fizzy!)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 11:54:29 AM »

Always good to impart your views and principles on your kids.  However, don't stifle them.  Let them have some latitude in discovering what is good and what isn't for themselves.

First hand experience is a better teacher, always has been.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 02:46:46 PM »

Not a fan of alcohol...grew up watching the negative aspects...but I have pondered the restrictions placed on the old enough for the military yet too young to drink sort of thing.

One solution would be to either raise the age of military eligibility to 21....(I enlisted at 17....much too young IMO)

Or lower the age to legally drink.

I wonder if a scientific basis exists or if the age of majority is completely arbitrary.

Sadly, current law made lots of teens into lawbreakers...or as the rightwingers in the cheap seats would say...criminals.
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
John Stuart Mill

Willful ignorance, PaTROLLing, bullying, dishonesty, and hypocrisy are among the traits that are common amongst those that espouse the Republican/Conservative/Tea Party ideology.

A non-response doesn't mean you've won, it merely means the obnoxious, illiterate, right-wing morons have taken too much of my time already.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 12:15:58 AM »

Cheap seats huh.....  I prefer the Loge' myself. Seating is more comfortable and service is better too.....

Of interest, when I was growing up at home, a family tradition was wine with Sunday dinner.  I started out with grape juice but somewhere around 10 or 11, I had wine as well.  I see nothing wrong with that.  I see an issue with the wholesale supplying of children with alcohol.  Everything needs to be in moderation.  One issue with our society it seems, no one can moderate anything today.  It's all out or nothing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up